United States / Hallettsville, TX

all or unphotographed
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
50th Anniversary of Battle of Galveston. Jan. 1, 1863 --- Jan. 1, 1914 In commemorating the 50th anniversary of the capture of Galveston by the Southern Confederacy. Gen. Arthur P. Bagby commanding the "Neptune." Dedicated to the heroes who wore the gray at the battle of Galveston. Jan. 1, 1863 Capt. J. T. Whitfield Lieut. J. W. Carson Private Jno. Buchanan Capt. Jas. Walker Sergeant W. H. Turk Capt. J. W. Whitfield In memory of Lavaca Co. men who fought in the Civil War. Capt. James Walker Gen. John B. Magruder Col. Tom Green Col. Arthur P. Bagby Com. Leon Smith Co. G. W. H. H. Brazier Banners may be furled but heroism lives forever. #40

Third & Main Streets, on Courthouse lawn, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Captain Leiper Willoughby. Star and Wreath Came to Texas in 1831. Member Captain William H. Patton's Company at the Battle of San Jacinto. Served in the Vasquez Campaign and against the Indians in 1842. Died in 1874. Erected by the State of Texas 1956. #725

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Joseph Kent. Came to Texas about 1832. Taught in the Texas War for Independence at Bexar, 1835 and at San Jacinto, 1836. Died in Lavaca County, 1849. Erected by the State of Texas - 1963 #2860

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Joseph Lawrence. Star and Wreath A volunteer in the Texas War for Independence; a San Jacinto veteran. Erected by the State of Texas 1962 #2862

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Estate of John Hallett. Member of Stephen F. Austin's colony, and an old sea captain. His log cabin was the first home in the area, 1833. Hallettsville is named for his widow, Margaret, who gave land for the town in 1852, when it became the county seat. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967 #1489

W. La Grange & Crockett streets, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Methodist Church of Hallettsville. Methodist circuit riders under the stewardship of John W. DeVilbiss and Henderson D. Palmer served this area as early as 1842. This congregation traces its origin to a Methodist society established by eleven charter members in 1851. Early services were held in various locations, including brush arbors, homes of prominent area settlers, a schoolhouse, courthouse, and the ground floor of the local Masonic Lodge Hall. The congregation was closely associated with other Methodist churches in Lavaca County, most notably those established in the communities of Shiner and Mossy Grove. The congregation met in the Lodge Hall from 1858 until 1891 when their first sanctuary was completed. A Sunday School, choir, and a women's aid society were organized and over the years the congregation added a parsonage and an educational facility. A new sanctuary was built here in 1953. The congregation, which has generally contained more than 200 members since the early 1900s, has included among its membership a number of the community's most prominent citizens. First United Methodist Church of Hallettsville continues to serve the community with a variety of programs and activities. 1995 #1758

206 S. Dowling Street, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
City Cemetery. On July 19, 1889, the Hallettsville town council met to discuss the poor condition of various small cemeteries in the city. Mayor Fritz Lindenberg appointed Volney Ellis, W.H. Turk and E.H. Mitchel to find suitable land for burials outside the city limits. The committee completed its work in May 1890, when city cemetery trustees bought 4.5 acres from Antonia Kuhn for a new city cemetery. The town's Odd Fellows Lodge, Catholic and Jewish citizens established graveyards on adjacent fields, and part of Clairborn and Martha Moore's land southwest of the city became an African American cemetery. Existing burials were reinterred at this location, sometimes referred to as the Protestant Cemetery. The old city cemetery, located on South Dowling Street, was renamed Memorial Park in 1952. This burial ground, with tombstones inscribed in Czech and German as well as English, is a rich resource of the city's history. Confederate Maj. Gen. Arthur Pendleton Bagby (1833-1921) is one notable burial. City Cemetery has expanded over the years, taking in the Odd Fellows' site in 1945 and additional acreage to the east in 1957. The City Cemetery Association of Hallettsville manages the sacred ground. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2005 #13567

1429 Cemetery Rd, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Hallettsville. Founded 1833 when John Hallett erected a log cabin near Lavaca River. Town was named for his widow, Margaret, who gave the land when town became county seat in 1852. Farming, livestock, poultry processing, and cotton marketing center. State Championship High School Rodeo held annually in June. 1968 #2339

