United States / Bethlehem, PA

all or unphotographed
David Tannenberg (1728-1804). One of America's foremost pipe organ builders. Tannenberg, born at Berthelsdorf, Germany, emigrated to the Moravian community at Bethlehem in 1749. From 1760-65 he lived at Burnside Plantation, where he built organs as an apprentice of Johann Gottlob Klemm (1690-1762), then moved to Lititz. Tannenberg died while working in York, Pa. His nearly 50 instruments represent the finest tonal and visual artistry among early American pipe organ builders.

1461 Schoenersville Rd., at entrance to Burnside Plantation (near RR Xing), Bethlehem, PA, United States

Bell House. An early Germanic type of building; erected in 1745. Used first as the Family House. Girls' School, 1749. Bell, still in use, was cast in Bethlehem. Turret had first town clock, 1746. Weathervane is the church seal in metal.

56 W. Church St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Edwin L. Drake. Drilled first oil well in America in 1859 at Titusville, Pa. Lived at Bethlehem in this house for last seven years of his life, 1873-1880. In 1902 his remains were moved from Bethlehem to memorial monument erected at Titusville.

331 Wyandotte St. (PA 378), Bethlehem, PA, United States

Moravian Cemetery. Used as a burial place, 1742-1910. Site selected and consecrated by Count von Zinzendorf. Only flat gravestones were permitted. Here are the graves of persons of various nationalities and races.

W. Market St. at cemetery, Bethlehem, PA, United States

Old Chapel. The second place of worship, 1751-1806. Here many noted persons of the American Revolution heard early Moravian music and the Gospel. Prominent clergy were Bishops Nitschmann, Spangenberg, de Watteville, and Ettwein.

Heckewelder Pl. (one way) near W Church St., at site, Bethlehem, PA, United States

Samuel Wetherill (1821-1890). Chemist, industrialist, inventor, & Civil War officer. In 1852 he developed a process for extracting white zinc oxide directly from zinc ore. In 1853 he founded the Lehigh Zinc Co., with a plant here, pioneering the manufacture of zinc spelter and zinc sheet.

North side of Columbia between Webster and Adams Sts., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Pulaski's Banner. While Pulaski guarded this area in 1778, the Moravian women made a banner which his cavalry bore until he died at the Siege of Savannah in 1779. The banner was later immortalized in a poem by Longfellow.

W. Market St. between Heckewelder Pl. and New St., at Moravian Cemetery, Bethlehem, PA, United States

1910 Bethlehem Steel Strike. In February, 1910, over 9,000 steelworkers went on strike over wages, overtime, and work conditions. A striker was shot and killed here during hostilities that ensued. The subsequent federal investigation substantiated workers' claims and contributed to industry reforms.

Pierce & E 3rd Sts., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Crown Inn. A two-story log inn, built here in 1745, was Bethlehem's first public house. Located near the ferry that crossed the Lehigh River, it was visited by famous political and military leaders of the era. A bridge replaced the ferry, 1794, and the inn closed; was razed, 1857. (missing)

Riverside Dr. just SE of Lehigh River bridge (PA 378), Bethlehem, PA, United States

Charles M. Schwab (1862-1939). American industrialist and pioneer of the US steel industry. Schwab established Bethlehem Steel Corporation in 1904. By World War I, it was among the largest steel producers in the world and a major contributor to the war effort. Schwab's South Bethlehem home was here.

557 W 3rd St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Catherine Drinker Bowen. Author & historian. Her works include books on Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. ("Yankee from Olympus"), Sir Edward Coke ("Lion and the Throne"), & the U.S. Constitution ("Miracle at Philadelphia"). She lived here during her father's university presidency, 1905-1920.

W. Packer Ave. near Brodhead Ave., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Brethren's House. Built 1748 by Moravians as house for single men. Early industry center: bell foundry, silkworm culture, other crafts and trades. Military hospital in Revolution. Girls' school from 1815. Now part of Moravian College and a museum.

At site, W Church St. at Main St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Eugene Gifford Grace. President, Bethlehem Steel, 1913-45, & chairman, 1946-57, lived here. A protégé of industrialist Charles M. Schwab, he helped make the company the U.S.'s largest shipbuilder & 2nd largest steelmaker - a formidable supplier in two world wars.

114 W. 4th St. (corner entrance on alley), Bethlehem, PA, United States

Gemeinhaus. Erected in 1741. First place of worship in Bethlehem was on the second floor. Count von Zinzendorf had quarters here, 1742. Place of many notable conferences in the Colonial and Revolutionary periods.

