United States / Fredericksburg, TX

all or unphotographed
Pioneer Store & Home. #14969

309 W. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Vereins Kirche. Church for all denominations, school and community hall. Built, summer 1847, after the Comanche peace treaty made by John O. Meusebach, Commissioner, German Emigration Company. Located in Main street between Courthouse and Market Square of early Fredericksburg. Razed after the celebration of fiftieth anniversary of the arrival of first settlers, 1896. Replica, first used as museum and library, constructed 1934-35. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #10123

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

John Peter Tatsch Home, 1856. Built by Tatsch (1822-1907), using local stone. A cabinet-maker and turner, did woodwork himself. At first floored only front rooms, using wide boards. North front room had the only fireplace. Rear gallery kitchen, fireplace and oven were added later. Tatsch, from Germany, during Civil War was a Minute Man. Wife was Maria Elizabeth (1828-1885). Children: Elizabeth, Sophie, Caroline, Wilhelmina, Richard. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #10121

210 N. Bowie St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Walter-Jenschke Sunday House. #15200

406 W. Travis St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Ellebracht-Moritz Homestead. Frederick Ellebracht (1809-1882) and his family came to Texas from Germany in 1845. Joining other immigrants from their homeland in Central Texas, they built this home in the early 1850s. The house consisted of one large log room with a loft. The home remained in the Ellebracht family until 1891 when it was purchased by Joseph Moritz (1860-1942), a stonemason who built two rough limestone additions onto the house before 1907. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987 #10034

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Philipp Hartmann Family Cemetery. Philipp Hartmann and Elisabeth Crenwelge were married in their homeland of Bruchweiler, Prussia in 1853. They and their two children immigrated to Texas in 1855, arriving at the Port of Galveston. They settled in the Live Oak area near Fredericksburg, where Philipp became a farmer and butcher. Nine more children were born to the family; the four who died in infancy and early childhood are a testament to the hard conditions of 19th century life. The family established this cemetery 100 yards north of their homestead in 1859. Elisabeth died in 1877 and Philipp remarried the following year. His new wife, Rosina Hildebrand, bore four children; two died young. Philipp died in 1911 and Rosina died in 1913, leaving a large and prosperous family. The Hartmann Cemetery remains a fine example of a German immigrant family graveyard. (1999) #11892

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Klingelhoeffer House. #17349

701 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Hoerster Building. Built at the turn of the century for J. A. Hoerster, this structure has housed a number of businesses over the years and was later owned by the Wieser family for over 52 years. The limestone Victorian commercial building exhibits its original storefront with narrow first-story columns and second-floor balcony with balustrade and bracketed columns. Occupants of the building have included retail stores, a barber shop, dentist, and city offices. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #10055

242-244 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

The William Rausch House. Gillespie County native William Rausch (1884-1939) and his wife, Olga (d. 1943), bought this property in 1894. They lived in an existing house until 1906, when they built this home. A stonemason and carpenter by trade, Rausch probably did much of the construction himself. The German vernacular limestone structure features a central gable with jig-cut decorative trim. the home remained in the Rausch family until 1943. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985 #10099

107 S. Lincoln, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

The Christian Kraus Homestead. This house was begun in 1859 by Christian Kraus when he and his wife, Anna Maria, settle din the Klein Frankreich (Little France) community. Kraus farmed and taught school here. The Krauses reared their 7 children and the 7 children of Peter Burg, who was killed by the Haengebrande during the Civil War. Kraus, who was instrumental in building St. Mary's Catholic Church (Fredericksburg), added a wing and second story to his stone vernacular home in 1879. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984 #10060

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Site of Fort Martin Scott. Established by the United States Army, December 5, 1848, as a protection to travelers and settlers against Indian attack. Named in honor of Major Martin Scott, brevet lieutenant colonel, 5th United States Infantry, killed at Molino Del Ray, September 8, 1847. Its garrison participated in many Indian skirmishes. Occupied intermittently after 1852. Held by the confederates, 1861-65. Permanently abandoned in December, 1866. #10039

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein. The Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein was established in 1871 in the tradition of German gymnastic clubs. Initially located at a site nearby, the club opened with a gymnastics school and a 9-pin bowling alley. In 1872 the club held the first of its annual Christmas celebrations and in 1883 sponsored a fire brigade which became the City Volunteer Fire Department. The Turn Verein moved to this location in 1909. Children's gymnastics, Christmas celebrations, and bowling continue at Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein, one of the city's oldest continuing organizations. #10043

