United Kingdom / Norwich

all or unphotographed
Thomas Bilney, 1495-1531 First Protestant Martyr. Imprisoned in vault below prior to execution by burning at Lollards Pit on 19 August 1531

Guildhall, Gaol Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Norwich School Medieval School recorded 1240 Established as a royal foundation in 1547 by King Edward VI Moved to this building in 1553 from temporary accommodation at the dissolved Convent of the Black Friars, St Andrews

The Close, Norwich Cathedral, Norwich, United Kingdom

Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy performed their legendary comedy double act here in February 1954. Norwich Hippodrome, which stood on this site until its demolition in 1966, also hosted the debut in 1916 of a 12 year old acrobat Archie Leach, later known as Cary Grant.

Entrance to St Giles Street car park, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Gildengate Now called St George's Street, this street follows the line of a defensive ditch and bank constructed in the Viking period about AD900.

St George's Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Steam Packet House Site of the Steam Packet Public House. In the 19th Century, King Street had 2 breweries & 26 pubs, including 3 Steam Packets, a Ship, an Old Barge and a Keel & Wherry.

King Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

The entrance to the 13th century church of St Mary the Less, which became a draper's hall in 1564, later used for worship by the Huguenot (French Protestant) congregation, 1637-1832.

Queens Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Bishop Bridge 1340 The only surviving medieval bridge in Norwich. Robert Kett and the Earl of Warwick's troops fought a battle on the approach to the bridge in 1549.

Low wall on side of bridge facing Riverside Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
L'eglise Wallonne de Norwich 1637-1832

Queens Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

St Clement Colegate St Clement is the patron saint of sailors and was a popular dedication for churches in Scandinavia. Churches dedicated to St Clement in Anglo-Scandinavian towns tend to be on main streets, often next to river crossings.

Colegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Snaylgate The street-name was changed to Calvert Street two hundred years ago. It runs along the inside of the line of an Anglo-Scandinavian defensive bank and ditch.

Calvert Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Colman School Opened 16 January 1906 The school clock was restored by the Parent Teacher Association to mark the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II 1952 EIIR 1977

Colman Infant School, Colman Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Remains of St BENEDICTS CHURCH destroyed by enemy air raids 1942

St Benedicts Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Site of the 12th century church of St Mary In The Marsh Demolished in 1775

Cathedral Close, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
St Mary's Church The round western tower is one of a hundred surviving in Norfolk. Such towers are a legacy of links between eastern England and northern Europe where a number of similar towers exist in Germany and southern Sweden.

St Marys Plain, Norwich, United Kingdom

Site of St Olaf's Church St Olaf's (or Olave's) was demolished in 1546. Olaf was king of Norway and was martyred in 1030. He rapidly became popular in those parts of England settled by Scandinavians.

St Crispins Road/Botolph Street corner of Surrey Chapel free church, Norwich, United Kingdom

John Greene Crosse, MD, FRCS, FRS 1791-1850 Celebrated Surgeon of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital lived here.

9-10 Orford Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Lady Eleanor Talbot (Lady Butler) c. 1436-1468 benefactress and conversa of the Whitefriars was buried here in the Carmelite Priory Church.

Whitefriars, Norwich, United Kingdom

Millennium Building Archaeological excavation here discovered a rare Viking gold ingot as well as part of a crucible with gold residues implying that gold-working was taking place.

Millennium Building, Norwich, United Kingdom

31-37 Church Lane, Eaton A late 17th century house with a typical Norfolk plan, originally one building but divided into two in the lat 18th century. The house next to the parish church looked over the water meadows to the river Yare. The outbuildings were a later date. probably 19th century.

31-33 Church Lane, Eaton, Norwich, United Kingdom

St Edmund The church is dedicated to the royal martyr, King Edmund of the East Angles. He was killed by the Danes in 869

St Edmund Church, Norwich, United Kingdom

80-82 St Georges Street An early 16th century building with a flint rubble ground floor and timber-framed first floor. Situated at the rear of the building was the rare feature of a stair turret but this had to be removed as it was unsafe, The nearby Alms Lane site was redeveloped in 1985. It is thought that almshouses stood on this site from the 14th century.

80-82 St Georges Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

1-9 Muspole Street These 17th century houses in the heart of what was once the shoe industry in Norwich and behind the church of St. George's Colegate were first restored in the 1880s. Saved from demolition in 1969 for the extension of a car park at nearby Alms Lane they were converted to flats. Note the five large dormer windows, known as "luccams" or "lucarnes", a feature typical of the Norwich Street scene.

1-9 Muspole Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Paper Mill Yard lies just outside the medieval city limits. These were defined by the City Walls which formed a 2 1/2 mile (4km) defensive barrier around the city. They included 12 gates, one of which, Conesford Gate, stood here until 1794, guarding entry into Norwich via King Street. All of the medieval gates were removed around this time because they were considered too expensive to maintain.

?, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Stonemasons Court 53-57 St Augustines Street Within the courtyard is a 16th century brick and flint house with stone dressing to door and windows. I the late 18th century an extra floor was added and the front altered with sash windows and a grand pedimented front doorcase. I the 20th century a stonemason occupied the site. The Trust restored the 16th century roof line and returned the buildings to residential use.

Stonemasons Court, 53-57 St Augustines Street , Norwich, United Kingdom

Blackfriars Bridge Designed by Sir John Soane 1753-1837 built in 1784 by John de Carle.

Adjacent to bridge by the Norwich Art School, St Georges Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Churchman House Built by Alderman Thomas Churchman and later the home of Sir Thomas Churchman. Mayor in 1761. Sir William Foster, Sheriff in 1835 and Mayor in 1844. Its most distinguished resident was Sir Peter Eade, Mayor in 1883 and 1893 and 1895, physician, historian of St Giles Church and Parish and Freeman of the City.

Churchman House, 68 Bethel Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

John Crome, 1768-1821 Norwich School of Painters lived near here. The Rifleman Ale House.

On building formerly called Little Portion Mission House, Cross Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

William Crotch 1775-1847 Musical prodigy and composer was born in this parish. From the age of 3 he played the organ in many East Anglian Churches and concert halls. In 1797 became a professor of music at Oxford and the first principal of the Royal Academy of Music in 1822.

St Crispins Road/Botolph Street corner of Surrey Chapel free church, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Carrow Works site was bought by Colmans in 1850. From this site the firm grew to become Norwich's biggest manufacturer.

near Carrow Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Carrow Bridge was built in 1810. It linked Carrow Hill directly with the north-eastern end of Carrow Road. The bridge remained in use until the new bridge was opened to the west in 1923.

Carrow Bridge, Norwich, United Kingdom

In 1872, aged 32, Philippa Flowerday was employed by Colmans and became the first industrial nurse. She provided care for the employees of the Carrow Works factory by helping the doctor each morning and taking supplies to the sick at home. It is thought that she made over 45 visits a week. It was the first post of its kind to be established in Britain.

?, Norwich, United Kingdom

City Wall The band of flints nearby marks the course of the fourteenth century City Wall. It includes the site of a tower subsequently incorporated in the nineteenth century Drill Hall used by the Volunteer and Territorial Units of Norwich until 1950 and demolished in 1964.

On wall adjoining 1-6 Cleveland Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Elizabeth Bentley 1767-1839, Authoress of "Tales for Children in Verse" lived in this house.

45 St Stephen's Square, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Here lived Edmund Cotman. 1759-1844. Haberdasher and Freeman of Norwich 1785. Father of the artist John Sell Cotman 1782-1842. The river view from this house was the subject of the artists last painting in 1842.

18 Yarmouth Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of a Cucking Stool. From 1562-1597 strumpets and common scolds were sentenced to public punishment of ducking in the river.

east side of Fye Bridge, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Norwich Mint 1696-1698 £259,371 of silver coinage was struck in this hall by order of King William III.

Inside St Andrews Hall, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Luke Hansard 1752-1828 Baptized in this church, served an apprenticeship in Norwich as a printer went to London in 1774 and began printing the journals of the House of Commons.

St Mary Coslany Church doorway, St Mary's Plain, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Thomas Harvey 1710-1772 Born in this house, Mayor of Norwich 1748. He was one of ten members of the Harvey family to become a mayor of the City.

Rear of 18 Colegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Howard House The residence of Henry Howard who became the sixth Duke of Norfolk in 1677. 1628-1684.

97 King Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Jem Mace 1831-1910 World Champion Pugilist Landlord of the Swan Tavern which stood near here

8 Swan Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Henry Ninham 1793-1874 Artist, engraver and heraldic painter lived in this house.

10 Chapelfield North, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Duke of Norfolk's Palace One of the largest town houses in England stood near this site 1561-1711.

St Andrews car park (car park now demolished), Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Horse Fair The site of the Horse Fairs during the reign of King Edward I 1272-1307 and King Edward II 1307-1327. It was moved to the Castle ditches by order of King Henry VII in 1500.

Between the doorways of 1A and 2A Blickling Court, St Faiths Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Caius Scholar and Physician to Edward VI and Mary was born in this parish. In 1557 he refounded Gonville Hall, Cambridge 1510-1573.

168 King Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Music House The oldest dwelling house in Norwich. Home of the Jurnet family C1170-1210, Sir John Paston after 1478 and Lord Chief Justice Coke from 1613.

Music House, 167 King Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sarah Glover 1786-1867 Originator of the Tonic sol-fa notation, with her sisters Christina and Margaret founded a school for gentlewomen in Black Boys Yard.

The Merchants of Colegate public house, Colegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Amelia Opie 1769-1853 Authoress and Philanthropist born in a house which stood on this site, married John Opie the portrait painter in 1798.

Between St Georges and Water Lane, Colegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Adrian Parmenter 1589-1663 Elected Mayor for 1641. He opened the first Norwich office of the Excise in 1643 which stood on this site.

Owen's Restaurant, 1 Farmers Avenue, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
St Andrew's Hall The nave of the conventual church of the Blackfriars was built at the expense of Sir Thomas Erpingham 1357-1428 Warrior of Agincourt.

St Georges Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

St Christopher's Church On this site stood the pre-Conquest church of St Christopher destroyed by fire in the late 13th century.

5 Princes Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects