United Kingdom / Martock

all or unphotographed
Market House 18th C Former market place, meeting house and town hall, this building housed an early fire-cart and later the horse drawn fire engine. The top floor was used for parochial meetings and dispensing charity bread, and is still the meeting place of the Parish Council. The stocks were first located here next to the Pinnacle in 1800.

Market House, Martock, United Kingdom

The Parish Hall 19th C The Martock Liberals built this hall on the site of the historic Chantry, following a refusal by the Reverend Salmon to permit the use of the Market House for political meetings.

Church Street, Martock, United Kingdom

Bridge House 19th C William Wayne Westcott (1848-1925) lived here, surgeon, supreme Magus for the Sociatas Rosicruciana in Anglia, founder of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, Master of the Occult, Freemason of Grand Rank. He was a local physician for 9 years, coroner for central London, founder of the Westcott Hermetic Library and author of many books on medicine, the occult and Freemasonry.

Water Street, Martock, United Kingdom

The George Inn 16th C Martock's oldest inn, possibly as early as 1512, regularly used by friendly societies, parochial bodies and a Masonic Lodge. T Stocker (1786-1817), maker of long case clocks and watches, who introduced Hire Purchase to Martock, collected his payments and held ballots here monthly.

Church Street, Martock, United Kingdom

Subjects
Parrett Works 19th C. Built in 1854 on the site of old Cary's Mill, mentioned in the Doomsday Book, this was originally a flour mill, then a flax mill and canvas and rope makers, later manufacturing engineering products. More than 300 persons were employed here at its prime.

?, Martock, United Kingdom