United Kingdom / Norwich

all or unphotographed
Opened in 1977 the Norwich Arts Centre was named 'Britain’s Best Small Venue' by the NME. [full inscription unknown]

Norwich Arts Centre, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
On this site stood an Austin Friary built between 1360 and 1368 and dissolved in 1538. It was later demolished and extensive remains were uncovered in 1970 during the construction of this building A plan of the friary is preserved in the Norwich Castle Museum

King Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Late 13th century church of St Michael Early 14th century to mid 16th century monastery of the Austin Friars incorporating the above church This stone arch was found in masonry thought to be an old tomb, during excavations on this site in 1948 and re-erected in 1970

King Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Circa 1650 23 White Lion Street The oldest surviving shop in Norwich Originally built as a saddlery in this French speaking quarter

23 White Lion Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Synagogue Street Derived its name from a Synagogue built on this site in 1848, and was destroyed by enemy action 1942. It was the only street so named in this country.

Mountergate, on wall of former Norwich Brewery, Norwich, United Kingdom

St John the Evangelist Church Near this site stood the church of St John the Evangelist, demolished c. 1300.

St John's House, 2-4 Rose Lane/King Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Churchman House Built by Alderman Thomas Churchman and later the home of Sir Thomas Churchman. Mayor in 1761. Sir William Foster, Sheriff in 1835 and Mayor in 1844. Its most distinguished resident was Sir Peter Eade, Mayor in 1883 and 1893 and 1895, physician, historian of St Giles Church and Parish and Freeman of the City.

Churchman House, 68 Bethel Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Paper Mill Yard lies just outside the medieval city limits. These were defined by the City Walls which formed a 2 1/2 mile (4km) defensive barrier around the city. They included 12 gates, one of which, Conesford Gate, stood here until 1794, guarding entry into Norwich via King Street. All of the medieval gates were removed around this time because they were considered too expensive to maintain.

?, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Lion and Castle Yard Timberhill This small building is formed from two of the very few surviving cottages built in the 17th century and once common in the city. One has been restored with its original roof of reed thatch. They may have been lived in by weavers. From the 14th to the 19th centuries Norwich was famous for it's textiles - "Norwich stuff" - of woollen cloth, worsted and silk made on looms in the weavers' own houses.

Lion and Castle Yard, Timberhill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Millennium Building Archaeological excavation here discovered a rare Viking gold ingot as well as part of a crucible with gold residues implying that gold-working was taking place.

Millennium Building, Norwich, United Kingdom

St Clement Colegate St Clement is the patron saint of sailors and was a popular dedication for churches in Scandinavia. Churches dedicated to St Clement in Anglo-Scandinavian towns tend to be on main streets, often next to river crossings.

Colegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

L'eglise Wallonne de Norwich 1637-1832

Queens Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

The entrance to the 13th century church of St Mary the Less, which became a draper's hall in 1564, later used for worship by the Huguenot (French Protestant) congregation, 1637-1832.

Queens Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Nest Norwich City Football Club played their home matches on this site 1908-1935

Rosary Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Colman School Opened 16 January 1906 The school clock was restored by the Parent Teacher Association to mark the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II 1952 EIIR 1977

Colman Infant School, Colman Road, Norwich, United Kingdom