United States / Galveston, TX

all or unphotographed
Miller-Jacobs Home. Carpenter Henry Deubner built this house in 1866 and sold it to a local freight hauler, Ferdinand Miller. With its double gallery and side hall plan, the dwelling is typical of many in Galveston. Unusual pierced eaves improve the ventilation. Barbra Lenz (Mrs. C.) Jacobs (1831-1908) purchased the house in 1884. A widow with six children, she was a prominent midwife. Three generations of the Jacobs family occupied the structure for 84 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977 #7532

1323 Church St, Galveston, TX, United States

Reedy Chapel A. M. E. Church. This structure, erected during the pastorate of the Rev. J. E. Edwards, replaced the first Reedy Chapel Church on this site, destroyed by the 1885 Galveston fire. Contractor E. F. Campbell began construction in 1886. Four storms hit the island that year, delaying completion of the project until 1887. Severely damaged by the hurricane of 1900, the building was restored to its original Gothic style. The church was repaired and enlarged again in 1947 and 1957. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1975 #7548

2013 Broadway, Galveston, TX, United States

Thomas Henry Borden. Site of the home of Thomas Henry Borden one of the "Old Three Hundred" of Austin's colonies. Surveyed the town of Galveston. Editor and one of the founders in 1835 of the "Telegraph and Texas Register. Born in Norwich, New York, January 28, 1804;died in Galveston, Texas March 17, 1877. #226

?, Galveston, TX, United States

David Ayers. #9

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Former Site of Heidenheimer's Castle. In 1857 John S. Sydnor (1812-1869), former Galveston mayor, built the original two-story, eight-room structure at this site. Samson Heidenheimer (1834-1891) bought it in 1884. The German-born Heidenheimer began with a $100 loan and built a fortune as a Confederate blockade runner. He was associated with Sydnor and his son Seabrook in an auction business. Heidenheimer enlarged the house to four stories and 37 room and added castle-like tower and turrets. It changed owners many times after his death; burned in 1973, and was razed in 1975. #7484

1602 Sealy, Galveston, TX, United States

James Love. (1795-1874) A veteran of the War of 1812, James Love, a lawyer, came to Texas in 1837 with his wife Lucy (Ballinger). He helped found Galveston, and was a political ally of Mirabeau b. Lamar. Love served as a delegate to the 1845 Annexation Convention, judge of the district court, and clerk of the United States District Court. During the Civil War (1861-1865) he enlisted in Terry's Texas Rangers. Afterward he served as the first judge of the Harris and Galveston County Criminal Court. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986 #7519

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Old Ball Home. -- #60

1405 24th Street, Galveston, TX, United States

John Berlocher Building. -- #106

2313 Mechanic, Galveston, TX, United States

Gail Borden, Jr.. Site of the home 1837-1851, of Gail Borden, Jr. pioneer surveyor, newspaper editor and inventor of a process for condensing milk, which he discovered while living here in 1840. Born November 9, 1801. Died September 2, 1874. #182

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Subjects
Campbell Home. - - #266

1515 Broadway, Galveston, TX, United States

Site Of Landmark Campbell's Bayou. Settled 1821 by privateer James Campbell (1791-1856), U. S. Navy veteran, War of 1812, who after discharge was lieutenant and close friend of buccaneer Jean Lafitte, operating out of Galveston (then called Campeche). In Karankawa Indian rituals about 1817, Mary Sabinal (1795-1884) became Campbell's bride. When Lafitte left Texas in 1821, Campbell pleased his wife by settling here as a rancher. Community remained until its second destruction by hurricane, 1915. Graves of the Campbells and many other early Texans are in cemetery at Campbell's Bayou. #267

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Wilbur Cherry. Served in the Texas army, 1836. Purchased the "Galveston News" 1843. Born in New Haven, N. Y. January 4, 1820; died June 19, 1873. His wife Catherine Crosby French Cherry born in Sligo, Ireland, February 22, 1826; died February 15, 1909. #269

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Thomas Chubb House. This two-story Greek revival residence was constructed in the 1850s. During the Civil War it was the home of Commodore Thomas Chubb (1811-1890), a veteran of the Texas Revolution. Captured by Union naval forces on Galveston Bay, he returned to the city following the war and served as the port's harbor master. Later owners of the house include wholesaler John C. Wallis and Galveston district attorney and political leader Walter Gresham. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #326

