United Kingdom / Norwich

all or unphotographed
Site of a 13th century church known as St Cuthbert's which was demolished in 1530

Norwich, Norwich, United Kingdom

Here stood St Crowche's Church built before 1272 desecrated and demolished 1551

36 Exchange Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
In 1549 AD Robert Kett yeoman farmer of Wymondham was executed by hanging in this castle after the defeat of the Norfolk Rebellion of which he was the leader In 1949 AD - four hundred years later - this memorial was placed here by the citizens of Norwich in reparation and honour to a notable and courageous leader in the long struggle of the common people of England to escape from a servile life into the freedom of just conditions

Norwich Castle, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Gladstone House Home of John Harvey 1755-1842 He became Sheriff in 1784, Mayor in 1792 and High Sheriff of Norfolk in 1825. He revived horse racing on Mousehold and introduced shawl weaving to Norwich in 1791

Gladstone House, St Giles Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Church of Saint James This Church, built to the Glory of God, is now in the care of the Norwich Historic Churches Trust. In using this building, remember its origin with thanksgiving.

Barrack Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Here stood the church of St Matthew the Apostle 1286

St Martin at Palace Plain, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Walter De Suffield Died 1257 Bishop of Norwich from 1245-1257 founded this hospital formerly known as St Giles in 1249

Bishop Gate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
William Wilkins 1778-1839 Professor of Architecture at the Royal Academy Built this Shirehall in 1822

Market Avenue, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Obelisk Fountain Between 1700 and 1850 machinery used to raise and store water for the higher parts of the City stood on this site. To commemorate this in 1860 a drinking fountain was erected by John Henry Gurney

Tombland, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of the Saxon church of St Michael at Tombland demolished c.1100

Norwich, Norwich, United Kingdom

Colegate The street-name may derive from a Scandinavian personal name Coli with the Old Norse word gata meaning street.

Colegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Church of Saint Clement This Church, built to the Glory of God, is now in the care of the Norwich Historic Churches Trust. In using this building, remember its origin with thanksgiving.

Norwich, Norwich, United Kingdom

Father Ignatius Founded an independent Benedictine monastery here in 1864. After two difficult years it was dispersed 1837-1908

Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Fishergate Means 'Street of the fisherman'. Excavations on the river side of the street have uncovered 11th century fish hooks and net weights.

3 Fishergate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Adam and Eve. This reputedly haunted ale house was founded in 1249, but it is believed it sits on the site of an even older Saxon rest stop dating back 1,500 years.

17 Bishopgate, Norwich, United Kingdom

John Kirkpatrick 1686-1728 Historian and Antiquarian Lived in this house

St Andrews Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Wild Man pub is thought to commemorate Peter the Wild Boy (c.1711-1785), a feral child who was, for a time, kept by King George I as a curiosity. In 1751 he mysteriously turned up in Norwich and was briefly imprisoned in the Bridewell as a vagrant before being returned to his guardians in Berkhampstead in Hertfordshire.

Bedford Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Plains of Norwich The Dutch and Flemish who came to Norwich in the 16th century left their mark on the Norwich landscape and local language. From the Dutch 'plein', the Norwich 'plains' define the squares and open spaces of land, in the midst of the narrow maze of streets. Maddermarket Plain, St Giles' Plain, St Benedict's Plain, St Margaret's Plain and St Andrew's Hall Plain can be found in the Norwich Lanes area.

Expresso, St George's Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

George Walpole Earl of Orford 1730-1791 Although at the time considered a rake and an eccentric, he gave generously to public subscriptions for planning improvements made in his time. Formerly known as Hog Hill this street was re-named Orford Hill in his honour.

Orford Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Adrian Parmenter 1589-1663 The first Norwich Office of the Excise was built here in 1643, by Adrian Parmenter. He was a leading Parliamentarian and his home near here was attacked by Royalists in 1648. He was elected Mayor in 1641, but died in 1663 probably of rabies contracted from the bite of a mad fox.

