United States / Greenville, TX

all or unphotographed
Site of Wesley College. Founded 1905 by North Texas Conference of Methodist Church as the North Texas University Training School (coeducational), in Terrell, Tex. Raised in 1909 to junior college status and renamed. With support from local people, moved to Greenville for the fall session of 1912. Curriculum emphasized liberal arts. Presidents were the Rev. J. J. Morgan; the Rev. S. M. Black; Dr. D. H. Aston; S. E. Green; Dr. G. F. Winfield; Dr. J. E. Roach; Dr. G. B. Jackson; J. E. Blackburn; J. G. Roach. Before closing in 1938, Wesley College enriched the lives of thousands of students. Incise on base: Erected by the Alumni and Ex-students Association. #7834

Sayle at Poplar St., Greenville, TX, United States

White Rock Baptist Church. The Rev. A. D. Manion, along with thirteen charter members, organized a congregation known as Pleasant View Baptist Church in 1872. A church building was erected in 1883 and served the congregation until 1901, when it was dismantled and rebuilt at White Rock on land purchased from P. W. Titus. After its relocation the name of the church was changed to White Rock Baptist Church. In 1925 a new sanctuary was built across the creek from the 1901 site. White Rock Baptist Church has been a part of Hunt County history for over one hundred years. #7838

?, Greenville, TX, United States

White Rock Methodist Church. This congregation was formally organized on November 25, 1880, by the Rev. J. T. Stanley and eleven charter members. Services were held in the White Rock Schoolhouse until a church building was constructed in 1898. The wood frame structure was destroyed in a 1907 storm and was replaced by a new building. The congregation was active in missionary activities from the beginning, and a missionary society was formed in 1924. Membership has remained steady over the years, and the church continues to serve its community as it has for the past century. #7840

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Greenville "Herald". Established April 1869 by J. C. Bayne. Is oldest business institution in county. E. W. Harris, later owner, started daily, 1890. W. C. Poole family owned it 1914-1956, when Harte-Hanks chain purchased and merged it with "Banner." Matt Sheley is now "Herald Banner" publisher. (1969) #7798

2320 King St., Greenville, TX, United States

William Lane. (1843-1922) First Anglo-American born in Hunt County, then in Republic of Texas. Birthplace: on South Sulphur, near present Wolfe City. Son of John W. Lane, one of commissioners organizing county. During Civil War, served in Confederate army. Later moved to Vansickle community, 4 mi. SW of this spot, where he spent rest of his life. Married first Mary E. Hale. Had 2 children. His second wife was Betty Evans. #7812

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Hunt County. -- #7805

Courthouse Grounds, Greenville, TX, United States

Bourland-Stevens-Samuell House. Built in 1883 by Virginia B. Stevens, daughter of Col. James Bourland, on land deeded him by M. H. Wright, joining site Wright donated for Greenville. Bourland gave land to daughter in 1854. Part of her earlier house was incorporated into this southern colonial structure. Mrs. Stevens gave home to daughter, Berta V. Samuell, who sold to C. A. Leddy in 1912. Owners have been leading citizens in the town's history. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969 #7773

1916 Stonewall St., Greenville, TX, United States

Concord Baptist Church. Oldest institution in Hunt County. Organized 1844 by Rev. Ben Watson under a tree near Shady Grove. First building erected near that spot. Several moves later, congregation settled on this site, 1885. Concord helped organize Texas Baptist Convention in 1848. #7784

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Merit Methodist Church. Organized in April 1871. First pastor was the Rev. W. P. Reed; first member, Margaret Owens. Services were held at Merit School. In 1888 land was bought and a frame church built. Wrecked by a 1905 storm and then rebuilt, church still serves descendants of original members. #7817

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Graham Point Cemetery. Named for Daniel Boone Graham and his family who settled in this area in the mid-1800s, this cemetery, established on Graham's land, served the Graham Point and Union Valley communities for more than 100 years. One of the earliest graves was that of Resina Graham in 1860. Many early graves were marked with bois d'arc posts that either burned or were removed. Several pioneer families and their descendants are buried here, including early settlers named Hurst, Lindsey, McCasland, Partin, and Williams. The last recorded burial occurred here in 1991. #7794

