United Kingdom / Smethwick

all or unphotographed
John Tradescant 1608-1662 Royal Gardener Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee 2012

Shakespeare Garden - Lightwoods Park, Bearwood, Smethwick, United Kingdom

James T. Chance M.A. J.P. D.L. For fifty years a partner in the firm of Chance Brothers & Co at the Glass Works Smethwick and at the Akali Works Oldbury. He purchased the land for the Park, laid it out and endowed it and on September 7th 1895 opened it a gift to the public for ever. He also made the roads on the east and west boundaries.

Memorial to James Chance - West Smethwick Park, Smethwick, United Kingdom

Galton Bridge Built in 1829 by Thomas Telford. When completed, Galton Bridge was the longest single-span bridge over the largest earthworks in the world. The bridge was named after Samuel Galton, major shareholder.

Galton Bridge, Roebuck Lane, Smethwick, United Kingdom

Boulton & Watt's Soho Foundry Established in 1796 for the production of their renowned steam engines. The site was bought by W & T Avery in 1895

Foundry Lane, Smethwick, United Kingdom

In Rolfe Street stood the Theatre Royal One of the largest provincial theatres in the country. Opened 1897 Closed 1932

Smethwick Rolfe Street Station, Rolfe Street, Smethwick, United Kingdom

Originally the Smethwick Public Building Built in 1867 by the Local Board of Health and used as the main library since 1928

Smethwick Library, High Street, Smethwick, United Kingdom

The Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II was marked by planting of 5 oak trees in this park.

Smethwick Heritage Centre, Victoria Park, Smethwick, United Kingdom

Smethwick Cross Tollhouse built circa 1820 This road was part of the Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Dudley Turnpike 1760 - 1876

Smethwick Cross Tollhouse, High Street, Smethwick, United Kingdom

Site of the THREE SHIRES OAK An ancient marker of the boundaries of Staffordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire uprooted circa 1900

1 Thimblemill Road, Smethwick, United Kingdom

Kings Head Clock The Kings Head was originally a coaching inn on the Birmingham Halesowen turnpike, dating from around 1790. The inn was rebuilt as now in 1905 by Holt brewery and the clock was commissioned and erected alongside at that time. It is a typical 'Chamberlain' pillar clock, several of which survive around Birmingham. Fabricated in cast iron by Glasgow firm J & A Law, it was originally gas-lit and hand-wound. Around the base of the colum were a horse trough and dog bowl, which survive to this day. It was removed from the Kings Head in 1971, to enable the road to be widened. The clock was fitted with an electric mechanism, restored and re-erected in 1979 in High Street, Birmingham, where it stood until June 2015. Birmingham City Council generously offered the clock to Sandwell Council, to enable it to return to Bearwood. Following restoration and renovation, the clock was re-erected here in 2015, within site of it's original home. Tempus Fugit

Hagley Road West, Bearwood, Smethwick, United Kingdom

The parkland of Warley Woods was landscaped by Humphrey Repton for Samuel Galton in the 1790s and opened to the public in 1906

Warley Woods, Smethwick, United Kingdom

In this house dwelt William Murdock in the year 1817. He made the first locomotive and was the inventor and pioneer of gas lighting. Born 1754 - died 1839.

William Murdock's cottage, Foundry Lane, B66 2LP, Smethwick, United Kingdom

Malcolm X 1925 - 1965 International civil rights campaigner, advocated desegregated housing in Smethwick with his visit to Marshall Street in 1965 Recognize

Marshall Street / 13 West Park Road, Smethwick, United Kingdom

Site of James Watt's Smethwick Engine This engine pumped water back up the Smethwick locks from 1779 until 1891

Bridge Street North / Rolfe Street, Smethwick, United Kingdom

Founded 1822 Chance Bros was one of Britain's foremost producers of sheet glass, optical glass and lighthouse equipment Closed 1981

Chance House - Spon Lane South, Smethwick, United Kingdom