3840153599 09b51ecc17 m
Roman Wall. This ancient wall, a portion of the defences of the Legionary Fortress of Eboracum, was built circa 300 A. D. by the Roman Emperor, Constantius Chlorus, who died in this City in the year 306. He was the father of Constantine the Great.

St. Leonard's Place, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6960147599 e62b7edf23 m
Assembly Rooms This building was erected by public subscription 1730-1736 to the design of Richard Boyle, Earl of Burlington.

Blake Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
3840136739 b959ddfce9 m
Hornpot Lane. Leading to Holy Trinity Church. A name which has survived from the late 13th Century. Excavations in 1957-58 revealed a 14th century pit in this area containing the remains of horns associated with the horn making industry.

Low Petergate, York, United Kingdom

8108903882 bd38385889 m
The Yorkshire Philosophical Society transferred the Yorkshire Museum and Gardens to the citizens of York on January 2nd 1961

Yorkshire Museum, York, United Kingdom

6962809631 84610e6253 m
Golden Lion. The Golden Lion, originally the private dwelling of a wealthy local Cotton Trader and Mill Owner, was first licensed to sell Ale in 1771. Two years later the Pub was bought, at auction, by one Joseph Mollett for £715. In 1828 the Pub was once again on the market and was bought by Thomas and James Bell for £710. In 1902 The Golden Lion was described in the Chief Constables report as having:- 5 bedrooms, 3 of which could be set apart for travellers, an upstairs Sitting-room, a Smokeroom, Dram Shop, Snug, Bottling Dept., Cellar and Kitchen (where food is provided if required). There were 3 front entrances but no Stabling. The Chief Constables report went to comment that the Snug was badly lightened and small and that there was only one W.C. for family and customers. In 1971, the year of York's 1900th anniversary, the Pub was extensively modernised and was re-named "The Nineteenth Hundred". However in 1983, following a minor re-fit and by popular request the pub was renamed The Golden Lion.

9 Church Street, York, United Kingdom

8108749795 29f20477d4 m
This 19th Century North Eastern Railway Distant Signal, one of the last to remain in use on a passenger line, was taken out of service in 1984. Signals of this type on former North Eastern Railway routes were painted red until after 1928, so it has been restored to its original condition, and placed here as a memento of York's Railway Heritage, with assistance from the North Eastern Railway Association.

Station, York, United Kingdom

6960137335 7d989265c8 m
William Etty R.A. (1787-1849). Painter of York and one of the founders of the York Footpath Preservation Society lived in a house nearby.

City Screen, 13 - 17 Coney Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
5777092467 51d1a388c9 m
The Red House Built on the site of the Gatehouse of St. Leonard's Hospital by Sir W. Robinson circa 1718. Here lived Dr. John Burton, the prototype of Dr. Slop in "Tristram Shandy".

The Red House, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Joseph Aloysius Hansom 1803-1882 Architect and designer of the Hansom Cab was born and lived here

114 Micklegate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
8113570166 f4c7c96bf8 m
Exhibition Square. Created in 1879, it takes its name from the Fine Art and Industrial Exhibition of that year for which the building that now houses the City Art Gallery was erected.

Exhibition Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6942150485 c6d7845e0f m
Petergate. The Via Principalis of the Roman fortress. The street derives its name from the Minster, which is dedicated to St. Peter.

54 Low Petergate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6893554455 5761240425 m
St Sampson's Church. The Church is first mentioned in 1154. Its Tower was damaged by cannon balls in 1644 and the Church was largely rebuilt in 1848. The adjacent door is fifteenth century. The redundant Church was taken over by the York Civic Trust in 1974. It was restored and converted into an Old People's Centre by means of a Grant from The Hayward Foundation and was furnished and equipped by the Round Tables of York.

Church Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6893544695 a16695ea84 m
George Hudson MP 1800-1871. An Alderman and three times Lord Mayor of York, he became known as The Railway King for his work in bringing the railways to York. It was here that he had his original draper's shop.