SW corner of S. La Grange St. & US 90A/US 77, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Hallettsville. Named for Mrs. Margaret Hallett, widow of John Hallett, a member of Austin's colony and a veteran of San Jacinto, who donated the town site. 1936 #2340

313 S. Dowling Street, in Memorial Park, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Hallettsville Memorial Park. Land originally property of Mrs. Mary Jane Hallett Ballard, who deeded it to trustees of the "Hallettsville Graveyard" in 1870. Area pioneers were buried here until 1898. The monument in center honors county's heroes in battles of the Alamo, Goliad, Gonzales, and San Jacinto. After 1898 the cemetery fell into disuse and weeds overgrew it. In 1952 several civic groups persuaded the city to establish a public park here; a group of leading citizens supervised its development. The city and local garden club have maintained the park and grounds since 1952. 1970 #2341

313 S. Dowling Street, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Paul Scarborough. Star and Wreath Came to Texas in 1835; served in the Texas Army from October 3 to December 14, 1835. Member Company D, First Regiment Texas Volunteers at San Jacinto, 1836. Erected by the State of Texas, 1962 #3958

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
John Wilkins Whitfield. Star and Wreath Brigadier General, C.S.A. Battle of Pea Ridge, commanded "Whitfield's Legion" at Iuka, Brigade commander Vicksburg Campaign, Texas legislator. Erected by the State of Texas 1963 #2822

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Lavaca County Courthouse. Fifth structure to serve as seat of justice for Lavaca, created originally as "La Baca", a judicial county, by Congress of Republic of Texas in 1842. Declared unconstitutional along with other judicial counties, it was created anew by first Legislature of State of Texas on April 6, 1846, and organized on July 13, 1846. Earliest courthouse was of logs, and for an interval after that one burned, court was held under a liveoak tree in old town of Petersburg. This is third courthouse on this site since county seat was moved to Hallettsville, 1852. Richardsonian in style, it is of Mineral Wells brown sandstone and has base and trim of Mills County grey stone. Eugene T. Heiner of Houston, noted for his public buildings, was the architect. Contractors A. T. Lucas and C. H. and J. Stadtler erected the structure in 1897-1899. Led by members of Hallettsville Schuetzen Verein, Silver Cornet Band, fire department, Sons of Hermann, and other orders, county dedicated the building July 4, 1899, with Judge P. H. Green giving the main address. Courthouse square was selected by Texas Society of Architects in 1970 for a restoration study. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. #3050

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Murchison Lodge No. 80, A.F. & A.M.. Considered oldest organized group in Lavaca County. Under dispensation granted March 29, 1850, Lodge was chartered January 31, 1851, and named for early Texas colonist and Masonic leader John Murchison, Fayette County. First officers: Isaac J. Foster, worshipful master; Silas Bennett, senior warden; Peter McDermott, junior warden. About 1855, Lodge built a 3-story hall, which was also used as a church and a school (called "Masonic College"). Lodge member Friench Simpson served as grand treasurer of the Grand Lodge of Texas in 1900. #3537

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Old Hanging Tree. Gallows used Sept. 12, 1879, at public hanging of "Pocket", an Indian, killer of Englishman Leonard Hyde. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1967 #3740

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Pioneers Settlers Killed by the Indians Comanches and Tonkahues. #4040

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Route of the Texas Army. In Texas Revolution, Gen. Sam Houston and his Texas Army crossed Rocky Creek near this spot, March 15, 1836, retreating eastward from town of Gonzales. Their victory 5 weeks later over Santa Anna's Mexican Army, in Battle of San Jacinto, brought freedom to Texas, April 21. #4375

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Zion Lutheran Church (Hallettsville). #15439

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
St. Mary's Parish. Considered the oldest rural Catholic parish in Texas, St. Mary's was settled before the Texas War for Independence by such pioneers as James Brown, who was killed in the siege of the Alamo. First church edifice for St. Marys was built in 1840 under influence of missionary Fathers George Haydon and Edward A. Clarke, who also opened school for the settlement. This was one of ten churches comprising Texas' First Diocese (Galveston) at its formation in 1847. Many priests' and sisters' vocations have come from this historic parish. #5063

