United Kingdom / Solihull

all or unphotographed
The Manor House Built by the Greswold Family c1495 Saved by Public Subscription in 1945

High Street, Solihull, United Kingdom

Subjects
Ernest H. Wilson 'Chinese Wilson' 1876-1930 Ernest Wilson was a naturalist and plant collector. He made several expeditions to Western China, collecting seeds and bulbs for nurseries. In total he introduced over 1000 new species into cultivation in the West. Ernest Wilson was born in Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire, in 1876. When he was quite young the family moved to Monkspath, Shirley where he attended Shirley School. At the age of 13 he started work at Hewitt's Nurseries in Solihull, which was situated next to the railway station. The houses of Dorcester Road now stand on the site. Ernest moved to Birmingham Botanical Gardens when he was sixteen, then on to the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew. It was while working there, in 1899, that he was chosen to go to China on a plant collecting expedition for the nursery firm of Veitch's of Chelsea. He made three further trips to China, and also visited Japan, Taiwan, India and South Africa, collecting plants for Veitch's and the Arnold Arboretum in America. Sadly he was killed in a car accident in America at the age of 54, ironic for a man who had several close encounters with death on his travels. His memory lives on in our parks and gardens with plants he introduced, such as Berberis wilsoniae, Clematis montana, Viburnum davidii, Rosa moyesii and Lilium regale.

Malvern Park, Solihull, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Pump House These licensed premises stand on the site of Westminster House, which had a bank on the ground floor with offices above. It was built in the 1970s, on the side of an old garage with hand-operated pumps. The garage was opened by Joseph Woods before the First World War, when Shirley was little more than a village. It was joined by other garages and also cafes to serve travellers along Stratford Road. A local guide published in 1929, described Shirley as 'a village of petrol pumps'. These premises were opened by J.D. Wetherspoon in December 2014.

The Pump House - Parkgate Shirley - Stratford Road, Shirley, Solihull, United Kingdom

Subjects
This statue was given to Solihull by Captain Oliver Bird, M.C., J.P., High Sheriff of Warwickshire, 1943-44. In memory of his father, Sir Alfred F. Bird, Baronet, D.L. of Tudor Grange, Solihull. From which place it was removed in 1953.

Malvern Park - Statue of a Horse and Horse Tamer, Solihull, United Kingdom

Subjects
W. Maurice Mell, LL.M. Town Clerk 1946-1965 who planned modern Solihull

Mell House, Mell Square - Drury Lane, Solihull, United Kingdom

Subjects
Wetherspoon Birmingham International Airport began as a small airfield in the Parish of Elmdon and was known as Elmdon Airport. The name Elmdon means 'hill of the elms. The first aircraft to land was a Western Airways twin-engine D.H. Dragonfly, on 20th March 1939. Dragonfly was the name of Wetherspoon's first outlet at the airport. Elmdon Airport was officially renamed Birmingham Airport, in April 1960, at a ceremony attended by an estimated 10,000 people. International flights were introduced in the 1960s. The Main Terminal was opened in 1984. These premises were opened by J.D. Wetherspoon in March 2015.

Wetherspoon - Departures Lounge - Birmingham Airport, Solihull, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Rotary Club of Solihull presented this stone and beech tree to the people of Solihull in celebration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II 2012 Sixty Glorious Years Stone donated and installed by Earlswood Garden & Landscape Centre & Mid Wales Stone The beech tree donated by Earlwood Plants Ltd Design by Solihull Council Landscape Architecture, Ecology and Urban Design

Malvern Park, New Road, Solihull, United Kingdom

To commemorate the centenary of the Great War August 4th 1914 - November 11th 1918 if not for them who fought and fell what would life hold today that we might live in peace and love they gave their yesterday

Shirley Park - Stratford Road, Shirley, Solihull, United Kingdom

Norton. This plaque commemorates the site of the Norton Motors Factory where production of the world famous "unapproachable Norton Motorcycle" took place between 1920 & 1963 and was unveiled in the centenary year of Norton Motors on Norton Day 21st June 1998 by Geoff Duke

National Motorcycle Museum, Coventry Road, Bickenhill, Solihull, United Kingdom

Subjects
To commemorate the fiftieth year of the beneficent reign of Queen Victoria. This oak tree growing nearby was planted A.D. 1887. This stone was set as a permenant record of the Queen's reign having been extended to the close of it's sixieth year A.D. 1897.

Station Road / Lode Lane, Solihull, United Kingdom