United States / La Vernia, TX

all or unphotographed
Concrete Cemetery. Encompassing 6.814 acres of land, Concrete Cemetery includes within its borders burials for both Anglo and Hispanic citizens of the La Vernia and New Berlin communities. The area surrounding the cemetery was called Concrete (formerly Bethesda). Local farmer and rancher James Henry Newton, who brought his family here from Mississippi about 1851-52, designated a portion of his property as a burial ground when his brother Joel died in 1856. The oldest recorded burial, that of Maria Madden Dial in 1855, indicates previous use as a graveyard. The community and cemetery were named for an 1858 concrete building used as a school, church and Masonic Hall. James Newton officially deeded a two-acre tract of land here in 1875 for use as a community cemetery. The first documented burial in the adjacent Hispanic section is that of Paulita Salazar in 1913. Additional donations of land were made by the descendants of J. G. and Jennie Scull. The graveyard contains a diverse collection of gravestones reflecting the historic communities it serves. Among the more than 800 burials here are pioneer settlers, infants and children, veterans and members of fraternal organizations. The site continues to serve the area. (1997) #11923

Concrete Cemetery, La Vernia, TX, United States

Subjects
Cibolo Crossing on the Gonzales Road. #16912

?, La Vernia, TX, United States

Albert Kosub House. -- #100

4.5 mi. W of LaVernia off FM 1346, La Vernia, TX, United States

Subjects
Charles Carl Winkler House. -- #812

FM 1346, La Vernia, TX, United States

Subjects
Claiborne Rector. Star and Wreath Served in the Battle of San Jacinto; Captain William H. Patton's Company. Erected by the State of Texas 1962 #897

?, La Vernia, TX, United States

Subjects
Bridge at McAlister Crossing (Mueller Bridge) (2/10 mi. SW). John Murphy McAlister (1807-1885) and his wife, Isabella (McClain) (1817-1872), settled in La Vernia with their family in the early 1850s. In 1857, they purchased several hundred acres of land on the southwest bank of Cibolo Creek. The natural stream crossing adjacent to their property became known as McAlister Crossing and for years served residents on both sides. The McAlister children subdivided the land following their father's death in 1885. About the same time, county commissioners designated the local route, including the crossing, as Road No. 62 (present County Road 337). In 1906, the Henry Mueller family purchased land on the east side of the creek; a son would later buy land on the west side, just southwest of McAlister Crossing. In 1908, county commissioners permitted the placement of telephone poles along the road and the creek crossing. In 1915, the Commissioners Court contracted with the Alamo Construction Company of San Antonio to erect five bridges in the county, including one at McAlister Crossing. The most expensive of the new structures, the bridge at McAlister Crossing, completed in 1915, cost nearly $9,000. Because members of the Mueller family owned property on either end of the bridge, it was often called Mueller Bridge. The three-span, 252-foot Mueller Bridge at McAlister Crossing features polygonal camelback trusses with multiple panels. For more than 70 years it served local residents, surviving Cibolo Creek's occasional raging waters. Closed to vehicular traffic in 1988, it remains a historic link to engineering designes of the early 20th century. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2004 #13258

FM 539, CR 337, La Vernia, TX, United States

Beall Cemetery. Beall Cemetery, located in the Young Perry Alsbury Survey, began as a family burial ground on the farm of early settlers Erasmus (Erastus) and Elizabeth Brinkley Beall, parents of six sons and four daughters. The Beall family migrated to Texas from Warren County, Georgia by 1853 and purchased land from San Antonio realtor John James and additional acreage from San Antonio banker John Twohig. The eldest son, William Henry Beall, passed away in 1854 and the family buried him at this site. Elizabeth Beall (d. 1869) and her granddaughter, Susan Emeline (d. 1871) were the last family members buried here; the gravesite of Erasmus Beall remains unknown. No other interments occurred here until the late 20th century. In 1981, land containing the cemetery transferred to Countryside Memorial Park, which officially incorporated the next year. Beall Cemetery, though small, now serves as a testament to the lives of a pioneer family and others who settled and lived in this area of Wilson County. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2005 #13572

FM 1346, Cemetery Ln, La Vernia, TX, United States

La Vernia. Established about 1846 or 1847 by Claiborne Rector, who built a stage stop and blacksmith shop here to serve travelers on the Chihuahua Road, a major trail in early Texas. Main Street today follows route of the old road. Settlement was called "Post Oak" until mail service started, 1856. Name was then changed to Spanish "La Verdear" because of many green oaks in area. English speakers called it "La Vernia". Like much of Texas, this area was settled by southerners in search of fertile land. In Civil War, La Vernia was a recruiting and officer training center. #3004

