Open Plaques
United States

Beeville, TX

Nophotosqr

Evergreen Cemetery. Block 1, Beeville original townsite, donated 1859 by Anne Burke. First owned by G.W. McClanahan, land was bought 1862 by county for "Public Burying Ground". In 1872, H.W. Wilson donated northeast strip, land was added on the northwest, and Court gave consent for a fence. Cemetery was restored in 1970. (1970) #1512

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#1512 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Beeville on the Poesta. Long before Mexico granted land (1834) on Poesta Creek to the first settlers, Anne Burke and James Heffernan, savage Indians roamed this valley at will. Their colony, although successful at first, soon met disaster. In 1836 James Heffernan, his brother John, and John Ryan, who had planned to join Texas patriots at Goliad, were planting a crop in a field at this site when they were massacred by Comanches. Also killed was James' family, in his picket house upcreek. Bee County was organized in 1858 and named for Col. Barnard E. Bee, a Republic of Texas statesman. Soon after, choice of a county seat came into hot dispute. A site seven miles east, on Medio Creek, was chosen for "Beeville". But ten months later, voters made the 150-acre donation of Anne Burke "O'Carroll permanent county seat, on the banks on the Poesta. The new town, first called "Maryville" for Mary Heffernan (relative of those killed in 1836) was soon renamed Beeville. In its first decade, it had two stores, one saloon, and a blacksmith shop. First courthouse was built for $750 on west side of present square, 1860. First railroad came through, 1866, and a larger courthouse was soon built. After it burned, the present one was erected in 1913. (1967) #354

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#354 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Cadiz Baptist Church. This congregation, orginally known as Lapara Baptist Church, was organized on Aug. 12, 1877, by 32 charter members. Services were held under a brush arbor and in a schoolhouse before a sanctuary was erected on Lapara Creek. The building was moved here in 1920, and the church was renamed for the Cadiz settlement. The facility later was enlarged to accommodate the growing church. In 1960 the congregation won the Rural Church of the Year award. In recent years the church has aided disaster victims and supported ministerial students and Christian crusades. (1983) #619

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#619 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Camp-Ezell House. A settler's "box" home built of Florida longleaf pine from house razed by Robert A. Ezell in Old St. Mary's. One of the structure's three chimneys served as a flue for two cooking units: kitchen stove and dining room fireplace. Ezell (1845-1936), a stonemason, built at this creek site in 1892. His wife Sara Jane, daughter of influential legislator L.B. Camp, was born at Mission San Jose, San Antonio. Six Ezell sons formed a popular orchestra, 1895 to 1904. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 #683

1313 W. Flournoy, Beeville, TX, United States
#683 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Captain A.C. Jones. One of builders of Southwest. Born in Nacogdoches County, son of very early settlers. Became a cattleman; served as sheriff of Goliad County in 1858-1860. In Civil War cavalry of Col. John S. "Rip" Ford for 4 years. Fought at Palmito Hill, war's last battle, 34 days after the surrender of Gen. Robt E. Lee. In 1886, raised $75,000 to build SA and AP railroad from San Antonio to Beeville. Aided in getting GH and SA to extend line form Victoria here in 1890. Was county treasurer, banker and the president and general manager of Beeville Oil Mill. (1965) #707

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#707 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Cook Home. Built by John Cook, who was born 1846 in Texas-bound wagon train; at 17 was in Civil War; in 1866 married Frances Miller. Lived in rock house, near this site. With son, R.J., contributed much to area cattle industry, with fine registered Herefords. House, erected 1897 of select long-leaf pine, placed to catch Gulf breezes. Each room opens on a porch. Has 4 fireplaces, with mantels of mahogany, maple, oak. Architecture is Victorian. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966 #1050

1001 W. Cook, Beeville, TX, United States
#1050 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Early Trails in Bee County. From pack trails and wagon roads that marked this area at least 300 years, have developed such modern roads as U.S. Highway 181. The old trails of Indians, wild cattle and mustang horses formed highways for 17th, 18th and 19th century expeditions coming from Mexico to claim sovereignty for Spain over land of Texas. When pioneers established land grants in this section, they also found Indian trails useful, placing towns along them. Beeville, the county seat, was situated at the natural intersection of San Patricio-Helena Road with Goliad-Laredo Road. About 20 miles south, the Matamoros-Goliad road ("Camino Real" to old-timbers) was probably the most historic road in this area. In the years 1861-1865 the "cotton road"--called "lifeline of the southern Confederacy"--crossed Bee County. A later route of great value was a cattle trail that channeled thousands of Longhorns from the Rio Grande to the Red River and up the Dodge City Trail or the Chisholm Trail to northern markets. In this area were also La Para (or Grapevine) Road; the Indianola-Papalote Road; and a road to now vanished St. Mary's, a port on Copano Bay, off the Gulf of Mexico. (1968) #1359

