United Kingdom / London

all or unphotographed
Blue plaque commemorating samuel l. clemens mark twain 1835 1910 american writer lived here in 1896 7
Samuel L. Clemens, 'Mark Twain' 1835-1910 American writer lived here in 1896-7

23 Tedworth Square, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
32089489962 04ec5753b0 m
Sir Rowland Hill 1795-1879 Pioneer of the modern postal service lived in a house on this site 1836-1839

2 Burton Crescent, later named Cartwright Gardens, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
On this site susan garth launched london's first antiques market
On this site Susan Garth launched London's first antiques market making The Portobello Road an international institution

Portobello Road , London, United Kingdom

Subjects
The elizabeth fry refuge 1849 1913 to help women in need. elizabeth fry 1780 1845 reformer of conditions for female prisoners
The Elizabeth Fry Refuge 1849-1913 To help women in need. Elizabeth Fry, 1780-1845 Reformer of conditions for female prisoners.

195 Mare Street, Hackney, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Here stood the globe playhouse of shakespeare 1598   1613
Here stood the Globe Playhouse of Shakespeare 1598 - 1613

Park Street, SE1, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Kirkaldy testing works (historic southwark)
Kirkaldy Testing Works This building was built in 1874 for David Kirkaldy (1820-1897). In 1857 Kirkaldy helped form the Institution of Engineers in Scotland and was the first person to set up a load testing machine for construction materials powerful enough to deal with the largest specimens. The original 48 foot long machine, able to apply a load of over 300 tones, is still in position today.

99 Southwark Street, London, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Kirkaldy Materials Testing Machine Built in 1865 to David Kirkaldy's design. This machine established the present-day system of materials testing and specifications of mechanical properties for engineering materials.

99 Southwark Street, SE1, London, United Kingdom

The rose theatre (southwark)
The Rose Theatre built here in 1587 first Elizabethan theatre of Bankside. Voted by the people.

56 Park Street, SE1, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
James Upjohn clock maker 1765-1794

33 St John's Lane, EC1, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
35661783293 5256f6cbfb m
John Stephen 1934-2004 founder of Carnaby Street as world centre for men's fashion in the 1960's

Carnaby Street, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
36332880901 7300c222b6 m
Site of the last home of James Barry 1741–1806 Irish artist and creator of the murals at The Royal Society of Arts

36 Eastcastle Street, W1, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
32137492621 3db377ebfa m
Charlotte Mew 1869-1928 Poet lived here 1869-1890

30 Doughty Street, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
36419612606 38fda21f57 m
Laura Ashley designer 1925-1985 began printing fabrics here with her husband, Bernard 1954-1956

83 Cambridge Street, SW1, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
35657802143 500ee5e93d m
Sir Winston Churchill lived here 1909-1913

34 Eccleston Square, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
36297934902 6bfa3e045b m
Sir Michael Costa 1808–1884 conductor and orchestra reformer lived here 1857-1883

59 Eccleston Square, SW1, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
36465190775 d090284497 m
Jomo Kenyatta c.1894-1978 first President of the Republic of Kenya lived here 1933-1937

95 Cambridge Street, Westminster, SW1, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
36067854890 5d646f8f29 m
Aubrey Beardsley 1872-1898 artist lived here

114 Cambridge Street, Westminster, SW1, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
John Lewis silk mercer of Oxford Street resided at Spedan Tower, Hampstead from 1888 to 1928 as did his elder son John Spedan Lewis later founder of the John Lewis partnership this plaque is placed near the site of Spedan Tower