1 College Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
35295637333 2a02b0ee8a m
Davygate. A thoroughfare for over 800 years and named after David, the King's Lardiner in the reign of King Stephen (1135) whose great grandfather had come over with William the Conqueror. He had control over the nearby Forest of Galtres and supplied the Royal Larder therefrom.

Saint Helen's Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
8115755502 f8bf914ac3 m
Our Lady's Row, Goodramgate. The oldest surviving row of houses in York built in 1316 in the churchyard of Holy Trinity to endow a chantry of the Bless Virgin Mary. The name Goodramgate derives from Gutherungate (13th. century) an Anglicised form of an old Scandinavian name.

70 Goodramgate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6780678242 99370607eb m
Red Tower. This Tower marks the termination of the City Walls, and at one time marked the commencement of an impassable swamp, which extended to Layerthorpe Postern, the position of which was near the existing Layerthorpe Bridge; the Tower suffered severely in the siege of 1644 and has undergone many restorations since that period rendered necessary by the nature of the ground on which the foundations are laid. Formerly the Tower was known as Brimstone House after a manufactory carried on within its walls.

Foss Island Road, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Samuel Tuke 1784-1857 Preeminent Quaker and social campaigner. Pioneer in the treatment of mental health and Manager of York Retreat lived here

Tuke House, Lawrence Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Joseph Terry confectioner and chocolatier (1793-1850) founder of Terry's of York had his first factory and shop here

3-5 St Helen’s Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
36005953720 9d2c7c84cb m
York railway station. This station was opened in 1877 by the North Eastern Railway Company to replace an earlier station built in 1841 within the City walls. Designed by architect Thomas Prosser and engineer Thomas Elliot Harrison, the station is now listed Grade II. This plaque commemorates the refurbishment schemes carried out in 2004 by Great North Eastern Railway Ltd with the support of the Railway Heritage Trust.

Station, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
7143266643 da2172d36a m
The Cross Keys dates from 1904 and was built by Frank Raney of Stonegate. The current building replaced an earlier inn of the same name on the same site. The new building, standing on the corner of Goodramgate and Deangate, can be viewed and accessed from both streets. Goodramgate was created in the Viking period, around 1100 years ago, as a street to connect the former Eastern Roman gateway with the former Northern Roman gateway. The street was originally called Gutherumgate after a local warrior, though some people believe it was after King Guthrum, who was defeated by King Arthur.

34 Goodramgate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
John barry plaque
John Barry (born 3rd November 1933) Oscar winning film music composer lived here 1933-1947

Hull Road, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
8115748823 e7b7d58a1e m
Frankie Howerd O.B.E. 1917-1992 Son of York

Grand Opera House, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6822092592 eafa382a7e m
Blue Bridge. The first bridge built on this site in 1738 was a small wooden drawbridge painted blue. In 1767 it was replaced by a fixed stone bridge and again by a wooden 'Turning Bridge' in 1792, which allowed boats to proceed up the Foss. Another replacement in 1834 gave way to an iron lifting bridge built in 1858. The current bridge dates from 1929-30. Two platforms were erected at the St George's field end of the bridge to support two cannons captured at the Battle of Sebastopol in 1855. These formed the City's Crimean War Memorial. The metal guns were melted down during the Second World War.

Blue Bridge Lane, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6796038120 a4f647ce3c m
Guy Fawkes Hereabouts lived the parents of Guy Fawkes of Gunpowder Plot fame, who was baptized in St. Michael-le-Belfrey Church in 1570.

Stonegate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6816690942 19397352c1 m
The south west wall of the Roman fortress lies buried below this store.

20 Feasegate, York, United Kingdom

6924209107 8a8705f5dd m
Near to this place, Margaret Clitherow of York, Saint of the Catholic Church, was martyred for her Christian faith, on 25th March 1586.

Ouse Bridge, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
8115747477 42c618840a m
The house of Margaret Clitherow who was martyred in York March 25th 1586 canonised October 25th 1970.

