United States / Georgetown, TX

all or unphotographed
Original Site of Southwestern University. The Methodist church established four colleges in Texas prior to the Civil War: Rutersville College (1840), Wesleyan College (1844), McKenzie Institute (1848), and Soule University (1856). The Rev. Dr. Francis Asbury Mood (1830-1884) was named president of Soule University in Washington County in 1868. Soon after he took office, plans were begun to relocate the school and develop a centralized Methodist university. About the same time, city leaders in Georgetown began plans to establish a college. This site was donated for that purpose by John J. Dimmitt and G. W. Glasscock, Jr., and a community school, instead of a college, opened in 1870. Georgetown was among the cities competing for the site of the planned Methodist university. In 1873 this property was chosen as the site of the new institution, which was granted a union charter (with the four earlier colleges) in 1875 as Southwestern University. Dr. Mood served as president until his death. Buildings added to the campus after 1873 included a young ladies school, a chapel, a boys dormitory (Giddings Hall), and a gymnasium. Southwestern University moved to its present site in 1900 but continued to operate a preparatory department here until 1916. #9341

507 E. University, Georgetown, TX, United States

John Berry, Frontiersman. (1786-1866) A native of Kentucky and veteran of the War of 1812, John Berry moved in 1816 to Indiana. In 1827 he brought his family to the Atascosito District of Texas. Mexico awarded him lots in Liberty and Mina (Bastrop) when those towns were founded. Berry's oldest sons, Joseph (1811-1842), John Bate (1813-1891), and Andrew Jackson (1816-1899), served in the Republic of Texas Army. All three were Texas Rangers before and after the War for Independence (1836) and in the Battle of Plum Creek (1840). Joseph was the first casualty in the Mier Expedition (1842), and John Bate was in Perote Prison for a year. A Williamson County pioneer, John Berry settled three miles northeast of Georgetown in 1846. He built a blacksmith and gun shop and a spring-driven grist mill near Berry Creek. Berry had 18 children by his three wives: Betsy Smeathers (d. 1818), daughter of pioneer Texan William Smeathers (Smothers); Gracie Treat (d. 1830); and Hannah Devore (1812-1904). Five sons and three sons-in-law served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War (1861-1865). Berry died at age 80 and was buried near his home. His descendants include a great-grandson, Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in American history. (1978) #13877

1800 CR 152, Georgetown, TX, United States

Jessie Daniel Ames. (1883-1972) A native of Palestine, Texas, Jessie Daniel came to Georgetown in 1893. She graduated from Southwestern University in 1902. In 1904 she moved to Laredo, where she married Roger Post Ames (d. 1914), and Army surgeon. They were the parents of three children. Following her husband's death, Jessie operated the Georgetown Telephone Company with her mother and became active in civic projects, including the Woman's Club. She joined the Texas Equal Suffrage Association and worked to acquire voting rights for women. She led a large group of women to the Williamson County Courthouse to register to vote for the first time in 1918. The Texas Equal Suffrage Association reorganized as the Texas League of Women Voters in 1919, and she served as its first president until 1924. A champion of civil rights causes, Ames was active in the Commission on Interracial Cooperation. Opposed to the use of chivalry as a justification for lynching, she moved to Atlanta, Georgia, and formed the Association of Southern Women for the Prevention of Lynching in 1930. She retired in 1944 and moved to Tryon, North Carolina. Ames later returned to central Texas and died in an Austin nursing home in 1972. She is buried in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery in Georgetown. (1988) #13878

1004 Church St, Georgetown, TX, United States

Subjects
St. John's Cemetery. This burial ground is located on the site where the first Swedish Methodist church in the Brushy Creek area was located. In the early 1870s, Swedish immigrants began to settle in this area and by the early 1880s, Pastor C.C. Charmquist and residents established a church and cemetery here. The earliest known burial is of an infant, dating to 1881. In 1906, the congregation moved and was ultimately named St. John's United Methodist Church. In 1984, the St. John's Cemetery Association began to maintain the burial ground, though the graveyard continued to be closely related to the church. Early pioneers, community leaders and veterans of military conflicts dating to World War I are among those interred here. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2006 Marker is Property of the State of Texas #15064

