Open Plaques
United States

Bovina, TX

Nophotosqr

Bovina. Early in the 20th century, this was one of largest cattle shipping points in the United States. Originated as the Hay Hook Line Camp of the XIT -- famed ranch that received over 3,000 acres of land in payment for building Texas State Capitol, 1882-1888. One of the earliest structures in Parmer County, division number eight headquarters of XIT, stood 400 yards northeast of site of this marker. The shipping pasture, 640 acres in area, was 1 mile east. The Pecos & Northern Texas Railroad built to this point in 1898, and cattle for eastern markets were loaded here. Train crews called the place "Bull Town", but the community chose the name "Bovina" when establishing the post office in 1899. This was the first post office in Parmer County, created 1876, named for Martin Parmer (1778-1850), patriot and signer of Texas Declaration of Independence. Although known to explorers early as 18th century, county had few inhabitants before 1907, when it was organized, with Bovina one of its leading towns. By 1915, Bovina had 200 people, 2 churches, a bank, a school, and a hotel for prospective settlers. It is now market and supply center for rich area of irrigated farms, and still produces fine cattle. (1968) #471

US 60, Bovina, TX, United States
#471 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Bovina United Methodist Church. The town of Bovina was organized in the early 20th century in the heart of the "XIT" Ranch on the Pecos Valley Railway. Soon after its establishment, a Methodist church was founded with nine charter members. The Rev. V. H. Trammell, who served as pastor from 1905 until 1908, helped organize the congregation and held services one Sunday a month. Members of the Bovina Methodist Church first met in a one-room schoolhouse. In 1910, during the pastorate of the Reverend J. A. Sweeney (d. 1919), the congregation constructed its first sanctuary across the street from this site. Much of the money raised to help build the structure came from cowboys on area ranches. The church hired its first full-time pastor during the 1940's. As the oldest Methodist congregation in Parmer County, Bovina Methodist Church has a long history of providing service and leadership to the community and the surrounding farming and ranching area. With its emphasis on Christian education, youth ministry, and music, the congregation continues to uphold the ideals and traditions of its founders. (1985) #472

4th and C Streets, Bovina, TX, United States
#472 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Bovina Cemetery. Prior to the founding of the city of Bovina, the XIT Ranch located its southern headquarters in this vicinity. The Pecos and Northern Texas Railway built through the ranch in 1898, and the settlement became known as Bull Town because of cattle frequently found on the tracks. A community developed around the railhead, and in January 1899 the official post office name became Bovina. Due to a boom in cattle shipping, the town's population began to grow after the turn of the 20th century. Since then, the city has owned this cemetery, which was maintained for a time by the Bovina Cemetery Association. The XIT Ranch initially used this site for burials of cowboys. Oral tradition holds that several gravemarkers initially bore only common names of the cowboys, such as Dusty and Big Jim. It is believed there were approximately 40 such graves, but all are now unmarked. The earliest marked grave is that of J.W. McDonald (d. 1907). Bovina Cemetery is the final resting place of veterans of military conflicts dating to World War I, as well as generations of area residents. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004 #13303

1st St, South St, Bovina, TX, United States
#13303 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Rhea Community. In 1901, brothers John and Joe Rhea purchased property from Capital Freehold Land Company, owners of the XIT Ranch. They later sold parcels of the land to farmers, establishing the Rhea Community. Many settlers, including a number of German immigrants, migrated here from the midwestern U.S. Early institutions included a post office, Immanuel Lutheran Church, which became one of the earliest of that denomination in the Texas panhandle when it organized in 1910, and a school. The schoolhouse also functioned as a community center until 1949, when the Rhea School District was divided into the Friona and Bovina districts. Today, Rhea remains a viable farming and ranching community. #15971

8 mi. N. of Bovina on FM 1731 turning W. on FM 2013 for 15 mi. to the Rhea Community Center, Bovina, TX, United States
#15971 of the Texas Historical Marker series

See unphotographed plaques

Data about Bovina, TX plaques as XML JSON KML GMAP