United Kingdom / Norwich

all or unphotographed
London Street pedestrianisation On 17 July 1967, London Street became the first shopping street in the UK to be pedestrianised. It started a revolution that saw people given priority over traffic in city centres.

34-36 London St, Norwich NR2 1LD, Norwich, United Kingdom

Henry Cross-grove 1683-1744 The printer lived and worked near here. In 1706 he printed his first number of the Norwich Gazette.

Three Tuns public house, Earlham Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Early in the 19th Century, a Sedan Chair stood for hire at this spot, which was then Devil's Alley, with steps leading from Castle Meadow to London Street

6 Opie Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Amelia Opie Authoress, Dramatist, Poetess and brilliant Consversationalist. Wife of John Opie the famous Portrait painter and daughter of James Alderson the eminent surgeon of St George's Colegate Street Lived in this or an adjacent house Born Nov 19th 1769 Died Dec 2nd 1853 Interred in the Old World Friends Burial Ground of the Gilldencroft

Castle Meadow / Opie Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Lion & Castle Yard Named after the Lion and Castle public house, open from 1822 to 1925. The Lion and Castle is the Norwich coat of arms

Lion & Castle Yard, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Queen St. Known as Red Well Street in the 18th century, it's name changed by the early 19th century. The old well was on the corner of Queens Street and Redwell Street, by the churchyard wall

Queen Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
White Lion Street Named after the White Lion public house. Called Sadelere Rowe in the 13th century as saddles were made and sold here. Later, Lorimers Rowe after the lorimers who made harness straps

White Lion Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Lion and Castle Yard Timberhill This small building is formed from two of the very few surviving cottages built in the 17th century and once common in the city. One has been restored with its original roof of reed thatch. They may have been lived in by weavers. From the 14th to the 19th centuries Norwich was famous for it's textiles - "Norwich stuff" - of woollen cloth, worsted and silk made on looms in the weavers' own houses.

Lion and Castle Yard, Timberhill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Richard Hearne OBE 1908-1979 Actor, dancer, acrobat and children's clown, 'Mr Pastry' made his debut at Norwich Theatre Royal aged six weeks.

Theatre Royal, Theatre Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Three Tuns Court 56-64 King Street A street range dating from the 17th century, restored and converted to shops and residential use. No 60 was the Three Tuns Public House in the 19th century and below it is a 15th century vaulted undercroft, one of an important group within the city walls. The imposing facade of eight dormer gables and a central Dutch gable was rebuilt in 19th century brick but probably represents the original design.

Three Tuns Court, 56-64 King Street , Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Nest Norwich City Football Club played their home matches on this site 1908-1935

Rosary Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
William Norwyche 1406-1470 Philanthropist, Freeman of the City and Mayor of Norwich in 1461, buried with his wife Alice in this church, where they founded the Lady Chapel of St Mary and All Saints.

Side of St Georges Church in Muspole Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Phoenix Yard This development, completed in 2006, stands partly on the site of and perpetuates the name of the 19th century Phoenix Yard, a range of seven tenements which were occupied up to the Second World War and demolished shortly thereafter. Several of the traditional Norwich industries are reflected in the occupations of their tenants. This is an ancient part of the city, lying near the mediaeval city wall and the church of St Paul, ruined during the Second World War and pulled down c.1950. Archaeological finds on this site included coins and tokens of English and German origin dating from 1302 to 1612 and an American silver dime of 1887. The most significant find was of a rare nummular brooch replicating a Roman coin of Constantius II and dating from the 8th or 9th century. The 1881 census records the population of the original Phoenix Yard as 39 occupants, the householders being: - Frederik Self whipthong maker Robert Wilfred hawker Samuel Warminger boot & shoe manufacturer James Winter silkweaver John Spalding cabinet maker Benjamin Parsons brick labourer William King carpenter

Leopard Court, Norwich, United Kingdom

98-108 Oak Street This row of 17th century houses with timber framed upper floors and flint rubble rear walls was heightened in the 18th century. No 98-100 were the residence of a wool merchant and the houses were occupied by families of weavers. Originally there would have been back gardens but in the 19th century these were built on with tenements and the houses fell into disrepair. Now restored to residential use they provide the model for the Trust's logo.

98-108 Oak Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

John Greene Crosse M.D., F.R.C.S., F.R.S The celebrated surgeon of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital lived here. He published works on physiognomy, early uses of vaccination in Norfolk and the treatment of bladder stones.

Norwich, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Church of Saint Swithin This church, built to the Glory of God, is now in the care of the Norwich Historic Churches Trust. In using this building, remember its origin with thanksgiving.

St Benedicts Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Strangers In 1565 the City authorities invited Protestant refugees from the Spanish Netherlands to settle in Norwich to boost the City's textile industry. 30 households of master weavers came over from Flanders, of which 24 were Flemish and 6 were French-speaking Walloons. Soon followed by many more, they became known as the Strangers, and at their peak accounted for over a third of the City's population.

Pottergate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Site of pre-conquest St Olave's Chapel demolished early 14th century

Albion Mill, King St. (opposite Southgate Lane), Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
King Edward IV and his brother Richard Duke of Gloucester (later King Richard III) visited Norwich 18-21 June 1469. Queen Elizabeth Woodville was entertained here at the Blackfriars 18 July 1469

Blackfriars Hall, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Dame Julian of Norwich Mystic, became an anchoress living in a cell attached to the south wall of this church soon after 1373, and here she wrote "Revelations of Divine Love". born 1343

St Julian's Church, Rouen Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Priors of Ixworth This building incorporates the remains of the town house of the Priors of Ixworth. Later it became the residence of John Aldrich, M.P., Mayor of Norwich 1558 and 1570.