103 W. Travis, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Cherry Spring Schoolhouse. School classes for the children of German immigrants in the Cherry Spring community were held in homes until 1885, when this limestone schoolhouse was completed on land donated by H. Bratherich. On dedication day, students formed a parade to the new building. The Cherry Spring Schoolhouse served the nearby residents until 1962, when it was consolidated with Fredericksburg. Today it is a landmark of early education in Gillespie County. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #10017

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Gillespie County. The trails of roving Indians crossed these hills settled by German pioneers in 1846. A group of Mormons settled at Zodiac in 1847. Created February 23, 1848; organized June 5, 1848. Named for Richard Addison Gillespie, a Texan from 1837, a defender of the Texas frontier, and captain in the Mexican War who fell at Monterrey, September 22, 1846. Fredericksburg, the county seat. #10044

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church. German Lutherans in the community of Cherry Spring began meeting together for worship in the 1850s. Diedrich Rode (1828-1925), a licensed lay minister, provided space in his home for worship services and Sunday School. Christ Church congregation was officially organized in 1905. John and Mary Rode Wendel gave land for a church building in December 1905, and a rock sanctuary was completed in 1906. Services were conducted in the German language until 1922, when occasional English services were added. In the 1950s English became the principal language. #10018

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

F. W. Arhelger Shop. Frederick William Arhelger, a second generation cabinetmaker and wheelwright, constructed this building in 1898 for use as a farm implement shop. Built of quarried limestone, it was designed to accommodate wagons and large farm equipment. The front ramp, double doors, and the absence of partitions provided maximum access to the interior. Arhelger operated the business until 1918 when he wold it to Ernst Schmidt. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10008

109 Adams St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Baethge-Behrend Homestead. Johann Heinrich Baethge (1814-1888), his wife Sophie Konradine (Pape) (1824-1888), and their two children immigrated to Texas from Germany in 1854. They lived at several locations in the Central Texas area before settling here on about 120 acres in 1867. The Baethges' homestead consisted of a main house constructed of handmade clay and straw bricks and a number of outbuildings. The Baethges' sons, Ferdinand and Heinrich, Jr., inherited the farm upon their parents' deaths in 1888. The family of Ferdinand and Louise Baethge lived here until 1937 when the property was sold to the August F. Behrend family. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995 #10009

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Henry Basse House. Descended from the Rev. Henrich S. W. Basse, a Lutheran pastor sent by the Adelsverein to serve German settlers in this area, Henry and Hugo Basse operated the Basse Brothers Cement Yard and created the Basse block, a popular building material in this region. This house, built in 1918-1920 by Henry Basse, is a testament to his business success and is a fine example of Basse block construction. A good local example of Prairie School-influenced design, it features a center passage plan and a three-bay, two-story porch with classical box columns on the first story. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991 #10010

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Heinrich Bierschwale House. This home was built in 1872-73 by German immigrant Heinrich Bierschwale, a teacher in the rural schools of Gillespie and Mason counties. He later served as county and district clerk in Gillespie County. The two-story stone vernacular house features a one-story full facade front porch with bracketed columns and six-over-six windows. Bierschwale and his wife Margarete had nine children. The home has remained in the family for over a century. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987 #10012

209 W. Austin St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Cherry Mountain School Complex. This complex represents a well preserved grouping of stone and wood buildings. The "old school", a pioneer-crafted one-room structure built on land donated by Carl durst, opened in 1883-84 with ten students. facilities added over the years include the "new school", a concrete block structure built in 1926, and an open-air theatre. Following the school's closing in 1949 the complex became the site for a variety of private and public social activities. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992 #10015

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Old Cherry Spring School (Das Alte Schulhaus). The Cherry Spring community was founded by German immigrants about 1850. Classes for schoolchildren originally were held in private homes. In 1859 German nobleman Wilhelm Marschall Von Bieberstein deeded ten acres of land to L. Schneider, H. Bradhering, W. Kothe, C. Ahrens, C. Kothe, and F. Doering for construction of a schoolhouse. Classes were held in the original part of this building from 1860 through 1878. the schoolhouse later was used for church services and was the site of the formal organization of Christ Lutheran Church in 1905. #10016