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Greenville Building and Loan Association. This financial institution was chartered by the state of Texas on December 17, 1886, as the Greenville Building and Loan Association. The formation of the association came as a second railroad line was constructed to Greenville, signaling the future of Hunt County Seat as an important center for trade and commerce. The original directors were Thomas Jefferson Gee, I. Popper, Ira D. Wyse, T. E. Byrd, Ephraim W. Briscoe, Frank P. Alexander, and Asher Mandelbaum. Many of the first directors and stockholders were individuals who had migrated to Greenville and became active leaders in its early development. Their belief in the town's potential was reflected in the establishment of the association, the second oldest continuing thrift institution in the state. In the mid-1930s, during the height of the nation's economic depression, the directors successfully converted the association to a federal mutual savings and loan institution. Renamed Centennial Savings Bank in 1983, when it became a federally-chartered savings bank, the institution has continued to reflect the community support advocated by its founders. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #7795

Sayle St. at Joe Ramsey Blvd. - US 69/380, Greenville, TX, United States

Greenville Cotton Compress. Once world's largest inland press. Set record for most bales pressed in 10-hour day (Sept. 30, 1912), when 2,073 bales were handtrucked, pressed, and loaded in rail cars at rate of 3 a minute. Before invention of lifts and tractors all labor was done by skilled Negro workers, each man pushing a 500-pound bale and truck at a dead run, moving to relentless pace of work chants. W. B. Wise, an expert manager of labor, was superintendent; W.T. Williams, assistant; D. M. Love, engineer. This blackland area cotton was then regarded most highly by spinners of England. #7796

1400 block of E. Lee St. (Bus 67), Greenville, TX, United States

Greenville's Electric Light Plant. First municipally owned electric plant in Texas. Opened Mar. 4, 1891, on Town Branch. Steam engine, operating only at night, ran 2 dynamos for 40 street arc and 1000 home lights. Daytime use began 1909. Diesel installed 1933. Now has 8 diesels plus steam engine. #7797

2821 Washington St., Greenville, TX, United States

Hunt County's First Railroad. Missouri, Kansas & Texas (Katy) Railway, whose first train from Denison reached here Oct. 1, 1880. A $5,000 cash bonus and right of way across Hunt County were guaranteed by Greenville men: F. P. Alexander, M. M. Arnold, A. Cameron, J. J. Cooper, J. C. Edmonds, Fred Ende, I. N. Harrison, J. W. Hawkins, J. T. Jenkins, W. C. Jones, J. C. O'Neal, W. G. Perkins, N. I.Ross, Edward Schiff, Sam D. Stinson, Daniel Upthegrove, A. B. Watson, and M. H. Wright. The Katy, which immediately built on to Mineola, stimulated a boom in Greenville and Hunt County population and economy. #7806

3102 Lee St. at Wright St., Greenville, TX, United States

Kavanaugh Methodist Church. Founded as a Methodist Mission Sunday School in 1892, this church was chartered on November 8, 1896, and named in honor of Bishop H. H. Kavanaugh. The first sanctuary was a 4-room brick building erected on this site. A larger facility was needed for the growing congregation and this structure was built and dedicated in 1924. This classical revival style building features fine brickwork, a raised temple front, and 50 art glass windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995 #7809

Stonewall and Park, Greenville, TX, United States

Benjamin D. Martin. (Feb. 21, 1823 - Mar. 28, 1891) Came to Texas from Virginia and settled in Hunt County in 1850s. In Confederate army, organized Texas Sharpshooters, called "Ben Martin's Company." First mayor of Greenville (present regime), 1873; helped draft Texas Constitution, 1875; state senator, 1876-1878; and Greenville mayor again, 1884. He rendered outstanding public service in a long career. Married Elizabeth Caroline Dickenson in 1845. They had six children. #7816