St Clement's House, St Clement's Alley, 21-16 Colegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Black Friars The Church of St John the Baptist, which stood near here became the first conventual church of the Norwich Black Friars in 1226. They moved in 1307 to a church on the site of St Andrews Hall.

Front wall of Octagon Chapel, Colegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
22-24 Elm Hill A home of the Paston family in the 15th century. The present house was built by Augustine Steward after the extensive fire of 1507

22-24 Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Baptist Particular Chapel Chapel for Particular Baptists Originally a warehouse it was converted into a chapel in 1833 and remained as such until 1975.

Timberhill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Site of Cooke's Hospital 1692-1892 founded by Thomas Cooke 1628-1703 Mayor of Norwich in 1689.

46 Rose Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of the church St Peter at Southgate, founded before 1217 demolished c.1345

Southgate Lane, off King Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Tombland The site of the Anglo-Scandinavian market-place in the 11th century. The name tom is Scandinavian in origin meaning 'empty' or 'open'.

Tombland, Norwich, United Kingdom

Harriet Martineau 1802-1876 Authoress and Pioneer in opening many new spheres of work for women Born at Gurney House in the adjacent Court

Gurney House, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Upper St. Giles Street Named after the church. Previously known as Nether, or Inferior, Newport - 'port' is taken to mean a street lined with tradesmen's stalls, perhaps an overflow from the Marketplace

Upper St. Giles Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
St. Bartholomew's Church The remains of the 14th century church, the building was desecrated in 1549.

Ber Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

On The 9th May 2004 This Place Smelled Like Mould And Old Things, Like What You Might Find In An Attic. What Does It Smell Like Now? smell norwich @ Yahoo.co.uk

?, Norwich, United Kingdom

Formerly The Jolly Butchers public house Home of Antoinette Hannent, known as 'Black Anna' jazz and blues singer, who lived here from 1935 to 1976.

Ber Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of Cavalry Barracks later Nelson Barracks 1792 - 1963

Corner of Barrack Street and Gurney Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The old Lobster Inn, on the north side of the road, registered in 1761 and closed in 1863, and the New Lobster, to the south, recorded from 1811. In the 1830s Lobster Lane included Bedford Street.

Lobster Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Thomas Ivory (1709-1779) distinguished local architect built St Helen's House in 1752 and lived here from 1756 until he died. Other buildings attributed to him include the Octagon Chapel and the Assembly House.

St Helen's House, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Beatles performed at the Grosvenor Rooms on May 17th 1963, before queuing with fans for chips at Valori's on Rose Lane

Grosvenor House, 112-114 Prince of Wales Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Richard Spynke Directed the fortification of the City gates and towers between 1337 and 1344. This work was carried out at his own expense.

On old city wall, Queens Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Thomas Anguish 1538-1617 Mayor of Norwich in 1611, his will made provision for a children's hospital, founded in 1618, lived here.

Maids Head Hotel, Wensum Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Henry Bacon Worsted merchant, built this house. He became Sheriff of Norwich in 1548 Mayor in 1557 and 1566. The house had associations with Kett's Rebellion in 1549.

Bacon's House, 31 Colegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Helgate Court in medieval Norwich Westwick Street had its own gate through the city wall - HELGATE

Westwick Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Bassingham Gateway Formerly the entrance to the house in London Street of John Bassingham, goldsmith during the reign of Henry VIII. It was erected here in 1857

St Peters Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Louis Marchesi 1898-1968 Founder of the Round Table Movement and owner of Langford's Restaurant which stood on this site where Table No.1 meetings took place.

50 London Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
2-4 St Andrews Hill A 17th century building in what was once a medieval thoroughfare, converted to two residential units with a shop below. The street facade shows shows at least four different phases of brickwork and flint rubble, evidence of past alterations. There is a very fine oak weaver's window to the second floor.

2-4 St Andrews Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Jonathan Davey 1760-1814 of Eaton Hall an Alderman of the City built this pedestrian way in 1812

14 Davey Place, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Reverend William D'Oyley 1745-1814 in his old age rode 12,000 miles on horseback collecting subscriptions for the widening of this street

Orford Place, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Anglia Television The television studios partly occupy the site of an Anglo-Scandinavian church built about 1000 and its graveyard. The church was an early version of the famous stave churches of Norway.

Agricultural Hall Plain, Norwich, United Kingdom

Site of a 13th century church known as St Cuthbert's which was demolished in 1530

Norwich, Norwich, United Kingdom

Here stood St Crowche's Church built before 1272 desecrated and demolished 1551

36 Exchange Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
In 1549 AD Robert Kett yeoman farmer of Wymondham was executed by hanging in this castle after the defeat of the Norfolk Rebellion of which he was the leader In 1949 AD - four hundred years later - this memorial was placed here by the citizens of Norwich in reparation and honour to a notable and courageous leader in the long struggle of the common people of England to escape from a servile life into the freedom of just conditions

Norwich Castle, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Gladstone House Home of John Harvey 1755-1842 He became Sheriff in 1784, Mayor in 1792 and High Sheriff of Norfolk in 1825. He revived horse racing on Mousehold and introduced shawl weaving to Norwich in 1791

Gladstone House, St Giles Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects