Open Plaques

Unphotographed plaques in Fredericksburg, TX

Nophotosqr

Klingelhoeffer House. #17349

701 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#17349 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Jacob Neffendorf. JACOB NEFFENDORF BORN IN REDERT, NASSAU, GERMANY, JACOB NEFFENDORF (1822-1910) CAME TO TEXAS IN 1845 ABOARD THE BARQUE NEPTUNE. HE WAS IN THE GROUP WHO SURVEYED THE FREDERICKSBURG TOWNSITE AND ALSO HELPED MOVE FAMILIES HERE FROM NEW BRAUNFELS IN 1846. SETTLERS RECEIVED A 100 BY 200 FOOT TOWN LOT AND A 10-ACRE OUTLOT FOR FARMING. NEFFENDORF BUILT A LOG CABIN ON HIS TOWN LOT ON CREEK STREET AND LIVED THERE WHILE CLEARING HIS OUTLOT NEAR THE KREUZBERG (CROSS MOUNTAIN). HE BOUGHT NEARBY OUTLOTS UNTIL ACCUMULATING MORE THAN 200 ACRES IN THIS VICINITY. JACOB MARRIED KATHERINA DIETZ (1828-1904) IN AUGUST 1850; THE COUPLE RAISED EIGHT CHILDREN IN THEIR HOME NEAR THIS SITE. JACOB SERVED AS GILLESPIE COUNTY TREASURER IN 1874-76. (2010) #16503

1219 Spotted Fawn Trail, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#16503 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Old St. Mary's Catholic Church (Die Alte Kirche) St. Mary's Parish dates to 1846 with the arrival of German settlers in Fredercksburg. Construction of this building, which replaced an earlier log structure, was completed in 1863 during the pastorate of the Rev. Peter Baunach. It served as the parish church until a larger building was constructed in 1906, after which it served a variety of purposes., including a schoolhouse. The fine Gothic features of Old St. Mary's are exhibited in its distinctive steeple, pointed-arch windows, and stone buttresses. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1994 #15401

300 W. San Antonio St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#15401 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Walter-Jenschke Sunday House. #15200

406 W. Travis St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#15200 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Pioneer Store & Home. #14969

309 W. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#14969 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Frank Van Der Stucken Birthplace. #14946

123 E. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#14946 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

St. Mary's Catholic Church Rapid membership growth during the late 19th century prompted St. Mary's Church to complete plans for a new sanctuary in 1901. This Gothic-inspired native stone structure was designed by prominent San Antonio architect Leo M. Dielmann and built by contractor Jacob Wagner in 1906. It features an asymmetrical front facade with a dominant corner tower and spire containing three bells transferred from the nearby 1863 sanctuary. Commemorative stained glass windows were installed in 1906 and 1914-1917; altar windows portray Wagner's daughter and the son of an early parishioner. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1995 #14697

304 W. San Antonio, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#14697 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church. #14535

302 E. College St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#14535 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Moseley Log Cabin. #14225

307 W. Schubert Street, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#14225 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

St. Paul Lutheran Cemetery. In November 1883, residents of the North Grape Creek community, later known as Cave Creek, formed a German Lutheran congregation, which they named St. Paulus Evangelische Gemeinde an Nord Grape Creek. Conrad Herbort gave land for a sanctuary, cemetery and parsonage. The first burial in the cemetery dates to March 1884, and grave markers feature German inscriptions and ornate ironwork. Church members continue to use the cemetery, which remains a link to the many individuals and families who have contributed over the years to the church and community. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004 #13316

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#13316 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

J. W. and Ruth Baines House. J.W. and Ruth Baines House Joseph W. and Ruth (Huffman) Baines, maternal grandparents of President Lyndon Baines Johnson, built their home here in 1904, following Joseph's service in the Civil War and a career as a journalist, Texas Secretary of State, legislator and attorney. The couple used prefabricated cement blocks, made locally by Hugo and Henry Basse, and known as Basse Blocks, on the exterior of the home. Other features include a gabled dormer with paired windows above the entryway, jigsawn fretwork and turned columns. The widowed Ruth sold the home in 1907, the same year daughter Rebekah wed Sam Johnson. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2002 #12975

112 W. College Street, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#12975 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Wahrmund-Priess House. The larger of the two houses on this property is original to the site and dates to the period of settlement by German immigrants in this part of Texas. Johann Christian Wahrmund brought his family to Texas in 1846 and by 1851 they were living on this tract of land along Bear Creek. The original portion of the stone house was built between 1852 and 1866. Prussian immigrant Johann Priess bought the house from the Wahrmunds in 1866, and his family enlarged it during the 1870s and 1880s. The house remained under Priess ownership until 1931. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001 #12488

575 Buckeye Rd., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#12488 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Kuenemann House. Frederick Kuenemann and his family sailed from Bremen, Germany in September 1845. Once in Texas they faced great hardship, walking epidemic-crowded roads to New Braunfels, suffering the death of one daughter on the way and arriving in newly settled Fredericksburg in 1846. In 1866 Kuenemann bought the 'fachwerk" or "half-timbered" dwelling which comprises the ground floor of the house. Probably built in 1847 by Heinrich Schupp, the frame of heavy timbers and diagonal bracing filled with fieldstone is a classic example of European medieval building method. In 1875 the eldest Kuenemann son, Heinrich, was given the home and three adjoining town lots. The family business complex came to include furniture shops adjacent to the main house, a large lumberyard across the street, and a hardware store on Main Street. By the 1880s a kitchen, second floor with double gallery, and Victorian gingerbread trim had been added to the main house. The evolution of the Kuenemann house from typical early settler's cottage to affluent Victorian grandeur is a classic Texas story like that of the family itself. The last Kuenemann left the house in 1929; it was then used as a nursing home and private residence. (1998) #11893

