United Kingdom / Newcastle upon Tyne

all or unphotographed
The Mill. Mabel’s Mill, a water corn mill of the Ridleys, existed here by 1739. From circa. 1848 called Heaton Mill. A flint mill from mid to late 19th century. Acquired by Lord Armstrong in 1862.

Jesmond Dene, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Yevgeni Zamyatin 1884-1937. Eminent Russian writer, lived here 1916-17. His early novels were based on Newcastle. His masterpiece 'We' was a major influence on Orwell's '1984'.

19 Sanderson Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

28 Clayton Street West Offices of Richard Grainger, visionary and builder. Here in 4th July 1861, he was taken ill while working & died that day.

28 Clayton Street West, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
This plaque was erected to commemorate the visit of the Cutty Sark Tall Ships Races fleet to Newcastle Quayside 15-19 July 1986. Councillor J.P. Laing The Lord Mayor Gen. Sir Patrick Howard-Dobson Chairman, S.T.A. Sailing

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Newcastle Central Station John Dobson designed this station and train shed in 1847-50. The Portico was added in 1863 by Thomas Prosser.

Central Railway Station, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
St. Mary's Place John Dobson designed this row of houses in 1829 to complement his church of St Thomas' opposite.

St. Mary's Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
This boundary mark is one of many erected in the 18th century to define the Town Moor, Nuns Moor and Castle Leazes. It now marks the approximate position of the south east corner of the Town Moor and is erected here to remind the citizens of Newcastle upon Tyne of the extent of their heritage.

Newcastle Civic Centre, Barras Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Alderman James Clydesdale 1879-1962. Lived in and served the West End of Newcastle as a council member between 1922 and 1962. Appointed Lord Mayor in 1945. Aided by his wife, Mary (d. 1946), “Jimmy” was committed to social reform and a lifelong campaigner for the rights of the blind.

West End Customer Service Centre and Library, Condercum Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Clayton Street. Named after John Clayton (1792-1890), the influential Town Clerk of Newcastle from 1822-1867. The centre of Newcastle was largely rebuilt in a neoclassical style by the combined efforts of the builder, developer and entrepreneur Richard Grainger, the architect John Dobson, and the Town Clerk John Clayton. Clayton Street was completed in 1841 as the final part of this grand scheme for town improvements. John Clayton was Town Clerk of Newcastle for 45 years and held numerous influential positions. He will be remembered for his part in the magnificent planning and rebuilding of Newcastle city centre. The efforts of Richard Grainger and John Dobson could not have been realised without the influence, business sense and wealth of Clayton. He was a keen archaeologist and his dedication to Hadrian’s Wall proved invaluable to its later preservation. He died, worth three-quarters of a million, at his Chesters estate on Hadrian’s Wall.

Clayton Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Grainger Market. Named after local builder, developer and entrepreneur Richard Grainger and opened in October 1835. The Grainger Market was built to replace an open-air butchers’ market, which lay between Mosley Street and High Bridge and is one of the few remaining 19th century covered buildings still trading as a market in the UK. Inspired and built by Richard Grainger, John Clayton and the architect John Dobson, the Grainger Market revolutionised shopping in its day, standing as the largest indoor market in Europe. At the time of its opening the Grainger Market was described by the Evening Chronicle as being, “the most beautiful in the world”. The market still holds many of its original features today, including the Weigh House, which was a legal requirement for all markets at the time to check the weight of purchases. More recently it has been used to accurately weigh customers instead! The worlds oldest and smallest Marks and Spencer store, which opened in 1895, still trades. Although the market is generally in its original condition and is Grade I listed, the Grainger Arcade lost its timber roof in a fire. The present steel girdered roof, reminiscent of a railway station, dates from 1901. An extraordinary piece of architecture, the Grainger Market has survived fires and continues to contribute to the commercial life of the city. ‘The Butcher Market’. This panel was installed to commemorate the 175th anniversary of the Grainger Market (October 1835-2010)

Clayton Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Newgate Street. Newgate Street derives its name from the ‘New Gate’. Newgate Street, first referred to as ‘Vicus Fori’ before 1238, was the main entrance to the markets of Newcastle. The ‘New Gate’ was built with the town walls in the mid 13th century. It stood at the junction of Newgate Street and Gallowgate and allowed access to the north west of the walled town. From 1399 until 1822 the ‘New Gate’ housed the town gaol (prison). It was demolished in 1823. A new prison, designed by John Dobson, was built in Carliol Square. Close to the market cross (White Cross), on the opposite side of this street, around the site of the Art Deco Co-operative building and ‘The Gate’ stood a, “great gate, that formed the principal entrance into the Black Friars”. The first reference to the Dominican friary dates from 1239. The initial site for the friary was donated by three anonymous sisters with other parts acquired bit by bit. Part of Blackfriars still exists and is accessible via Low Friar Street turning right into Monk Street. The informal Greenmarket which sold fruit and vegetables started on Newgate Street, just outside probably Newcastle’s oldest church, St. Andrew’s. At the turn of the 20th century it moved to Green Court on the east side of Newgate Street making it the city’s second indoor market. It was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the Eldon Square Shopping Centre.

Newgate Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

The White Cross. A medieval market cross, first mentioned around 1410, once stood here. Sited on Newgate Street near to the junction with Low Friar Street (opposite), for almost 400 years it marked the main entrance into a host of markets including the Bigg Market, Poultry Market, Groat Market, Wool Market, Iron Market and the Flesh Market. Many of these market names are still in use today as street names within the city centre. The ‘White Cross’ has taken on at least five different appearances. Originally a simple market cross, it also appeared as a pillar & dial, a cistern for the ‘New Water’ and a stone pillar. In 1783 it was demolished and rebuilt to the design shown here by David Stephenson, a local Architect who also designed the original Theatre Royal in Mosley Street. It had a pretty little spire, with a good clock, and was ornamented on the four sides with the arms of the Mayor, Magistrates, and Sheriff. In 1808 it was dismantled and rebuilt at the north end of the Flesh Market on the current site of Grey Street. On 22nd August 1701 a famous incident between Ferdinando Foster MP for Northumberland and John Fenwick of Rock, coal owner, took place at the White Cross. Whilst attending a ‘Grand Jury’ at the Black Horse Inn, near the crossroads of Clayton Street and Newgate Street the two men argued about family matters. Fenwick challenged Forster and as they went out stabbed Forster from behind. Fenwick escaped but was caught within a week, tried and executed by hanging from the white thorn tree that grew close to the White Cross on 25th September 1701.

Newgate Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Mrs Mary Howard Adjusted her hat in the reflection in this window 3rd June 1921

Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Anne Huxtable Waited for a Friend Who did not arrive 8th December 1952

Bigg Market, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nathan Walker walked past here 47 times during 1968 on the 21st May 1968 he looked up

Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
This pillar stood at the gateway of the Royal Grammar School Newcastle-upon-Tyne which from 1607 until 1844 occupied the chapel of the Hospital of St Mary the Virgin in the West Gate founded near this site in the 12th century

39 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Turbinia The World's First Steam-Turbine Powered Ship. Turbinia epitomises the achievements of Sir Charles Parsons (1854-1931), world-renowned engineer and inventor. Turbinia is powered by his greatest invention, the first practical steam turbine, which transformed high speed ship propulsion and established the foundation for present-day electrical power generation.

Discovery Museum, Blandford Square, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
All Saints Church This rare elliptical building of 1786-89 (spire 1796) replaced decaying mediaeval Church of All Hallows. Architect, David Stephenson of Newcastle (1757-1819). Closed as a Church 1961 and has since undergone major restoration.

All Hallows Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Cardinal Basil Hume OSB, OM. Archbishop of Westminster (1976-1999) - an inspirational Church leader.

Bridge Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Robson Green. Actor, television presenter & champion of North East based film production. Rose to fame in ‘Soldier Soldier’.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Grundy. Writer and broadcaster. Passionate enthusiast for the history and architecture of the North East.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Prof Sir John Burn. Professor of Clinical Genetics, Newcastle University. Knighted in 2010 for his many significant medical advances.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Sir Bobby Robson, CBE. Footballer, England & Newcastle Utd manager. Inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame, 2003.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Alderman Fenwick’s House. Alderman Fenwick’s house dates from the latter part of the 17th century and has been, in turn, a private residence, a coaching inn and a political club. The restoration of the building and its conversion for use as offices was carried out by the Tyne & Wear Building Preservation Trust and was completed in 1997. The Trust was assisted in the restoration by financial assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the European Regional Development Fund, English Heritage, Newcastle upon Tyne City Council and numerous local charities and individuals. Access to the public areas of the building is available by pressing entry phone number 6. Arrangements for parties to tour the building may be made by telephoning the Trust on 0191 260 2133.