Grange Gardens, Templewood Avenue, NW3, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
36277489732 1240803710 m
Railway Heritage Feature Richmond Station sign (c1935-38) This vitreous enamel sign stood, for many years, outside Richmond Richmond mainline station. Photographic evidence shows it in place by the late 1930s and it appears to have been removed during the 1970s. The date of manufacture can certainly be better understood given the overall design and various styles of lettering and logos it shows. During the 1930s, when the new London Transport (formed in 1933) experimented with various designs of signs, most used his pale yellow background with the maroon border. The arrow at the base of the sign was known as a ‘Mexican arrow’ and this example, with three flights on the arrow, dates it to post 1933, as prior to that date it would have had four flights. The sign also uses colour blocks as background to the text and this was increasingly used as a device by the Underground during this period. The design of some signs was further standardised when, in 1938, LT issued the first ‘Standard Signs Manual’. Richmond was owned and primarily served by the Southern Railway who, during this period developed their own ‘house style’ that included this “sunshine” style of lined out lettering. The underground logo, using the company’s Johnston typeface, has the distinctive white bands (or “ribbons”) above and below the letters. Then, as now, Richmond was served by the district line. The “LMS” lettering refers to the London Midland & Scottish Railway, another of the ‘big four’ railway companies that had been formed in 1923, and ran the North London Railway services between Richmond and Broad Street. This service is now provided by London Overground The sign is a fascinating reminder of an earlier period of ‘co-ordination’ of elements of London's transport service that finally came to fruition with the formation of TfL. LU acquired the sign in 2008 from a private collector, who had salvaged the sign when it was removed, and is displayed here as part of LU’s heritage.

55 Broadway, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
35610971094 975bdfbd6a m
Railway Heritage Feature Underground Map of London (circa 1931) The map was manufactured by The Chromographic Enamel Company in Wolverhampton, reputed to have been established in around 1885, and who were one of the largest manufacturers of enamel signs during the heyday of such advertising signs. The map was originally located at the ‘Grade 2 Listed’ Ealing Common station and probably dates from the reconstruction of the station that was completed in 1932. It shows the various different railway companies of that time before they were eventually amalgamated into the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933, following a series of buyouts and merge that made the Underground Group the largest component of the new ‘London Transport’. The map was recently rediscovered and is displayed here as part of LU’s heritage.

55 Broadway, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
36398552326 a0c9a13563 m
Railway Heritage Feature Directional sign from Blackfriars tube station, (c1930) This vitreous enamel sign was situated inside the entrance to the original Blackfriars station and was salvaged during the building work in c1975. The station was heavily redeveloped during that period, resulting in the demolition of the original c1870 highly ornate facade. The sign is typical of those designed for use on the Underground during the late 1920s and early 1930s when much thought was given to the standardisation of sign design and typefaces used. The sign displays the ones heavy timber frames used – In the early 1930s Charles Holden developed a slimmer bronze frame for signs used on new and reconstructed stations. It appears that many older stations that received new signs at this time continued to have the timber framed versions. The pale yellow background was also commonly used – along with the use of the purposely designed Johnston black lettering that works so well in this situation being both legible and authoritative. The style of the arrow, the flight of which appears to pierce the ring of the roundel, is also indicative of the sign’s age. This device, commonly known as ‘Mexican arrow’, was used on signs from the mid-1920s until the 1960s as a unique graphic tool and also added familiarity to the brand London Transport. The use of four flights to the arrow dates it to the years either side of 1930. By c1932 it was used with three flights and later decades saw the number gradually drop to two, then one and finally none. The site was donated by Mr. A H Rolph

55 Broadway, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Fetter lane congregational chapel (waltham forest)
Fetter Lane Congregational Chapel. Grade II Listed building. Designed by P Morley Horder in 1899 in an Arts & Crafts style. Named after Fetter Lane Church in the City of London (established in 1660) which moved to Leyton in 1894

New Testament Assembly church, Langthorne Road E10, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of anchor brewery
Site of the Anchor Brewery. List of brewers: The Monger Family 1616-1670 Josiah Child 1670-1693 Edmund Halsey MP 1693-1729 Ralph Thrale 1729-1758 Henry Thrale 1758-1781 Barclay, Perkins & Co. 1781-1955 Courage Ltd. 1955-1986

Park Street, SE1, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Borough market (southwark)
Borough Market London's oldest fruit and veg market

Borough Market, 8 Southwark Street, Borough, London SE1 1TL, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
To commemorate the opening of BARNARDS WHARF This plaque was unveiled by Actor and Television Personality FRASER HINES on FRIDAY 10th JULY 1992

Barnards Wharf, London, United Kingdom

36237206942 d1d52c171a m
The poet and statesman John Milton was born 1608 in Bread Street

Bow Bells House, Bread Street, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
36237924102 9f7d73b930 m
Former site of Faraday Building Nth., City, Central, Long Distance and International telephone exchanges 1902 - 1982

Addle Hill, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Here lived John Horne Tooke 1736–1812 radical reformer

Chester House, Westside Common, SW19, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
17090489770 6c2513c59c m
Sir Charles Barry 1795-1860 architect lived and died here

The Elms, 29 -32 Clapham Common North Side, SW4 0RN, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Kew Bridge Pumping Station Unique in its approach to the preservation of water pumping equipment, in particular the original installations of five famous Cornish beam engines.