413 W. Creek St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#11893 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Philipp Hartmann Family Cemetery. Philipp Hartmann and Elisabeth Crenwelge were married in their homeland of Bruchweiler, Prussia in 1853. They and their two children immigrated to Texas in 1855, arriving at the Port of Galveston. They settled in the Live Oak area near Fredericksburg, where Philipp became a farmer and butcher. Nine more children were born to the family; the four who died in infancy and early childhood are a testament to the hard conditions of 19th century life. The family established this cemetery 100 yards north of their homestead in 1859. Elisabeth died in 1877 and Philipp remarried the following year. His new wife, Rosina Hildebrand, bore four children; two died young. Philipp died in 1911 and Rosina died in 1913, leaving a large and prosperous family. The Hartmann Cemetery remains a fine example of a German immigrant family graveyard. (1999) #11892

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#11892 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Site of Zodiac. A Mormon settlement. Established in 1847 by 150 Mormons under the leadership of Lyman Wight (1796-1858). Abandoned in 1851 after floods destroyed their mill. #10133

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10133 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. Built 1852 by congregation, hewing wood by hand; quarrying native limestone; Swiss missionary pastor serving as night foreman at lime kiln. Texas Hill Country's oldest Lutheran church. Still is enclosed in original walls. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964 #10132

424 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10132 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Wunderlich Houses. When Adolph Wunderlich (d. 1935) married Martha Schumann (d. 1956) in 1883. He built the smaller of these two homes, combining log and stone construction. The family soon outgrew the first dwelling, and Adolph built the larger house of limestone blocks in 1892. On this farm, he raised cotton, corn, sugarcane for molasses and grapes for wine. The five Wunderlich children attended Live Oak School, 2.5 miles away, where classes were taught in German. The Wunderlich family owned this property until 1956. #10131

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10131 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Welgenhausen Ranch. German immigrants Friedrich Welgenhausen and his wife Juliane built a one-room log cabin here in the 1850s. After their son Conrad and his wife Margaretha (Walter) acquired the property in 1873, they enclosed the cabin within their two-story limestone house. Other early structures here include the barn, built originally as a rock and log house, and a two-story log cabin, which serves as a guest house. The Welgenhausen family owned the property until 1975. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #10130

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10130 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Weber "Das Keller Haus". This simple, one-room limestone outbuilding was constructed in 1903 by stonemason Emil Weber. He built the structure, which sat over a cellar, for storing vegetables, bacon, sausage, and wine. One of Weber's sons, Werner E. Weber (d. 1974), a woodcarver, used the building for his workshop. He designed altars and religious pieces for many area churches, and also carved a lectern on display in the National Cathedral at Washington, D. C. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #10129

110 N. Cherry St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10129 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Emil Weber House. Stonemason Emil Weber built this late Victorian residence in 1902 with the help of local craftsmen. Constructed of hand-hewn limestone and Texas yellow pine, and featuring 12-inch ceilings, it was designed as a wedding gift for his future bride Matilda Pauling Cehler. Notes in Weber's account book show that the house cost $1,338 to build. Members of the Weber family continued to reside here until 1961. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #10128

110 N. Cherry St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10128 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Walch Home. In 1845 Johan (John) Joseph Walch (1828-1914) migrated to Texas from Germany. In 1847 he settled in Fredericksburg, where he worked as a stonemason. Before Walch married Wilhelmine Gaertner in 1851, he erected a two-room limestone house on this lot. He also built a rock barn, which he later enlarged by adding a second story. One of the Walches' eleven children, Felix, remodeled the barn for use as a residence in 1904. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978 #10127

412 E. Austin St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10127 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

William Wahrmund House. Gillespie County Judge in 1852-62, 1864, and 1876-90, William Wahrmund (1824-90) hired local stonemasons H. Hennersdorf and Louis Schmidt to build this residence near his own home and store in 1875. Over a period of years, the house was occupied by three of Wahrmund's sons, William L., Otto, and Henry, and by several grandchildren. Victorian porch detailing decorates the native limestone structure, restored in 1976 by Hill Country Savings and Loan Association. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977 #10125

206 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10125 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Vogel Sunday House. In the 1880s German immigrant Christian Vogel (1824-1889) built the left half of this structure to house his family while in town for Saturday trading and Sunday church services. His son Amandus (1854-1898) and daughter-in-law Elizabeth (Weber) (1857-1944) added the right half and covered it with pressed tin at the turn of the century. It was used as a Sunday House by Elizabeth until her death and remained in the family until 1947. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #10124

418 West Austin, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10124 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Vereins Kirche. Church for all denominations, school and community hall. Built, summer 1847, after the Comanche peace treaty made by John O. Meusebach, Commissioner, German Emigration Company. Located in Main street between Courthouse and Market Square of early Fredericksburg. Razed after the celebration of fiftieth anniversary of the arrival of first settlers, 1896. Replica, first used as museum and library, constructed 1934-35. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #10123

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10123 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

John Peter Tatsch Home, 1856. Built by Tatsch (1822-1907), using local stone. A cabinet-maker and turner, did woodwork himself. At first floored only front rooms, using wide boards. North front room had the only fireplace. Rear gallery kitchen, fireplace and oven were added later. Tatsch, from Germany, during Civil War was a Minute Man. Wife was Maria Elizabeth (1828-1885). Children: Elizabeth, Sophie, Caroline, Wilhelmina, Richard. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #10121

210 N. Bowie St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10121 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Felix Van Der Stucken Home. The original one-story section of this residence was constructed by Felix Van Der Stucken (1833-1912) soon after he purchased the site in 1864. The two-story addition was completed later. A native of Belgium, Van Der Stucken operated a nearby steam-powered mill, later known as Reliance Roller Mills. Built of native limestone, his home features characteristics of the Victorian and Greek revival styles. It was purchased in 1940 by Alfred and Frieda Hennig. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10120

114 W. Austin St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10120 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Sunday Houses. Small townhouse built by German settlers who lived in distant rural areas. Used over weekends by families while they traded or attended church. A typical early Sunday House had one room with a lean-to kitchen and a half story above, which was reached by outside stairway or ladder. Built during 1890s-1920s, most Sunday Houses were frame but some were rock. Homes found use during school sessions, periods of religious instruction or serious illness. Some of the larger ones made comfortable retirement homes for elderly German farmers. #10119

315 West Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10119 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Edward and Minnie Stein House. Edward Stein (1890-1978), expert craftsman, prominent local banker, and architect of many important structures in Fredericksburg, designed and built this house in 1923 for himself and his wife, Minnie. an excellent example of a 1920s bungalow, it features elements of the craftsman design including wide overhanging eaves and brackets, intersecting gables, and finely articulated walls and porches. The house remained in the Stein family until 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994 #10118