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Site of Moravia School. Many Czech and German immigrants settled in this area of South Texas in the 1870s. Moravia was a Czech farming community that included homes, a Catholic church, businesses, and a school. The first school in the Moravia community was a one-room structure located about one mile northwest of this site. Students attended classes on a tuition basis. The one-room schoolhouse was destroyed by fire in 1878, and students temporarily attended school in a former store building (about 1 mile north). Land at this site was acquired in 1885. Moravia School, a two-story schoolhouse with two classrooms, was erected in 1887. Classes were conducted primarily in the Czech language until 1895. Additional land acquisitions in 1908 and 1922 enlarged the school property, and in 1923 materials from the 1887 structure were used in the construction of a larger school facility with four classrooms. Serving students from a large rural area, the Moravia School continued to grow as other rural schools declined. Students participated in scholastic, literary, and athletic activities. The Moravia School was closed following the 1971-72 school year and was consolidated with the Hallettsville School System. #4838

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Lay-Bozka House. One of distinctive structures of 19th century Texas. Sometimes called the "Wedding Cake House". Built 1878-1882 by B. J. E. Dietz at cost of $4,750 for Dr. James E. Lay, local physician and Civil War veteran. The architect was Victor Hugo, a French diplomat. Native stone walls are 18 to 24 inches thick. Wood used was cypress. Mansard roof. Windows of variant designs and sizes. Owned and preserved since 1948 by former Mayor M. I. Bozka. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968 #5369

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Arthur Pendleton Bagby. (May 17, 1833 - February 21, 1921) Star and Wreath Native Alabamian, last surviving member of West Point class of 1852, lawyer, colonel in 7th Texas Confederate Cavalry, participant in Sibley's New Mexico campaign, commanded volunteer land troops on board Confederate ship Neptune during Battle of Galveston, wounded and commended for role in engagement near Berwick Bay in Louisiana, led brigade at battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill in Louisiana, major-general in Confederate Army. Buried in city cemetery, Hallettsville. 1963 #217

315 S. Dowling Street, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Sacred Heart Catholic Church. This congregation was founded as a mission of St. Mary's Catholic Church (about four miles west of Hallettsville). The Rev. John Anthony Forest served the new congregation, as well as other missions in Lavaca County. Early worship services were held in the homes of members, most of whom had recently immigrated to Texas from Europe. Land for a church building was donated by Collatinus and Mary Jane Hallet Ballard in 1869. Construction began in 1873 and was supervised by Father Forest. After the building was completed in 1882, Sacred Heart became a full-time parish. Father Forest served as pastor until 1895, when he left to become bishop of the Diocese of San Antonio. Sacred Heart Academy, located on the grounds of the church, was established by the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament in 1882. The parish continued to operate the school after the nuns relocated to San Antonio in 1926. An important part of Hallettsville history since its founding, Sacred Heart Catholic Church continues to serve the community and counts among its members many descendants of early German and Czech immigrants. #4430

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First National Bank. #15280

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
SPJST Moravia Cemetery. IMMIGRANTS FROM NORTHEASTERN MORAVIA (CURRENT CZECH REPUBLIC) SETTLED IN THE AREA PRESENTLY KNOWN AS MORAVIA, TEXAS. MORAVIA WAS FOUNDED BY JAKUB HOLLUB AND HIS SON-IN-LAW IGNAC (J. E.) JALUFKA WHEN THEY ESTABLISHED A STORE IN 1881. THEY NAMED THE COMMUNITY AFTER THEIR HOMELAND OF MORAVIA. A TOWN QUICKLY GREW WITH A BLACKSMITH SHOP, A GIN, A SCHOOL, STORE AND MORE. SPJST LODGE NO. 23 NOVA MORAVA WAS ESTABLISHED AS A CHARTER MEMBER OF SPJST (SLOVANSKA PODPORUJICI JEDNOTA STATU TEXAS), A NON-DENOMINATIONAL CZECH FRATERNAL ORGANIZATION, IN 1897. THE FIRST MEMBERS OF THE LODGE CONSISTED OF IMMIGRANT FARMERS, STOREKEEPERS AND TEACHERS WHO MET AT THE MORAVIA HIGH SCHOOL. THE GROUP BUILT A LODGE HALL IN JANUARY 1914 AND, IN 1922, DECIDED TO ESTABLISH A CEMETERY. ON MAY 8, 1922, SPJST LODGE NO. 23 PURCHASED ONE AND A HALF ACRES OF LAND FROM FRANK BLAHUTA. THE FIRST BURIAL IN THIS HISTORIC CEMETERY IS THAT OF WILLIE TROJCAK, WHO WAS ONE-AND-A-HALF WHEN HE PASSED AWAY ON SEPTEMBER 10, 1923. SEVERAL VETERANS FROM WORLD WAR I, WORLD WAR II AND THE PERSIAN GULF WAR ARE BURIED HERE. THE CEMETERY IS BORDERED BY PASTURES AND A FENCE, AND INCLUDES GRANITE AND MARBLE HEADSTONES ORIENTED IN A FEET-TO-EAST POSITION WITH NATURAL VEGETATION. ORIGINALLY, THE CEMETERY WAS ESTABLISHED AS A BURIAL PLACE FOR MEMBERS OF LODGE NO. 23 AND THEIR FAMILIES BUT NOW ANYONE MAY PURCHASE A LOT. BURIALS INCLUDE CATHOLIC AND NON-CATHOLIC MEMBERS. SPJST MEMBERS PROVIDED FUNERAL AND BURIAL SERVICES TO ITS MEMBERS IN THE CZECH LANGUAGE. THE BURIALS HERE PROVIDE A HISTORY OF SPJST LODGE NO. 23 CZECH-MORAVIANS AND THEIR FAMILIES. #16715