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Henry Cordes House. Fredericksburg native Henry Cordes (b. 1861) had this limestone residence constructed in 1893. Originally a three-room structure, it is a good example of the quality craftsmanship practiced by early area stonemasons. the grounds include a smokehouse, a tankhouse and a stone cistern. Cordes worked for many years in the Reliance Roller Mill and in the Stein Ice House. He and his wife Emma (Crenwelge) were the parents of three children. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10020

204 W. Schubert St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

County Jail of 1885. This two-story stone structure served as the fourth jail for Gillespie County, organized in 1848. It was constructed by the firm of c. F. Priess and Bro. in 1885. The ground floor housed a holding area and living quarters for the jailer. the second floor had two steelclad cells located against the east wall and maximum security cells in the center and at the back. The building was used as a county jail facility until 1939. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10021

117 San Antonio St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Crabapple School. German immigrants who came to Fredericksburg in the late 1840s and who later settled in this area erected a native limestone school which opened in 1878 with about 40 students. The land was donated by farmer Mathias Schmidt who according to local tradition earned the privilege by winning a foot race. Facilities added over the years include a teacherage and space for a post office, Lutheran church, and community band. Crabapple School merged with Fredericksburg's Independent School district in 1957 after which the community adapted the building for a variety of uses. #10022

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Christian Crenwelge Place. A native of Germany, Christian Crenwelge migrated to this area in 1854 and worked as a farmer and cabinetmaker. At a sheriff's land sale in 1872 he bought this property located across the street from his home. for a short time he operated a molasses press here. The Victorian style Sunday house was constructed about 1903. Crenwelge sold this residence and his homestead after the death of his wife in 1906. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979 #10023

312 West Schubert, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Hugo and Anna Gold Crenwelge House. Jacob Gold, Jr. (d. 1914) gave this property to his daughter, Anna (1878-1957), and her husband Hugo Crenwelge (1877-1948) in 1902. Three years later the Crenwelges built this home. Constructed of hand-cut limestone quarried near the site, the house features large ashlar blocks and lintels, a two-level gallery, and jig-sawn wood trim. An outstanding example of a rural German-Texan farmstead, the house remained in the Crenwelge family until 1965. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990 #10024

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Dangers Stone House. Built in 1851 by the Rev. Gottlieb Burchard Dangers (1811-69), soon after his purchase of this town lot from Friedrich Pape. Dangers, who had emigrated from Germany in 1849, was the second Protestant minister in Fredericksburg. The two rooms in the rear and the cellar were added by Dangers about 1857. The house was constructed in the pioneer German style, with some walls of fachwerk (half-timbered) construction. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974 #10027

213 W Creek St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Domino Parlor. The original part of this stone structure, containing a cellar with a vaulted ceiling, was built in the early 1850s on property owned by John Schmidtzinsky, a pioneer area settler. Once used as a pharmacy, it housed H. R. Richter's jewelry store in the early 1900s. Richter also sold musical instruments, and the front room was used for concerts. His family lived in the rear section of the building. In recent years a cafe and a domino parlor have been located here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10029

222 E. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Duecker Family Homestead. August Duecker, Sr. (1828-1894) came to Texas from his native Germany in 1852. He married Louise Feuge in 1854, and in 1878 they purchased a large farm in this area. Their son, August, Jr., and his wife Lina bought part of the homestead in 1886, and in 1888 built this house with native stone quarried from family land. Although enlarged over the years to accommodate the family, the two-story limestone house is a fine example of a rural German Texan homestead. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993 #10031

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Durst House. Carl Durst (1851-1923) moved to this community in 1873 and built a one-room cabin. After marrying Emma Ruegner about 1877, he made a small addition. The Dursts donated land for the nearby Cherry Mountain School, and teachers often lived in the 1896 stone addition to this house. From 1912 to 1926, Herman Durst, Carl's cousin, owned the property. The Durst house is an evolutionary structure reflecting the changing needs of its occupants. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991 #10032

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

The Easter Fires. Blazing on the hills around Fredericksburg each Easter Eve, combined with a local pageant, these fires recall an old tale. In March 1847, when Comanches and whites signed a major peace treaty, the Indians lighted huge signal fires on these hills. To calm her children's fears, one mother-- recalling Easter fires in her native Germany-- told them the smoke came from pots in which the Easter Bunny was dying eggs with flowers. As the tale spread and pioneers kindled the fires in each year of peace with the Indians, the local yearly celebration arose. #10033

