United States / Floydada, TX

all or unphotographed
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Floyd County. Floyd County, formed from Young and Bexar territories. Created August 221, 1876. Organized May 28, 1890, Named in honor of Dolphin Ward Floyd, a captain who died at the Alamo. County seat, Floyd City, 1890; Floydada, since 1892. (1936) #1928

?, Floydada, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Carr's Chapel. -- #735

?, Floydada, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Commercial Hotel. Alabama native William P. Daily (1865-1941) and his family arrived in Floyd County in 1911, settling briefly in the Muncy community (5 mi. N). After moving to Floydada to open a feed, coal, and wagon yard, Daily recognized the need for a hotel here. Construction began in 1912, and the hotel opened in January 1913, with 21 guest rooms. Catering mostly to traveling salesmen, Daily transported them from the railroad station in a horse-drawn buggy, and allowed them to display their wares in the hotel lobby. The hotel was renamed The Lamplighter Inn in 1964. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #1003

102 S. 5th, Floydada, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Baptist Church of Floydada. On July 19, 1891, The Rev. I. B. Kimbrough and a small group of worshipers met in the dugout home of Joe Arnold to organize the Floyd City Baptist Church. The congregation conducted early worship services in the North Side School building and at the local Methodist church. After the town's name was changed to Floydada, the church was renamed First Baptist Church of Floydada. Several traveling ministers served the congregation during its early years. The Rev. R. E. L. Muncy was called as first resident pastor in 1897, and he organized the first Sunday School in 1899. The congregation completed its first frame sanctuary at this site in 1908. Over the years additional property was acquired and larger structures were built to serve the growing membership. Throughout its history, the First Baptist Church has served the community with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs. The members and pastors have placed an emphasis on both foreign and home mission activities. The church continues to play an important role in Floyd County history. (1991) #1689

401 S. Main, Floydada, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First National Bank of Floydada. The James B. Posey Bank, established in Floydada in the 1890s, became the Floyd County Bank in 1900 when L. T. Lester joined Posey as a partner. In 1903, with the granting of a federal charter, the name changed once again to First National Bank. Lester served as first president, and the original stockholders included Posey, Lester, Columbus Surginer, Will W. Nelson, R. C. Andrews, J. R. Burrus, and John N. Farris, who succeeded Lester as president in 1911. The bank has occupied this site since 1912, and throughout its history has played an important part in Floyd County's development. (1990) #1796

124 S. Main St., Floydada, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Floydada Lodge No. 712, A. F. & A. M.. Organized by eighteen charter members in April 1891, this Masonic Lodge was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Texas on December 11th that year. Formed just one year after the town of Floyd City (later renamed Floydada) became Floyd County seat, the lodge has grown with the community. Early meetings were held in rented quarters over a general store. Lodge members have been active in numerous civic organizations, and a number of Floydada Lodge Masons have served as elected county officials. (1991) #1929

130 W. Mississippi, Floydada, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Roots of the Catholic Faith in West Texas. Spaniards first introduced the Catholic faith into this region when conquistador Francisco Vasquez de Coronado passed through in a 1540s expedition to conquer the fabled cities of gold. He and his men rested at a campsite in Blanco Canyon, southeast of present-day Floydada. The South Plains would come under the care of the Mexican Diocese of Linares. Once a United States territory, this area came under the jurisdiction of an American bishop who extended direct pastoral care. In 1890, the Catholic Church created the Dallas Diocese, which attended to this region. By the early 1900s, father David H. Dunn ministered to area Catholics, many of whom were immigrants responding to the availability of land in West Texas; other Catholic arrives from Mexico during the Mexican Revolution. By 1908, the first Catholic church in the future Diocese of Lubbock was built in Hermleigh. Soon, circuit-riding priests ministered in the area. In 1926, the Catholic Church established the Diocese of Amarillo and church growth continued in the following decades. The 1950s was the most productive decade of area church building, partially attributed to the Bracero program, in which hundreds of thousands of workers emigrated fom Mexico into the U.S. each year. Church building continued at a high rate into the 1970s. In 1983, the Vatican established the Diocese of Lubbock, formed from 20 counties of the Diocese of Amarillo and five from the Diocese of San Angelo, which was created in 1961. Today, the Diocese of Lubbock continues to serve the spiritual needs of Catholics in the region. (2008) #14687

?, Floydada, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Organization of Floyd County. Floyd County was created by the Texas Legislature in 1876. The Fort Worth and Denver City Railway Company began building westward from Wichita Falls, resulting in increased settlement of the area. Ranchers T. J. Braidfoot and J. R. McLain formed a partnership in 1887 to establish a town they hoped to promote as county seat. Named Della Plain, it soon boasted homes, businesses, and civic institutions. As more homesteaders settled northwest of Della Plain, a town named Lockney was created in 1889. Soon there was rivalry over which town would be named county seat. In 1890 M. C. Williams and J. K. Gwynn selected this site for a town called Floyd City. In an election held on May 28, 1890, the voters chose Floyd City as county seat. Officers elected were: Arthur B. Duncan, County Judge; John C. Hendrix, County Attorney; R. T. Miller, County and District Clerk; D. W. Jenkins, Sheriff and Tax Collector; E. E. Keeley, County Treasurer; L. C. Darby, Tax Assessor; W. M. Massie, Surveyor; and C. F. Ramsey, T. B. Michael, W. R. Vandeveer, and B. P. Merrell, County Commissioners. When a post office was established in September, the name of the town was changed to Floydada. (1990) #3867

?, Floydada, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Zimmerman House. Oregon native Fred Zimmerman, Sr. (1885-1954) came to the Texas Panhandle in 1916. He acquired a number of farm properties in the area and began a thirty-eight-year career of farming and ranching in Floyd and Deaf Smith counties. In 1930 Zimmerman hired Wichita Falls architect Ray C. Arnhold to design this house. A fine example of pueblo revival architecture, the stuccoed brick house features hand-hewn beams, vigas, and columns. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990 #5953

516 S. First St., Floydada, TX, United States

6255468080 a3b1e372d9 m
Dolphin Ward Floyd When this county was created by the Texas Legislature in 1876, it was named in honor of Dolphin Ward Floyd (1804-1836). A native of North Carolina, Floyd left his home in 1825 and arrived in Gonzales, Texas, about 1832. He married Esther Berry House and they had two children. In February 1836, Floyd, along with 31 other Gonzales residents, answered Lt. Col. William B. Travis/ call for help at The Alamo in San Antonio. During the battle that ensued, Floyd and his comrades were killed fighting for Texas' independence from Mexico. #1244

Floyd County Courthouse, S Main St, Floydada, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Floydada Chapter No. 31, Order of the Eastern Star. The Floyd City Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star (O.E.S.), was organized in early 1898 when members of the Floyd City Lodge No. 712, A. F. & A. M. and their families petitioned the Grand Chapter of Texas O.E.S. for a charter. Mrs. Ella B. Starks was named worthy matron and Mr. J. L. Crabtree was appointed worthy patron. Officially chartered in October of that year, the chapter had a strong beginning with its charter and many new members. In 1933 the chapter was renamed Floydada Chapter No. 31 in keeping with the renaming of the Masonic Lodge, since the town itself had been renamed soon after its founding. In observing their O.E.S. objectives, the Floydada chapter has contributed time, effort and funds to many charitable and civic projects and organizations. (1999) #11883

130 W. Mississippi Street, Floydada, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Della Plain. A severe drought in the mid-1880s brought Baylor County rancher T. J. Braidfoot to this area in search of better conditions for his cattle. In 1887, with the support of J. R. McLain of Seymour, he founded the settlement of Della Plain at this site. Other early contributors to the town's development included Seymour residents I. R. Darnell and Dr. L. T. Wilson. Named for J. S. McLain's daughter Della and for the surrounding terrain, it was hoped the town would become the county seat when Floyd County was formally organized. Della Plain became an early agricultural center for the region and was soon the site of a school, church, post office, stores and a newspaper, the "Della Plain Review." Growth, however, was limited by an inadequate water supply and by the establishment of the nearby towns of Lockney (1889) and Floydada (1890). Rapid decline began after Floydada was named the seat of Floyd County in 1890. Four years later the community cemetery was all that remained of Della Plain. Despite its brief history, the pioneer town had a dramatic impact on the region. Its residents led in the later development of the county and nearby cities. Their descendants still live in the area. (1982, 1987) #1202

?, Floydada, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Methodist Church of Floydada. The roots of Methodism in Floyd County can be traced to the 1880s, prior to the founding of Floydada and the formal organization of the county. Circuit riding preachers ministered to pioneer settlers at Della Plain (5 mi. N), and occasional worship services were held in a general store owned by J. S. McLain. After the county was organized in 1890 and Floydada was named county seat, the Northwest Conference of the Methodist Church established a congregation here. Initially served by The Rev. W. F. Ford, the membership held worship services in the local schoolhouse. In 1902 a community church was erected in the 300 block of N. Main Street. Although legally owned by the Methodists, the sanctuary was also used by other denominations in town. The building was moved to this site in 1913 and replaced by a red brick structure in 1918. As the congregation continued to grow, plans were made for larger church facilities. New buildings were erected beginning in 1953, and the red brick church was eventually razed. For over one hundred years, the First Methodist Church of Floydada has served the community with worship, educational, and outreach programs. (1990) #1753

201 W. Kentucky, Floydada, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Coronado in Blanco Canyon. From 1540 to 1542, Francisco Vazquez de Coronado led the first organized European exploration of the southwest in search of the fabled "cities of gold." With a company of more than a thousand men and women and thousands of horses and mules, cattle and sheep, Coronado trekked north from Culiacan, Mexico, through land that became Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. The exact route along which their Indian guides led the Spaniards between Pecos Pueblo in New Mexico and the Arkansas River in Kansas has long been a subject of debate among historians. Surviving documents are brief, vague and occasionally contradictory. Twice in the spring of 1541, the company camped long enough to have created detectable archeological evidence; the first time, they chose the site of a Teya Indian camp. A hailstorm struck, destroying most, if not all, of their pottery. They occupied a second camp for two weeks in a canyon that was described as being "a league wide." In the 1950s and 1960s, two pieces of chain mail were discovered by local ranchers in and near Blanco Canyon. Since 1993, a series of other objects, both European and from other parts of the southwest, have been found in the same area. They include projectile points similar to those used on crossbow arrows. Crossbows were obsolete after this expedition and are unlikely to have been used by any other group of significant size. In the late 1990s, archeologists began the task of confirming this area as the location of one of Coronado's camps. Evidence and artifacts recovered supported the theory that Coronado passed through Blanco Canyon. (2000) #12355

?, Floydada, TX, United States