Timberhill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir Arthur Michael Samuel 1872-1942 The first Jewish Lord Mayor of Norwich was born in Timberhill. He was a generous benefactor to the city, especially in the wake of the disastrous floods in 1912. Later Conservative MP for Farnham, Secretary for Overseas Trade (1924-1927) and Financial Secretary to the Treasury (1927-1929), he was created 1st Baron Mancroft in 1932, choosing the title in recognition of his strong links to the City.

Red Lion Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Reverend Johannes Elison 1581-1639 Johannes (or John) Elison was senior minister of the Dutch congregation in Norwich, which held its services in Dutch in Blackfriars' Hall. For more than 300 years the hall was known as the Dutch Church. Elison and his wife Mary had their portraits painted by Rembrandt in 1634 - they are the only English residents to have been painted by Rembrandt.

Princes Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
St Christopher's Church A pre-Conquest church dedicated to St Christopher stood on this site. This dedication is very rare, with only 9 pre-Reformation examples in England. The church burnt down during the reign of Henry III (1216-1272) and the parish was then divided between St Andrew's and St Michael at Plea.

Princes Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
United Reformed Church Originally a Congregational Church the current building, along with the adjoining Church rooms on Redwell St, was designed by well-known Norwich architect Edward Boardman. He was also responsible, amongst other projects, for converting Norwich Castle into a Museum.

Princes Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Strangers Hall Dating from about 1320, with additions in the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. It has been the home of William Barley, Sheriff in 1451, Nicholas Sotherton, Sheriff in 1530, Mayor in 1539, Sir Joseph Paine, Sheriff in 1654, Mayor in 1660. Presented to the City by Leonard G. Bolingbroke in 1922.

Strangers Hall, Charing Cross, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Pellegrino Mazzotti c.1785-c.1870 A sculptor from Lucca, Italy, Pellegrino Mazzotti established a studio in Charing Cross, adjoining Strangers' Hall, in 1819. In the years 1821-29 he exhibited with the Norwich Society of Artists. Subjects for his work included Shakespeare, Norwich School painter John Crome, Lord Nelson and founder of the Methodist Church John Wesley.

Charing Cross, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Anthony de Solempne The first printer in Norwich, Anthony de Solempne was a refugee from Brabant in the Southern Netherlands. He arrived in 1567 and established his business at the sign of the White Dove, later the Edinburgh Arms, Dove Street. Although his productions were mostly in Dutch, Solempne also printed in English and French. He also traded in wine and is thought to have been one of the wealthiest members of the Stranger community in Norwich

Dove Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir John Mills (1908-2005) Oscar winner and star of over 100 feature films Sir John Mills went to school here when it was the Norwich High School for Boys. Apparently he hated it and claimed, as one of his achievements, that he broke the school bully's nose

Upper St Giles Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Worsted Seld 1397-1550 On this site stood a market for Englishmen to sell the cloth of Worsted. In 1550 it was moved to the Guildhall.

Pottergate, Norwich, United Kingdom

George Borrow 1803-1881 Author of "The Bible in Spain" "Lavengro" "Romany Rye" "Wild Wales" etc

Willow Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Original site of the infirmary for sick children established in 1853 by the Swedish soprano Jenny Lind 1820-1887 In 1900 the infirmary was transferred to Unthank Road

Pottergate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton BT. MP. 1786-1845 Buxton led the Parliamentary campaign responsible for the 1833 Act freeing the 700,000 slaves then held in the West Indies and elsewhere in the British Empire. Married into the Quaker Banking family of the Gurneys, he worked with Elizabeth Fry to improve conditions in prisons and reduce the number of crimes deemed worthy of the death penalty. He spoke at the Friends Meeting House in Norwich and used St Andrews Hall to organize meetings in favour of his various causes.