101 E. Hackberry, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10118 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Texas Ranger General E. Kirby Smith, C.S.A.. (1824-1893) Born in Florida. Graduated from West Point. Fought in Mexican War. On the Texas frontier in the 1850s, commanded Camps Belknap, Cooper and Colorado. In 1860 and many years afterwards was a partner of J. M. Hunter of Fredericksburg in a Texas ranch. Resigned from U. S. Army, 1861, to serve Confederacy. Was appointed 1863, to command all the area west of the Mississippi. At that time Federals held the river, all of Missouri, much of Arkansas, Louisiana and Indian Territory, and were trying to take Texas and her supplies of food, cotton and horses. The Trans-Mississippi Dept. had many problems. The French under Maximilian were approaching from Mexico. Indians and bandits constantly raided frontiers. Freighters and blockade runners had to be employed for exporting cotton-- the only product the South had for trading to get guns, ammunition and goods. Texas was chief source of the cotton Gen. Smith used for financing his army. It was place of safety to which he sent his wife and children. It gave him ovations as he went to Mexico after the war ended. Young Texans studied, 1875-1893, in his mathematics classes at the University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn. #10116

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10116 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Schwarz Building. This limestone commercial building was constructed in 1907 by Charles Schwarz, a prominent early merchant of the area, and his wife Mary. Located on the site of the Louis Dietz home, it included ground floor space for Schwarz' General Merchandise and Dry Goods store and second floor living quarters for his family. The building later housed a variety of businesses and also provided meeting space for local youth groups and a veterans' organization. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10115

216 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10115 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Schneider-Klingelhoefer House. Built about 1870 for watchmaker and stonemason Ludwig Schneider, this home features German fachwerk construction. Owned by builder Louis Preiss from 1883 to 1890, it was acquired in 1924 by banker Arthur Klingehoefer, who lived here from 1925 until his death. Prominent features of the home, which remained in the Klingelhoefer family until 1976, include an unusual porch roof parapet, gable-end chimneys, and a decorative wood balustrade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #10114

714 Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10114 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Oliver and William Schneider Building. -- #10113

123-25 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10113 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Schmidt-Gold House. This home was built in the 1860s by german stonemason Lorenz Schmidt, a pioneer settler in the Adelsverein colony and builder of many early structures, including the Vereins Kirche. Originally a story-and-a-half, the house was enlarged to two floors in 1902 by Jacob Gold, Sr., a local business leader and founder of Rheingold community in eastern Gillespie County. The home's materials and design reflect influences of the early German settlers. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10112

106 S. Lincoln, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10112 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Schmidt-Dietz Building. Ludwig Schmidt constructed this two-story stone building in the 1860s for use as a hotel. In the early 1890s it was leased to Louis Dietz, who ran the business as the Central Hotel and later as the Dietz Hotel. His home east of the structure provided space for the hotel kitchen and dining room. Merchant Charles Schwarz bought the property in 1899 and opened a store here. the building has also housed a saloon, doctors' and lawyers' offices, and a drugstore. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10111

218 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10111 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Pioneer Schandua House. Built before 1880, this house was purchased by John Schandua, a local merchant, shortly after his marriage to Bertha (Klein) in 1883. The front room, called "die stube," served as a bedroom and living area. the back room was used as a bedroom for their children. gingerbread work accents the posts on the front porch. The residence was used for a short time as a Sunday School building for the Bethany Lutheran Church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979 #10110

111 E. Austin, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10110 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The Schandua Building. Erected in 1897 of hand-hewn limestone, this structure was the home of John (d. 1900) and Bertha (Klein) Schandua (d. 1943). They lived upstairs with their children and John's hardware store was downstairs. For a time, the Masonic Lodge met upstairs in exchange for some construction costs. After John died his brother Henry married Bertha. Enlarged the building, and continued the hardware business on the first floor. Hardware businesses were operated here until 1972. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979 #10109

205 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10109 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

St. Paul Lutheran Church. Oldest rural Lutheran church in Gillespie County. The Rev. M. Haag served as first pastor. Charter members numbered 17. A frame building with walls of rough boxing planks was dedicated June 22, 1884. Size: 25 x 30 feet with a 40-foot tower. Cost: $600. In 1890 building was enlarged, interior finished, beaded ceiling installed. Altar niche was added, interior finished with sheet rock and exterior covered with tin in 1928-29. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969 #10107

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10107 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

St. John's Lutheran Church. Pioneer families of Crabapple organized this church in the 1880s. Members met in a school building before erecting this sanctuary in 1897. Elder Julius Rusche supervised the design, carpentry, and native limestone masonry construction. An excellent example of vernacular architecture with slight Gothic influences, it features a massive stone foundation, double door entry, and 4/4 wood windows with stone lintels and sills. Services were discontinued in 1962. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994 #10106

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10106 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

St. Barnabas Episcopal Church. Originally one of earliest homes in Fredericksburg. built by German settler Peter Walter. Walter built log cabin on lot, then began permanent home of fachwerk construction, 1846. He owned and farmed surrounding land while plying his trade of wagoner to Fort McKavett. House was bought by parish formed in 1952. Restored as a mission, it was consecrated by Bishop Everett H. Jones on St. Barnabas Day, dec. 16, 1954. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962 #10105

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10105 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Diedrich Rode Complex. This group of buildings was constructed by german native Diedrich Rode (1828-1905). The three-story limestone residence was completed in 1880 and featured a third floor storage area for wool and cotton produced on the land. A Lutheran, Rode served as an early minister and held services in the Betkapelle, a prayer chapel on the east side of the second floor. In addition to his ranching, he also taught school. A landmark in the Cherry Spring community, the homesite was sold to Willie Kothe in 1929. It has remained in his family for over 50 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989 #10104

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10104 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Little Rock House. Constructed shortly after Civil War on townlot grant of German Emigration Co. Bought in 1868 by Heinrich Ochs, pioneer school teacher. Owned by family 61 years. Has been home and store with floor plan virtually unchanged since erection. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #10103