66 W. Church St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

First House of Moravian Settlement - PLAQUE. The first house of the Moravian settlement occupied March 9, 1741, stood on this site. In this house on Christmas Eve 1741 COUNT ZINZENDORF, conducting a love feast, named the place Bethlehem.

Wall (S/left) of Hotel Bethlehem, 437 Main St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Lafayette. Here stood the George Frederick Beckel house, 1762-1872, famed as the place where General Lafayette convalesced from a leg wound suffered at the Battle of Brandywine, 1777. Beckel was then superintendent of the community farm here in Bethlehem.

534 Main St., near W Walnut St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

John Fritz. The famed mechanical engineer was superintendent of Johnstown's Cambria Iron Works, 1854-60, & Bethlehem Iron Company, 1860-92. Pioneered in production of rails and armor plate. A Lehigh trustee, he endowed the engineering laboratory here.

E. Packer Ave. at Lehigh's Fritz Engineering Laboratory (Lab 13), across from Webster Ave., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Hilda Doolittle (H.D.). The renowned poet was born here on September 10, 1886; died in Zurich, September 27, 1961. H. D. sought the Hellenic spirit and a classic beauty of expression. She is buried in nearby Nisky Hill Cemetery. "O, give me burning blue."

10 E. Church St., City Center Plaza, Bethlehem, PA, United States

Henry Noll. The productivity of this Bethlehem Steel worker, referred to as "Schmidt," was key to Frederick W. Taylor's landmark book, "Principles of Scientific Management." Noll was credited with loading 45 tons of pig iron a day in 1899, to increase his day's pay to $1.85.

E 3rd St., just E of Polk St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Heckewelder House. One-half block south, stands the home of John Heckewelder, famed Indian missionary and interpreter, author of works on American Indians. House was erected in 1810.

67 W. Market St., at Heckewelder Pl., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Gemein Haus - PLAQUE. Erected in 1741. The first house of worship in BETHLEHEM. Home of clergy among whom were ZINZINDORF - SPANGENBERG - NITSCHMANN - ETTWEIN - SEIDEL. Scene of the Great Wedding July 15, 1749. Place of the only school for the teaching of Indian languages.

On Gemeinhaus building near entrance, 66 W. Church St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

The Unknown Soldier - PLAQUE. Within this crypt rests the bones of an unknown soldier in the war for Independence. He was one of more than five hundred men who died in the hospital here at Bethlehem, and was buried on this hill side.

DAR House, 1st Ave. & W Market St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Sisters' House. Built in 1744. Brothers' House until 1748. Here unmarried sisters plied many of the arts and crafts for women. In 1778, Pulaski's banner was made by them.

50 W. Church St., near N New St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Robert H. Sayre. The engineer and philanthropist lived here. Directed construction, Lehigh Valley Railroad. A founder, Bethlehem Iron Co. Benefactor to St. Luke's Hospital, Church of the Nativity, and Bishopthorpe Girls School. Charter trustee, Lehigh University.

At Sayre Mansion Inn, 250 Wyandotte Street (PA 378) near 3rd St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Old Waterworks. As early as 1754, water was pumped from a spring to a water tower, that stood east of here, through hollowed trunks of trees. It then flowed by gravity to five cisterns or reservoirs. Original engine house stands about 60 yds. S.W.

Main St. N of Lehigh River Bridge, at base of bridge near stone bldg., Bethlehem, PA, United States

Moravian Community. Community organized June 25, 1742. The oldest buildings are on West Church Street. Those marked are: Gemeinhaus, Sisters' House, Bell House, Brothers' House, and Old Chapel.

Main St. near W Church St., at Central Moravian Church, Bethlehem, PA, United States

Moravian Archives. Repository for a very valuable collection of manuscripts and rare books on Moravian work among the Indians and pioneer settlers, and on original art and musuc of the Colonial period.

41 W Locust St., at Archives Building, Bethlehem, PA, United States

Sun Inn. Erection begun, 1758; enlarged and altered in 19th century. Considered one of the best inns of its time. Here many notable patriots and military leaders of the Revolutionary War period were entertained.

560 Main St. near W Broad St., Bethlehem, PA, United States

John Frederick Wolle (1863-1933). Organist, composer, and conductor. A major interpreter of J.S. Bach's music. He founded the Bethlehem Bach Festival and conducted the Bach Choir of Bethlehem, 1898-1905 and 1911-1932. Wolle was born and raised here in Main Hall.

85-87 W. Church St. on Moravian College campus, Bethlehem, PA, United States