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#1359 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

First Baptist Church of Beeville. This church was organized in 1869 as the Beeville Baptist Church. Its first sanctuary was built near Poesta Creek in 1871. The congregation grew quickly, emerging as the largest among the 39 members of the regional Blanco Baptist Association by 1876. The congregation changed its name to First Baptist Church of Beeville about 1887. Through the efforts of the Rev. J.M. Sallee and his family, the church began tradition of extensive foreign missionary work about 1900. The congregation built its fourth sanctuary at this site in 1957. (1993) #1615

600 N. St. Mary's St., Beeville, TX, United States
#1615 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Thompson Building (First Brick Building on Square). Victorian architecture. Built 1892 by grocer J.C. Thompson (1836-1905) of brick from Calavaros Kiln near Elmendorf. Upstairs in 1892 was law office of Lon C. Hill, who later founded Harlingen. Afterward on second floor was "Beeville Light Guard" Armory. Acquired in 1910 by Eureka Telephone Company, was communications headquarters (1912-20) for Southwestern Telegraph & Telephone Company, and then for Southwestern Bell until 1957. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 #1692

108 W. Corpus Christi, Beeville, TX, United States
#1692 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

First Methodist Church of Beeville. In 1861, three years after Bee County was organized, the Rev. Berry Merchant of Corpus Christi assisted Beeville Methodists in establishing the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Between 1862 and 1870, circuit-riding preachers ministered to the congregation, and worship services were often held in Bee County's original courthouse, a small wood-frame structure. The congregation erected its first sancturary, a wood-frame building, in the early 1870s at the corner of Bowie and Monroe streets. In 1904, the congregation relocated to this site and built a Gothic structure with stained glass windows. It was replaced with a newer and larger worship facility in 1955. The congregation was part of the Corpus Christi Methodist District almost continually until 1891, when Beeville itself became a district headquarters. A district parsonage was maintained until 1927, when the city again was absorbed into the Corpus Christi District. Denominational mergers caused the congregation to change its name to the First Methodist Church in 1939 and to the First United Methodist Church in 1968. It continues to play an active role in the religious life of this community. (1991) #1747

106 E. Cleveland St., Beeville, TX, United States
#1747 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

First National Bank of Beeville. Beeville, the county seat of the Bee County since 1860, did not have a secure bank until 1890, when the First National Bank of Beeville opened for business. Prior to that year, the town's only banking facility was A.C. Jones' general store, where some area residents stored money under a loose floorboard behind the counter. The increases in population and trade volume brought by the arrival of the San Antonio & Aransas Pass and the Gulf, Western Texas & Pacific Railways in the late 1880s made the establishment of a bank necessary. In December of 1889 thirty investors met and organized the First National Bank of Beeville and elected A.C. Jones, Louis B. Randall, B.W. Klipstein, J.H. O'Connor, Viggo Kohler, J.C. Wood and J.R. Hoxie to the first board of directors. The First National Bank of Beeville operated on the courthouse square until 1894, when it relocated to the vicinty of the railroad depot. Functioning at that site for 66 years, the bank moved in 1960 and again in 1984 to be near major auto routes. It is one of the few banks in South Texas to have been independent and locally owned and operated for one hundred years. (1992) #1790

1400 E. Houston St., Beeville, TX, United States
#1790 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

George Home. Built in 1890 by Will H. and Julia George of materials from early house on land inherited from her father, Maj. J.H. Wood (Texas Cattle Empire Builder) who came from New York to join Texas War for Independence. Remodeled in 1900, house is raised cottage architecture andhas elegantly detailed interior woodwork. Many social and cultural functions were held here at turn of century. Present owner is Mrs. Mary M. Welder, a wood descendant. #2155

801 N. Adams, Beeville, TX, United States
#2155 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Jim Little Homestead. On 59 Ranch, granted to Little in1873, grazed earlier by his cattle. Home built about 1870, of cypress and heart pine that came by steamer from Florida to St. Mary's, then by ox-cart to site. Kiln on ranch made lime for early-type cement. Good water well, country store, made this a campsite for such travelers as Mexican horse traders. A stage stop on San Antonio-Brownsville road until railroad came into area, 1886. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966 #2754

