Open Plaques
United Kingdom

Stoke-on-Trent

7080484149_445a4b9477_s

Captain E J Smith born here on Well Street 27th January 1850 - died 15th April 1912. RMS Titanic 31st May 1911 - 15th April 1912 "Be British"

51 Well Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
8692033165_1347f58068_s

H. G. Wells writer stayed in this house during the year 1888.

18 Victoria Street, Basford, Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
8693561352_39d127e5c0_s

Here lived Ernest Albert Egerton born 1897 died 1966 who won the Victoria Cross at Passchendaele Ridge on September 20th 1917 whilst serving with the Sherwood Foresters

350 Uttoxeter Road, Blythe Bridge, Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
9524170429_3d117a39a2_s

The Bankers' Clearing House was transferred to Trentham Gardens for the duration of the 1939/45 War and in commemoration this statue was presented on behalf of the Committee of London Clearing Bankers by Sir Eric Faulkner on 24th. February 1976

50p piece sculpture - Trentham Gardens, Trentham, Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
9539517282_4de84cf5b9_s

This memorial stone erected by Cromartie, Fourth Duke of Sutherland, A.D. 1913 marks the site of Trentham Hall, and of the following incidents connected with this place. In the Seventh Century Trentham formed part of the Demesne surrounding the residence at Bury Bank of Wulphure, King of Mercia. During the reign of Wulphure A.D. 659 - 674 one of the first Christian churches of Staffordshire was erected here by St Werburgh, the daughter of the King. St Werburgh also added a nunnery. At the conquest in A.D. 1066 King William I resumedpossession of the Royal Demesne of Wulphure, and afterwards granted part of it as a manor to the Earls of Chester who before A.D. 1150 replaced the early church and nunnery of St Werburgh with a new church and a priory. At the reformation King Henry VIII again exercised his right to the ancient Royal Manor and although the priory was dissolved the church was preserved and it remained unaltered until re-built by George Granville 2nd Duke of Sutherland A.D. 1843 from a design by Sir Charles Barry, R.A. The original pillars of the nave of the Norman church were carefully preserved and restored on their ancient site. After the suppression of the priory A.D. 1538 the King sold the property in 1539 to the Duke of Suffolk and it was afterwards purchased by James Leveson in 1540. And the first Trentham Hall was either formed out of the old priory buildings or built on their site. An ancient plan dated 1599 shows it under the name of Manor of Trentham, and this was the residence occupied by Admiral Sir Richard Leveson for some years before his death in 1605. In A.D. 1634 a new hall in the Elizabethan style of architecture was erected on the site of the ancient priory by Sir Richard Leveson. K.B. In A.D 1690 the Elizabethan house was removed and the third Trentham Hall was built by Sir William Leveson Gower Baronet. This hall was much altered and enlarged by the first Marquis of Stafford, and the first Duke of Sutherland, until 1834, when it was re-constructed by the 2nd Duke of Sutherland in the Italian style from designs by Sir Charles Barry R.A. After the closing of Trentham Hall as a residence in 1905 it was offered for purposes of Higher Education. (1st) To the County Council of Staffordshire. (2nd) To the Mayor and Council of the Federated Borough of Stoke-on-Trent. But acceptance failing, the house was removed.

Upper Flower Garden - Trentham Gardens, Trentham, Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
9524161943_335c287305_s

This statue represents the rim of a 50p coin with the crests of the Clearing Banks of the time shown on the six visible sides and enveloping embryo man. It symbolises the all-embracing concern of the Clearing Banks for the financial well-being of their customers

50p piece sculpture - Trentham Gardens, Trentham, Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
13716920214_0617390f0b_s

Best-selling British solo artist and international singer-songwriter Robbie Williams lived on Victoria Park Road 1974-1975

Tunstall Park, Victoria Park Road, Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom

See unphotographed plaques

Data about Stoke-on-Trent as XML JSON KML GMAP