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Old National Road Crossing. One mile NE below junction of Short Creek and Sulphur River. The Central National Road of Texas (Republic) was created by act of Texas Congress, 1844, with intent to give the new nation a unified transportation route. From present Dallas to the head of navigation on the Red River, northwest of Clarksville, road linked to northeast Texas the military routes of west and central Texas; connected with routes east at Jonesborough and Paris. It failed to gain international status Congress hoped for, due to population shifts, coming of railroads and development of other routes. #7822

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Hunt County Courthouse, 1929. Built in 1929 as the seventh Hunt County Courthouse, this building was designed by W. R. Ragsdale & Sons of Greenville and Page Brothers of Austin. The 6-story building depicts a transition from classical revival to art deco architecture. It features solid masonry construction, stone steps leading to triple-arched doorways at the main entries, decorative terra cotta detailing and metal sash windows. It remains the seat of county government. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1995 #7823

2507 Lee at Stonewall St., Greenville, TX, United States

Wesley College Administration Building. After its operation by North Texas Conference of the Methodist Church in Terrell (Tex.) in 1905-11, Wesley College moved here 1912. This administration building, erected 1914-15, burned in the 1920s but was rebuilt by the church and faithful laymen. Incise in base: Erected by Alumni and Ex-students Association. #7835

Sayle at Poplar, Greenville, TX, United States

Wesley United Methodist Church. -- #7836

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Humboldt Cemetery. The community of Humboldt began to prosper when a caravan of families arrived from Tennessee in 1866. The first burial on this site probably was that of Katharine Rankin, the infant daughter of William J. and Mary Rankin, in 1868. The oldest marked grave is that of Mary Rankin's father, Adam E. Dinsmore, who died in 1876. The heirs of Adam and Mary (Davis) Dinsmore deeded this land as a burial ground in 1890. The presence of 38 marked infants' graves before 1932 is indicative of the hardships of pioneer life. One of the graves is that of Maggie C. Dinsmore, a teacher who died during the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic. Six graves are those of Civil War veterans. At the dawn of the 21st century, Humboldt Cemetery covers about four acres. (2000) #11682

5 mi. NE on SH 224, then 4 mi. E on FM 2736, Greenville, TX, United States

Library Movement in Greenville. Library Movement in Greenville In 1897, Greenville's Chautauqua Literary and Social Circle formed the Women's Review Club, which aimed to create a circulating library; each member donated books. The Review Club opened their library in 1900. By 1903, the popular library had to move to larger facilities. The club sought funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, who offered $15,000 for a building. The local Federation of Women's Clubs, under leadership of may Moulton Harrison, provided the site, and the City formed a board of trustees for the public library, which opened in 1904. The library moved to new facilities in 1954 and again in 1996. Renamed for local historian W. Walworth Harrison, the son of May Harrison, the library continues to serve its community. (2003) #13167

1 Lou Finney Ln, Greenville, TX, United States

Subjects
First Presbyterian Church of Greenville. The church, organized in 1880, has impacted the city of Greenville for more than a century. In its early years, the congregation met in a variety of places, including a courthouse and an opera house, before erecting a structure. In addition to being a spiritual center, the church has aided Greenville through volunteer work by its members. The congregation has also been involved in global efforts, including missions. The church's multisensory learning center and programs for families dealing with learning disabilities has also been noteworthy. For over 100 years, the church has played a vital role in the spiritual, educational and social needs of Greenville. (2006) #13576

5905 Stonewall St., Greenville, TX, United States

Concord Baptist Church. #14460

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Waul, Thomas, Home of. #15191

