United States / Boerne, TX

all or unphotographed
Ye Kendall Inn. The center section of this vernacular Greek revival structure was built in 1859 as a home for Erastus and Sarah Reed, who had come to Boerne from Georgia. Under later occupants, the home often served as lodging for those traveling through the area. In 1878 owners C. J. Roundtree and W. L. Wadsworth expanded the building, which they named the Boerne Hotel, to accommodate visitors attracted to the area by its healthful climate. A later owner, Dr. H.J. Barnitz, adopted the name "Ye Kendall Inn" in 1909. The inn features a 2-story gallery and a wide symmetrical facade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962 #5925

128 W. Blanco, Boerne, TX, United States

Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Von Herff. In the 1850s, a few courageous and well-trained European doctors responded to the health needs of the citizens of San Antonio. For more than fifty years, Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig von Herff worked tirelessly to provide leadership and medical knowledge and to improve medical practices in Texas. He was born Ferdinand Charles von Herff in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany on November 29, 1820, but he never used the name Charles. When he later became a United States citizen, he dropped the von from his name and was called Dr. Herff. In 1847, with a group of idealistic young Germans, die vierziger (the forty), Dr. Herff failed in an attempt to establish the Bettina Socialistic Colony in Texas. He returned to Germany and married Mathilde Klingelhoffer (1823-1910) in 1849. The next year, they immigrated to New Braunfels and settled in San Antonio. Herffs second home here on a ranch in Boerne was a family retreat. Dr. Herff practiced medicine here and was instrumental in bringing to Boerne the railroad and Saint Marys Sanitarium. During the Civil War, he served briefly as a Brigade Surgeon for Gen. Robert E. Lee and the Confederacy. However, the Herff ranch was occupied by Confederate Rangers as Herff was known as a Union sympathizer. He treated all in need, including Native Americans. Dr. Herff achieved many medical breakthroughs in surgery, as well as introducing new procedures to the medical community. As one of the great pioneer doctors, he held many distinguished positions in local and state organizations, and received honors for his many contributions. His diligent efforts for the profession and patients whom he loved helped set standards for the medical profession, facilities and continuing advances. (2013)

33 Herff Rd., Boerne, TX, United States

Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Von Herff. (Nov. 29, 1820 - May 18, 1912) The son of a prominent German family and a veteran of the Prussian Army, physician Ferdinand Ludwig Von Herff first came to Texas in 1847. By the 1860s he had set up practice in San Antonio, where he was an active civic leader. His medical innovations made him a prominent physician in the Southwest. Dr. Herff and his wife Mathilde (1823-1910) owned a ranch at this site and, through their interest in the area, led in the development of Boerne. Local residents honored their many contributions with a monument here on Malakopf Mountain, a site favored by the Herffs.

?, Boerne, TX, United States

1860 Temporary Headquarters of Gen. Robert E. Lee. -- #23

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Beseler House. Civic leader and Boerne businessman Maxmillian Beseler (1866-1939) had this stone Victorian cottage built for his parents, Charles and Minna Beseler, in 1903. A native of Prussia, Charles Beseler came to Texas in 1848 and served for many years as a Kendall County public official. Constructed by Ed Clemens of locally quarried rock, the home features a curved front porch, decorative woodwork, and shingle detailing. It remained in the Beseler family for over 80 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985. #383

518 North Main Street, Boerne, TX, United States

Cascade Cavern. Probably formed during the Pleistocene epoch by the underground passage of the Cibolo River, Cascade Cavern presents an interesting mix of geological, archeological, and historical features. It exhibits a combination of the joint and the dip and strike types of caverns, and is the home of a number of unusual animals, including cliff and leopard frogs, Mexican brown bats, and Cascade Cavern salamanders. Archeological evidence uncovered near the cave indicates the presence of two Indian sites. It is probable that the Indians used the cave for shelter, and soot found on the sides of a natural chimney suggests that they had fires. Commercial development of the cave, known earlier as Hester's Cave, began in the 1930s. The current name, taken from the seven waterfalls at the entrance to the cathedral room, officially was adopted in a 1932 ceremony led by State Attorney General, and later Governor of Texas, James V. Allred. Over the years, Cascade Cavern has provided visitors and Boerne area residents with many opportunities for recreation and exploration, and it remains one of the state's important geological sites. (1984) #749