1417 Sealy, Galveston, TX, United States

John Bankhead Magruder. (August 15, 1810 - February 19, 1871) Virginia native John Bankhead Magruder graduated from the U. S. Military Academy at West Point in 1830. For meritorious service in the Mexican War (1846-48) Magruder was promoted to lieutenant colonel. He later resigned from the U. S. Army to join the Confederacy in 1861. As commander of the Texas District he overcame a Federal blockade and regained control of Galveston and the Texas Gulf Coast. After the Civil War he fled to Mexico and served in Maximillian's army. #7525

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Subjects
Powhatan House. Early Galveston hotel; built 1847 by John Seabrook Sydnor, Galveston mayor 1846-1847. Greek revival architecture; Doric columns from Maine. Has served as orphanage, military academy, residence, and set for a motion picture. Now Galveston Garden Center. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #7546

3427 Avenue O, Galveston, TX, United States

The Moody Home. Family residence, W. L. Moody, Jr. built about 1894, and for many years home of Mr. Moody, prominent financier and philanthropist who established the Moody Foundation. Late Victorian architecture said to have been first Texas residence built on steel frame. Has magnificent stained glass windows, ornate ceilings, rare handcarved woodwork. A large handsome home, famed for its hospitality. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #7534

2618 Broadway, Galveston, TX, United States

The Stewart Building. Julius Kauffman (1856-1935) and Julius Runge (1851-1906), second generation owners of a commission firm established in 1842, had architect Eugene T. Heiner design this renaissance revival building in the north Italian mode. Contractor Robert Palisser completed the structure in 1882. Then known as the world's foremost cotton exporters and the initiators of coffee imports from Brazil, Kauffman-Runge also brought significant numbers of settlers to Texas. They housed commodities on the building's ground floor, and had offices above. Many highly-respected Galveston firms had business quarters here. In 1905 the property was bought by Maco Stewart (1871-1938), who redesigned the interior to create a gallery effect with an arched skylight on the top floor. A foresighted, dynamic lawyer, Maco Stewart in 1908 founded Stewart Title Guaranty Company, now (1978) the largest title firm in Texas. Throughout expansion across the United States, it continuously had offices in this structure of its origin. Stewart Title Company has restored the building, replacing the ornate cornice which had been missing since the famous 1900 Galveston storm. #11568

222 Kempner, Galveston, TX, United States

Catherine Isabel Cox Sherman. Wife of General Sidney Sherman; born April 27, 1815. Died January 20, 1865. #7182

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Lent Munson Hitchcock. (October 15, 1816 - February 27, 1869) A sea captain's son who became a sailor at the age of 14, Lent Munson Hitchcock left his native Connecticut and joined the Texas Navy about 1836. Seafaring duties brought him to Galveston in 1837 where he later served as harbor master, city alderman, treasurer, and Confederate army volunteer. An active Mason and Episcopalian, Hitchcock played a prominent role in the city's early development. The town of Hitchcock (18 mi. NW) was named for him in 1891. #7493

?, Galveston, TX, United States

George Campbell Childress. (January 8, 1804 - October 6, 1841) Born into a prominent Nashville, Tennessee, family, George Campbell Childress attended Davidson Academy (later the University of Nashville). He was admitted to the bar in 1828, the same year he married Margaret Vance. She died in 1835, soon after the birth of a son. Childress first visited Texas in 1834, at the urging of his uncle, empresario Sterling Clark Robertson. He soon returned to Nashville, however, and worked as a newspaper editor. By January 1836, he had returned to Texas and settled in Robertson's colony. The following month Childress and Robertson were elected delegates to the Convention of 1836, where the Texas Declaration of Independence was adopted on March 2. Childress is considered to be the primary author of that document. Sent by the Republic of Texas to attain recognition of the new country by the United States, Childress was unsuccessful and returned to Tennessee for a time. While there he married Rebecca Stuart Jennings. By 1841 Childress was in Galveston in an unsuccessful attempt to establish a law practice. Despondent over his financial situation, he committed suicide on Oct. 6 and was buried in an unmarked grave. Thirty-five years later Childress County was named in his honor. #278

