United Kingdom / Norwich

all or unphotographed
Ironmongers' Arms A house has occupied this site since at least as far back as 1303. The present structure dates from the early-17th century. For long a baker's shop, this building has served as licensed premises since 1869. Until 2003 it was called the Ironmongers' Arms - believed to have been the only pub so-named in England.

Pottergate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Norwich Hippodrome Also known as the Grand Opera House, the Hippodrome opened in 1903 and hosted a multitude of famous acts including Laurel & Hardy and the young Archie Leach before he went on to become the more famous Cary Grant

St Giles Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
First Provincial Newspaper The Norwich Post, England's first provincial newspaper, was first printed on this site in 1701 by Francis Burges. The City also claims the record for the longest continuously printed local newspaper, the Norwich Mercury, founded in 1714.

Castle Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Corn Exchange Exchange Street takes its name from the Corn Exchange developed here in 1828 and redeveloped in 1868. Musicians Niccolo Paganini and Franz Liszt both performed here in the 19th century.

Jarrold's, Exchange Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Herbert Rumsey Wells 1877-1937 In 1904 Herbert Rumsey Wells became a partner in his father's cap-making firm, T. Wells & Son - the business supplied caps and hats, as well as ties, sashes and ribbons. The workshop was located close to this site. In his advertisements of 1935, H. Rumsey Wells described himself as "the most expensive capmaker in all the world". His "doggie" caps became well known all over the world. The business ceased trading in 1974

Rumsey Wells Place, Charing Cross, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Asger A former house on this site was occupied by a merchant of Bruges, John Asger. He was elected Mayor of Norwich in 1426. Another of his properties, next to St Lawrence's church, was gifted to a group of poor, religious women or beguines. This was one of 3 beguinages in Norwich, not found anywhere else in England. There is a memorial to Asger in St Lawrence's church.

Charing Cross, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Aeronautical Firsts In 1797 William Moore founded a company close to this site which was eventually to become Boulton & Paul Ltd. This company developed the first all metal framed aeroplane with the first ever major use of plastic in an aircraft in the world, exhibited at the Salon d'Aeronautique in Paris of 1919. It also built the airframe for the largest airship in the world at the time in 1925, the R101. The company is most famously known for the wartime nightfighter the Boulton Paul Defiant.

London Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Maddermarket Theatre Built in 1794 as a Roman Catholic chapel, the theatre was purchased in 1921 by William Nugent Blight Monck CBE and converted into the home of the Guild of Norwich Players. It was the first permanent recreation of an Elizabethan Theatre. The Guild became the Maddermarket Theatre Company in 1993. In 1940 George Bernard Shaw wrote to Monck: "There is nothing in British theatrical history more extraordinary than your creation of the Maddermarket Theatre..."

Maddermarket Theatre, St John's Alley, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Fishergate This area may have been the first settlement that can be thought of as 'Norwich', in its original forms NORTHWIC and NORVIC. Archaeological finds in Fishergate go back to the 8th century AD, and a coin of King Athelstan (reigned 924-939), which refers to NORVIC, is likely to have been minted in a defended area on the north bank of the River Wensum. In the 19th century a property here was known as 'Mint Yard' and may have commemorated the ancient mint.

21-15 Fishergate, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Bell Hotel With its origins in the late 15th century, the Bell (originally the Blue Bell) retains much of the character of an 18th century coaching inn. Its most notable associations are with 18th century and 19th century clubs including the French inspired Revolution Club (1793); the anti Methodist Hell Fire Club, which victimised Charles and John Wesley in 1754; the Eldon Club, which included the Duke of Wellington among its members; and a Lilliput Parliament for young people in 1837.

Bell Hotel, Red Lion Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Elizabeth Fry 1780 - 1845 Founded an Association for improving the conditions of Female Prisoners in Newgate 1817 and her efforts resulted in a complete change of prison management in this and other Countries. Born at Gurney House in the adjacent Court

Gurney House, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
City of Norwich Gaol 1827-1881 On this site stood a gaol which could detain 120 prisoners and for their misdemeanours they were sentenced to work a Tread Mill keeping a constant retrograde motion to grind corn.