35 Shambles, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6968222077 c225dc4594 m
St. George's Roman Catholic Church Foundation Stone laid October 1849 Church opened September 1850 This was the Cathedral Church for the whole of Yorkshire from 1850 to 1864. It was designed in the Early decorated Style by Joseph Aloysius Hansom (1803-1882), who was a native of York - lived in Micklegate - and was architect for many notable churches and civic monuments both in England and abroad. He was also the inventor of the Hansom cab. This fine church was built in 11 months at a cost of £3,550.

St. George's Roman Catholic Church, George Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6977237577 0a7a117125 m
In the gardens of this house, a former Quaker burial ground, are the graves of many Friends, including John Woolman, William Alexander, William and Esther Tuke and Lindley Murray. Friends who wish may visit them.

Tuke House, Cromwell Road, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6977254009 51f8908a3a m
Micklegate Bar. The entrance from London and the South. Here were exposed the heads of Lord Scope of Masham 1415, Richard Duke of York (after Battle of Wakefield, 1460) "so York may overlook the town of York", (Shak.3.Hy.VI.1.4.). The Earl of Devon after battle of Towton 1451. The Earl of Northumberland 1572, and many others. The last being the Jacobites Wm. Connolly and James Mayne 1746. Date of erection 1196-1230, on older foundations. Exterior renewed and beautified 1716. Barbican removed 1826. The Bar was completely restored 1952.

Micklegate Bar, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6980576389 3fefcfe006 m
Trinity Court. 1638 Nicholas Towers (Sheriff 1656) constructed this building as a soapworks. 1785 Esther Tuke founded the Mount School. 1995 Restored by Frederick H. Brown Chm. London Ebor Developments Plc.

Trinity Court, Trinity Lane, York, United Kingdom

6980573959 7ce2a67304 m
This house was designed and built by William Carr in the middle of the 18th Century with extensions in the 19th Century. Faithfully restored by Derek Edmund Thornton 1985.

17 Bishophill Senior, York, United Kingdom

8108938868 c4069d2547 m
John Woolman American Quaker and anti-slavery pioneer died here Oct. 1772.

Marygate Lane, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
7001375111 58b64667aa m
Above may be seen a facsimile of the type of shutter which was used in medieval times to guard the bowman against a return flight of arrows. The Abbey wall which is 13th and 14th century is unique in that its battlements retain the grooves for these shutters which swing on trunnions the wooden guard after the bowman had fired his arrows in quick succession was swung down to protect him. The grooves do not exist anywhere else on the City walls and it is doubtful if there are any others in England except possibly at Alnwick.

Marygate, York, United Kingdom

8108916494 12856d58b0 m
The Multangular Tower. This tower formed the north west corner of the Region legionary fortress of Eboracum. It was built about 300 A.D. on the site of an older and simpler tower. The larger stonework at the top is medieval.

Museum Gardens, York, United Kingdom

6924212597 3e734c4286 m
To the memory of John Snow 1813-1858. Pioneer anaesthetist and epidemiologist born near here.

Park Inn, North Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
35970784081 00c082a236 m
St. Michael-Le-Belfrey the only pre-Reformation church in York to have been built all at one time (1525-1536) by John Forman, Master Mason to the Minster. Guy Fawkes was baptized here on 16th April 1570

St. Michael-Le-Belfrey, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
8109035446 39680a9625 m
W. H. Auden (1907-1973). Wystan Hugh Auden, poet, was born in this house on the 21st February 1907.

54 Bootham, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
5778103474 81e52d6830 m
Cholera Burial Ground Specially acquired for the burial of some of the 185 victims of a plague of cholera which lasted from 3rd June to 22nd October 1832. There are 20 surviving memorial stones, all of sandstone.

Lendal Bridge, York, United Kingdom

6796039126 a9f983c6b4 m
The Mansion House. The residence of the Lord Mayor during his year of office. It was built in 1725-30.