98-100 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Tyne Bridge opened by His Majesty King George V. 10th October 1928. Alderman Stephen Easten, O.B.E., J.P. Lord Mayor of Newcastle upon Tyne. Alderman William Edwin Wardill, J.P. Mayor of Gateshead.

Tyne Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Tyne Bridge erected by the corporations of Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead and the Ministry of Transport. R. Burns Dick, F.R.I.B.A. Architect. Mott, Hay & Anderson, M.M. Inst. C.E. Coode, Fitzmaurice, Wilson & Mitchell, M.M. Inst. C.E. Engineers. Dorman, Long & Co. Ltd. Contractors.

Tyne Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Robert Stephenson's Works The Stephenson Works on South Street in Newcastle housed the world's first purpose-built locomotive works. These building were the birth of the steam locomotive, which revolutionised the railway industry worldwide.

The Stephenson Works, 20 South Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Robert Stephenson 1803-1859. Robert Stephenson & Company established in world’s first purpose built locomotive factory, 1823. Designed & constructed ‘Locomotion No.1’ in 1828, ‘Rocket’ in 1829 and ‘Planet’ in 1830.

South Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Alan Shearer OBE. Newcastle Utd & England Captain. Scored 260 Premier League goals.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Alison Kay. Founder of The People’s Kitchen, providing friendship and food to homeless people.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Doreen ‘Granny’ Jardine. Community activist making a difference in Blakelaw for over 60 years.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Jackie Milburn (Wor Jackie). Three times FA Cup Winner with Newcastle United, scored 200 goals for the club.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Ant & Dec. Entertainers. Shot to fame as PJ & Duncan in Newcastle based drama, ‘Byker Grove’.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Ruth Dodds. Author and playwright. A founder of Gateshead’s Progressive Players (1920) and Little Theatre (1943), encouraging local performing arts.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Dame Margaret Barbour DBE. Business woman who reinvented outdoor clothing brand Barbour. Women’s Fund Co-founder.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Tim Healy. Actor from Benwell, best known for ‘Auf Wiedersehen Pet’ and ‘Benidorm’. Founder member of Live Theatre and Sammy Johnson Memorial Fund.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen. Photographer & co-founder of the Amber Collective. Captured the people of Byker to international acclaim.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Mo Mowlam. Lectured in politics at Newcastle University. Was MP for Redcar and Secretary of State for Northern Ireland at the time of the Good Friday Agreement.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Dick Clement & Ian La Frenais. Screen writers, film directors and producers. Co-creators of ‘The Likely Lads’.

Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

The Town Wall, Durham Tower. Built in the late 13th century, the corbels may have supported a timber balcony. Internal ribbed barrel vault. Used as a school coal store in the 19th century.

West Walls, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
This section of the thirteenth century town wall was repaired by the Civic Service Committee of the City Council and the Ministry of Public Building and Works in 1968.

Off Forth Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Town Wall. Site of 14th Century Close Gate. Damaged during 1644 siege when Town Wall was breached, it was repaired in 1648. Used as a prison after 1771 it was demolished in 1797.

Close, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Glasshouse Bridge 1878. A bridge has spanned the Ouseburn at this point since the 1640s when glass works became established along the St. Lawrence shore. This present bridge is similar in design to the larger Byker Bridge.

Maling Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Glasshouse Bridge 1878. A bridge has spanned the Ouseburn at this point since the 1640s when glass works became established along the St. Lawrence shore. This present bridge [is similar] in design to the [larger Byker] Bridge.

Maling Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

John Dobson 1787-1865 architect built this house about 1823 and lived here until his death in January 1865

New Bridge Street West, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
This plaque was erected to commemorate the visit of the Cutty Sark Tall Ships Races fleet to Newcastle Quayside 14-17 July 1993. Councillor Mrs J. Lamb The Lord Mayor Vice Admiral Sir George Vallings Chairman, S.T.A. Sailing Committee

Newcastle Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Lying-In Hospital Dobson designed this charitable institution for poor married pregnant women in 1835

New Bridge Street West, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
Chas Chandler 1938-1996 Founder member of the 'Animals' Manager of Jimi Hendrix & Slade Co-founder of Newcastle Arena Lived in this house 1938-1964

35 Second Avenue, Heaton, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
William Straker 1855-1941 Worked here as Northumberland Miners' Union Leader. In work, housing, health and education, he was a voice for social reform and welfare for all. A true Northumbrian.

Burt Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Town Wall Site of late 13th Century Gunner Tower Converted in 1821 for use by Company of Slaters and Tylers. Demolished 1885 Foundations excavated 1964

Pink Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Subjects