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#2754 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Medio Creek. Named by the Spaniards about 1800 because of its midway position between the San Antonio and Nueces Rivers. Rises in Karnes County; empties into Mission River. Crossed by explorers, padres, soldiers, settlers who traveled on three early ox-cart roads that led from Mexico to Mission La Bahia at Goliad. The Cart War of 1857, between Texas and Mexican teamsters on the freight route between San Antonio and Gulf ports, originated along San Patricio Road, southernmost of the three roads. The Mexican cart drivers used mesquite beans as feed for their teams, starting the mesquite brush which thrives along creek. Settlers were attracted here by the tall grass, and many veterans of the Texas Revolution were given bounty lands in the area. First post office in Bee County was established in 1857 at Medio Hill pioneer community, once a down-creek settlement. In 1909, the town of Candlish was founded within 50 feet of here, with a hotel, general store, school. The store closed; Candlish became a ghost town. In 1938-39 on Medio and Blanco creeks, fossil beds yielded 1,000,000-year-old fossils of a new mastodon species (named Buckner's Mastodon), rhinoceros, elephants, alligators, camels and three-toed horses. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967 Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967 #3315

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#3315 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

McClanahan House. Oldest business structure in Beeville, erected about 1867 on east side of courthouse square, near Poesta Creek. General store, lodging house, post office. Pioneer western style, with southern porches. Built by G.W. McClanahan, Beeville's first merchant, school teacher, postmaster, county clerk, inn keeper, Sunday School superintendent. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964 #3840

206 E. Corpus Christi St., Beeville, TX, United States
#3840 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Papalote Creek. A few yards south passes Papalote Creek, crossed by the fierce Karankawa Indians who found kite-shaped pebbles and named it Papalote, which means "kite-shaped" or "wing-shaped". Along its banks came the leaders of the Power and Hewetson colonists, holding Mexican land grants in the 1830's. On its Rata tributary there is evidence the Mexican Army camped on its way to suppress the Texas Revolution. By 1857 the town of Papalote had emerged. It was the center of entertainment for the county, boasting of a circular dance hall built by cowboys trading steer yearlings at $3 a head for lumber. There were rooster fights, ring tournaments and horse races. In 1886, when the railroad came, the town was booming. After the turn of the century, however, Papalote began to die away. A land company sold lots to settlers from as far away as Hawaii. Expecting to grow citurs fruits, they were disillusioned when the first killing frost doomed the project. Threats of Pancho Villa's raids continued as late as 1916, when women and children hid in a brick schoolhouse. In 1948, Main Street was bypassed by U.S. Highway 181. Today there is no post office--only a rural route for the few remaining households. (1965) #3934

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#3934 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Praeger Building. San Antonio businessman Albert Praeger (1864-1930) moved to Beeville in the 1890s to open a hardware store and tin shop. He built this Romanesque Revival structure in 1906 to house his business, which included buggies and wagons as well as barbed wire and tools. In 1925 when Sam Mitchell became store manager, the second floor storage space was converted into apartments. Since the turn of the century, this has been a landmark on the courthouse square. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #4104

110 W. Corpus Christi St., Beeville, TX, United States
#4104 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Rountree Rock House. On land bought 1875 by Joseph Gustave Rountree (1838-80), who planned house before his death. Built 1881 by his young widow, Elizabeth Cornelia, with aid of her father, John Stillwell. The lumber was Florida pine, hauled from Rockport. Stone, quarried as caliche and hardened by the air, came fron nearby Mulas Hills. Structure has withstood major stoms and is still owned by descendants: Adele Rountree, Ann Marie Rountree Anderson and sons. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 #4364

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#4364 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Saint Joseph's Catholic Church. The emergence of this church is associated with Catholic services held by itinerant missionaries in the homes of predominantly Irish settlers located along the texas Gulf Coast in the late 1840s. The oldest written record of St. Joseph's Catholic church dates to 1876. The first church structure, built in 1891, became the site of regular services by the Rev. Raymond Monclus in 1893. St. Mary's Academy, opened by the Sisters of Divine Providence here in 1896,was replaced by St.Joseph's Parochial School in 1931. A new church building was erected in 1992 to serve growing membership. (1992) #4457