On gate pier of St John's RC Cathedral, Earlham Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Coslany 'Coslany' may mean 'island with reeds'. In the 13th century this bridge consisted of two bridges which ran on to an island in the middle of the river. It may well have been a crossing point in Viking times.

St Giles Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Browne's Meadow Sir Thomas Browne 1605-1682 Physician and author of Religio Medici had a lease of a meadow on the site behind this plaque

Ferry Lane, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Romani DNA A skeleton discovered during excavations of an 11th century graveyard near this spot has been found to have a mitochondrial DNA marker unique to the Romani people. This is the earliest evidence for a person of Romani descent in the British Isles, and is 400 years earlier than any documentary reference to their presence.

Golden Ball Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Dove Street. Named after the Dove Tavern. Originally Smalegate, meaning narrow street - old Danish 'gata' meaning 'street'. Also Holdtor, from medieval English for prison tower, which may have pre-dated the Tollhouse in the Marketplace.

Dove Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Carrow Hill Near this place on 9-7-1940 five employees of J & J Colman Ltd were killed by German bombs. Maud Balaam (40) Maud Burrell (37) Bertha Playford (19) Gladys Samson (18) and Bessie Upton (36) were the first civilians victims of Norwich to die from enemy action during WWII.

Carrow Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Opened in 1977 the Norwich Arts Centre was named 'Britain’s Best Small Venue' by the NME. [full inscription unknown]

Norwich Arts Centre, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of The Tabernacle (Countess of Huntingdon's Chapel). Designed by Thomas Ivory for James Wheatley. Opened 1753 by George Whitefield. Leased to John Wesley from 1758 to 1764. Acquired by Lady Huntingdon in 1775. Demolished in 1953.

17 Bishopgate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Westlegate - Known as Wastle-gate in the 14th century. The 'wastel' or wheat bread market was located here.

20 Westlegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Thomas Ivory 1709-1779 Distinguished Local Architect. Built this house in 1771 which in 1860 became The Militia Barracks. Other buildings attributed to him are the Octagon Chapel, Assembly House and the Norwich Theatre.

Ivory House, All Saints Green, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Augustine Steward House Built in 1549 it was used as the headquarters of the two Royal Armies sent to quell Ketts Rebellion which took place in that year

Augustine Steward House, Tombland, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Garrett 1931-2007 Member of Parliament Reformer

Princes Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
George Skipper 1856-1948 Architect. Designed this Royal Arcade in 1899.

Arcade Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
This stone was laid by Mr Rumble of Norwich May 17th 1892

Drayton, Norwich, United Kingdom

Rev James Wheatley Who Died May 1775 First preached Methodism under the trees of Tombland in 1751

Shiki, Princes Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
This boundary cross was erected in the 15th century to mark the spot at which the King's Way crossed the Norwich city boundary.

Boundary Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

Known as Swynemarket in the 13th century. Later known as Alderhallen Green - from the Lld English earlna halena meaning All Hallows or All Saints, after the church.

All Saints Green, Norwich, United Kingdom

Pablo Fanque 1810-1871 Pablo Fanque, real name William Darby, the first black British circus proprietor, was born in Norwich and lived near to this site. He is immortalised in the Beatles song Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite, with the line: 'The Hendersons will all be there, late of Pablo Fanque's fair, what a scene!'

John Lewis department store, All Saints Green, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Robert Harvey 1696-1773 Born in this house, Mayor of Norwich 1738. He was one of ten members of the Harvey family to become a mayor of the City.

20 Colegate, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Confound and Destroy No. 100 Group Royal Air Force This tree was planted by 'Kiwi' Evans RNZAF and Eileen Boorman to commemorate the men and women who served with 100 Group RAF and to honour those who gave their lives. "We shall remember them"

?, Norwich, United Kingdom

Memorial Garden for 458th Bomber Group USAAF 100 Group RAF

?, Norwich, United Kingdom

This cherry tree was planted on 8th May 1995 the 50th anniversary of VE Day by veterans of the 458th Bombardment Group Horsham St Faiths (1944/45) It commemorates the anniversary of the ending of hostilities, the memory of their fallen comrades and their continued friendship with the people of Norwich.