Kew Bridge Steam Museum, Green Dragon Lane, Brentford, TW8 0EN, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The King’s Head

High Street, Harrow on the Hill, London, United Kingdom

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The British Ballet Organisation founded by Louise Kay and Edouard Espinosa in 1930

Woolborough House, 39 Lonsdale Road, SW13, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Captain matthew flinders r.n. 1774 1814 explorer and navigator lived here
Captain Matthew Flinders RN 1774-1814 explorer and navigator lived here

56 Fitzroy Street, Camden, W1, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Fred Perry 1909-1995 tennis champion played here 1919-1935

Brentham Club, Meadvale Road, W5, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
John Passmore Edwards 1823-1911

Vernon Hall, Roman Road, Bow, E3, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Honeywood. In the 1880's John Kirk, a merchant, reconstructed a building called Wandle Cottage on this site and transferred the name 'Honeywood' from the neighbouring house, which he demolished. Novelist and philosopher William Henry Hale White ("Mark Rutherford") lived in Wandle Cottage, 1804-6. A watercourse runs beneath the house.

Honeywood Walk, Carshalton, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Co-founder of the RAD and BBO Espinosa 1871-1950 Maitre de Ballet lived and taugh here 1913-1950

Woolborough House, 39 Lonsdale Road, SW13, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Winnie The Pooh world famous teddy bear was 'born' in the soft toy factory of J. K. Farnell & Co Ltd adjacent to 'The Elms' Acton in 1921

Twyford C of E High School, Twyford Crescent, W3, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Richard White founder of the Mill Hill Park estate, eminent lawyer and founder member of the Law Society lived here 1809-1849. This is the east wing of his original mansion

11 Avenue Crescent, W3, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Arthur Haynes 1914-1966 comedian and King Rat lived here 1963-1966

74 Gunnersbury Avenue, W5, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Bunter 738
Charles Hamilton known as Frank Richards creator of Billy Bunter was born in a house on this site 8 August 1876

Ealing Broadway Centre, W5, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
George meredith green plaque
Site of former Kingston Lodge home of novelist George Meredith from 1865 to 1868

Buick House, London Road, Norbiton, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Stanmore Hall. Original building constructed 1843. Extended in 1885 with William Morris interiors. Owners have included William Knox D'Arcy, founder of Anglo Iranian Oil Company (later British Petroleum), Robert Holland balloonist and his wife Helen authoress.

Wood Lane, Stanmore, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
C.l.r. james 1901 1989 west indian writer and political activist lived and died here
C. L. R. James 1901-1989 West Indian writer and political activist lived and died here

165 Railton Road, Brixton, Lambeth, SE24, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Mervyn Mansell MBE DSC 1918-2009 player and colts coaching manager. A lifelong contribution

Ealing Cricket Club, Corfton Road, W5, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
4169976 e7aa0cac 120x120
St Lawrence Whitchurch rebuilt 1715 with baroque interior by James Brydges, later Duke of Chandos, who lived in nearby 'Cannons' and employed G. F. Handel as composer-in-residence

St Lawrence’s Church, Whitchurch Lane, Canons Park, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Harry Vardon professional golfer born May 9th 1870 lived in this house from 1903 until he died in 1937

35 Totteridge Lane, Whetstone, N20, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Harry Tate (1872-1940) Near here stood Camden House, once home of Harry Tate from 1920-31. Born Ronald Hutchinson in Scotland in 1872, he adopted 'Tate' as a stage name. He became a music hall star successful in revue and silent films and was one of the first entertainers to broadcast.

27 Camden Road, Sutton, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
39 Bow Road a tribute to George Lansbury who lived for 23 years in the house formerly on this site Mayor of Poplar, Member of Parliament, Minister of the Crown and Privy Councillor he was a great servant of the people of Bow

39 Bow Road, Bow, E3, London, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Tivoli Lodge 1830 built 1830 by Decimus Burton. The entrance lodge to Royal Beulah Spa and Pleasure Gardens

39 Beulah Hill, Upper Norwood, SE19, London, United Kingdom

Subjects