609 E. Gramman St., Beeville, TX, United States
#4457 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Saint Philip's Episcopal Church. First Unit, transept, built 1893 on this site purchased in 1890 from heirs of G.W. McClanahan. In 1910, nave added with funds from sale of block of land given to the missionary jusidiction of Western Texas by English born H.W. Wilson, 1888. Early members donated furnishings, bell tower and 1896 inscribed memorial bell. First Protestant parochial school in county was organized here in 1954. Gothic design retained in 1964 renovation. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #4487

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#4487 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

William E. Madderra Home. As superintendent of the Beeville school system for 34 years, William Eldridge Madderra (1870-1936) was responsible for much of the development of the town's early educational programs. Madderra, for whom a lcoal school building is named, purchased this house in 1907, three years after its construction, and lived here with his wife, Donna (Irwin), until his death. The house features late Victorian detailing and a three sided-bay to the right of the porch. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #5824

401 N. Adams St., Beeville, TX, United States
#5824 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

First Presbyterian Church of Beeville. Presbyterians in Beeville began meeting together informally as early as 1885. In 1890-91 the Rev. Henry Ruffner Laird (1842-1925) was sent to officially organize a congregation in Beeville, and this church was begun with twenty-six charter members. A sanctuary was built on the corner of Walton and North St. Mary's streets in 1892, and much surrounding property was acquired by the church in the succeeding years. In 1968 the congregation merged with the Ebenezer Presbyterian Church to form the First Presbyterian Church of Beeville. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #7125

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#7125 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

A. C. Jones Home. Built 1906 by Mrs. Jane Field Jones, (1842-1918), philanthropist, builder of a local school and teacherage, widow of "Father of Beeville," Captain A. C. Jones. Occupied 1918-1966 by Mr. and Mrs. Allen Carter Jones, III. Still property of descendants. Early 20th century Baroque architecture, with large formal rooms, 8 fireplaces, hardwood floors, high ceilings. Has been site for entertainment of Texas leaders, including governors. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967 #7126

611 E. Jones St., Beeville, TX, United States
#7126 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The Railroad in Bee County. On June 14, 1886, the first San Antonio and Aransas Pass (SA&AP) train arrived in Beeville to a cheering crowd. The arrival marked the combined efforts of SA&AP president Uriah Lott; Beeville merchant, banker and cattleman Captain A. C. Jones; and rancher Frank Skidmore to route the railroad through Bee County. When Lott's proposed line from San Antonio to the Gulf at Corpus Christi was opposed by the nearby town of Goliad, Jones granted land and substantial funds, while Skidmore donated land and the Skidmore townsite. Many others followed their example. Transformed from a village to a boom town, and surrounded by new farming towns, Beeville became a shipping point for cattle and cotton. In 1889, after the Southern Pacific completed a second line through here to Victoria and the port of Galveston, Bee County became a rail center with connections far and wide for passenger and freight service. Passenger service peaked in 1918, and by 1930 the Beeville-Skidmore line averaged 18 trains daily. During World War II passenger service increased, but improved highway travel led to its end in 1952. The Southern Pacific depot was razed in 1958, and the last train left Bee County in 1994, but the booster spirit of the railroad era lives on. (1997) #7128

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#7128 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Commercial National Bank. The Commercial National Bank of Beeville traces its history to January 1893 when several prominent citizens met to organize a financial institution. elected as officers were Dr. L.B. Creath, A.G. Kennedy, John I. Clare, and D.C. Stone. The bank opened in May 1893 with a capital stock of $50,000. Housed on the northwest corner of the courthouse square in a two-story brick edifice, the bank was successful from the beginning. Profits were posted from it first quarter of business, and by 1895 stockholders received a dividend of four percent. The bank building was remodeled in the 1930's and was modernized and expanded in the 1950s. a new banking facility was added south of the original structures in 1965 and included drive-in teller windows. A banking facility was added at Chase Field Naval Air Station in 1967. The main bank building added more space and drive-in windows in 1976 and 1982. A branch bank was added in 1985 at College North Shopping Center, and in 1991 the First State Bank of Mathis was established as a branch bank. Many prominent citizens have been associated with the bank, including state legislators. The bank continues to support and serve the community. #7146