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Early Boerne Schoolhouses. The origins of public schools in Boerne date to 1873, when the Boerne Gesangenverein donated land on which to erect a schoolhouse. A two-room stone building was completed in 1874 and served children in all grades. A small frame building was added to the property around the turn of the century, and the upper and lower grades were separated. In 1910 a new two-story stone school was built. It served students of all ages until a high school was built on Johns Road in 1929. The 1910 building was sold to the City of Boerne Utilities in 1951. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #1337

402 East Blanco Street, Boerne, TX, United States

German Music in Boerne. German music professor Karl Dienger, who immigrated to Boerne in 1855, organized a singing club (gesang verein) and band in Boerne in 1860. Dienger's music group consisted of musicians from throughout the area and was commonly known as the Boerne Village Band. The band reflected traditional German music, heritage, and culture and performed at various area festivals, functions, and events. Since the 1860s a number of musical groups similar to the village band have flourished in Boerne and other area communities. Boerne's German-style bands have gained statewide recognition. (1995) #2175

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Henry J. Graham Building. Constructed on Main Street in the late nineteenth century, this building first served as an office for the real estate, insurance, and private banking interests of Henry J. Graham (1854-1936). Born in Brazil, Graham came to Boerne in the 1870s. He was an active community leader and served as both tax assessor and deputy sheriff for Kendall County. His original office building later housed a variety of business establishments and was moved once before being relocated here in 1984. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986 #2449

402 E Blanco Street, Boerne, TX, United States

James House. This two-story limestone house is believed to have been built about 1880 by Ives Brown for Ichabod and Alice Kingsbury. In 1925 it was purchased by Maria (Williams) James (1859-1940), the pioneer surveyor and early community leader who platted the town of Boerne in 1852. Named "Puccoon" by Maria for her ancestral home in Hanover County, Virginia, the residence remained in her family following her death. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #2726

114 Oak Park Street, Boerne, TX, United States

Joseph Dienger Building. This limestone commercial structure was built for Joseph Dienger (1859-1950) shortly after he purchased the site in 1884. The ground floor housed his grocery and the second floor provided living quarters for his family. A later addition was used for the dry goods store of Dienger's sisters Lina and Louise. Owned by family members until 1967, the double galleried building features Victorian styling with German influences. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #2857

106 West Blanco, Boerne, TX, United States

Julius A. and Anna Phillip House. Built about 1900, this was the home of Kendall County Justice of the Peace and County Judge Julius A. Philip (1867-1935), his wife Anna (Meckel) (1867-1961), and their eight children. Originally built as a 4-room house, it was enlarged in the 1920s to accommodate the growing family, and the front porch was added in the 1930s. Prominent features of the house include board-and-batten siding, a gable roof, jigsawn porch brackets and turned wood frieze. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993 #2888

116 N. Plant Avenue, Boerne, TX, United States

Kendall County. Kendall County; created January 10, 1862; organized February 18, 1862. Named in honor of George Wilkins Kendall, 1809-1867; poet, journalist, author and farmer. One of the founders of the New Orleans Picayune; member of the Santa Fe Expedition; most successful sheep raiser in the Southwest, Boerne, the county seat #2920

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Kendall County Courthouse. First and only courthouse in county. Erected 1869-1870, seven years after county organization. Many locally prominent men were associated with the structure. The first county judge, Joseph Graham, was appointed U.S. Consul to Argentina. The first sheriff, Capt. John Sansom, was a member of the U.S. Army, a Texas Ranger and Indian fighter. S. B. Patton, former Alabama legislator, was elected second county judge. Early records reveal cases for horse theft, cattle rustling, illegal sale of liquor, assault. An addition was built in 1909, and structure was remodeled, 1954. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -- 1970 #2921

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Kuhlmann-King House. This structure was built in the late 1880s as a residence for German native William Kuhlmann (1856-1918), a successful pharmacist and landholder. He sold the home in 1908 to Selina Long King (1831-1910), whose sons operated the local King & King Lumber Co. The Boerne Independent School District owned the house from 1920 to 1951, using it for rental property as well as for school-related purposes. Hill Country artist Harry Anthony DeYoung (1893-1956) leased the house for two years while teaching art in San Antonio. The Kuhlmann-King house has been owned by the city of Boerne since 1951. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #2977

402 E. Blanco, Boerne, TX, United States

Saint Helena's Episcopal Church. The first Episcopal worship service in Kendall County was held in the Old Kuhfuss Hall in Boerne in 1873. St. Helena's congregation was organized by Bishop R. W. B. Elliott in 1881, and a small wooden church structure was erected on this site. By 1929 the need for a new church had arisen. The original wooden building was razed to make room for a new limestone sanctuary. Later additions have included educational and office facilities. St. Helena's Church, a part of Boerne history for over a century, has often served as a center of community activities. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #4440

410 North Main Street, Boerne, TX, United States

Saint Peter's Catholic Church. In 1866 Bishop Claude M. Dubuis of Galveston sent a young French immigrant, Emil L. J. R. Fleury, to organize a congregation and build a church to serve Boerne and the outlying towns and army posts. This stone structure was completed in 1867. Features include an entry portico with shingled gable end, a small belfry, and segmental-arch windows. Fleury, who left Boerne in 1869, returned in 1923 to help lay the cornerstone for a new sanctuary. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987 #4484

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Andrew Jackson Potter. (1830 - 1895) Born in Missouri. Orphaned at age 10, was a jockey, gambler, ruffian. Fought in Mexican War, 1846-47. Was a Texas Ranger later. Converted in a camp meeting, he learned to write and became a Methodist minister. Served 4 years in the Confederate Army. Like any chaplain, had pay and rations of a private. In camp he conducted regular religious services, counseled, taught men to read and write, handled mail, visited the sick. Once whipped an editor for libeling the Army. In battle line, until firing order came he had Bible in hand, preaching to his men "on the brink of eternity". Fought to end of battle, then took down from lips of dying men words to family or friends; prayed for the passing soul; aided the wounded. After war, with Bible in left hand, pistol in right, preached 30 years on Texas frontiers. Gave many a wild town its first sermon, sometimes preaching in a settlement's only public building-- a saloon. Founded several churches. From enforcing respect for his work with fists and guns, was called "The Fighting Parson". At home he owned on this site, 1868-83, several of his 15 children were born. He died in his pulpit, and was buried in Caldwell County. (1965) #161

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Theis House. This pioneer home was built in 1858 by German immigrant Phillip Jacob Theis (1809-1876), an early Kendall County blacksmith and wheelwright. The original part of the Theis house is a dogtrot plan of palisade construction. Willow branches were woven around cedar support posts to form the walls, which were then packed with clay and rock and finally stuccoed for protection. The Theis house is a rare surviving example of this construction type. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984 #5460

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Potter, Chaplain A.J.. #14825

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Fabra Smokehouse. A native of Germany, Julius Fabra (1827-1910) migrated to this area in 1854. After working as a freight hauler, he opened a meat market to serve the local farms. His son Ludwig (1858-1929) joined the business at the age of eighteen and constructed this smokehouse for the store in 1887. Originally a one-story structure, it was built of native limestone. A second story was added in 1904. Following Ludwig's death, his son Henry operated the market until he retired in 1962. The smokehouse is all that remains of the Fabra family business which spanned three generations. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #1546

202 S. Main Street, Boerne, TX, United States

Staffel Family and the Staffel Store. German immigrant August Staffel arrived in Texas in 1852 and in due course made his way to Boerne, where he purchased property at this site in 1854. When Boerne was granted a postal station in 1856, Staffel served as first postmaster and housed the post office on his property. Staffel's other businesses included the Staffel store, stagecoach office, saloon, livery stable and wagon yard. After August's death in 1870, his wife, Bertha, operated the post office out of the Staffel store until 1881 and sold the property in 1905. Reminders of early economic development in Boerne, the Staffel store and the Staffel family played a significant role in that heritage. (2001) #12546