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
John Himes Livergood. (September 10, 1815 - October 3, 1893) A native of Pennsylvania, John Himes Livergood came to Texas in 1837 and received 640 acres of land on Peach Creek near Gonzales. From that time until Texas' annexation to the United States nearly ten years later, Livergood played an integral role in the defense of frontier settlements and in several major events during the Republic period. In 1840, Livergood joined Capt. Adam Zumwalt to pursue an Indian party that had attacked his neighbors. The chase ended with a decisive victory at the Battle of Plum Creek. Later he served in several scouting expeditions, including the Spy Company of the Texas Rangers under John (Jack) Coffee Hays. He took part in the Battle of Salado Creek and the Somervell Expedition in 1842. As a member of the doomed Mier Expedition to invade Mexico, he was a survivor of the Black Bean Episode and was finally released from Perote prison in 1844. While visiting family in Missouri in 1847, John H. Livergood met Sarah Ann Elizabeth Perkins (1828-1909). They married in 1847 and established a home (eventually with 13 children) on the Lavaca River. The Livergoods helped found Mossy Grove Methodist Church and were active leaders there. A farmer and rancher, Livergood also entered the political life of Lavaca County, serving as chief justice (county judge) from 1850 to 1852 and later as justice of the peace. In his final military service, Livergood served in the Lone Star Guard, the Texas State Troops and the Confederate army during the Civil War. Both he and Sarah Ann Livergood are buried at Mossy Grove Cemetery. (2001) #12401

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Stacy School. #17190

County Road #191, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
St. Peter Lutheran Church. The history of Lutheran ministry in the Hallettsville area can be traced to 1868, when the Rev. Christian Geiger began missionary work among the area's German immigrants. Meeting first in the nearby Pagel settlement, a congregation was formally organized on December 21, 1889, in the home of Franz Groeber. Named St. Peter Lutheran Church, the congregation began with eight founding families and met in facilities provided by Hallettsville's Episcopal Congregation. Worship services, conducted in German and English, were held once a month. By September 1891 land was purchased for a church building, and the cornerstone was laid on December 9. The building's framework was destroyed in a storm that month, but it was rebuilt and formally dedicated on June 19, 1892. As the congregation continued to grow, the Rev. Frederick Wolfsdorff became the second pastor in 1901. Along with Anna Thekla Baessler, he organized the church's first Sunday School in 1902. Additional buildings were added to the church grounds over the years, and a new sanctuary was built in 1942. Celebrating over one hundred years in Hallettsville, St. Peter Lutheran Church continues to serve its community. #5075

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Baptist Church of Hallettsville. According to local oral tradition, Baptists in Hallettsville began worshiping together about 1851. A congregation of fourteen people was in operation by 1854. Early worship services were conducted in a three-story building which served the community as a school, Union Church, and Masonic lodge. The church's membership grew steadily, and in March 1882 the deacons purchased land in this block for a sanctuary. A frame structure was completed in 1884. It continued to serve the congregation until the early 1940s, when it was moved to another site on the property to make room for a new brick building, which was completed in 1948. Beginning in 1962, plans were again made to enlarge the church facilities. The 1884 church building was incorporated into the design for the new structure, and it remains in place under the modern brick construction. Throughout its history, the First Baptist Church has served the community with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs. Members of the church have maintained an involvement in both foreign and domestic missionary activities. The church continues to play an important role in the civic affairs of Hallettsville and Lavaca County. 1991 #1638