722 Moody, Galveston, TX, United States

Subjects
Hutchings House John Henry Hutchings was born in North Carolina in 1822. After living in New Orleans for several years, he moved to Galveston in 1845. Two years later he entered into a partnership with John Sealy to sell dry goods in Sabine Pass. They returned to Galveston in 1854 and set up shop with George Ball, selling dry goods and trading commissions; by 1856, the firm of Ball, Hutchings and Co. dealt exclusively in banking and commissions. Hutchings married Minnie Knox in 1856. Her uncle, Robert Mills, gave the couple five acres on Avenue O as a wedding gift, and they built one of early Galveston's rare brick houses. The bricks were fired on Mills' plantation in Brazoria. The house included a half-story schoolroom and teacher's quarters. During the Civil War, Ball, Hutchings & Co. established a shipping base in Matamoros, Mexico, to export cotton. John Henry Hutchings served as a commissioner of the Confederate State Court. The family left Galveston when it was evacuated but returned after the war's end. The house was damaged in an 1885 storm; renovations made by Nicholas Clayton over the next few years included the addition of a third level and the application of stucco to the exterior walls. Clayton designed and built the carriage house and completed other renovations by 1889. Raised after the 1900 storm, the house remained in the Hutchings family until 1926, when it was purchased by John Henry and Agnes Langben. The Langben heirs sold it to Sealy Hutchings, Jr., the grandson of John Henry and Minnie Hutchings, in 1946. He and his wife, Lucille, lived in the house the rest of their lives. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1962 #14875

2816 Avenue O, Galveston, TX, United States

George Campbell Childress. Erected by the State of Texas in Memory of George Campbell Childress, co-author and signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Born at Nashville, Tennessee, January 8, 1804; died at Galveston, Texas, October 6, 1841. #325

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Subjects
Dr. Frederick K. and Lucy Adelaide Fisher House. Dr. Frederick K. Fisher (1852-1920) and his wife Lucy Adelaide (Selkirk) (1856-1939) purchased this property in February 1888 and had this house built that same year. Both members of pioneer Texas families, the Fishers were active in local civic organizations. Dr. Fisher, who had served as State Quarantine Officer at Indianola prior to its destruction in the hurricane of 1886, continued his career as quarantine officer at Galveston following his move here. He shared office space with his brother, Dr. William Fisher. A third brother, Walter, was a pharmacist. Walter Fisher, his wife, and all but one of their children were killed during the 1900 storm which devastated Galveston Island. Frederick and Adelaide Fisher adopted their orphaned nephew, F. Kenner Fisher, and reared him in this house. After his sudden death at age 11 in 1912, they donated land to St. Mary's Orphanage for a park in his memory. A fine local example of the Victorian-era stick style of architecture, the Fisher house exhibits hallmark features of the style, including jigsawn and turned-wood porch detailing and imbricated shingle work. It remains an important element in Galveston's cultural and architectural history. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992 #7450

3503 Avenue P, Galveston, TX, United States

Henry Rosenberg Home. Built 1859. Architectural and historical interest: formerly widely known for its art treasures and paintings. Much of the materials were imported form Switzerland. Elegant in design. Handcarved-plaster ceilings. Has 8 marble fireplaces. Outside structure is plaster over brick. Carved rosewood interior, high ceilings, and tall wall mirrors. Styled more after the manner of the times of the South, when wealth and elegance showed in the homes. #7165

1306 Market St., Galveston, TX, United States

John Smith House. Irish immigrant and Galveston police officer John Smith had this home constructed at 3601 Post Office Street in 1890, where it later served to shelter victims of the 1900 storm. It was moved to this site in 1927. The home features an unusual four-bay configuration and a two-tiered gallery. The large floor-to-ceiling windows provided cooling and ventilation in the hot Gulf Coast summers. The home remained in the Smith family until 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987 #7187

1116 36th St., Galveston, TX, United States

Julius H. Ruhl Residence. A native of Prussia, Julius H. Ruhl came to Galveston in 1872. He served as cashier and clerk for the mercantile firm of Kauffman & Runge until his death in 1882. This home, which Ruhl had constructed in 1874-75, remained in his family until 1962. The residence exhibits Italianate detailing and features a fine, two-story porch with classical colonettes, a bracketed cornice along the roof line, and a central triangular pediment. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984 #7168