334 S. Main St., Boerne, TX, United States

Stotts Home (Robert E. Lee House). #14280

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Ludwig von Herrf, Dr. Ferdinand. #14328

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Lex Sanitarium. #14702

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Boerne Cemetery When Adam Vogt (1822-1882) deeded land for this cemetery to the city in 1867, there were already some graves present. The earliest documented burial, that of Anton Peter Loth, dates to 1862. In the older sections of the cemetery are graves of area pioneers and German immigrants, including Vogt and George Wilkins Kendall (1809-1867), for whom the county was named. A row of paupers' graves may also be seen. Land acquisitions over the years have increased the size of the graveyard. Boerne Cemetery serves as a reflection of the area's rich history. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 Boerne Cemetery Established 1867 Historic Texas Cemetery - 2000 #445

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Homesite of Albert Paul Kutzer. A native of Kendall County, Albert Paul Kutzer (1871-1925) was the eldest son of German immigrants Reinhold and Pauline (Holzinger) Kutzer. A merchant and gin operator, he became one of Boerne's leading businessman. He also served as mayor from 1915 to 1920, school board president, and organizer of the Old Boerne Commercial Club. Through his public service, he was instrumental in Boerne's early growth. Kutzer and his wife, Lucie Henrietta (Schwethelm) (d. 1965), had their family home here from 1895 to 1923 in a house built for his parents in 1890. Incise on base: Sponsored by First United Methodist Church Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986 #2544

208 E. Theissen Street, Boerne, TX, United States

Nicolaus Zink. In 1844, Bavarian-born civil engineer Nicolaus Zink (1812-1887) was selected to lead a group of German immigrants overseas to establish settlements on a Texas land grant. This colonization effort was headed by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels and financed by a German corporation known as the Mainzer Adelsverein. Upon arrival in Texas in late 1844, Zink realized that the grant to be settled by the colonists was in the heart of Comanche Indian territory. He persuaded Prince Solms to settle at an alternate site, which became the town of New Braunfels. Zink's leadership in the face of unrest, disease, starvation, and monetary problems was vital to the survival of the colony. He eventually was responsible for the supervision of about one-half of the German immigrants bound for New Braunfels. After 1847, Zink built homes in a variety of places, including Sisterdale, Comfort, and an area south of Fredericksburg. In 1868, he acquired this property and built the central portion of the limestone house southeast of this site. He later gave land for and helped engineer the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad bed to Kerrville. Zink lived here until his death and is buried in an unmarked grave near this site. (1984) #3595

?, Boerne, TX, United States

Vogt-Clegg Log House. German immigrants Wilhelm (1826-1912) and Ernestine (1830-1907) Vogt built this house about 1860 as a one-room log structure. As their family of nine children grew they built two additional log pens connected by dog trot passages. In the 1870s they moved into a larger home next to the log house. San Antonio residents Luther and Laura Clegg purchased the property from the Vogt heirs in 1919 and it remained in their family until 1984. This cabin and the adjacent historic smokehouse serve as reminders of pioneer German architecture in Kendall County. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993 #5660

221 South Plant Street, Boerne, TX, United States

George Wilkins Kendall. (August 22, 1809 - October 21, 1867) A native of New Hampshire, George Wilkins Kendall was a journalist by profession. He was co-founder of the New Orleans "Picayune" newspaper in 1837. Kendall later wrote books chronicling his experiences with the 1841 Texan Santa Fe Expedition and the Mexican War. He moved to this area in 1857 and became a sheep rancher. His promotional efforts led to growth and development of the county, which was named for him in 1862. Recorded - 1989 Incise on base: Sponsor: Boerne Area Historical Preservation Society #2169

?, Boerne, TX, United States