?, Greenville, TX, United States

The Seven Courthouses of Hunt County In 1846, when Hunt County was created, Greenville was chosen as the county seat. Court sessions were held under oak trees at the corner of St. John and Bourland Streets until the first courthouse was built here in 1847. A log cabin, it was located on the west side of the square. It was replaced in 1853 by a 2-story frame courthouse on the northwest corner. The center of the square, which had been reserved for a more substantial building, was used in 1858 for the third courthouse. The first brick structure in the county, it was condemned in 1874. County offices were moved to a building at 2610 Lee Street, purchased from the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The fifth courthouse, an ornate red brick building with white stone trim, was constructed here in 1883, thirteen months later it was destroyed by a fire which heavily damaged the town’s commercial district. A new courthouse, which closely resembled the 1883 structure, was built in 1885. In 1928 it was torn down to make room for construction of the present courthouse. The seventh for Hunt County, a formal dedication was held on April 11, 1929, the 83rd anniversary of the county’s founding.

2500 Lee Street, Greenville, TX, United States

Central Christian Church (Disciples of Christ. This congregation was organized in 1879 as First Christian Church. Led by Elder James Pickens, a minister from Alabama, the congregation first met in a Union Church on Lee Street. The Rev. T. W. Caskey served as the first regular pastor of the church, and a small frame sanctuary was built on Wesley Street. The name of the congregation was changed to Central Christian Church when the present sanctuary was built in 1898-99. The oldest church structure remaining in Greenville, it was built at a cost of $23,000. An outstanding, robust example of the Gothic revival style of architecture, it features intact towers, art glass windows, and exceptional grill-like brickwork. Throughout its history, this congregation has been an integral part of the community. Central Christian Church members have been instrumental in establishing new churches in town and have maintained both foreign missionary and local outreach programs. Recognizing the need to preserve this church as a local landmark, the congregation began a major restoration project in 1986. It now stands as a fine example of local historic preservation. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989 #7776

2611 Wesley St., Greenville, TX, United States

First Baptist Church. Organized Sept. 1858 in local Masonic Hall by Baptist missionary John R. Briscoe and Elder W. M. Pickett with 19 charter members: Lewis W., Rebecca, Susan C., and Martha Matilda (Tillie) Moore; Nancy Moore Hines; Andrew and Mary McDonald; Ellen D. Langford; Mary Reneau; Margaret Moody; Julia Cole; John, D. H., Margaret, and Sarah Miller; Louise and J. C. Moses; Wiley A. and Sarah Mattox. Briscoe served temporarily as pastor. The first convert was Eliza Stevens, a slave. During the Civil War the congregation moved to Center Point (3 miles SE), and later returned to Greenville, meeting in the courthouse, shared by all faiths. First church building was a small frame house on a lot(1 block SE) donated by A. D. Robey and W. M. Arnold in 1873. The house burned in 1886, and a large frame structure was erected in 1887 on this block. In 1895, the church sponsored the establishment of Burleson College, a local private school, which was transferred to the State Baptist Convention in 1899. The cornerstone of a brick edifice, constructed on this site in 1905, is displayed here. Eight other local Baptist churches have spawned from this congregation. The present sanctuary was dedicated Dec. 10, 1967, and serves over 2,000 members. #7789

2703 Wesley St., Greenville, TX, United States

Subjects
The Old Greenville Post Office. Tradition says mail came from Jefferson in early days and was dropped at a saloon. Greenville Post Office was created in 1847, and occupied rented quarters until 1910, when this structure was built. Neo-classic in style, it became an important element in architectural development of the city. In 1930, it was enlarged. Audie Murphy joined the army in this building on June 20, 1942, his 18th birthday; later he became the most decorated soldier of World War II. The city of Greenville acquired the structure in 1973 for historic preservation. #7799

2920 Lee St. at King St., Greenville, TX, United States

Wesley United Methodist Church. Methodists who settled in the Greenville area were served by occasional circuit preachers as early as 1848. In 1850 a Methodist congregation formally was organized with thirteen charter members. Early worship services were held in the Hunt County Courthouse and in the Masonic Lodge building. Known as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, at Greenville until 1896, the fellowship adopted the name Wesley in that year. As Greenville's oldest organized congregation, Wesley United Methodist Church has played an important role in the town's development and heritage. #7837