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

San Gabriel Park. The land and springs around this site made it a favored camping site for local Indian tribes for centuries before the Spanish discovered it. Raids, drought and conflict led the Spanish to abandon the area in 1756. The Mexican State of Coahuila and Texas granted a colonization contract to Robert Leftwich in 1825. Conflicting contracts were granted to Stephen F. Austin and Sterling C. Robertson. George W. Glasscock, Sr. (1810-1868) purchased the land while speculating for Thomas B. Huling and Company. In 1839 Glasscock received two headrights including this land as part of his share of assets when the company dissolved. The site had become a popular gathering place for settlers when Sam Houston spoke here in 1859. It became known as "The Fairgrounds." Large annual fairs, reunions and religious revivals drew crowds from surrounding areas. The county's first public hanging took place here in 1886. Williamson County Old Settlers' Association, formed in 1904, used the area for annual gatherings, eventually leasing 33 acres and building reunion structures. Helen Glasscock, the widow of George Glasscock, Jr., sold the site to I. M. Williams in 1912. A devastating flood in 1921 swept away the fairgrounds. Georgetown citizens requested that the city buy the site from the Williams family and name it San Gabriel Park in 1933. Under the direction of R. E. Ward, the city improved the park in the 1930s and 1940s. A river wall, low water crossing, large building and rest rooms were erected with funding and labor from the Federal Works Progress Administration. Rodeo pens, sports fields and further land acquisitions continue to ensure that the park provides recreation and shelter for area citizens. (1999) #12307

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Subjects
Georgetown High School Building. Built in 1923-24 on the original site of Southwestern University, this structure served as Georgetown High School for over fifty years. Designed by Austin architect Charles H. Page and exhibiting influences of the Spanish Colonial Revival style of architecture, the building features a Baroque entryway with cast stone detailing that includes motifs of shells, flowers, urns, and garlands. A gymnasium was added to the back of the building in the 1940s. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #9098

507 E. University Ave., Georgetown, TX, United States

George Irvine House. Scottish native George Irvine (1841-1936) built this two-story frame home for his family in 1886. The founder of the Irvine Brothers Lumber Co. (later the Belford Lumber Co.), Irvine was a civic leader who served on the school board, the city council, and the vestry of Grace Episcopal Church. In 1922 he sold the house to postmaster Simon J. Enochs, who made modifications to its original Italianate detailing in the 1930s. #9111

409 E. University, Georgetown, TX, United States

J. A. McDougle Home. One of the many fine structures erected by C. S. Belford Lumber Co., this house was built in 1895 for grocer J. A. McDougle (d. 1939). the Victorian styling included ornate stained glass windows. The home was bought in 1901 by John R. Allen and in 1910 by W. J. Flanagan, who was county treasurer for several terms. His family lived here until Mr. and Mrs. Halsell P. Armstrong became owners (1945). The property was acquired and restored in 1969 by Neil and Joyce Adams. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1975 #9297

1312 Elm Street, Georgetown, TX, United States

Site of Neusser (Naizerville). Moravian immigrant Johann Neusser came to Texas in 1872 and settled in Fayette County. In 1881, he and a number of fellow immigrants moved their families to this area. The Georgetown and Granger Railroad Company built a line through Neusser's land in 1890, and soon a general store and dance hall were built on the rail line. Initially surveyed as Keliehor for another area landowner, the community officially was named Neusser in 1892 when a post office was established. The construction of a depot in nearby Granger led to the demise of Neusser by the early 1900s. #9309

FM 971, Georgetown, TX, United States

A. W. Sillure House. Built in 1912 for Alexander W. and Eva Sillure, this house is representative of the city's early 20th-century architectural heritage. Sillure, general manager and vice president of the Belford Lumber Company, personally supervised construction of this house and drew the plans for many other homes built by the company in Georgetown. The Sillure House reflects the American Foursquare and Prairie School styles in its full-width porch and broad eaves. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990 #9338

1414 Ash St., Georgetown, TX, United States

Pennington Family Cemetery. Born in Fannin County, Texas, during the Republic of Texas period, John Parker Pennington (1840-1904), lived as a young man in Arizona Territory. As a member of one of the first families to settle in the territory he survived several deadly encounters with the region's Native Americans. He participated in the Civil War then moved his family to Texas in 1867. The first recorded burial was that of Pennington's sister, Margaret (Mag) Dennison, in 1872. John Pennington, his two wives, Emily J. McAllister (d. 1880) and Isabelle Purcell (d. 1916), and their descendants are interred here. (1995) #9319