1428 Sealy, Galveston, TX, United States

Sacred Heart Church. The earliest Catholic services in the Galveston area were conducted in 1838. In 1884, as a result of the church's growth under the direction of such leaders as Bishop J. M. Odin, the Galveston Diocese established Sacred Heart as the fourth church on the island. Services for Sacred Heart Church were held in the St. Mary's University building until 1892, when the parish's first structure was completed. Designed by the noted Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton, it was destroyed in the 1900 hurricane. The present building, the second for the parish, was constructed in 1903-04 during the pastorate of the Rev. D. J. Murphy. A prominent landmark in the city, it features ornate octagonal towers, flying buttresses, elaborate ornamentation, and a variety of arches. The design reflects influences of the Moorish, Byzantine, Gothic and Romanesque styles. The building's original dome, damaged in a 1915 hurricane, was redesigned by Nicholas Clayton. Sacred Heart Church has played a significant role in the growth and development of Galveston. Since the 1880s, many of the city's prominent business, professional, civic and religious leaders have been associated with the parish. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #7170

1302 Broadway, Galveston, TX, United States

St. Patrick Catholic Church. Galveston Bishop C. M. Dubuis established this parish in 1870 to serve Catholics in Galveston Island's fast-growing west end district. A wood sanctuary was built at this site and the mostly Irish congregation named the church for St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. The Rev. Laurence Glynn arrived in 1871, a few days after storms had destroyed the sanctuary. He rallied the congregation and by 1877 an impressive Gothic structure, designed by noted architect and church member Nicholas J. Clayton, was completed. A parish school was established in the 1880s. After the storm of 1900 the U. S. Corps of Engineers mandated that Galveston Island be elevated, and between 1905 and 1907 the massive St. Patrick Church building was lifted five feet onto a new foundation. Two mission churches were founded by St. Patrick Church; Our Lady of Guadalupe Church became its own parish in 1927, and Queen of Peace Church continued as a mission of St. Patrick Church. In the late 1980s the parish elementary schools were consolidated. The school facilities at St. Patrick were converted for parish offices, religious education, and social events. The congregation continues its traditional role as a leading Catholic institution for Galveston Island. #7176

1010 35th, Galveston, TX, United States

Scottish Rite Masonry in Texas. Born in 1867 in Galveston. One of major systems of celebrated Masonic fraternal organization. Philip C. Tucker, the Deputy Inspector General of the Masons, read charter establishing "San Felipe Lodge of Perfection." It was named after San Felipe de Austin, capital of first Anglo-American colony in Texas. As Texas Masonry flourished, "L. M. Openheimer Charter of Rose Croix" was organized in 1882. "Pike-Tucker Council of Kadosh" was granted a charter in 1898. The "Texas Consistory No. 1" was established in 1899. The present cathedral was dedicated in 1929. #7180

2128 Avenue F, Galveston, TX, United States

George Seeligson Home. Galveston-born George Seeligson (1841-1912) was a prominent local merchant. In 1872 he married Maria Davenport (1847-1928). He built this 1875 house on another lot in this block. Like many fine Galveston homes, it combines Greek revival and Victorian styling. It was moved to this site with the Seeligsons erected a larger residence in 1887. Later occupied by their daughter Lillian (Mrs. John) Winterbotham (1875-1953), it was purchased in 1954 by Mr. and Mrs. James E. Johnson. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976 #7181

1208 Ball St., Galveston, TX, United States

Schreiber-Miller Warehouse. -- #7179

2319 Strand, Galveston, TX, United States

Civil War Fortifications at Virgina's Point. The site of an important railroad bridge which provided the only connection between the Texas mainland and Galveston Island in the mid-19th century, played an integral role in the Confederate defense of Galveston during the Civil War. A convoy of Union ships began a blockade off Galveston Island on July 2, 1861. Confederate Brig. Gen. Paul O. Hebert, commander of the Military Department of Texas, established the Military District of Galveston in October that year. Under the command of Col. John C. Moore, the district included Galveston Island, Virginia Point, the adjacent coast, and Bolivar Peninsula. Moore ordered fortifications built at Virginia Point at the head of the railroad bridge. When Federal troops captured Galveston Island, Gen. John B. Magruder, who had succeeded Hebert, ordered Confederate land forces to this strategic point. Moving over the railroad bridge to the island under cover of darkness on December 31, southern forces attacked the Federals just before dawn on New Year's Day 1863 and recaptured Galveston Island. At the end of the war in 1865, Galveston was the larger of only two southern ports remaining in Confederate hands. Incise on reverse: Researched by Ft. Virginia Point Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy. #8233

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Clarke-Jockusch Home. This large Victorian home was built in 1895 by Captain Charles Clarke, a prominent figure in the Galveston shipping industry. In 1928 the house was purchased by grain exporter Julius W. Jockusch, who served as consul in Belgium and later consul in Germany. Constructed with double brick walls, the house withstood the 1900 storm and other hurricanes, serving many times as a shelter for friends and neighbors. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 Incise in base: Replaced 1983, Hoblitzelle Foundation/Texas Historical Foundation #8234

1728 Sealy, Galveston, TX, United States

Galveston Children's Home. Founded in 1878 by George Dealey (1829-1891), the Galveston Children's Home moved to this location in 1880. Henry Rosenberg gave money to construct a massive Gothic revival building here in 1894-95. It was destroyed by the storm of 1900. Newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst hosted a charity bazaar at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City to raise funds for rebuilding. This brick structure was completed in 1902. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978 #7458

1215 Moody, Galveston, TX, United States

First Lutheran Church. One of earliest Evangelical Lutheran churches in Texas. Founded in 1850 by the Rev. G. Guebner, of the South Carolina Synod. Seven families were the charter members. The Rev. H. Wendt, second pastor, established day school. For the school and church, old Lyceum building was purchased in 1855. Modern building incorporates part of that structure. Church membership has rallied after hurricanes, yellow fever, war. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969 #7442

2415 Avenue G, Galveston, TX, United States

The Maas House. A fine cypress structure with ornate woodwork, this house was built in 1886 by Maxwell (1845-1906) and Sarah Davis Maas for their family of nine children. A Galveston-born nephew of the musical composer Offenbach, Maas was a merchant and then county tax collector in 1904-06, selling the house in 1911 and scattering widely, the heirs are still represented in local civic leadership. In 1972 the house was restored by Mrs. Pat Berntsen. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976 #7521

1802 Sealy, Galveston, TX, United States

Grover-Chambers House. -- #7479

1520 Avenue D (Market St.), Galveston, TX, United States

W. P. Ballinger Law Firm. Oldest continuous law firm in Texas. Founded Nov. 13, 1846, by William Pitt Ballinger (1825-1888), who on that day received first law license issued by state of Texas, through first judicial district court. A veteran of the Mexican war, he later was a distinguished Texas statesman. Ballinger's first partners -- in Jones, Butler & Ballinger -- were John M. Jones and Jonas Butler. Ballinger relatives who have formed line of descendancy in the firm include a son, Thomas J. Ballinger, grandson Ballinger Mills, Sr., and great-grandson Ballinger Mills, Jr. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #63

2228 Mechanic, Suite 400, Galveston, TX, United States

Hutchings House. Erected in 1856 for businessman John Henry Hutchings and his new wife Minnie (Knox), this structure was designed to resemble an Italian villa. It was damaged in an 1885 storm, and noted architect Nicholas Clayton did the extensive repair and renovation work. By his design the house became a blend of the Romanesque and Renaissance revival styles. He replaced the south gallery with a single-story porch and the west porch with a two-story gabled portico. With the addition of a third floor and stucco applied to the house's brick walls, the building took on its historic appearance. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962 #7495

2816 Avenue O, Galveston, TX, United States

Homesite of Adolph Dolson. Galveston native Adolph D. Dolson was the son of a Norwegian father and Irish mother who migrated here in the 1860s. An active businessman during the first half of the twentieth century, Dolson served four terms (1943-1950) as Galveston's finance commissioner. He also was a prominent civic and religious leader who received Papal honors for service to his community and to the Catholic Church. Dolson and his wife, Catherine (Norris) lived in this home, built in 1907 for Morris and Rachel Wansker, from 1937 until his death in 1950. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #7434

1817 Sealy, Galveston, TX, United States

Eaton Memorial Chapel. Designed by noted architect Nicholas Clayton. Gothic revival style. Dedicated as memorial in 1882 to the Rev. Benjamin Eaton, founding rector, 1841-71. Half of funds provided by the Ladies' Parochial Society; half by financier Henry Rosenberg. After city-wide fire 1885, chapel was used by St. Paul's German Presbyterian Church. Center of parish life 1900-01 and 1925-27 during church repair. Renovated in 1946 and 1966. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970 #7435

2216 Ball St., Galveston, TX, United States

Captain William S. Fisher. Born in Virginia. Captain of a company at San Jacinto, 1836 and in command of the Mier Expedition, 1842. Died in Galveston in 1845. #7449