?, Norwich, United Kingdom

Baptist Particular Chapel This 18th century building, which was originally a warehouse, was bought by the Particular Baptists in 1832 for £1150 and converted into a chapel which was used by them from 1833 to 1975. At the time there were eight Baptist chapels in central Norwich.

Timberhill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Muhammad Ali World Heavyweight boxing champion visited a supermarket on this site on 19 October 1971 as part of a promotional tour for Ovaltine.

St Stephens Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Mary Chapman 1647-1724 Wife of the Reverend Samuel Chapman, founded this hospital known as Bethel in 1713, which was built wholly at her own expense.

Formerly the Bethel Hospital on Bethel Street, Norwich, United Kingdom

Paper Mill Yard formed a small part of the Carrow Works factory development, established by Colmans in the 19th century. The name comes from the paper mill, which was found at this part of the site between 1884 and 1900. The buildings on the site not only produced the mustard for which the Colmans brand is so famous - flour, cereals, starch, sauces, baby food and laundry blue were all manufactured here.

Paper Mill Yard, Norwich, United Kingdom

The Boom Towers were built in 1344 to defend the approach to Norwich by water. The use of a chain across the water, between the two towers, controlled river traffic and prevented the unauthorised entry of vehicles. The eastern tower is known as the Devil's Tower.

near Carrow Road, Norwich, United Kingdom

From this site the Little Sisters of the Assumption served the sick and the poor of Norwich with love, skill and devotion for eighty-three years. 1904-1987

Grapes Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of the Chapel of St Mary in the Fields, founded as a hospice by John le Brun in 1248 instituted as a College in 1278 and suppressed in 1545.

front brick pier of the Assembly House railings, Norwich, United Kingdom

St Laurence The west doorway of the church shows the martyrdom of St Edmund by the Danes. Killed by arrows, his head was cut off but was protected by a wolf. The wolf is shown at bottom right.

St Laurence Church, Norwich, United Kingdom

Joseph Stannard 1797-1830 Lived in this house. He was the first of the Stannard family of painters which also included Alfred 1806-1889, Alfred George 1828-1885 and Eloise Harriet 1829-1915.

5 St Giles Terrace, Norwich, United Kingdom

John Morse 1745-1837 Sheriff of Norwich 1779, Mayor 1781 & 1803. He was a brewer of porter in the parish of St Martins at Oak. Lived in this house.

former BBC premises, All Saints Green, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Borrow House George Borrow, Author, Lover of Gypsies, Linguist and Traveller, Lived in This House From 1826 to 1833

George Borrow House, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Murderers Public House The Murderers/Gardeners Arms Public House is unusual in that it has two names. The Murderers name commemorates events that took place here in June 1895, when Frank Miles murdered his estranged wife Mildred, who lived here with her mother. He was given the death penalty, but this was later commuted to life imprisonment after public outcry, on the grounds that he had been provoked. Frank died in Parkhurst prison in 1905.

The Murderers pub, Timberhill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Erpingham Gateway Circa 1420

Erpingham Gateway - Tombland, Norwich, United Kingdom

Pettus House 41/43 Elm Hill. This building was a small part of the original house occupied by the Pettus family from 1550 until 1683. They included Thomas Pettus, Sheriff in 1556, Mayor in 1590, also Sir John Pettus, Mayor in 1608.

Pettus House, 41/43 Elm Hill, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
Earlham Hall The home of the Gurney family from 1786-1912. It was visited by their many friends including Amelia Opie, Harriet Martineau and William Wilberforce. The hall dates from c 1642.

Earlham Hall, Norwich, United Kingdom

Subjects
This stone was laid by Mr John Vassar of Norwich May 17th 1892

Drayton High Road, Norwich, United Kingdom