501 E. 2nd Street, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Stephen Tucker Foley. Star and Wreath Born in Alabama. Came to Texas in 1834. Served in the Army of Texas, 1836. A member of Captain William Heard's Company of Citizen Soldiers at the Battle of San Jacinto. Erected by the State of Texas 1956 #5106

315 S. Dowling Street, in Memorial Park, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
General John W. Whitfield. Born Tennessee. Legislator. Went to Missouri 1853. Indian agent Kansas. Territory Kansas representative U.S. Congress 1854-57. Moved Texas before Civil War. Organized Lavaca County company for C.S.A. 1861, led 4th Battalion Texas Cavalry Pea Ridge, Ark. wounded battle Iuka, Miss. Leading legion. Made brigadier general 1863. Left command due to ill health, fall 1863. Lavaca County delegate to Texas constitutional conventions, 1866, 1875. A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy Erected by the State of Texas 1963 Whitfield's Legion, C.S.A. Originated with Cavalry company organized by Capt. J. W. Whitfield in Lavaca County 1861. Joined C.S.A. troops in Missouri to put Missouri, Kansas in Confederacy. Became part 4th Battalion Texas Cavalry participating Battle Pea Ridge, Ark. Mar. 1862. Organized as 27th Texas Cavalry Regt., commonly called "Whitfield's Legion", Apr. 1862. Soon dismounted, sent to reinforce Gen. Beauregard at Corinth, Miss. Rendered valorous service at Battle Iuka, Sept. 1862 with 106 killed and wounded in successful charge against artillery battery. Protected retreating C.S.A. battery. Protected retreating C.S.A. Army at Hatchie River. Fought Battle Spring Hill, Miss. March 1863. Remounted and made part 2nd cavalry brigade commanded by Gen. Whitfield. Defeated Federals in attack at Messinger's Ferry, Miss. July 1863. Upon Gen. Whitfield's retirement Gen. "Sul" Ross assumed command and brigade gained renown as Ross Texas Brigade. #2135

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Hallettsville Public Schools. The existence of schools in Hallettsville can be traced to the early 1850s. Alma Male and Female Institute was established in 1852 just east of the town square on land donated by Margaret Hallett. The local Masonic lodge provided space in their building for church and school purposes for many years. A public school was established in 1877 when the Baptist and Methodist churches joined to operate a graded school in the old Masonic building. A site for a permanent school was acquired in 1885, and the following year a two-story building was erected. Supported by the community and local taxes, the school expanded its programs to serve the needs of its students. In 1907 an election was held in which the Hallettsville School District was declared independent from the county school system. A two-story red brick school building was erected in 1908 and was in use until it was destroyed by fire in 1919. A new building was completed in 1920, and other facilities have been added over the years. Hallettsville schools were integrated in 1966, and the former Stevens-Mayo School for blacks became a junior high school. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #2342

200 N. Ridge Street, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Joel Ponton. (July 3, 1802 - February 1, 1875) Born in Virginia. Came to Texas 1833. Settled first at Gonzales. Served in the 1836 Texas War for Independence. Later moved to his land here on the Navidad, where he was a farmer, minister of the gospel, frontier doctor, and merchant. In 1840 Comanche Indians shot him and left him for dead with two arrows in his back, but he recovered. He served as Lavaca County judge, 1866-67. Ponton married five times; was father of nineteen children. (1971) #2762