Upper Goat Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Elizabeth Fry 1780-1845 Born into the Quaker Banking family of the Gurneys, who founded what was to become the Barclays Bank empire, Elizabeth Fry worshipped at the Friends Meeting House and went on to become one of the most respected women's prison reformers in the world - she is, today, commemorated on the reverse of the English five pound note

Upper Goat Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Orford Cellar In the 1960s the Orford Cellar hosted performances from rock legends Jimi Hendrix, Ginger Baker, Rod Stewart, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, Elton John and Geno Washington, courtesy of local impresario Howard Platt.The place to try out a new line-up before touring, the Orford also featured long lived and popular local acts including Lucas and The Emperors and The Continentals

Red Lion Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Holkham House. The design has been attributed to Matthew Brettingham 1699-1769. The house was owned by his brother Robert. In the early nineteenth century it was the home of another Norwich Architect, John Thomas Patience

Cow Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Wright's Court The only remaining example of a residential court leading off Elm Hill, and one of only a handful to survive in Norwich. These courts or yards were a common form of habitation for working people in the City from Medieval times until the 1920s, but many were demolished during slum clearance. Several families lived in each house, sharing one pump and a privy in the yard.

Wright's Court, off Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Britons Arms This is the only house in Elm Hill to escape the fire of 1507 and the cellars date from the 13th century. In the early 15th century it was a "Beguinage", a community of lay single women who devoted themselves to a life of prayer and charitable work.

Britons Arms, 9 Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

George Rossi Italian gold and silversmith George Rossi, who had fought under Marshal Soult, Napoleon's Chief of Staff at Waterloo, came to Norwich and established a business on this site. Rossi's survived for 4 generations, until its eventual closure in March 1936, when Mr Theodore Rossi, who had been associated with the business for 54 years, decided to retire.

9 Guildhall Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Jem Mace 1831-1910 Referred to as the Father of Modern Boxing, Jem Mace became World Heavyweight Champion in 1870 and subsequently became landlord of the White Swan from which Swan Lane takes its name.

Swan Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Pettus House This building is the surviving part of a larger house which extended up to the churchyard, occupied in the 16th century by the Pettus Family. The family, members of which are buried in the church of St Simon & St Jude, were Mayors and Sheriffs of Norwich and prosperous cloth merchants. In the 17th century, several members of the family were early settlers in Virginia, USA.

41-43 Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sarah Glover 1786-1867 Originator of the Tonic sol-fa notation lived in this house

Pottergate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
On 8th March, 1600 William Kemp Elizabethan actor and clown jumped over the wall opposite to complete his Nine Daies Wonder a morris dance from London to Norwich

Maddermarket Theatre, St Johns Alley, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Norfolk and Norwich Subscription Library From 1837-1976, this building housed a private Subscription Library, founded in 1784 and originally located in St Andrew's Hall. The Hall was also the site for Norwich City Library. Founded in 1608, it was the first library to be established by a corporation in a corporately owned building outside London. Norwich was also the first city in Britain to adopt the Public Libraries Act of 1850.

Guildhall Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
33 Timberhill This two-storey brick block dates to around 1700, and has its original attics and cellar. Although the rear dormer is of 19th century date, it is otherwise a very well preserved example of what Timberhill would have looked like in the 18th century.

33 Timberhill, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Friars de Sacco Settled here c1250 in a house given to them by William de Gissing

Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

James Martineau Unitarian philosopher and teacher was born in this house and spent his boyhood here 1805-1900

24 Magdalen Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
17th June 1902 On this date the formation meeting of Norwich City Football Club was held on this site - then known as the Criterion Cafe

Red Lion Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir Thomas Browne Physician and Author of Religio Medici 1605-1682 Lived in a house that once stood near this plaque At the junction of the Haymarket and Orford Place

1 Orford Place, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Maddermarket Theatre Home of the Norwich Players founded in 1911 by Nugent Monck 1878-1958

Maddermarket Theatre, St John Madder Market, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Dr Edward Rigby 1747-1821 Mayor of Norwich 1805 Lived in this house. He was associated with the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital for fifty years from its foundation in 1771 and was responsible for introducing vaccination into the city

St Giles Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects