United Kingdom / Norwich

all or unphotographed
St John the Evangelist Church Near this site stood the church of St John the Evangelist, demolished c. 1300.

St John's House, 2-4 Rose Lane/King Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
St Margaret at Newbridge Church Near here stood the church of St Margaret at New Bridge which ceased to be a parish church at the time of the Black Death in 1349, and was later used as an anchorhold where John Martin anchorite lived in 1429.

The Gun Wharf, 42-58 St Georges Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of the Conventual Church of the Grey Friars dedicated to St Francis 1292- 1539

44 Prince of Wales Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Sydney Long 1870-1939 Physician, pioneer of nature conservation. Founder of the Norfolk Naturalists Trust and secretary of the Norfolk and Norwich Naturalist Society for 24 years lived in this house.

31 Surrey Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Lollard's Pit The site of a place of execution for heretics and other offenders in the sixteenth century

On front of the Bridge House public house, Riverside Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Matthew Parker 1504-1575 Born in this parish of St Saviour and educated in the parish of St Clement, consecrated Archbishop of Canterbury in 1559.

St Saviours Church, Magdalen Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
St Mary's Baptist Church Has met on this site since 1745. From 1689 the church worshipped in the East Granary of the Blackfriars Convent and prior to this in private houses.

St Mary's Baptist Church, St Mary's Plain, Norwich, United Kingdom

Sir James Edward Smith. Botanist and founder of the Linnean Society was born in this house 1759-1828.

West side of Sir Garnet Wolseley public house, near steps to Provision Market, Norwich, United Kingdom

Anthony de Solempne Opened the first printing office in the City in 1567, at the sign of the White Dove later known as the Edinburgh Arms which collapsed after the great fire in 1898.

Pottergate/Dove Street opposite St John Maddermarket Church, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Synagogue Street Derived its name from a Synagogue built on this site in 1848, and was destroyed by enemy action 1942. It was the only street so named in this country.

Mountergate, on wall of former Norwich Brewery, Norwich, United Kingdom

George Walpole Earl of Orford 1730-1791 Gave generously to public subscription for planning improvements made in his time. This place, formerly known as Hog Hill, was renamed Orford Hill in his honour.

8 Orford Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Walsingham Priors On this site stood the town house of the Augustinian Priory of our Lady of Walsingham conveyed to John the Prior in 1298.

Woolpack Inn, Colegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Whitefriars The site of a priory of the White Friars or Carmelites founded c. 1256.

Jarrolds & Sons Ltd., Whitefriars Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Mark Wilks 1748-1819 Baptist preacher and radical politician who served at St Clement's Chapel later known as Wheeler's Chapel which stood on this site.

Wooden fronted car park garage, Colegate, Friars Quay, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir Benjamin Wrench BA, MA, MD 1665-1747 Eminent Physician of this City for 56 years lived in a house which stood on this site.

Corner of Bedford Street and Exchange Street. Jarrold & Sons Ltd, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of the Pre-Conquest church of St Martin in Balliva demolished 1562.

Front of Eastern Daily Press Building, Cattlemarket Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Site of the Pre-Conquest church of St Vedast. Founded before the reign of Edward the Confesser. The church was demolished in 1540.

Temple House, 8-12 St Vedast Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Here stood the pre-Conquest church of St Michael at Thorn. Destroyed by enemy action 27th June 1942.

Thorn Lane/Ber Street. Low on wall of the EDP car park., Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir J E Smith 1759-1828 The natural historian lived here. He was the founder and first President of both the Linnean Society of London in 1788 and the Norwich Museum in 1825.

29 Surrey Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

John Sell Cotman 1782-1842 One of the most famous of the Norwich School of Painters Lived in this house

St Martin at Palace Plain, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
20 Westlegate formerly the "Barking Dickie Inn". This is Norfolk dialect for the "Singing Donkey" and derives from a badly painted sign of the Light Horseman.

20 Westlegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Circa 1650 23 White Lion Street The oldest surviving shop in Norwich Originally built as a saddlery in this French speaking quarter

23 White Lion Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Late 13th century church of St Michael Early 14th century to mid 16th century monastery of the Austin Friars incorporating the above church This stone arch was found in masonry thought to be an old tomb, during excavations on this site in 1948 and re-erected in 1970

King Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

On this site stood an Austin Friary built between 1360 and 1368 and dissolved in 1538. It was later demolished and extensive remains were uncovered in 1970 during the construction of this building A plan of the friary is preserved in the Norwich Castle Museum

King Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

In this 15 century house "Pilgrims Hall" & latterly "Old Rosemary Tavern" lived Thomas Pykerell Mercer thrice mayor of Norwich 1525, 1533 & 1538