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Moravia General Store. Ignac (J. E.) Jalufka and Jakob Hollub brought their families to northern Lavaca County in 1874, followed by several other Czech families. Founded in 1881, Moravia was so named to honor Moravia, Czechoslovakia, the settlers' homeland. The first commercial structures here were a blacksmith shop, cotton gin, and school. In 1889 Jalufka built a two-story frame saloon on this site. Grocery and mercantile supplies took up the rear half of the ground floor; the saloon was located in the front. The second floor served as a dance hall. Masquerades, seasonal celebrations and other events made it a popular gathering place for the entire community. From 1891 to 1900 Jalufka also was United States Postmaster for the area, operating the post office from his store. The saloon was popular and successful until 1920, the year that J. E. Jalufka died and prohibition was passed into law. Agnes Jalufka inherited the business, and sold it to Annie Chromcak and Lillian Blahuta in 1922. Annie Chromcak sold her interest to Lillian and Frank Blahuta the following year. In 1930, a new dance hall was erected across the road. The second story was torn down, leaving the one-story Moravia General Store. The new dance hall across the road was torn down in 1950. The Moravia store remained in the Blahuta family until 1979. In 1990 the store was closed for the first time in 109 years, but it was reopened in 1996. The Moravia General Store remains a link to the past and to the spirit of the pioneers of Lavaca County. (1998) #12020

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Site of Breslau School. German and Czech immigrants moved to this area in the 1860s and 1870s and established small farms to grow cotton. Their community, named Breslau in honor of the Prussian city of Breslau, was located on the east side of the Lavaca River. Fritz Ladewig established a store and cotton gin in the 1870s, and in 1872 donated land for a school. In 1887, the school building was converted to a teacherage and a larger schoolhouse was erected. The community of Breslau prospered, and in 1880 a post office was established. Henry Weller donated an acre of land for a school for African American residents and a schoolhouse was built. After 1900 Breslau included stores, a blacksmith, dance hall, school and Lutheran and Catholic churches. Private donations supported the school until 1910 when a school tax of seven cents was levied and additional classrooms were constructed. A teacherage was built in 1919, and in 1922 Wessel Buss sold three acres of land on which a modern school building was built. The African American school closed in 1955. The Breslau School provided quality education for the community until June 1963 when the school was closed and consolidated with Halletsville schools. (1997) #12019

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Andrews Chapel Cemetery. Associated with the Hackberry community, the Andrews Chapel Cemetery was named for settler A.G. Andrews, who by 1866 had donated land for a burial ground and Baptist church. The oldest marked grave dates to 1860 and the burial of Mexican War veteran Alfred Morrow. Other burials include that of Joseph Lawrence, a veteran of the Battles of Plum Creek and San Jacinto. At the time of his death in 1897, Lawrence was believed to be the oldest surviving veteran of the Texas Revolution. Today, and association maintains the burial ground, holding annual homecomings to reunite and to preserve this link to the area's history. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2004 #13225

US 77, CR 221, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Vienna (Cheney Settlement). The community of Vienna has roots that reach back to the Republic of Texas. Maryland native John Cheney (1796-1868) brought his family to Texas in 1830 when Native Americans, including his wife Lucy, were expelled from their home in Georgia. Cheney served as Constable and Justice of the Peace in what was then Colorado County. His home on the west bank of the Navidad River, once including more than 7,000 acres, became known as Cheney Settlement. The Cheney family sold off portions of the family farm, and an influx of German, Austrian and Czech immigrants arrived. In 1873, Benjamin Milby opened a post office named Vienna in honor of the Austrian capital. In the 1880s, Pat Carvelle gave land for a school, which the community built with lumber hauled from Schulenburg. John Mixon operated a general store and the post office from 1885 to 1906, followed by postmaster Louis Teltschick, who also built and operated a cotton gin, sawmill, grist mill and blacksmith shop. Vienna was also a popular picnic spot in the early 20th century, with picturesque crossings of the Navidad River nearby. A July 1940 flood severely damaged the gin complex, though, and sent the Louis Teltschick family to the upper portion of the gin for shelter. The congregation of Vienna Baptist Church, founded at Seclusion (6 mi. SE) in the 1880s, moved next to the school in about 1915, the same year the post office closed. During the 1940s, the gin, school and several stores closed, and construction of Farm to Market Road 530 from Hallettsville to Edna in the 1950s hastened the dispersal of Vienna. Today, Vienna Baptist Church (1 mi. NE) is the only surviving building of this once viable rural community. (2006) #13594

FM 530, CR 124, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Vysehrad School. Established north of Worthing community in 1887, Vysehrad School reflects the area's Czech heritage; the name means "high castle" in the Czech language. Frank Jakubik was the first teacher in the original schoolhouse at this site. It burned in 1905, replaced by a two-room structure and teacherage. By 1935, the school had three teachers serving eight grades. Consolidation with the Brown (1958) and Wied (1966) schools, along with steady growth, led trustees to enlarge facilities over the years. An independent school district since 1978, Vysehrad serves an area of more than 33 square miles as a reminder of the vital role rural education has played in Lavaca County history. (2007) #13886