Saint Helen's Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
6893561865 bcb60e81c1 m
Castlegate House site of The Mount Friends' Girls' School 1831 - 1857

29 Castlegate, York, United Kingdom

8115749037 9599a03094 m
Clifford's Tower. The original motte and bailey castle on this site was erected by William the Conqueror. The present tower usually described as "the Great Tower", was built between 1245 and 1262 by order of King Henry III. It was encircled by a moat fed from the River Foss. By 1800, the moat was no longer in existence. The tower was taken within the confines of the new 'York County Prison' begun in 1826 and demolished in 1935. The grassed centre of the castle area known as the "Eye of York" is a legacy from the days when York castle belonged to the Crown. County elections and royal proclamations were issued from the precincts. This piece of land was transferred to York City Council in 1988 for the princely sum of £1.

Tower Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
8115746253 47cd649381 m
St Williams College. A unique survival of a non-monastic religious building, the college is named after Archbishop William Fitzherbert who was canonised in 1227. The college was founded in 1461 as a residence for priests serving chantry altars in the Minster. Sold after the reformation it was owned by Sir Henry Jenkyns in 1642 and housed the printing presses of King Charles I during the Civil War. Restored by Frank Green in the 1900s, the Dean and Chapter of York became Trustees in 1972.

College Street, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
5881712633 2b11e37099 m
The Coat of Arms of Charles I. The Coat of Arms above the entrance is that of Charles I who stayed in the King's Manor in 1633 and 1639. His father James I (James VI of Scotland) whose monogram appears on the doorway had introduced the unicorn the supporter of Scotland into the royal arms. The lion is the supporter of England. The two beast hold lances with the flags of St Andrew and St George. The fleur-de-lis of France and the harp of Ireland can also be seen. Note the N of the word MOИ. The coat of arms was restored by the York Civic Trust in 1972.

King's Manor, Exhibition Square, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
8115754196 2798f5525c m
Minster Gates. Here stood one of the Entrance Gates into the Minster Liberty, for foot traffic only. There have been posts here for probably 600 years. The approach was called at one time Bookland Lane and, after the coming of printing, Bookbinders Alley, because of its association with bookselling and printing. Note the sign on the corner property (→) depicting Minerva (goddess of wisdom and drama) leaning on a pile of books.

Minster Gates, York, United Kingdom

6911903373 734f44afbc m
Bedern Chapel. The remains of the Chapel of the College of the Vicars Choral of York Minster. It was consecrated in 1349. Nearby is the Common Hall of the College. The name Bedern (Anglo-Saxon) means House of Prayer (Bed-aer).

Bartle Garth, York, United Kingdom

8113541737 1ffe34a944 m
In commemoration of the boys and girls of the Blue and Gray Coat schools, founded in 1705 for orphan children of the City of York. This charity was amalgamated with St. Stephen's Orphanage to form the York Children's Trust, which erected this plaque in 1996.

Peasholme Green, York, United Kingdom

8116959442 d9855db298 m
Jaques Sterne, Precentor of York Minster lived here, from 1742 to 1759.

Minster Yard, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
8115747105 475c3fb839 m
On this site in 1768, The Ancient Society of York Florists held their first flower show. "Happiness being the ultimate end proposed by the Society". Supported by Yorkshire Gardens Trust.

24-26 Colliergate, York, United Kingdom

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
This Observatory was built by the Yorkshire Philosophical Society following the inaugural meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science in 1831. It has an earlier rotating roof designed by John Smeaton who also designed the Eddystone Lighthouse. The Observatory housed what was for many years the largest refracting telescope in the world, designed and built by Thomas Cook of York, whose firm also built the Greenwich transit instrument. It was restored and refitted to mark the British Associations 150th Anniversary meeting in York in 1981 and was officially opened by its President H.R.H. the Duke of Kent, G.C.M.G., G.C.V.O.

Museum Gardens, York, United Kingdom