100 S. Washington St., Beeville, TX, United States
#7146 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Colony Cemetery. Several Norwegian farmers and their families immigrated to this area beginning in 1894. Their settlement became known as Norwegian Colony or, simply, the Colony. In April 1897, Colony residents met to establish a cemetery and a cemetery association. Because three earlier graves were on a corner of Hans Thompson's property, he offered to donate an acre for the burial ground. His offer was accepted, and O.R. Peterson created a plan for the site, dividing it into four blocks of equal size. The fourth block was established as an open area for single graves available to anyone. Lewis Travland, Hans Thompson and Barney Olson became the association's first officers. Although the association wanted the burial ground reserved for those of Scandinavian descent, many others were initially allowed in the fourth block. This practice was discontinued when it became clear there was limited space. The first three burials are those of Hans Thompson's son, Carl (d. January 1896), Barney Olson's son, Barney (d. August 1896), and Telda Travland (d. April 1897). The two earliest birth dates noted in the cemetery are those of Nels Thompson (b. 1810) and Gertrude Hanson (b. 1826). Veterans of the Civil War, Spanish-American War and both World Wars are also buried here. The names of settler families and their descendants can be found throughout the burial ground, including Thompson, Travland, Selgelid, Kingsted, Nelson, Olson, Beck, Berkeland, Mickelsen, Torgerson, Lovell and Sivley. Today, Colony Cemetery, designated a Historic Texas Cemetery in 2002, is a link to the original Scandinavian families and their contributions to the community's rich history. (2004) #12945

?, Beeville, TX, United States
#12945 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

West Side School for Mexican Americans. In the years before Texas became an independent republic, Hispanic and Irish settlers established ranches and farms in this area. Their children received education at home or in community schools. Bee County organized in 1858 and in 1860 Maryville (Beeville) became the county seat. Beeville citizens incorporated in 1893 to form a school district, opening a new school the next year; St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church founded St. Mary's Academy in 1898. Outside the city, ranchers, who with their employees represented a majority of the area's Hispanic population, established schools on their property, and rural communities continued maintaining small schools. The Beeville school district built the A.C. Jones High School in 1911. At that same time, the district built the West Side School for the city's growing Mexican American population. The two-room frame building served students until 1932, when a brick schoolhouse was erected one block west at this site, facing Jackson Street. Mexican American students integrated into Jones High School in 1938, and lower grades integrated by the mid-1940s. During that era, two organizations, the American G.I. Forum and the League of United Latin American Citizens, began challenging inequality toward Mexican Americans. Their cases before Texas courts in the 1940s and 1950s barred segregation of Mexican American students. In 1954, Brown v. Board of Education did the same for African American students, who in Beeville attended the Lott-Canada School for many years. Since integration, the school district has continued to utilize the West Side, or Jackson, school building. The former school is remembered for its strong curriculum, educators and students, who succeeded despite segregated conditions. (2005) #13297

309 N Jackson, Beeville, TX, United States
#13297 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Jones Chapel United Methodist Church. This church, organized in 1888, was originally known as Jones Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church. At first, it was part of a circuit, and ministers often traveled by stagecoach or horseback as they rotated Sunday services among churches. Jones Chapel shared the Rev. J.T. Jacobs with Fannin Street Methodist Church in Goliad, and during its first year held services in a schoolhouse. In 1889, members built a sanctuary on land that Capt. A.C. Jones donated to three former slaves who served as trustees of the new church. Charter members included Classie Douglas, Ann Felix, Felix Garner, Lawson Green, Serena Hodge, Ellen Jones, Bell Lott, Leanna Lott, Mose Lott, J.J. McCloud, Carrie McCampbell, P.M. McCarty, Kimmie Nancy, Elvira Newton, Rebecca Simms, Wesley Simms, I.E. Starnes, George Steward, Katy Ware, Sam Ware, Harriet Williams and Mary Williams, and many of the church's early members were former slaves. Although members have remodeled and repaired the church several times over the years and have made additions, such as a bell tower in 1913, the church is still at its original location. The congregation remains active in Beeville's African American community. Members take part in Bee County's Juneteenth festivities and participate in a variety of programs, including outreach ministries to help youth and the economically disadvantaged. Members also aim to provide food and other necessities to shut-ins in the community. Even after more than 100 years, Jones Chapel fervently continues to serve the African American community in Beeville. (2006) #13517

115 N Leverman St, Beeville, TX, United States
#13517 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Rialto Theater. This distinctive building served as the flagship of a chain of 22 theaters in south Texas. In March 1922, brothers Henry and Sydney Hall announced plans to build a $25,000 two-story brick motion picture theater in Beeville. They bought this site, and Homer Boots was foreman during the construction, which took five months. The theater design included a stage large enough to host vaudeville performances and other attractions. W.C. Stephenson, who also designed the 1912 Bee County Courthouse, was the architect. The Rialto Theater opened on Saturday, August 19, 1922. The first film shown was The Three Musketeers starring Douglas Fairbanks; admission was twenty-five cents for adults and ten cents for children. On opening night, the management hired an orchestra to accompany the silent movie, since the $10,000 pipe organ had not yet arrived. More than 1,300 tickets were sold the first night for two showings. Here in December 1924, the Halls also started and early area radio station, KFRB, with a transmitter on the roof. Air conditioning was also a noted attraction, and the theater installed a sound system for "talkies" in October 1929. In 1935, a fire that started in the basement gutted the building's interior. The Hall brothers hired atmospheric theater designer John Eberson to redesign the structure, and his exuberant Art Deco interior and Art Moderne exterior featured bold colors and geometric patterns in materials, finishes and fabrics. During World War II, movie stars came here to promote war bond drives. The theater survived flooding damage caused by Hurricane Beulah in 1967 but eventually closed in 1986. The Hall Rialto Preservation Association formed several years later to restore and reuse the historic theater. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2007 #13965

112-114 N Washington St, Beeville, TX, United States
#13965 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

St. Joseph Cemetery. This cemetery has served the Catholic population of Beeville since the late 19th century, when the town experienced impressive growth. Noted bishop Peter Verdaguer of the Brownsville Diocese purchased land here from T.H. Nott in 1891, and the first burial occurred two years later. The St. Joseph Cemetery Association organized in 1920 to maintain the grounds. Beeville residents buried here include philanthropists, ranchers, cattlemen, veterans, and civic and business leaders. Men and women who emigrated here from a number of countries are also among those interred. Today, the Diocese of Corpus Christi and volunteers provide care for the grounds. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2006 Marker is property of the state of Texas #14024

1400 E Hefferman, Beeville, TX, United States
#14024 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church. #14200

108 North Burke Street, Beeville, TX, United States
#14200 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

St. Rose Cemetery. This historic African American burial ground is associated with two congregations organized in the 1880s. Many buried here were members of Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church or Jones Chapel United Methodist Church. Some burials took place prior to the site's official dedication as a cemetery. The earliest known burial, of former slave Nancy Williams, dates from 1901. Land for a community cemetery for African Americans was officially deeded in 1921. Among the prominent individuals interred here are Mose Lott and Allen Canada, who built the first Beeville schoolhouse for African Americans. Several veterans of conflicts dating back to World War I are also buried here. The St. Rose Cemetery Association organized in 1970 to care for this sacred site. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2008 #14265

1402 E. Hefferman, Beeville, TX, United States
#14265 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Lott-canada_school_2012-09-26_13-40-35

Lott Canada School. With few formal schools available, education for many African Americans in the 19th century came through church instruction. In 1876, the first African American school in Bee County began in Stephen Canada's store seven miles north of Beeville. The following year, Stephen Kennedy built a small frame schoolhouse. County commissioners granted Canada and Kennedy's petition to create "Colored Community School Twelve." Beeville provided separate schools for Caucasian, African American and Mexican American students. In 1908, Beeville school trustees bought land for a new African American school from R.H. and Clara Berry. In the frame schoolhouse completed on North Burke Street, prinicipal J.R. Lockett introduced courses in agriculture and science and matched the studies of other Beeville schools. A 1929 fire destroyed the building, and students were taught in temporary quarters near the Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church. Construction on a new school began in 1931. Financial assistance from the Julius Rosenwald fund of Chicago helped complete a brick schoolhouse with four classrooms and an auditorium. The school was named to honor Mose Lott and Allen Canada, carpenters who built the previous school which burned. The school offered ten grades, with additional years added through the 1940s. Gradual integration of Beeville schools began in 1955, with Lott Canada students attending A.C. Jones High School and the elementary school. In 1964, the Lott Canada School closed, though the school district continued to use the campus for other functions. The Lott Canada Alumni Association organized to preserve the heritage of African American education in Beeville. (2008) #15488

902 W. Corpus Christi, Beeville, TX, United States
#15488 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Beeville Post Office. #15808

111 N. St. Mary's Street, Beeville, TX, United States
#15808 of the Texas Historical Marker series

See unphotographed plaques

Data about Beeville, TX as XML JSON KML GMAP