215B W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10103 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Riley-Enderlin House. This simply designed vernacular home was built in 1909 by Franz Stein for Emil H. and Bertha Riley. In 1912 the home was purchased by Charles Enderlin, Sr. (1846-1931) and remained in the Enderlin family for over seventy years. A German immigrant and Civil War veteran, Enderlin modified the home soon after he bought it to accommodate his large family. Features of the house include its side-gabled roof, shed roof front porch, and two front doors. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987 #10102

606 N. Adams, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10102 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

D. C. Riley House. Four generations have lived in this house built in early 1870s by Crabapple community pioneer David Crockett Riley (1840-1900). Stone for 24" outer walls and 18" partitions came from a hill a mile north; timbers were hand-hewn from farm trees; milled lumber hauled from Austin (90 mi. SE). With a purchased lock for model, rest of door locks were made in farm shop. Workmen were paid 50 cents and a pint of Crockett Riley's whiskey (home-distilled) for a day's work. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972 #10101

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10101 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Ressmann-Boos House. An evolution of pioneer building methods is evident in thishome. The earliest part, built about 1845, is of fachwerk construction typical in early German houses. Later additions were of log and clapboard frame construction. Early area settlers Christian and Katharina Ressmann purchased the home in 1866 and in 1946 members of their family sold it to Hilmar and Christine Boos. The house remained in the Boos family until the 1970s. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #10100

511 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10100 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The William Rausch House. Gillespie County native William Rausch (1884-1939) and his wife, Olga (d. 1943), bought this property in 1894. They lived in an existing house until 1906, when they built this home. A stonemason and carpenter by trade, Rausch probably did much of the construction himself. The German vernacular limestone structure features a central gable with jig-cut decorative trim. the home remained in the Rausch family until 1943. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985 #10099

107 S. Lincoln, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10099 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Rausch Ranch Home. In 1856 Nicolaus Gerhard (1810-1894), a German immigrant, bought this land, where he lived with his son Michael in a log cabin. In 1866 Nicolaus had local German stonemasons build this house, using rocks found in a nearby pasture. Michael Gerhard sold the home in 1904 to skilled stonemason Robert Rausch and his wife Bertha. The house served as headquarters for the Rausch family ranch until 1976, when the property was sold. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 Incise on base: Purchased and restored by Ronald and Karen Herrmann #10098

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10098 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Pinta Trail. Origin of the Pinta Trail is attributed to nomadic Plains Indian tribes. Early Spanish and Mexican expeditions followed the general route of the trail, which extended from San Antonio de Bexar to the San saba River near present Menard. A survey by German immigrants in 1845 provided a wagon road over part of the trail, and, after the discovery of gold in California in 1849, the trail was utilized by U.S. Military companies seeking to open new routes to the western states. Use of the trail declined with the advent of railroads in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986 #10096

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10096 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Pedernales Rural School. The Pedernales community, established here by German immigrant farmers in the 1840s, was joined with the Live Oak community to form a school district in 1854. Sometime prior to 1875 a native stone schoolhouse was built at this site. State funds and tuition supported the 1-teacher, 7-grade school. Picnics on "schulpruefung" (final exam day), plays, Christmas programs, and music practices became traditional activities at the school. Falling student enrollment during World War II led to the school's closing in 1945. The school building was converted to residential use in the 1980s. #10095

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10095 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The Patton Home. Pioneer Fredericksburg business leader Albert Lee Patton (1851-1934) and his wife Emma (Wahrmund) (d. 1927) built the original four-room section of this limestone home shortly after they purchased the property in 1876. Alterations to the structure, completed in the late 1880s, included the addition of the three-window front bay. Later inherited by a daughter, Emma (Patton) Detjen, the residence remained in the Patton family until 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10094

107 N. Orange St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10094 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Albert Lee Patton Building. Missouri native Albert Lee Patton (1851-1934), trained as a tinsmith, moved to Fredericksburg in the early 1870s. In 1897 he constructed this two-story native limestone building adjacent to the east side of his general mercantile and hardware store. The ground floor housed the Citizens Bank until it closed in 1932 and the second floor area was used as a residence by Patton, his wife Emma (Wahrmund), and their five children. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10093

232 W. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10093 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Pape Log Cabin. One of the oldest structures in Fredericksburg, built by communal effort for the family of Friedrich Pape (1813-94). Pape, his wife Katherine, and a daughter arrived in galveston in Nov. 1845 from Germany. three Pape children died on the trip. The family was among the first forty to settle in fredericksburg, and soon after arriving in May 1846, this cabin was erected to shelter the ailing Mrs. Pape. the post oak logs were cut nearby, and the first roof was probably thatched grass. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974 #10092

213 W. Creek, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10092 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Birthplace of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN. Typical early Fredericksburg home built 1866 by Carl Basse. Property of the Henke family since 1873. Heinrich Henke, early settler, Confederate freighter had butcher counter on front porch; meat processing was done in back yard; there the horses that pulled meat vending cart were stabled. Shop later built on foundation of stone walls surrounding lot. He and his wife Dorothea (nee Weirich) added the long dining room and kitchen with sloped roof to accommodate their twelve children. Many of their furnishings are preserved by Udo Henke, a descendant. In small room to rear of front bedroom, on Feb. 24, 1885, their daughter, Anna Henke Nimitz, gave birth to Chester William Nimitz, destined to command the greatest naval armada in history. A 1905 honor graduate of the U. S. Naval Academy, Nimitz was chief of staff to commander, Atlantic Submarine Fleet, W.W.I. Installed first naval ROTC unit in U. S. Navy, 1926; selected commander in chief Pacific Fleet after attack on Pearl Harbor; appointed fleet admiral, U. S. Navy, 1944. As representative of the U. S. he signed Japanese surrender documents of his flagship, USS Missouri, Sept. 2, 1945 in Tokoyo Bay. Admiral Nimitz died in San Francisco on Feb. 20, 1966. #10090

247 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10090 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Nimitz Hotel. This property was purchased by Charles Henry Nimitz, Sr., in 1855. By 1860 the Nimitz Hotel was established, hosting frontier travelers and providing a home for the large Nimitz family. Expanded in the 1870s to feature a steamboat shaped facade, the hotel was a center for community activities. It was sold by the family in 1926 and underwent major alterations. In 1964 it became a museum honoring Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz and those who served with him in World War II. The steamboat facade was later rebuilt and remains a local landmark. #10089

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10089 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Mosel-Jordan-Duecker Haus. Johann Nicholas Mosel (1839-1904) was granted a 100' x 200' lot in Fredericksburg by the German Emigration Company in 1847. Here he built a rough limestone structure (now the northeast rooms), which might have served later as a Sunday house when he moved to an outlying farm (4 mi. W). German immigrant August William Jordan (d. 1898) bought the house in 1860. His sons sold it as a Sunday house to Henry Duecker (d. 1950), who added the frame additions in 1924. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986 #10087

121 E. San Antonio St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10087 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Morris Ranch Schoolhouse. Built in 1893, this schoolhouse was one of several structures located on the Morris Ranch, a noted center for the breeding and training of thoroughbred horses. Several local churches also used the native limestone building for worship services. The central section housed an assembly hall and each wing contained a classroom. The public school continued in operation until 1962, when it merged with the Fredericksburg district (13 mi. NE). Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10086

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10086 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Moritz-Hitzfeld-Jacoby House. Built for newlyweds Edmund (1884-1958) and Anna (1881-1968) Moritz in 1907, this house has been occupied by the descendants of three of Fredericksburg's earliest families. Edmund and his father, Joseph, used limestone from their family-owned quarry nearby to build the house with the help of Anna's father, carpenter John Metzger, Sr. The house exhibits late Victorian-era styling with features of Germanic construction, which includes the use of native stone. The house was purchased by Levi and Caroline Hitzfeld in 1914 and in 1941 by Felix and Emma Jacoby. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994 #10085

608 N. Milam, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10085 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Mueller-Petmecky House. The original portion of this house probably was built between 1848 and 1850 by Willis Wallace, who was granted the land by the German Immigration Company. Of fachwerk construction, the two-room home later was acquired by German farmer Heinrich Mueller, Jr. Mueller's daughter Augusta and son-in-law A. W. Petmecky, who served as justice of the peace for 42 years, built the limestone addition after the birth of their second child in 1895. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #10083

201 S. Washington, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10083 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The Meinhardt-Pfeil Home. The original section of this two-story limestone residence was constructed about 1850 by pioneer area settlers Albert and Doris Meinhardt. A widow in 1879, Doris sold the property to her former son-in-law G. Adolph Pfeil (d. 1926), a local cotton gin owner. He converted part of the living area for use as a blacksmith shop and later opened a soda water factory here. The house remained in the Pfeil family until 1939. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10082

125 W. San Antonio, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10082 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Meckel-Hanus Building. Saddle and harness merchant Henry Meckel (1855-1909) acquired this property in 1886 and soon made improvements to a one-story, ca. 1860 stone house already on the lot. A second level of concrete blocks and a double gallery of milled wood were added to the central-hall structure. Dr. J. J. Hanus (1898-1966) bought the building for a hospital in 1927 and altered the facade to its present appearance by 1929. The building served as a Catholic convent from 1949 through 1979. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986 Incise on base: Restored 1985 by Joe, Pat, and Eric Vance. #10081

307 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10081 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The Marschall-Meusebach Cemetery. Members of the families of two former German noblemen, related by marriage, are buried in this cemetery. John O. Meusebach (1812-97), who came to the Republic of Texas in 1845 as leader of the German Emigration Company, established (1846) the town of fredericksburg and signed (1847) an historic peace treaty with the Comanche Indians. Wilhelm Marschall Von Bierberstein (1822-1902) settled in this community in 1848. First burial here was that of Marschall's sister-in-law, Mathilda Weiss (1824-91). #10080

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10080 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Market Square (Mark Platz). This Square, originally a two-block area which included what is now called the Courthouse Square, has been at the center of Fredericksburg since the city's founding in 1846. The area was still heavily forested when the town's Vereins Kirche was built in the center of Main street in 1847. The octagonal building served as a community church, meeting place, school, and refuge from possible Indian attacks. A county jail was built on the Square in 1852. In 1856 a public schoolhouse was constructed and the school classes moved out of the Vereins Kirche. In 1911 the schoolhouse was converted to serve as headquarters for the volunteer fire department. The Vereins Kirche, demolished in 1897, was reconstructed in 1934-35 as a pioneer memorial, serving as the county's first museum (1936) and library (1939). As part of its centennial celebration, the State of texas erected a monument on Market Square in honor of Baron Ottfried Hans Freiherr Von Meusebach, whose colonization efforts led to the founding of Fredericksburg. In 1987 the city purchased the property from the school district. The Market Square has served as a gathering place for special community activities and has remained a focal point of the city. #10079

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10079 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Maier-Alberthal Building. Constructed about 1860, this building was acquired by German native Anton Maier (b. 1813) in 1866. A merchant who held several Gillespie County offices, Maier deeded the property to his son-in-law, August Alberthal. In 1900, the German vernacular stone commercial building has served as a grocery and general mercantile store, a soda water factory, an auto repair shop, and at one time was the site of worship services for a mission congregation. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #10078

324 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10078 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Loeffler-Weber House. Log room and loft were built by German emigrant Gerhard Rorig as his home in first winter of Fredericksburg's existence, 1846-47. Noted cabinetmaker Johann Martin Loeffler added typical rock and half-timber rooms and cooking fireplace, 1867; his son-in-law, J. Charles Weber, in 1905 restored the southeast lean-to. For Loeffler-Weber family, this was home or Sunday House for 90 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 Incise near base: Restored 1964 by Mr. and Mrs. george A. Hill, III Consultant: Albert Keidel, Architectural Designer #10072

508 W. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10072 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Lehne-Itz House. Henry Lehne (1858-1931) followed the form of traditional German farmhouses in building this limestone structure in 1882. He farmed and ranched an adjoining 30 acres. As a teamster he hauled produce to San Antonio and returned with products such as beer and flour for local merchants. He outlived two wives (Anna Barth and Marie Spaeth) and remained here to rear his nine children. His daughter Sophie and her husband Ernest Itz built a frame addition on the rear of the house in 1933. The house, which remained in the Lehne family for 109 years, was sold by Sophie's heirs in 1991. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993 #10069

402 Whitney St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10069 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Kloth-Ludwig Home. This limestone building was constructed about 1870 when the property was owned by John Adams Alberthal. It was designed with a commercial area on the front and a two-story residential section in the back. Christian Kloth purchased the home in 1878, and following his death in 1904, it was inherited by his daughters Anna Marie (Kloth) Ludwig (d. 1930) and Caroline Kloth (d. 1940). Used for various shops, it remained in the Ludwig family until 1966. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10067

414 E. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10067 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Johann Joseph Knopp House. Built of native stone in 1871, soon after Knopp and his wife Katherina (Stein) came to America. From Germany they traveled six weeks by clipper ship to Indianola and by oxcart to Fredericksburg. They bought this homesite for $70 in gold. Knopp was a stonemason; family farm, a mile from this home, was worked by the wife and children. (Of the 15 children born to the Knopps, nine reached adulthood.) House, restored in 1939, was extensively remodeled in 1968. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 #10066

309 W. Schubert, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10066 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Kiehne-Hermann Home. German-born Frederick Kiehne (1811-98), a blacksmith and Gillespie County commissioner, built this structure in 1850. It was the first two-story home in Fredericksburg, although many older residences had sleeping lofts. the hand-cut limestone, adobe bricks, and native timbers were materials often used by pioneer builders. The house was enlarged about the 1860s and again in the 1930s, when Walter Foerster was owner. It was restored in 1973-74 by Maria and ronald Herrmann. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976 #10065

405 E. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10065 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Old Kammlah House. Four front rooms with outside stair to attic, built 1849 by German settler Henry Kammlah I. Smokehouse and rooms at rear added 1875. Old world technique of wall plaster over woven twig supports used in interior. Henry Kammlah II and wife Amalia, opened a general store in front room in 1870. This was continued by Henry III until 1924. House purchased 1956 and restored as museum by Gillespie County Historical Society. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966 #10064

309 - 315 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10064 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Liveoak Creek Log Cabin. This dogtrot cabin was probably built before 1852, when surveyor J. L. Ankrin sold this property to John Peter Keller, one of the first Gillespie County commissioners. It was later owned by Keller's son-in-law, Francis Kettner, Gillespie and Mason County public official. Anton and Anna Loth bought the land in 1886 and in 1901 erected a 2-story native stone house nearby. The cabin was then used as a barn and corn crib. It was restored in 1973 by Mr. and Mrs. I. D. Lewis. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976 #10061

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10061 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The Christian Kraus Homestead. This house was begun in 1859 by Christian Kraus when he and his wife, Anna Maria, settle din the Klein Frankreich (Little France) community. Kraus farmed and taught school here. The Krauses reared their 7 children and the 7 children of Peter Burg, who was killed by the Haengebrande during the Civil War. Kraus, who was instrumental in building St. Mary's Catholic Church (Fredericksburg), added a wing and second story to his stone vernacular home in 1879. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984 #10060

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10060 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

H. C. Keese Home. German native Henry C. Keese (b. 1834) built this farmhouse soon after he purchased the land in the 1870s. Constructed of wood and hand-hewn native rock, it included a large downstairs living area, a kitchen, and second floor bedrooms. Keese and his wife Caroline survived the hardships of frontier life, including attacks by hostile Indians, and members of their family owned the homesite for almost a century. Traces of the early farm are still evident. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10058

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10058 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Homestead of Karl Itz. Karl Itz (ca. 1838-1908), a native of Westerburg, Germany, arrived in Texas in 1852 and settled in Gillespie County. He married Henrietta Evers (1839-1923) in 1856. At the outbreak of the Civil War Itz joined a group of German immigrants in support of the Union. Marching toward Mexico in August 1862, the men encountered Confederate forces at the Battle of the Nueces. Though many of the Germans were killed, Itz was not injured and lived in hiding until the war ended. He moved his family to this site and built a stone home in 1875. A log house was later added. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1987 #10057

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10057 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Holy Ghost (Heilige Geist) Evangelical Protestant Church. This congregation traces its origins to the first Protestant services held in Fredericksburg by the Rev. Henry Basse in 1846. Members worshiped at the old Vereins Kirche until 1888 when Carl Priess gave this lot for a new building. The first portion of the structure was dedicated in 1893. The tower houses an original bell from the Vereins Kirche. In 1948-49 the building was remodeled and enlarged, and the congregation became Holy Ghost Lutheran Church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10056

113 San Antonio St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10056 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Hoerster Building. Built at the turn of the century for J. A. Hoerster, this structure has housed a number of businesses over the years and was later owned by the Wieser family for over 52 years. The limestone Victorian commercial building exhibits its original storefront with narrow first-story columns and second-floor balcony with balustrade and bracketed columns. Occupants of the building have included retail stores, a barber shop, dentist, and city offices. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #10055

242-244 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10055 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Hill Crest Cemetery. This graveyard is closely associated with the Morris Ranch, an early international race horse breeding and training facility in Gillespie county. Charles Morris, whose Uncle Francis owned the ranch, served as its first general manager and was assisted by his brothers and sisters. Their father, william, died in 1894, and his grave bears the earliest legible tombstone here, although there may be earlier unmarked burial sites. The cemetery contains the graves of many Morris family descendants and other settlers of the Morris Ranch community. #10054

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10054 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The August Hennersdorf House. August and Johanne Hennersdorf migrated to Fredericksburg from Prussia in 1855. In the early 1900s they constructed this frame and limestone residence for their family. Evidence indicates the floor joists under the frame portion of the home may be the octagonal wooden columns from Fredericksburg's original vereins Kirche, which had been dismantled in 1896. Members of the Hennersdorf family owned the property for ninety years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #10053

205 W. Austin, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10053 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The Carl Henke Home. Believed to be the first boy born among the German immigrants who settled Fredericksburg, Carl Henke (1848-1928) became a skilled stonemason. He built the original portion of this structure in 1874 for John Schmitt. the two-room native limestone house has a loft reached by an outside stairway. In the 1880s, Henke purchased the residence for his own use. A wing was added to the west side in 1911. The Henke family occupied this house until 1972. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978 #10052