?, Greenville, TX, United States

White Rock Community. Originally named Tidwell Creek, the settlement of White Rock began as a stop on the Sherman-Jefferson Trail. According to local tradition, the first settlers were members of the Jonas Havens family. A post office was established in 1857. Businesses in the town included stores, saloons, a blacksmith shop, a mill, and a gin. A school was in operation until the 1940s. Early traveling preachers served the religious needs of the community until two churches were organized. A decline in population occurred as a result of railroad expansion in other parts of the county. #7839

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Peniel. Religious community founded in 1899 in conjunction with the establishment of Texas Holiness University on this site by E. C. DeJernett and B. A. Cordell. Title deeds prohibited sale or use of alcoholic drinks and tobacco, and practice of "worldly amusements," such as card playing and dancing. Post office opened in 1901, with name of "Holiness"; changed in 1902 to "Peniel," for a biblical site. The town was incorporated in 1906. The university continued to operate until 1920, when it was moved to Oklahoma. The city was annexed Greenville in 1957, and the post office discontinued. #7824

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Gen. Hal C. Horton Home. First two-story brick house in Greenville. Erected in 1885-1887 in typical Victorian style. Built by the Will N. Harrisons, prominent pioneers. Contractor H. C. "Jack" Horton (father of Gen. Horton) made the brick at "Puddin' Hill." That land, settled 1846 by Horton family, is now owned by Hal C. Horton, Colonel in U. S. Army and General in National Guard. He and Mrs. Horton bought and remodeled house, 1929, using walnut from "Puddin' Hill" farm. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969 #7804

3925 Moulton St. at Walworth St., Greenville, TX, United States

W. R. J. Camp House. Constructed in 1914, this was the home of respected Greenville banker William R. J. Camp and his wife, Dora. The impressive two-story brick classical revival home features giant Ionic columns along the front and in triplicate flanking the entry steps. Also featured are the side gables and a porte cochere at the east side, as well as the window details and the stately second floor balcony. The Camp family owned the home until the late 1920s. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987 #7774

2620 Church St., Greenville, TX, United States

Lallie P. Carlisle. (1866-1949) First woman in Texas to hold an elective public office. Upon death of her first husband, E. W. Briscoe, she was appointed, April 17, 1902, by the Commissioners' Court to complete his term as clerk of Hunt County. At that time women could not vote in Texas. A ruling by the Attorney General of Texas upheld the appointment. Mrs. Briscoe, mother of five, later married C. C. Carlisle. #7775

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Route of Old Colony Line Road. Early travel artery. Followed the north boundary line of the Chas. F. Mercer colony, a 6,500-square-mile tract granted to Mercer in 1844 by Sam Houston (President of the Republic of Texas) for purpose of bringing colonists into Texas. Southern half of Hunt County once lay in this pioneer colony. Over the road came ox-wagons from Jefferson to supply stores in Greenville, McKinney, Dallas, Fort Worth and the frontier. Settlers from the Old South traveled it in a steady stream of covered wagons. Highway 24 today traces part of the road. #7779

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Site of Henry and Emerson Colleges. Prominent early institutions. Henry College, founded in 1892 by educators Henry Bridges and Henry Eastman, was re-established and renamed in 1903 for writer Ralph Waldo Emerson. Closed 1907. Other early colleges in Hunt County were Calhoun (1887-1899), Texas Holiness (1899-1920), the Elmwood Institute (1898-1906), Burleson (1895-1931) and Wesley (1914-1937). Only East Texas State University (opened in 1894) still operates, in Commerce. Although short-lived, these colleges (like more than 200 chartered in Texas 1836-1875) helped shape early culture. #7802