595 CR 182, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Radhost School. Settlers of the community of Radhost, many of whom were immigrants from Czechoslovakia, funded the building of a school which opened in 1873. Beginning as a one-teacher school taught in the Bohemian language, it became a two-classroom English language school with the construction of a new building in 1930. Radhost School housed grades one through ten, and subjects included reading, writing, health, civics, history and drawing. Reflecting the importance of farming in Radhost, the school year began in the fall after crops were harvested. The school remained in use until 1955, when annexed by Hallettsville Independent School District. (2007) #13943

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Wied School. Opened in 1895, Wied School served the primarily German and Czech population of the Wied community over 70 years. Anglo-American settlement in this area began in the 1830s, and by the early 1870s, German immigrants, including the Wied brothers for whom the community was named, began moving here. A number of Czech immigrants also came to the community in the following years. Local students attended a private school until August Wied, son of Sophie and George Wied, deeded land for a community school. In the early years of Wied School, teachers held classes for grades one through seven in a three-room schoolhouse, which residents replaced with another three-room structure in 1919. The school later expanded the curriculum through grade ten, after which students attended high school in Hallettsville of Shiner. Courses here were varied and included the Czech language, reflecting the heritage of many residents. Teachers also stressed agriculture, echoing its importance in the rural Wied community. Cotton farming drove the economy, and most students attended school only after the fall harvest. The population of the Wied community declined in the 1950s, and in 1966, Lavaca County school trustees voted to consolidate the school with the Vysehrad district. As a result, Wied School closed and trustees sold the building. Although the school no longer exists, its history serves as an important reminder of Wied community and a once vital institution that was an integral part of rural education efforts in this part of the state. (2007) #13959

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Hallett, John. #14072

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Memorial Park Cemetery. #14902

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Alma Male and Female Institute, Site of. #15153

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Wreck of the Don Milo. #15769

Main St. & Russell St., Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Arthur Henry Vollentine. Arthur Henry Vollentine was born in New Jersey or Virginia about 1807. He came to Texas about 1833 as a colonist of Empresario Martin de Leon and in 1834 he married Maryland native Mary Ann May. They moved to a Mexican land grant on Brushy Creek near present-day Yoakum, Texas, that Henry had acquired in 1835. From October 1835 through January 1836 Vollentine served in the Republic of Texas Army at Fort Goliad. They left their South Texas home in March 1836 during the Runaway Scrape, lived in the Nacogdoches district for several years, then returned to this area by 1840. Mary Ann died about 1841. In 1845 Vollentine married her cousin, Mariah Brown, whose grandfather Bernard Brown donated land for St. Mary's Church and cemetery in 1841. Texas granted Vollentine land on the Lavaca River near Hallettsville in 1846. They farmed and ranched on their Brushy Creek and Lavaca River properties. The Vollentine cattle brand appeared as V5. Vollentine, appointed one of Lavaca County's first county commissioners soon after its creation in 1846, was instrumental in the selection of Hallettsville as county seat in 1852. Arthur H. Vollentine, his wife Mariah, and many of his descendants are buried here. #216

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ezzell School. In the early 1850s pioneers of this area erected a building 2 miles north of this site which they called White House Christian Church and School because of the contrast its lime coating presented against the surrounding green prairie. In 1883 the school was moved to a building in the community of Ezzell on land donated by Andrew Garner. It was the community's first public school and was named Ezzell for local merchants Sam and Ira Ezzell. In 1922 a new 4-room school building was erected at this site on land donated by Dr. E. A. Evans. Three additional acres were purchased from L. A. Bishop in 1923. In 1925 students from the nearby Live Oak School began attending Ezzell School. Ezzell's three teachers and nine grades served more than 100 pupils in 1935. Prior to World War II the Ezzell School building also served as the site for draft registrations. Unlike many area rural schools which closed during the 1950s and 1960s, Ezzell continued to grow as the area it served expanded. In 1975 a new wing was added to the east side of the building to accommodate more students. In 1989 three classrooms, a science lab, and several physical education facilities were added. Today Ezzell operates as an elementary school. 1994 #1522

10 mi. S on US 77; 4 mi. E on FM 531, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First National Bank of Hallettsville. Oldest bank in Lavaca County; has operated in this city block continuously since its establishment by Friench Simpson (1848-1923) and Carey Shaw (1854-1944), former employees of the J. H. Simpson Bank, Columbus. Shaw was also one of the original officers in the Texas Bankers Association, founded in 1885. In 1888, the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad was being built through Hallettsville. When S.A.A.P. construction gang reached here, the need for a local bank became apparent, and Simpson and Shaw organized "The Lavaca Bank" as a private institution, opening for business in southeast corner of the Kroschel General Merchandise Store, in this block. In 1890, they chartered the Lavaca County National Bank of Hallettsville, and took over entire Kroschel Building. In this bank, Shaw was president; T. Y. Hill, vice president; Friench Simpson, cashier; H. M. Tippett, assistant cashier; Joe Kahn and T. H. James, directors. Present name was adopted at bank's rechartering on May 21, 1910. Carey Shaw continued as a director until 1909; Friench Simpson until October 13, 1914. Succeeding generations of the Simpson family have also served in staff and management. New building, erected 1973, occupies the original site and adjacent lots. 1973 #1797

110 S. Main, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Shiloh Community. Settlement of this area of Lavaca County began in the 1850s, when a group of about thirty families relocated here from Mississippi. The settlers named their new community Shiloh in honor of the church they had left in Mississippi. The majority of the new settlers were Methodists, and they soon built a combination church and school building. A group of German settlers, mostly of the Lutheran faith, began arriving in the 1880s. They shared worship space with the Methodists for a number of years, and in 1901 formally organized St. John Lutheran Church. Shiloh's St. John Lutheran Church merged with another Lutheran congregation in nearby Mixon Creek in 1922. Services continued in a new church building one mile west of this site. A community school was in operation in Shiloh from the 1850s until 1952, when students transferred to nearby Hallettsville. Local residents purchased the former schoolhouse in 1955 and converted it for community use, including memorial services, funerals, family gatherings, voting site, and other community activities. Together with the local Methodist and Lutheran cemeteries, it serves as a reminder of the area's pioneer heritage. #4682

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Vsetin Cemetery. About 1865, newly arrived Czechoslovakian immigrants settled in this vicinity, named Sublime by earlier Irish immigrants. The Czech settlers began calling the community "Vsetin" in remembrance of the area in Austria from which they came. After working as sharecroppers for several years, most earned enough money to purchase their own farms. The settlers soon established a Czech Moravian Bretheren Church congregation and constructed a school here. The favorable reports the settlers sent back to Austria inspired a group of their relatives to immigrate in 1880. The Vsetin Cemetery was founded ten years later. It originated as a private cemetery for the Mikush family, who had arrived with the second migration. The first burial, that of six-week-old Valentine, the infant son of Martin and Veronica (Stasny) Mikush, took place in 1890 when this property was part of a farm owned by Martin and Katerina Sralla. The graveyard later evolved into a community burial ground, and in 1927 the Vsetin Cemetery Association was established to maintain it. The Vsetin Cemetery continues to serve as a tangible reminder of the area's early permanent settlers. #5663

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
West-Wagner Homestead. Washington West and his wife Mary Willauer West moved their family from Tennessee in 1854 and settled in Lavaca County, Texas. Their home became a stagecoach stop which developed into the community of Old Sweet Home. The Wests' sons George, Ike and Sol drove longhorn cattle to markets in Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Montana and Wyoming from 1867-85. George married Catherine (Kittie) Searcy in 1874, and in 1875 built this Greek revival style home on family land. George West's ranching interests expanded to several south Texas counties. They moved to Live Oak County in 1880 and later established the town of George West on a portion of their 200,000 acre ranch. In 1883 George and Kittie West sold the Lavaca County homestead to Ike and Emma West, who sold it in 1891 to Frank and Anna Wagner. Natives of Czechoslovakia, the Wagners had lived at the West homestead doing ranch and farm work. Here they reared their six children, Frank Jr., Jim, John, Anton, Joe and Mary. In 1918 Frank and Anna Wagner deeded the homestead to their youngest son, Anton Wagner. His brother and sister, Joe and Mary, lived in the house until the 1950s. The West-Wagner homestead remains in the Wagner Family. (1997) #5764

?, Hallettsville, TX, United States