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Enchanted Rock. From its summit, in the fall of 1841, Captain John C. Hays, while surrounded by comanche Indians who cut him off from his ranging company, repulsed the whole band and inflicted upon them such heavy losses that they fled. #10035

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Old Gillespie County Courthouse. Erected 1881-1882 in term of County Judge Wm. Wahrmund and Commissioners J. Dechert, F. Kneese, J. arson and J. P. Mosel. Architect was Alfred Giles. Native limestone structure is distinctive in fine balance and symmetry. Second courthouse built in county; used until 1939. Restoration and conversion to library-community hall is gift of Mr. and Mrs. eugene McDermott. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #10045

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Subjects
Adolph Gold House. Local banker Adolph Gold (1869-1931), one of the developers of Fredericksburg's first subdivision in 1900, had this house built for his family in the subdivision in 1901. The house remained in the Gold family until 1988. Built in a center passage form with native limestone and basse blocks, the house features a five-bay front with elaborate jigsawn detailing on the porch, paired brackets, a gable roof, and a centered pediment on the front facade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990 #10046

212 E. Travis, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Gold-Grobe House. Built in 1902 by Peter Gold, Sr., this house was originally a one-story center passage plan structure constructed of native limestone. Friedrich William Grobe bought the house in 1914. In 1916 he added a second floor and rear wing using concrete blocks manufactured by the local Basse Brothers Cement Yard. A descendant of Fredericksburg pioneers, Grobe was a blacksmith, surveyor, and farmer, and served as postmaster of the nearby town of Rheingold. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989 #10047

413 N. Llano, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

The Grapetown School. In 1882, Frederick Baag donated this tract of land for the third Grapetown schoolhouse. Completed in 1884, the structure was built with labor and materials donated by the community. All seven grades were taught by one teacher. In 1905, the facility became a county school known as Grapetown Line School, District No. 14. In 1949, the schoolhouse was closed as the district was consolidated with surrounding community schools. A total of 28 teachers taught here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984 #10048

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

The Carl Henke Home. Believed to be the first boy born among the German immigrants who settled Fredericksburg, Carl Henke (1848-1928) became a skilled stonemason. He built the original portion of this structure in 1874 for John Schmitt. the two-room native limestone house has a loft reached by an outside stairway. In the 1880s, Henke purchased the residence for his own use. A wing was added to the west side in 1911. The Henke family occupied this house until 1972. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978 #10052

116 E. Travis, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

The August Hennersdorf House. August and Johanne Hennersdorf migrated to Fredericksburg from Prussia in 1855. In the early 1900s they constructed this frame and limestone residence for their family. Evidence indicates the floor joists under the frame portion of the home may be the octagonal wooden columns from Fredericksburg's original vereins Kirche, which had been dismantled in 1896. Members of the Hennersdorf family owned the property for ninety years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #10053

205 W. Austin, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Holy Ghost (Heilige Geist) Evangelical Protestant Church. This congregation traces its origins to the first Protestant services held in Fredericksburg by the Rev. Henry Basse in 1846. Members worshiped at the old Vereins Kirche until 1888 when Carl Priess gave this lot for a new building. The first portion of the structure was dedicated in 1893. The tower houses an original bell from the Vereins Kirche. In 1948-49 the building was remodeled and enlarged, and the congregation became Holy Ghost Lutheran Church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10056

113 San Antonio St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

H. C. Keese Home. German native Henry C. Keese (b. 1834) built this farmhouse soon after he purchased the land in the 1870s. Constructed of wood and hand-hewn native rock, it included a large downstairs living area, a kitchen, and second floor bedrooms. Keese and his wife Caroline survived the hardships of frontier life, including attacks by hostile Indians, and members of their family owned the homesite for almost a century. Traces of the early farm are still evident. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10058

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Liveoak Creek Log Cabin. This dogtrot cabin was probably built before 1852, when surveyor J. L. Ankrin sold this property to John Peter Keller, one of the first Gillespie County commissioners. It was later owned by Keller's son-in-law, Francis Kettner, Gillespie and Mason County public official. Anton and Anna Loth bought the land in 1886 and in 1901 erected a 2-story native stone house nearby. The cabin was then used as a barn and corn crib. It was restored in 1973 by Mr. and Mrs. I. D. Lewis. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976 #10061

