United Kingdom / Ludlow

all or unphotographed
Before 1270 this market place was colonised with 'rows' of stalls: <-Butchers' Row Shoemakers' Row Lockiers' Row ->

Market Place, Ludlow, United Kingdom

8 High Street. The George Inn in the 17th century, Remains of a 16th century building found during restorations in 1979.

8 High Street, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Conduit A water supply point, given to the town in 1581 by Sir Henry Sidney, was moved here from the High Cross in 1743.

High Street, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Bull Ring; the Beast Market until the 18th century. 1-6 Bull Ring: the Cooks' Row in the Middle Ages.

1-6 The Bullring, Ludlow, United Kingdom

No. 29 Broad Street The birthplace and boyhood home of James Vashon 1742 - 1828 who joined the Navy as a Midshipman and rose to become Admiral of the White.

29 Broad Street, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Subjects
No. 19 Broad Street From 1748 to 1752 the town house of Marmaduke Gwyn of Breconshire; his daughter Sarah married Charles Wesley in 1749.

19 Broad Street, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Subjects
No. 18 Broad Street. Built as a town house for the Salways of Richards Castle, prominent Parliamentarians and Whigs.

18 Broad St, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Feathers Hotel Became an inn c. 1670. Much altered in the mid-19th century when the balcony was added for electioneering. Has been called 'a treasure of a house, inside and out'.

Bull Ring, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Subjects
7-10 King Street. Kingston's Place in the Middle Ages with 5 shops, solars above and a cloth manufactory behind.

7 King Street, Ludlow, United Kingdom

20 King Street 1 Broad Street Built in the early 15th. century with crown post roof Originally draper's shops below with a goldsmith's premises above

20 King Street, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Feathers Hotel An older building was enlarged and refronted in 1619. It was the home of Rees Jones of Pembrokeshire, an Attorney at the Council of the Marches. His initials are on the lock plate.

Bull Ring, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Subjects
17, The Bull Ring. Members of the Council of the Marches lived on this site in the early 17th century.

17 Bull Ring, Ludlow, United Kingdom

No 49 Broad Street. Once the Talbot Inn, owned by the Earls of Shrewsbury.

?, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Tamberlaine House. Once the premises of Tamberlaine Davies (1620-1685), a rich mercer. The High Cross stood in front of this building until 1743.

?, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Subjects
22 and 23 The Bull Ring. The Griffin Inn occupied this site from the 16th century until 1721

, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Mary Edwards 1750-1815 First female "computer" lived and worked from 4 Brand Lane. She was employed by the Board of Longitude to compute astronomical tables for the British Nautical Almanac between 1773 & 1815

4 Brand Lane, Ludlow, United Kingdom

The Croft An 18th century house named after Christ Croft, a wide medieval ditch at right angles to the street.

12 Dinham, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Dinham Hall Built in 1792 by Samuel Nash, agent of Richard Payne Knight of Downton Castle.

10 Dinham, Ludlow, United Kingdom

2, Dinham 'Newly built' in 1656 after burning in the Civil War.

2 Dinham, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Dinham House An 18th century town house used by the Knights of Downton, the Johnes of Croft Castle and Earls of Powis, Lucien Bonaparte was a prisoner here in 1811.

Dinham, Ludlow, United Kingdom

Nos 50-58 Broad Street. Site of The Crown, once Ludlow's largest and most fashionable inn. The owner went bankrupt in 1818.

50 Broad Street, Ludlow, United Kingdom

The Angel. An inn since 1555 or earlier. In 1822, the Aurora coach went from here to London in 27 hours.

Broad Street, Ludlow, United Kingdom

King Street and the Narrows. Formerly Draper's Row. In the Middle Ages the drapers were the wealthiest of Ludlow's trade guilds. This propetry became a bank in 1886.

King Street, Ludlow, United Kingdom

The Butter Cross. Rebuilt 1743-46 to a design by William Baker. Blue Coat charity school once held in upper room.

?, Ludlow, United Kingdom