Founders Oak Way, Georgetown, TX, United States

Marsh F. Smith House. This Foursquare house was built in 1908 by the Belford Lumber Co. for Marsh Fawn Smith (1875-1961), operator of a local cottonseed oil mill, and his wife Jessie (Cooper) (1879-1963). Smith served as mayor of Georgetown from 1926 to 1946, important years in the economic development of the city. Elements of the Marsh F. Smith House, including the broad eaves and wraparound porch with square columns, reflect the influence of Prairie School architecture. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #9340

1242 Austin Ave., Georgetown, TX, United States

Community of Theon. Attracted to the rich farm land, immigrants from Austria, Bohemia, Germany, Moravia and Silesia came here in the 1880s-90s. This community grew around a cotton gin built about 1883. A Catholic church and school operated at nearby Corn Hill. A post office, named "Theon" for the Greek "to God", opened in 1890. A rifle club sponsored dances, rifle contests and other socials. Farmers started a beef club, butchered mean monthly and shared it with all families. After the post office and school closed, the cotton gin continued to serve this area. #9363

FM 1105, 10 mi. NW, Georgetown, TX, United States

Page-Decrow-Weir House. Built in 1903, this house was owned by a succession of area ranchers. J. M. Page had the home built for his family, but sold it to his brother-in-law Thomas Decrow in 1903. The home was purchased in 1920 by Horace M. Weir, and in the 1930s a polo training center was operated on the property. A Georgetown landmark, the Queen Anne style house features an octagonal tower, two-tiered wraparound porch, and a two-story bay window. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #9370

N of FM 2243 (Leander Road) on W side of IH-35, Georgetown, TX, United States

Williamson County. Williamson County Formed from Milam County. Created March 12, 1848; organized August 7, 1848. Named in honor of Robert McAlpin Williamson, 1806-1859, pioneer editor, lawyer, patriot and statesman, veteran of San Jacinto. Georgetown, the county seat. #9371

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

James B. Williams. #15386

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Subjects
Railroad Produce Warehouse. Built in 1904 by William Pearce to provide storage space for a wholesale grocery company, this building was part of a larger industrial complex. A number of buildings were constructed along nearby railroad lines, including an ice plant and bottling works, grist and planing mills, and a passenger and freight depot. Thick stone walls and spring water channeled through the basement of the structure helped to cool produce. This site is a reminder of the role industry and the railroad played in the economic development of Georgetown. (1997) Incise on base: Preserved for the future by Karalei Nunn and Tom Nichols #12305

401 W. Sixth, Georgetown, TX, United States

San Gabriel Lodge No. 89, A. F. & A. M.. Organized in 1851, three years after the creation of Williamson County, San Gabriel Lodge No. 89 was chartered in January 1852 with John T. Cox, a Methodist minister from South Carolina, as worshipful master. The lodge grew rapidly with the new county seat. An Eastern Star chapter was formed and met in the Masonic Lodge. San Gabriel Lodge No. 89 assisted in laying the cornerstone for the State Capitol building in Austin in 1885. The lodge has long been involved in such Williamson County matters as public education, its members serving on the board of education as well as in the roles of superintendents, teachers and patrons. One hundred and forty-eight years after its inception, San Gabriel Lodge No. 89 continues in the traditions of its founders. (1999) #12306

800 N. College St., Georgetown, TX, United States

Jonah Cemetery. Jonah Cemetery was established in 1902 when community leaders J. M. Barrington, W. S. McMakins, C. Brady, A. J. McDonald, and R. H. Northcutt purchased two acres near the San Gabriel River to be used as a cemetery. Burials were free to area residents. The earliest marked grave is that of George N. Northcutt. Other graves of interest are those of Confederate veterans Isiah S. Hicks and M. G. Walton. Twin sisters Sarah E. (Yoes) Robbins and Margaret (Yoes) Barrington are interred here near many of their 22 children. One of the last physical remnants of a once-thriving rural community, the Jonah Cemetery continues to serve the area. (1998) #12301

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Amos-Godbey House. Built in 1909 by the C.S. Belford Lumber Company, this was originally the home of Southwestern University German professor Martin C. Amos (d. 1911) and his family. It was later purchased by another member of the University faculty, chemistry professor John Campbell Godbey, who lived here until 1965. Features of the home include a gambrel roof and three-bay inset front porch with stone piers. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988. #15136

1408 Olive, Georgetown, TX, United States

Evangelical Free Church. Swedish immigrant settlers in Williamson County met together in homes for worship services as early as 1884. In 1891 this congregation was organized in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sven Peterson by 21 charter members. Known as Brushy Evangelical Free Church, the congregation built a sanctuary in 1892 on land southeast of Georgetown donated by C.J. Gustafson. This Georgetown site was acquired in 1960, and a new sanctuary was dedicated in 1963. This church has been part of Williamson County history for nearly a century. (1988) #13925

1322 E University Ave, Georgetown, TX, United States

Old Dimmitt Building. Associated with Texas pioneers, businessmen, statesmen, writers. Erected 1901 as a hotel by P.H. Dimmitt & Co. Later occupied by mercantile stores -- meeting place for families and friends from Williamson County communities. Georgetown's first movie house, then auto agency; later a drug store, dental office, bus depot. Remodelled 1960 by Georgetown Savings & Loan Association, preserving Spanish arches, columns, and turrets of native stone. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #13920

801 N Main, Georgetown, TX, United States

Jesse Cooper House. Tennessee native Jesse Eugene Cooper (1855-1944) came to Texas in 1876. The following year he helped establish a Georgetown newspaper, the "Williamson County Sun." In addition to his role as editor, he also founded a local bank and cottonseed oil mill. The C. S. Belford Lumber Co. built this home for Cooper and his second wife, Sara (Wilbarger) (d. 1935), in 1911-12. The American Foursquare design features rustic detailing of native limestone. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #9042

Wilbarger Point, off SH 29, 1.5 mi. E, Georgetown, TX, United States

Subjects
Taylor, John McQueen. (April 24, 1812 - March 14, 1887) Tennessee native John McQueen Taylor came to Texas with his family in 1829 as a settler in the empresario grant of Lorenzo de Zavala. Taylor fought in the Anahuac disturbances of 1834 and later, as a soldier in the Texas Army, he participated in the Grass Fight and the Siege of Bexar. An early justice of the peace in both Tyler and Orange counties, he later settled in Williamson County. He and his wife Nancy Ann had four children. Recorded - 1982. #15385

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Subjects
Judge Harry N. Graves. Born April 4, 1877 in La Vernia (Wilson County), Harry Graves attended Southwestern University in Georgetown and later served three terms as city attorney. As Williamson County attorney, he aided the prosecution in a landmark trial against the Ku Klux Klan, 1923-24 (he lived at this site at the time). District attorney and future governor Dan Moody led the team. In 1929, voters elected Graves to the Texas house of Representatives, where in 1930 he wrote the bill establishing the Texas Highway Patrol. In 1937, he became a judge on the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. Graves died in 1957 and was buried in the State Cemetery, Austin, leaving a legacy of civil rights and public safety for Texas. (2006) #13558

1409 Olive St, Georgetown, TX, United States

Inner Space Cavern (Laubach Cave). #14933

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

C.A.D. Clamp. (1827-1915) Christian Augustus Daniel Clamp was born in Thorn, Prussia (now Torun, Poland). He came to Texas in 1846 and moved to Georgetown in 1851, a year after his marriage to Asenath C. Davis (d. 1917). A skilled carpenter and cabinetmaker, Clamp became one of the city's earliest builders and developers. His work included residences as well as commercial, religious, and governmental buildings. He also owned a furniture business in this block for many years. An active Presbyterian and civic leader, Clamp served as mayor of the city from 1878 to 1880. He is buried in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery. (1990) #13876

705 Main St, Georgetown, TX, United States

M.B. Lockett Building. Located on the site of an 1840s store, this structure was built after the Civil War. In the 1880s it housed the mercantile firm of Rucker & Montgomery. Ohio native Melville Beveridge Lockett opened his store here in 1889 and remodeled the building to its present Victorian design in 1896. Prominent architectural features include cast iron columns, an elaborate pressed metal parapet, and a corner turret with a domed oriel bay. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991 #13873