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Old Kammlah House. Four front rooms with outside stair to attic, built 1849 by German settler Henry Kammlah I. Smokehouse and rooms at rear added 1875. Old world technique of wall plaster over woven twig supports used in interior. Henry Kammlah II and wife Amalia, opened a general store in front room in 1870. This was continued by Henry III until 1924. House purchased 1956 and restored as museum by Gillespie County Historical Society. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966 #10064

309 - 315 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Loeffler-Weber House. Log room and loft were built by German emigrant Gerhard Rorig as his home in first winter of Fredericksburg's existence, 1846-47. Noted cabinetmaker Johann Martin Loeffler added typical rock and half-timber rooms and cooking fireplace, 1867; his son-in-law, J. Charles Weber, in 1905 restored the southeast lean-to. For Loeffler-Weber family, this was home or Sunday House for 90 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 Incise near base: Restored 1964 by Mr. and Mrs. george A. Hill, III Consultant: Albert Keidel, Architectural Designer #10072

508 W. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Schwarz Building. This limestone commercial building was constructed in 1907 by Charles Schwarz, a prominent early merchant of the area, and his wife Mary. Located on the site of the Louis Dietz home, it included ground floor space for Schwarz' General Merchandise and Dry Goods store and second floor living quarters for his family. The building later housed a variety of businesses and also provided meeting space for local youth groups and a veterans' organization. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10115

216 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

St. Paul Lutheran Church. Oldest rural Lutheran church in Gillespie County. The Rev. M. Haag served as first pastor. Charter members numbered 17. A frame building with walls of rough boxing planks was dedicated June 22, 1884. Size: 25 x 30 feet with a 40-foot tower. Cost: $600. In 1890 building was enlarged, interior finished, beaded ceiling installed. Altar niche was added, interior finished with sheet rock and exterior covered with tin in 1928-29. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969 #10107

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Meckel-Hanus Building. Saddle and harness merchant Henry Meckel (1855-1909) acquired this property in 1886 and soon made improvements to a one-story, ca. 1860 stone house already on the lot. A second level of concrete blocks and a double gallery of milled wood were added to the central-hall structure. Dr. J. J. Hanus (1898-1966) bought the building for a hospital in 1927 and altered the facade to its present appearance by 1929. The building served as a Catholic convent from 1949 through 1979. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986 Incise on base: Restored 1985 by Joe, Pat, and Eric Vance. #10081

307 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

The Meinhardt-Pfeil Home. The original section of this two-story limestone residence was constructed about 1850 by pioneer area settlers Albert and Doris Meinhardt. A widow in 1879, Doris sold the property to her former son-in-law G. Adolph Pfeil (d. 1926), a local cotton gin owner. He converted part of the living area for use as a blacksmith shop and later opened a soda water factory here. The house remained in the Pfeil family until 1939. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10082

125 W. San Antonio, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Mueller-Petmecky House. The original portion of this house probably was built between 1848 and 1850 by Willis Wallace, who was granted the land by the German Immigration Company. Of fachwerk construction, the two-room home later was acquired by German farmer Heinrich Mueller, Jr. Mueller's daughter Augusta and son-in-law A. W. Petmecky, who served as justice of the peace for 42 years, built the limestone addition after the birth of their second child in 1895. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #10083

201 S. Washington, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Moritz-Hitzfeld-Jacoby House. Built for newlyweds Edmund (1884-1958) and Anna (1881-1968) Moritz in 1907, this house has been occupied by the descendants of three of Fredericksburg's earliest families. Edmund and his father, Joseph, used limestone from their family-owned quarry nearby to build the house with the help of Anna's father, carpenter John Metzger, Sr. The house exhibits late Victorian-era styling with features of Germanic construction, which includes the use of native stone. The house was purchased by Levi and Caroline Hitzfeld in 1914 and in 1941 by Felix and Emma Jacoby. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994 #10085

608 N. Milam, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Morris Ranch Schoolhouse. Built in 1893, this schoolhouse was one of several structures located on the Morris Ranch, a noted center for the breeding and training of thoroughbred horses. Several local churches also used the native limestone building for worship services. The central section housed an assembly hall and each wing contained a classroom. The public school continued in operation until 1962, when it merged with the Fredericksburg district (13 mi. NE). Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10086

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States