St Marys Plain, Norwich, United Kingdom

This house purchased and preserved in 1924 by the Norfolk Archaeological Trust was built by Augustine Steward, Mercer, Sheriff 1526, Mayor 1534, 1546 and 1556. Burgess in Parliament 1547. [full inscription unknown]

?, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Here lived Joseph Kinghorn Scholar and Divine Minister of St Mary's Baptist Church 1789-1832

104 Pottergate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Remains of Anchorite House belonging to Whitefriars Monastery founded by Philip de Cowgate AD 1256

near St James Mill, Whitefriars, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Arms of William Appleyard first Mayor of Norwich 1403-4 to 1405 who lived and served his mayoralty in the adjacent house, built in the latter part of the XIV Century and esteemed the finest piece of flintwork in England

?, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Church of Saint Martin at Palace This Church, built to the Glory of God, is now in the care of the Norwich Historic Churches Trust. In using this building, remember it's origin with thanksgiving.

St Martin at Palace Plain, Norwich, United Kingdom

Near this spot on 6th September 1701 Francis Burges published the first number of the Norwich Post the first English Provincial Newspaper

Redwell Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
This gateway was restored in 1955 in memory of John Henry Guy a friend of Norwich and a Director of the Mackintosh & Caley Companies

Erpingham Gateway - Tombland, Norwich, United Kingdom

Remains of the Monastic Infirmary AD 1175-1200 Repaired AD 1896

near a car park at Norwich Cathedral, Norwich, United Kingdom

Castle Meadow Named after the castle, it was originally the ditch of the castle mound. It was widened in the 1920s when the mound was cut back

Castle Meadow (near the Castle Mall), Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Farmers Avenue Named after the Jolly Farmers Inn, which was in business from 1760 to 1962

Farmers Avenue, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Princes Street Named after the Princes Inn. Formerly Hungate, it was known as Hundergate in the 13th century - according to popular tradition the Bishop's hounds were kept there

Princes Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
London Street Renamed London Lane in the 18th century, after the fashion of importing London-related street names. Originally called Hosyergate, meaning street of the stocking makers - old Danish 'gata' meant 'street'. In the 17th century it became Cockey Lane after the stream which ran through

London Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Bridewell Alley Originally called Seint Andreu Lane after the church. Named after the Bridewell Prison established in 1585 which took its name from the London prison close to St. Bride's Well

Bridewell Alley, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
St John Maddermarket Maddermarket is known as a street name from the 13th century. Madder, the root of which produced a red dye, was sold at the north end of the churchyard

St John Maddermarket, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Bedford Street Named after the Bedford Arms. Originally part of Pottergate, meaning 'street of the potters' - old Danish 'gata' meant 'street'. Archaeological investigation has revealed an extensive 10th/11th century pottery industry

Bedford Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Elm Hill Named after the elm trees which stood here as early as the reign of Henry VIII. Originally known as Elm Hill Street or the Elm Ground. The last elm tree succumbed to Dutch Elm Disease in the 1970s

Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Monastery Probably named after the short-lived monastery set up by Father Ignatius in the 19th century

The Monastery, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Quay Side Named after it's function. There was once a ducking stool here, used for punishing dishonest people, usually women, in the river

Quay Side, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Francis Blomefield 1705-1751 The eminent local historian lived here.

13 Willow Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Bell Hotel Parts of this building date from as early as the 15th Century. It has been known as the Bell Hotel (or the Blue Bell) since at least 1696. In the 1750s the Bell was the headquarters of the Hell Fire Club and throughout the 18th and 19th Centuries revolutionary groups used to meet here. From 1943 until the end of World War II the Bell was home to the American Womens Army Air Corps.

The Bell Hotel - Red Lion Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Dukes Palace Bridge which spanned the River Wensum from 1822 to 1972. The cast iron arch was saved by the Norwich Society and presented to Castle Mall. It was restored and re-erected in 1992

Entrance to The Mall car park, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Britannia Barracks 1887-1959 Headquarters of the Royal Norfolk Regiment. Queen Anne awarded the figure of Britannia as the regimental badge for outstanding gallantry at the Battle of Almanza 25th April 1707.

Entrance to Norwich Prison, Britannia Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Near this place was killed Lord Sheffield in Kett's Rebellion 1st August 1549

Bishopgate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Coslany, 'Coslany' may mean 'island with reeds'. In the 13th century this bridge consisted of two bridges which ran onto an island in the middle of the river. It may well have been a crossing point in Viking times.

Coslany Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
This roundel marks the boundary of the Castle Fee, an area of the city directly controlled by the Crown until 1345.

Back of the Inns, Norwich, United Kingdom