119 W 7th, Georgetown, TX, United States

Iota Chapter, Kappa Sigma Fraternity. The Iota Chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity was chartered at Southwestern University on October 12, 1886. Iota became an official chapter on October 15, 1886, following the initiations of Iverson B. Lane, Jesse C. Baker, Jasper B. Gibbs, and John S. Moss. Beginning as an unauthorized group on campus, the chapter did not receive university recognition until June 20, 1887. It was the 27th chapter chartered in the United States and the second organized in Texas. In Iota's first century over 975 members have worn the star and crescent, the symbol of Kappa Sigma. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #13871

1003 McKenzie, Georgetown, TX, United States

H.C. Craig Building. Built in 1903, this ornate Victorian structure originally housed the furniture store of Hugh Clifford Craig (1850-1938). Craig sold his business to local competitor W.H. Davis in 1906, but retained ownership of the building. In 1936, after the Davis Furniture Company moved, Craig sold the structure to S.W. Henderson, who ran a variety store here for many years. Elaborately designed, the building features iron columns and pressed metal ornamentation. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990 #13874

115 W 7th St, Georgetown, TX, United States

Steele Store-Makemson Hotel Building. Built about 1870 by M.E. Steele on the site of an early log hotel, this is one of Georgetown's oldest commercial structures. During Steele's ownership it housed a mercantile and a bank. Emma Dickman Makemson later operated a hotel here from the early 1900s until 1924. Exhibiting influences of the Italianate style, the building features a truncated roof, corner entry, ornate frieze below the roofline, and finely crafted stonework. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #13881

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Emzy Taylor. (1841-1895) Arkansas native Emzy Taylor clerked in his father's Georgetown square mercantile store before serving as a Confederate Captain in the Red River valley during the Civil War. He married Margaret Henderson in 1864 while on furlough and after the war returned to Georgetown and took over the family business. At the forefront of Georgetown's early development, Taylor led efforts to establish the first college, national bank, regional railroad line, and water utility service. He took special pride in his formation and service as chief of the city's volunteer fire department. (1994) #13893

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Shafer Saddlery. On site of cabin used (1848) as first county courthouse. This frontier saddlery, erected 1870 of hand-cut limestone by John H. Shafer, had living quarters upstairs. Since 1872 occupants have been attorneys, a newspaper, and many other tenants. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 #13882

711 Main St, Georgetown, TX, United States

Wesley Chapel A.M.E. Church. This congregation was organized in 1869 by the Rev. Richard Robert Haywood, an early Texas missionary in the African Methodist Episcopal church. Trustees of the church bought land at this site in 1881, and worship services were held in a small wooden building until this sanctuary was constructed in 1904. Erected during the Rev. J.A. Jones' pastorate, the Carpenter Gothic style building features a corner tower and lancet windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984 #13895

508 W 4th, Georgetown, TX, United States

Lesesne-Stone Building. (The KGTN Building) This limestone commercial structure was built in 1884 to house the Sanders & Lesesne Drugstore. It remained in use as a pharmacy for the next 76 years. William D. Nichols operated the drugstore from 1887 until 1892. In that year, Dr. Thomas B. Stone acquired the business, which was known as Stone's for more than 50 years. The Georgetown landmark, which exhibits Italianate influences, features arched windows and a pressed metal cornice. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #13916

102 W 8th, Georgetown, TX, United States

St. John's United Methodist Church. As early as 1871, pioneer Swedish settlers near Union Hill (4 mi. S), also known as the Brushy area, were holding Methodist worship services in homes. In 1882, they formally organized as a Swedish Methodist Episcopal church. The congregation moved to this site in 1906, when the present native stone sanctuary was completed. The name St. John's was adopted in 1939, and regular Swedish language services ended in the 1940s. Church programs, however, continue to reflect the ideals, traditions and rich heritage of the pioneer founders. (1983) #13923

311 E University Ave, Georgetown, TX, United States

Judge Greenleaf Fisk. (May 19, 1807 - Jan. 26, 1888) Born in Albany, New York, Greenleaf Fisk was the son of a Presbyterian minister. He began preparation for the ministry himself but left his studies to migrate to the Texas frontier. In 1834 he settled in Bastrop. There he joined a company of volunteers and fought at the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. Later he was elected to the Republic of Texas Senate. In the 1840s Fisk moved his family to a log house on the South San Gabriel River near present Leander. When Williamson County was organized in 1848, Fisk was the first "chief justice," as the office of county judge was then called, a position he had held in Bastrop County. It is said that he often waled the 11 or 12 miles from his home to the courthouse in Georgetown. Fisk was also a surveyor, and many land records in Williamson County bear his name. In 1860 Fisk moved to Brown County, where he again served as county judge and held other county offices. He donated 60 acres for the townsite of Brownwood and additional acreage for county use. His grave is in Brownwood's Greenleaf Cemetery. Fisk was married first to Mary Manlove, who is buried near Leander. After her death, he married Mary Hawkins. He had 15 children. (1976) #13919

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Old Dimmitt Home. Built in 1866 by John Jones Dimmitt; of native limestone hauled by ox-drawn wagons. Home of prominent citizens in Georgetown over 100 years. Dimmitt -- a surveyor, lawyer, mathematician, linguist, one time county attorney, and partner in building of Georgetown Railroad -- was civic leader; instrumental in getting Southwestern University moved to Georgetown. Preserved since 1948 by Dr. and Mrs. R.W. Gamble. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #13921

921 W. University, Georgetown, TX, United States

Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall. Designed by C.I. Belford and constructed in 1892 by C.W. Schell, this building originally housed the mayor's office, city council chambers, city jail, fire department, and the Georgetown Water Co. Over the years, it also has served as a meeting place for the Second Baptist Church and as chamber of commerce offices. The building, which features some Italianate detailing, is one of few remaining examples of 19th-century city hall-fire stations in Texas. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984 #13918

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Cooper Sansom House. #14160

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Georgetown Cemetery, Old. #14602

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Robert J. Rivers. In Memory of Robert Jones Rivers Pioneer patriot, lawyer and orator. Born in Virginia in 1806. Died in Georgetown, December 14, 1854. His eloquence protected the helpless, his wit charmed all. #14595

710 Main St., Georgetown, TX, United States

First Presbyterian Church (Georgetown). ----- #14860

703 Church Street, Georgetown, TX, United States

Dalrymple, William Cornelius. (August 3, 1814 - March 29, 1898) North Carolina native William Cornelius Dalrymple served in the Texas Revolutionary forces and as a Texas Ranger during the 1830s. He married Elizabeth Wilbarger in Bastrop County, Texas, in 1840, and settled on the San Gabriel River in 1846. He served Williamson County as one of six commissioners to select the county seat, as Tax Assessor/Collector, and as State Representative in 1855 and 1857. In 1860 Texas Governor Sam Houston appointed him his aide-de-camp and Commander in Chief of the Texas Militia. In 1865 he served as State Senator and delegate to Texas' Constitutional Convention. (1995) #15002

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

In Memory of George Washington Glasscock, Sr.. In Memory of George Washington Glasscock, Sr., for whom the city of Georgetown and the county of Glasscock, Texas are named. Born in Kentucky April 11, 1810. Participated in the Black Hawk War, 1832. Came to Texas in 1834 amd fought for its independence from Mexico 1835-1836. Surveyor, soldier, legislator, helped to organize Williamson County and donated 172 acres of land for the county site. Died at Austin, Texas February 28, 1868. #14990

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Wilcox-Graves House. #15172

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Macedonia Baptist Church. #15185

Martin Luther King Street, Georgetown, TX, United States

Georgetown, Location of. #15256

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

Hall Named for Laura L. Kuykendall. (1883-1935) Southwestern University dean of women, 1918-1935. Descendant of pre-1820 Texas settlers. An artist and teacher of dramatic interpretation. In tribute to her exemplary Christian life, her influence on students, and her love for Southwestern, the board of trustees in 1935 named this women's building in her honor. (1968) #15217

?, Georgetown, TX, United States

A. M. Brown Cabin. When Asa M. Brown cut cedar, elm, and oak trees and built this cabin on his 317-acre State of Texas claim in 1853, this land was on the frontier. His chimney and fireplace were of hand-hewn native stone, the floor of dirt. William Wood, one of the many later owners, enlarged the home. In 1909-66, L. M., T. L., Annie, and Charles Hughes by turns owned and occupied the property. Mr. and Mrs. Jack Garey restored the cabin after their purchase, 1966. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974 #9036

FM 2243, 6 mi. W, Georgetown, TX, United States