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Early History of Galveston County. Galveston Island, for centuries a crossroad for Indians, privateers, Spanish and French explorers, for a time was capital of the Republic of Texas. This was during the Texas War for Independence, when Santa Anna was making his 1836 invasion. On March 17, the hastily organized ad interim Cabinet of President David G. Burnet evacuated Washington-on-the-Brazos, moving to Harrisburg, and then in April to Galveston. Here it remained until after the Texas Victory at San Jacinto on april 21, 1836. From January, 1836 until U. S. annexation in 1846, Galveston was the naval base for the fleet which protected shipping and sought to prevent Mexican invasion of Texas by way of the sea. By September, 1837, the four ships of the Texas Navy had all been lost. Not until April, 1840 was the Navy reorganized, under President M. B. Lamar. A former U. S. Naval officer, Edwin W. Moore, was made commodore. Afterward, when Moore became involved in a bitter controversy with President Sam Houston, Houston ordered the Navy to be sold. At the sale, the incensed people of Galveston used forceful means to prevent bidding. The ships at annexation were all transferred to the U. S. Navy. #7462

722 Moody, Galveston, TX, United States

Exploration of Galveston County. -- #7461

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Galveston County Communities. -- #7466

722 Moody, Galveston, TX, United States

Galveston Garten Verein. In design of a Teutonic Club; all stockholders were of German descent. Center for city's social life, 1876-1923, complex had an octagonal dance pavilion, tennis courts, bowling and tenpin alleys, bandstand, fountains. The complex was site of Galveston's first underground electrical conduits. When corporation was dissolved, Stanley E. (Pat) Kempner bought the property and gave it to the city of Galveston for park use. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 #7468

?, Galveston, TX, United States

John M. Jones House. John Maxwell Jones, a native of Delaware, came to Galveston in 1839 and opened a jewelry store on The Strand. Active in area commerce, he helped organize the First National Bank of Galveston. His wife Henrietta was the daughter of French composer Jacques Offenbach. This Greek revival house served as their home prior to 1867. It was later owned by banker Henry Rosenberg, businessman Joe Levy, and County Judge E. B. Holman. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979 #7498

1725 Avenue M, Galveston, TX, United States

Galveston Quarantine Stations. Unregulated entry of immigrants through Galveston in the late 1830s greatly contributed to local outbreaks of yellow fever and other communicable diseases. The young city instituted quarantine measures in 1839 and in 1853 built Texas' first quarantine station on the eastern tip of Galveston Island. Yellow fever returned to plague the community in 1867 and 1868. A larger quarantine station, built by the city in 1870, was destroyed by hurricane winds in 1875. The state built new facilities in 1879 and again in 1885 at a site in Galveston known as Port Point. Ships suspected of harboring infected crew, passengers, or cargo were not allowed to enter Galveston's port. A new station, built on nearby Pelican Island by the state in 1892, was destroyed in the storm of 1900. Texas built its last quarantine station at the Fort Point site in 1902. This station merged with Federal operations in 1919. A federally funded 10-structure quarantine facility, secured with the help of Galveston's Federal Liaison Colonel Walter Gresham, was completed here on Pelican Island in 1915. The Pelican Island Federal Quarantine Station, which closed in 1950, inspected an estimated 30,000 ships that brought an estimated 750,000 immigrants to Texas during its 35 years of operation. #7474

?, Galveston, TX, United States

Hagemann-Cobb House. This elaborate Italianate-Queen Anne style house was built in 1892 by Galveston grocer John Hagemann and his wife Jerusha. In 1932 the home was purchased by Thomas and Laura Ella Cobb. A city health inspector, Cobb was the head of the local Brewer's Union and was politically active in the community. The Hagemann-Cobb house features a distinctive wraparound veranda with a curved metal roof and ornate detailing of the Eastlake style. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #7482

3301 Avenue L, Galveston, TX, United States

Jean Lafitte. Notorious pirate. Settled here in 1817 with his buccaneers and ships; under Mexican flag, continued his forays against Spanish shipping in the Gulf. On this site, he built his home, Maison Rouge (Red House), which was part of his fort; and upper story was pierced for cannon. It was luxuriously furnished with booty from captured ships. Leaving Galveston in 1821, upon demand of the United States, he burned his home, fort and whole village; then sailed to Yucatan. In 1870, present structure was built over old cellars and foundations of Maison Rouge. #7508

1417 Avenue A, Galveston, TX, United States