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Grace Presbyterian Church. According to local oral tradition this congregation was organized in 1863 as the Cumberland Presbyterian Church by the Rev. John Nicholson, making it the oldest Presbyterian church in Greenville. The first church structure, built on Washington Street, was relocated to the corner of Wesley and Henry Streets in 1902. The congregation was renamed Grace Presbyterian Church in 1908. In need of larger facilities, the members built a new sanctuary at this site in 1966. This congregation actively sponsors area charity and relief programs and numerous missionary efforts. #7793

1914 Joe Ramsey Blvd. - US 69/380, Greenville, TX, United States

Majors Army Airfield. In 1941 the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) informed Greenville officials that the city would receive Federal assistance to build a civilian airport as part of the country's preparation for possible entry into World War II. In April 1941 U. S. Congressman Sam Rayburn notified Hunt County that the civilian airport project would become part of a $5 million Army Airforce training base housing 3,000 to 4,000 personnel and 300 airplanes. The base was named for Lt. Truett Majors, the first pilot from Hunt County killed in action in World War II. Construction of the base and three auxiliary airfields in the county boosted the local economy and provided employment for thousands of area residents. The base became fully operational on January 5, 1943. Majors Army Airfield provided cadet pilots with preflight and primary training. When not exercising, studying, or training in BT-13s and P-47s the cadets visited Greenville for recreation and to socialize with local citizens. In addition to U. S. Army Air Corps pilots, companies of \Women's Army Corps members, Royal Air Force pilots, and Mexican Air Force pilots were trained here. The base became an advanced training center before being deactivated on July 15, 1945. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995 #7815

Majors and FM 2101, Greenville, TX, United States

John L. Southall. (June 11, 1869 - Oct. 6, 1912) Assistant chief of police of Greenville. Was killed in line of duty in attempt to arrest drunken gunman. Southall's soft nosed bullets were ineffective in battle, as his practice was to wound and stop, not kill. Also killed was Special Deputy Sheriff Emmett Shipp. #7832

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Public Libraries of Greenville. In 1903 the Woman's Review Club organized the Greenville Public Library. Various locations were used until a building at 2713 Stonewall was funded by the National Library Program of the steel millionaire, Andrew Carnegie. The city Federation of Women's Clubs provided books and maintained the library. The first Catholic church in the city was located on this lot. In 1953 the city acquired the church property. The next year this structure was completed. The library was renamed in 1976 for civic leader, W. Walworth Harrison. #7825

3716 Lee St., Greenville, TX, United States

Subjects
Shady Grove Community. Republic of Texas President Sam Houston granted two tracts of land to Charles F. Mercer on which to settle families in January 1844. Included in Mercer's colony were 6,500 square miles of land around this site. Among the earliest settlers here were members of the Concord Missionary Baptist Church, organized in August 1844 by the Reverend Benjamin Watson on a site that later became the Shady Grove Cemetery. A log structure soon was erected to serve as both church and school. The Greenville Post Office, which probably served Shady Grove, was established in 1847. The Rev. Mr. Watson and James A. Burnett deeded one acre of land to the Concord church in 1852. Watson also is credited with building the first flour mill in Hunt County in 1849. In the final days of the Civil War, James S. and Elizabeth Alexander settled in the community with their family. They gave the land for a new schoolhouse. James Burnett voted to name it "Alexander" for its benefactors, but others preferred the name Shady Grove for the number of large shade trees nearby. The community took on the school's name. The Alexanders also built a cotton gin, corn mill and blacksmith shop. A post office, store and Watson's flour mill completed the business section of the village. Shady Grove Methodist Church was built in 1885 with the Rev. W. S. May as pastor. Shady Grove Baptist Church was organized in 1888. The Shady Grove schoolhouse was closed in 1918 when the area was consolidated with Moore's Prairie schools. The Baptist church remained active in 1999. The story of Shady Grove community is a vital part of the history of Hunt County. (1999) #12093

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Germany House. Built in 1886 for Greenville merchant and civic leader Joseph P. Germany (1856-1932) and his new wife Polly (Tolbert) (1862-1889), this simplified second empire style house is distinguished by such hallmarks as its straight mansard roof and tower. Germany married Eloise Conger in 1893 following Polly's death. He helped establish Burleson College in 1895, served as city councilman and city treasurer and managed the city electric plant in 1900. In the early 1900s, ten members of Joseph and Eloise's family lived in the house at once. The Germany family occupied the house for more than 90 years. (1999) Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999 #12090

3403 Lee St., Greenville, TX, United States

Ende-Gaillard House. Ende-Gaillard House German native Charles Frederick von Ende (b. 1832) came to Greenville in 1857 and established a mercantile business on the town square. He became one of the community's most active civic leaders, serving on the school board and city council, and helping to establish the local Odd Fellows lodge. In 1857-1859, Ende built this home for his bride, Amelia Reinecker. Their daughter, Louise, and her husband, Dr. David l. Gaillard, bought the home in 1883. After Louise's death in 1945, the house became part of a lumberyard and was threatened with demolition. Originally located just north of the courthouse square, the Ende-Gaillard House was moved to a city park in 1957 and then to the American Cotton Museum in 1996. (2002) #12791

American Cotton Museum, Paul Matthew Blvd., just off IH-30, Greenville, TX, United States

Central National Road. #7777

?, Greenville, TX, United States

Greenville. In 1846, the Texas legislature created Hunt County and specified that Greenville would be the name of the county seat, honoring Texas War for Independence veteran Thomas J. Green. Voters ultimately selected this location, on land donated by Tennessee surveyor McQuinney Howell Wright, for the new community of Greenville. The townsite was platted in May 1846 and the first lots were sold at auction the following January, although Wright did not file the deed officially conveying his land until March 22, 1850. Albert G. Hamilton served as first mayor after the town incorporated in 1852. Unlike most north central Texas counties, Hunt County voted in favor of secession during the national crisis in the 1860s. Economic hardship, occasions of violence, and occupation by federal troops characterized the Civil War and Reconstruction period in Greenville. The arrival of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad in October 1880 was a watershed in Greenville's history. The railroad provided cotton farmers with easier shipping access, and cotton production and processing became major economic activities. New businesses and service industries, including banks, hotels, street cars, and the state's first municipally owned electric utility, developed to serve the growing community. Greenville was home to Majors Army Air Field and three colleges in the 20th century. Its location at the crossroads of major state and national highways helped Greenville develop over the years to become an industrial and trade center in northeast Texas. (2001) #12547

2821 Washington St., Greenville, TX, United States

Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium. Site of Phillips Field/Majors Stadium In 1929, Eula Lasater Phillips donated $3,500 to the Greenville Athletic Council to build an athletic field at this site in memory of her late husband, Frank Phillips. The first athletic event in Phillips field was a football game between the Greenville High School Lions and the Leopards of Dallas Oak Cliff on Oct. 4, 1929. In 1930, the land transferred to the city, with management by the school district. Here, celebrated Coach Henry Frnka led the school football team to an undefeated season and the state championship in 1933. In 1946, the field was realigned to become the home of a minor league baseball team, the Majors, named for Truett Majors, the first Greenville resident killed in World War II. More than 160,000 people attended Majors games in 1946, and Greenville fielded a number of competitive teams in the late 1940s. In 1947, the football stands were razed and replaced with a baseball stadium. On April 10, 1949, the Majors hosted an exhibition game against the New York Yankees, defeating them 4-3. Among those who participated for the Yankees that day were Casey Stengel, manager, and Joe DiMaggio in center field. Another baseball great who played here was Monty Stratton, a Greenville native, who pitched a game for the Majors in 1950. Attendance at Majors' games declined by 1950, and the team folded before the following season. Reorganized minor league teams, also named the majors, played here in 1953 and 1957. Youth and amateur leagues used the field until the property sold in 1964 and the stadium was demolished. Today, the stadium's arched entryway, built by the works progress administration in 1940, serves as a reminder of the countless athletes and fans who gathered here in the spirit of competition. (2003) #13142

Houston St, Jordan, Greenville, TX, United States