United States / Gettysburg, PA

all or unphotographed
Wills House. Abraham Lincoln was a guest of David Wills in this house, Nov. 18 and 19, 1863. Here he met Governor Curtin and others, greeted the public, and completed his Gettysburg Address.

SE section of Square, York St. (Rt. 30) & Baltimore/Carlisle St. (Rt. 116), Gettysburg, PA, United States

Subjects
Caledonia Furnace. Erected in 1837 by Thaddeus Stevens and James D. Paxton. Stevens' antislavery stand led to its destruction by Gen. Jubal Early, June 26, 1863, on his way to York during the early Gettysburg campaign.

, Gettysburg, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. On July 4, 1863, the Confederate Army began an orderly retreat by the Fairfield Road to the Potomac. They began crossing the river on the night of July 13, after a delay caused by high water.

Fairfield Rd. (PA 116), near western junction with Breams Hill Rd., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Lincoln Cemetery. Established in 1867 by the Sons of Good Will for the proper burial of Gettysburg's African American citizens and Civil War veterans. Some thirty Civil War veterans of the U.S. Colored Troops are buried here, having been denied burial in the National Cemetery because of segregation policies. Also buried here are veterans of the Spanish-American War, World Wars I and II, and the Korean conflict. First known as Good Will Cemetery, renamed in 1920.

Intersection of Lincoln & Long Lanes, Gettysburg, PA, United States

Sachs Covered Bridge. Located just SE of here on the intersecting road. Built in 1852 by David S. Stoner, this lattice-truss bridge (based on a design patented by Connecticut architect Ithiel Town) extends 100 feet across Marsh Creek. Both Union and Confederate troops used it in 1863. Closed to automobiles after 1968, it suffered flood damage in 1996 but was restored by Adams County as a scenic bridge.

Pumping Station Rd. (SR 3005) & Waterworks Rd., SW of Eisenhower Nat'l. Hist site, Gettysburg, PA, United States

Old Courthouse. First courthouse for Adams County stood in old Center Square from 1804 to 1859. The land for the Square was given by James Gettys.

SW section of Square, York (Rt. 30) & Baltimore Sts., Gettysburg, PA, United States

McAllister's Mill Underground Railroad Station. At their grist mill on nearby Rock Creek, James McAllister and his family provided temporary shelter to hundreds of fugitive slaves. Now in ruin, it was part of one of the earliest UGRR networks through which freedom seekers passed on their way north. It was the site of a significant gathering of abolitionists on July 4, 1836, that led to the formation of the Adams County Anti-Slavery Society, an early and influential abolitionist organization.

1360 Baltimore Pike, Gettysburg, PA, United States

Gettysburg Campaign. A major cavalry engagement took place July 3, 1863, about one mile southeast of here. A succession of mounted charges by Gen. David McM. Gregg's Union force prevented Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry from reaching the Union rear and drove the confederates from the field.

Rt. 30 & Calvary Field Rd., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Gettys Crossroads and Tavern. Here the Shippensburg-Baltimore and the Philadelphia-Pittsburgh Roads crossed. Near the crossroads, stood the tavern of Samuel Gettys. In 1775, troops gathered here for Continental service.

44 York St., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Eddie Plank. Baseball great. One of the most dominant pitchers of the twentieth century. "Gettysburg Eddie" compiled a record of 326-194 throughout his career (1901-17), mostly with the Philadelphia Athletics. He won 20 Games or more eight times and helped the A's win six pennants and three world championships. Plank was born here, attended Gettysburg Academy. He retired and died in Gettysburg. Elected to Baseball Hall of Fame,1946.

intersection of Carlisle St. & West Lincoln Ave., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Dobbin House. Built in 1776 by the Rev. Alexander Dobbin. In use for some 25 years as one of the first classical schools west of the Susquehanna River. It is now a museum refurnished in keeping with the early period.

Business U.S. 15 (Steinwehr Ave.) near Pa. 134, Gettysburg, PA, United States

Dwight D. Eisenhower. The future President of the U.S., General of the Army, and Supreme Commander in Europe in WWII lived in this house with his wife Mamie and infant son Icky in the spring and summer of 1918. An Army captain, he was then commanding Camp Colt at Gettysburg.

157 N. Washington St., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Subjects
Adams County. Formed January 22, 1800 out of York County. The name honors President John Adams. Important center of fruit growing industry. County seat of Gettysburg, incorporated 1806, was site in 1863 of key Civil War battle and President Lincoln's great address.

Old Courthouse, Baltimore & W. Middle Sts. (Bus. 15 & PA 116), Gettysburg, PA, United States

Subjects
Thaddeus Stevens. Lawyer, congressman, abolitionist, ironmaster, and defender of free public schools in Pennsylvania, lived in a house that stood on this site. He moved from here in 1842.

51 Chambersburg St., Gettysburg, PA, United States

Subjects