116 E. Travis, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10052 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Gun Cap Factory. In the Civil War, at this site, E. Krauskoff, gunsmith, and Adolph Lungkwitz, silversmith, made gun caps. Inventing machinery, they rolled copper thin and cut it to cap-size pieces. Saltpetre and quicksilver went into the caps, to detonate rifle and pistol ammunition. Saltpetre came from nearby bat caves. Quicksilver and copper had to be brought through neutral Mexico or the coastal blockade. Rifles, cannon, gunpowder and pistols were made at Austin, Houston, Bastrop, Waxahachie, san Antonio, corpus Christi, Burnet, Lancaster, Rusk and Tyler. #10050

306 W. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10050 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Guenther's Live Oak Mill. By 1848, Carl Hilmar Guenther (1826-1902), master millwright, had completed his apprenticeship in Germany and immigrated to the U.S. In search of opportunities and a good grist mill site, he journeyed south from Wisconsin to New Orleans, and then west to Texas. In 1851 he bought land and water rights on Live Oak Creek near Fredericksburg. After six months of construction, his mill was operational, but a flood destroyed the first dam. One month after the floor the mill was working again. Ox drawn wagons loaded with harvested crops converged on the mill in the mornings, and after the farmers' business was completed the men remained to visit with each other. The mill became a center of social life in the Hill Country community Guenther was granted U.S. Citizenship in gillespie County in 1854. He married Dorothea Pape in 1855. They lived in a home near the mill and were eventually the parents of seven children. In 1859 Guenther chose a site about one mile from the center of San antonio as a new site for his mill operation. Guenther mills soon became the Pioneer Flour Mills, an enterprise which became a flourishing business in Texas and the Southwest. #10049

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10049 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The Grapetown School. In 1882, Frederick Baag donated this tract of land for the third Grapetown schoolhouse. Completed in 1884, the structure was built with labor and materials donated by the community. All seven grades were taught by one teacher. In 1905, the facility became a county school known as Grapetown Line School, District No. 14. In 1949, the schoolhouse was closed as the district was consolidated with surrounding community schools. A total of 28 teachers taught here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984 #10048

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10048 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Gold-Grobe House. Built in 1902 by Peter Gold, Sr., this house was originally a one-story center passage plan structure constructed of native limestone. Friedrich William Grobe bought the house in 1914. In 1916 he added a second floor and rear wing using concrete blocks manufactured by the local Basse Brothers Cement Yard. A descendant of Fredericksburg pioneers, Grobe was a blacksmith, surveyor, and farmer, and served as postmaster of the nearby town of Rheingold. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989 #10047

413 N. Llano, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10047 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Adolph Gold House. Local banker Adolph Gold (1869-1931), one of the developers of Fredericksburg's first subdivision in 1900, had this house built for his family in the subdivision in 1901. The house remained in the Gold family until 1988. Built in a center passage form with native limestone and basse blocks, the house features a five-bay front with elaborate jigsawn detailing on the porch, paired brackets, a gable roof, and a centered pediment on the front facade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990 #10046

212 E. Travis, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10046 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Gillespie County. The trails of roving Indians crossed these hills settled by German pioneers in 1846. A group of Mormons settled at Zodiac in 1847. Created February 23, 1848; organized June 5, 1848. Named for Richard Addison Gillespie, a Texan from 1837, a defender of the Texas frontier, and captain in the Mexican War who fell at Monterrey, September 22, 1846. Fredericksburg, the county seat. #10044

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10044 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein. The Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein was established in 1871 in the tradition of German gymnastic clubs. Initially located at a site nearby, the club opened with a gymnastics school and a 9-pin bowling alley. In 1872 the club held the first of its annual Christmas celebrations and in 1883 sponsored a fire brigade which became the City Volunteer Fire Department. The Turn Verein moved to this location in 1909. Children's gymnastics, Christmas celebrations, and bowling continue at Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein, one of the city's oldest continuing organizations. #10043

103 W. Travis, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10043 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Fredericksburg Lodge No. 794, A.F. & A.M.. traces its history to 1897 when a warrant of dispensation was granted by the Grand Lodge of Texas Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The first worshipful master, D. C. Darroch, was installed by Neal Caldwell, deputy district grand master of the 47th Masonic District. Members joined from willow Creek, Kerrville, and Johnson City, and first met in the Schandua Building. In 1910 the Otto Kolmeier building located on East Main Street was acquired as the second home for the Lodge, and was shared with the Eastern Star organization. The Lodge moved to the Beckmann Building on West Main Street in 1925. Lodge meetings were held on the first floor, and the second floor housed Eastern Star meetings. The cornerstone for a new Lodge building was laid in 1963 at South Adams and Hale streets. Lodge members maintain a strong tradition of supporting education. An award named for Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar has been given annually, in addition to a scholarship. Many charitable causes have received assistance from the Masons, who continue to serve the community as they have for more than a century. (1997) #10042

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10042 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Fredericksburg College Building. Early hall of higher learning, erected by the German Methodist Mission Conference of texas and Louisiana (organized 1874 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South). Fredericksburg College at its peak had 250 students-- some from far away as Galveston. Many local boys walked 10 miles daily to obtain education here. The college operated only from 1876 to 1884. The hand-cut stone building has been used since by the public school district. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 #10040

108 W. Travis St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10040 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

First Methodist Church of Fredericksburg. Oldest Methodist church in the Hill Country, founded 1849 as a German mission by the Rev. Eduard Schneider. The charter members: Melchior and Rosine Bauer, Johann and Margaretha Durst, Friedrich and Sophie Ellebracht, Ernst and Dorothea Houy, Ferdinand and Maria Kneese, Ludwig Kneese, Heinrich and Catharine Steihl, Jacob and Catharine Treibs, Fritz and Fredericka (Mary) Winkel. In 1855, during pastorate of the Rev. C. A. Grote, a 40 x 60-foot native stone church was built. It still serves after 1912-14, 1923, and 1948-49 remodelings. #10038

312 W. San Antonio St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10038 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Enchanted Rock. From its summit, in the fall of 1841, Captain John C. Hays, while surrounded by comanche Indians who cut him off from his ranging company, repulsed the whole band and inflicted upon them such heavy losses that they fled. #10035

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10035 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Ellebracht-Moritz Homestead. Frederick Ellebracht (1809-1882) and his family came to Texas from Germany in 1845. Joining other immigrants from their homeland in Central Texas, they built this home in the early 1850s. The house consisted of one large log room with a loft. The home remained in the Ellebracht family until 1891 when it was purchased by Joseph Moritz (1860-1942), a stonemason who built two rough limestone additions onto the house before 1907. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987 #10034

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10034 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The Easter Fires. Blazing on the hills around Fredericksburg each Easter Eve, combined with a local pageant, these fires recall an old tale. In March 1847, when Comanches and whites signed a major peace treaty, the Indians lighted huge signal fires on these hills. To calm her children's fears, one mother-- recalling Easter fires in her native Germany-- told them the smoke came from pots in which the Easter Bunny was dying eggs with flowers. As the tale spread and pioneers kindled the fires in each year of peace with the Indians, the local yearly celebration arose. #10033

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10033 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Durst House. Carl Durst (1851-1923) moved to this community in 1873 and built a one-room cabin. After marrying Emma Ruegner about 1877, he made a small addition. The Dursts donated land for the nearby Cherry Mountain School, and teachers often lived in the 1896 stone addition to this house. From 1912 to 1926, Herman Durst, Carl's cousin, owned the property. The Durst house is an evolutionary structure reflecting the changing needs of its occupants. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991 #10032

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10032 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Duecker Family Homestead. August Duecker, Sr. (1828-1894) came to Texas from his native Germany in 1852. He married Louise Feuge in 1854, and in 1878 they purchased a large farm in this area. Their son, August, Jr., and his wife Lina bought part of the homestead in 1886, and in 1888 built this house with native stone quarried from family land. Although enlarged over the years to accommodate the family, the two-story limestone house is a fine example of a rural German Texan homestead. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993 #10031

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10031 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Domino Parlor. The original part of this stone structure, containing a cellar with a vaulted ceiling, was built in the early 1850s on property owned by John Schmidtzinsky, a pioneer area settler. Once used as a pharmacy, it housed H. R. Richter's jewelry store in the early 1900s. Richter also sold musical instruments, and the front room was used for concerts. His family lived in the rear section of the building. In recent years a cafe and a domino parlor have been located here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10029

222 E. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10029 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Dangers Stone House. Built in 1851 by the Rev. Gottlieb Burchard Dangers (1811-69), soon after his purchase of this town lot from Friedrich Pape. Dangers, who had emigrated from Germany in 1849, was the second Protestant minister in Fredericksburg. The two rooms in the rear and the cellar were added by Dangers about 1857. The house was constructed in the pioneer German style, with some walls of fachwerk (half-timbered) construction. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974 #10027

213 W Creek St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10027 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Dambach-Besier Home. This rock house was probably built by F. Dambach, who bought the lot in 1867 for $70 and sold it two years later for $450. This was a full-time residence rather than a weekend "Sunday House." The porch was added during the ownership of Anna Besier, who acquired the property in 1881. The widow of George Besier, Anna moved into town so her four children would be close to school. She kept cows in a pasture across the street and sold milk, butter, and cheese. The Besier family owned the property until 1966. #10026

515 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10026 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Cross Mountain. This marl and limestone hill, elevation 1,915 feet, was an Indian signal point, advancing news of the intrusions of white settlers. The hill was first recorded and described by the German geologist, Dr. Ferdinand Roemer in 1847. A timber cross found on the hilltop the same year suggests that Spanish missionaries recognized it as a landmark on the path from San Antonio to Mission San Saba. John Christian Durst (1825-1898), arriving with his family in 1847 from Germany, received a town lot and 10 acres of land, including this hill. On finding the cross, he named it "Kreuzberg," or Cross Mountain. The Easter fires on Cross Mountain and the surrounding hills recall a German tradition of burning the old growth to make way for the new, and also commemorate the 1847 treaty made by John O. Meusebach and the settlers to establish peace with the Comanche nation. In 1849, a Bohemian priest, Father George Menzel, erected a more substantial cross as a symbol of redemption and civilization. Easter Sunrise Services were held on the mountain for many years prior to 1941. In 1946 the Very Rev. F. X. Wolf threw the switch to illuminate the permanent cross of metal and concrete built by St. Mary's Catholic Church. #10025

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10025 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Hugo and Anna Gold Crenwelge House. Jacob Gold, Jr. (d. 1914) gave this property to his daughter, Anna (1878-1957), and her husband Hugo Crenwelge (1877-1948) in 1902. Three years later the Crenwelges built this home. Constructed of hand-cut limestone quarried near the site, the house features large ashlar blocks and lintels, a two-level gallery, and jig-sawn wood trim. An outstanding example of a rural German-Texan farmstead, the house remained in the Crenwelge family until 1965. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990 #10024

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10024 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Christian Crenwelge Place. A native of Germany, Christian Crenwelge migrated to this area in 1854 and worked as a farmer and cabinetmaker. At a sheriff's land sale in 1872 he bought this property located across the street from his home. for a short time he operated a molasses press here. The Victorian style Sunday house was constructed about 1903. Crenwelge sold this residence and his homestead after the death of his wife in 1906. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979 #10023

312 West Schubert, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10023 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Crabapple School. German immigrants who came to Fredericksburg in the late 1840s and who later settled in this area erected a native limestone school which opened in 1878 with about 40 students. The land was donated by farmer Mathias Schmidt who according to local tradition earned the privilege by winning a foot race. Facilities added over the years include a teacherage and space for a post office, Lutheran church, and community band. Crabapple School merged with Fredericksburg's Independent School district in 1957 after which the community adapted the building for a variety of uses. #10022

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10022 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

County Jail of 1885. This two-story stone structure served as the fourth jail for Gillespie County, organized in 1848. It was constructed by the firm of c. F. Priess and Bro. in 1885. The ground floor housed a holding area and living quarters for the jailer. the second floor had two steelclad cells located against the east wall and maximum security cells in the center and at the back. The building was used as a county jail facility until 1939. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10021

117 San Antonio St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States
#10021 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Unphotographed plaques in Fredericksburg, TX as XML JSON KML GMAP