Chiswick Park station Listed as a building of National Significance Architect: Charles Holden, 1933 The station first opened on 1 July 1879 by the Metroploitan District Railway when the railway was extended from Turnham Green to Ealing Broadway. The station was originally named 'Acton Green' and was renamed to 'Chiswick Park' on 1 March 1910. The original station was demolished in 1931 to accommodate the new Piccadilly line tracks, although the Piccadilly line has never served this station, and the new building opened in 1933. The new station was designed by Charles Holden in a modern European style using brick, reinforced concrete and glass. Similar to the station at Arnos Grove that Holden designed for the eastern Piccadilly line extension, the station's predominant feature is the tall semi-circular ticket hall. Externally the brick walls of the ticket hall are punctuated with panels of clerestory windows and the structure is capped with a flat concrete slab roof. To make the station's location visible from Chiswick High Road the station was also provided with a square brick tower surmounted by the roundel and the stations name. The ticket hall once housed a central passimeter, whcih has now been replaced with the brick built ticket office accommodation which has altered the appearance of the grandiose hall. The station was Grade II listed on 18 February 1987.
Hugh Lupus first Duke of Westminster KC lesser to the improved industrial dwellings cov. ltd. of this and other buildings on his London estate accommodating nearly 4000 persons of the working class. The friend and benefactor of his poorer brethren. 1899