US 87, La Vernia, TX, United States

Subjects
Old Chihuahua Road. Mexican cart road from central Mexico to Texas Coast at Indianola. Route of marauding Indians as well as Alsatian, German, Polish, Irish immigrants seeking freedom in New World. After 1835 was important in gold and silver exporting; in 1850s for army travel. (1967) #3704

US 87, La Vernia, TX, United States

Kicaster Community. The families of Isaac Crow, R. T. Spivey, Dr. W. R. Callaway, T. P. Camp, J. E. Watkins, Isom Ferguson, L. B. Pittman, and others began a farming settlement here in the 1860s. John James donated land for a schoolhouse (1872), where church services were also held. A. C. and Mary Anderson in 1887 gave more land for public use. Easterling Post Office, opened in 1887, was soon renamed Kicaster for nearby creek, but closed in 1906. The school was phased out in 1940, and the churches moved away. Kicaster Cemetery, in use since the 1870s, now marks the site of the community. (1975) #2937

FM 3468, SW of LaVernia, La Vernia, TX, United States

La Vernia United Methodist Church. Earliest services of this church were held near here, at Bethesda, in 1853 by The Rev. J. S. McGee, a circuit rider. In 1876, La Vernia Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized with The Rev. John E. Vernor as pastor. By tradition the Masonic Hall housed services until 1881. Then trustees bought this site and erected a church building, which was destroyed by a storm five years later. Present church was built in 1887. The 85-year-old Post Oak Methodist Church (9 mi. NE) was merged with La Vernia in 1970. This church controls Post Oak Cemetery. (1976) #3005

Loop 321, La Vernia, TX, United States

Rector Chapel Cemetery. Rector Chapel Cemetery William Robert Wiseman (1816-1888) was a successful farmer and owned the first cotton gin in La Vernia. William Claiborne Rector (1805-1873), a hero of San Jacinto, farmed, served as postmaster and provided horses for the local stage line. The two men were close friends and together organized the Cibolo Presbyterian Church in 1852. Following Rector's death in 1873, a new chapel was built on Wiseman's farm; he named it after his good friend and, in 1877, set aside four acres "for church and burying purposes." The chapel was moved to La Vernia in 1891, but these gravestones remain, a record of La Vernia's rich heritage. Historic Texas Cemetery-2002 #12714

FM 2772, La Vernia, TX, United States

Subjects
Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery. This cemetery traces its beginnings to the formation of Immanuel Lutheran Church of La Vernia, which began in 1901. The congregation, mostly of German descent, soon found itself in need of a cemetery. In 1902, Gustav and Bertha Schroeder donated two acres of land to the church for that purpose. Members built a fence and held a formal dedication. The first burial was for Gabriele Hedwig Koepp, infant daughter of Franz and Augusta Koepp, in October 1902. Also buried here are early community and church leaders, and a number of military veterans from conflicts dating to World War I. The Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery Association began in 1980 and has remained active in maintaining and caring for the burial ground. The cemetery features German inscriptions, vertical stones and curbed plots. Enlarged with donations of additional land beginning in the 1960s, Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery remains an important link both to the history and the culture of this area. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2001 #13555

FM 1346, US 87, La Vernia, TX, United States

Applewhite Homestead. The family of Henry Applewhite (1630-1704), who sailed from England to Jamestown, Virginia, in 1656, remained in Virginia for several generations. Applewhite's descendant, Thomas Applewhite, was born in North Carolina in 1791 and served as a sergeant in the War of 1812. In 1842 Thomas married his second wife, Elizabeth Oglesby (1820-1898). The Applewhites, accompanied by eight slaves, moved to this area of Texas in 1853. They purchased 214 acres of farmland here in 1854 and by 1860 the Applewhites owned nine slaves, some of whom had taken the Applewhite name. According to local oral tradition, at one time the Applewhites' homestead may also have served as a brief stop for stagecoaches traversing the area along an alternate route of that part of the Chihuahua Road extending from Indianola to San Antonio. Thomas (d. 1864) and Elizabeth Applewhite are buried in La Vernia in Concrete Cemetery. A number of Applewhite families, the descendants of African Americans who established homes here during the 1860s, remained in the area for many generations. Thomas and Elizabeth Applewhite's original stone house was mostly destroyed during highway construction in the 1950s. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995 #13773

624 W. US Hwy 87, La Vernia, TX, United States

Brahan Lodge 226, A.F. & A.M.. Set to work U.D. June 23, 1858. Chartered June 16, 1859. Named for Dr. Robt. W. Brahan. John Rhodes King, first worshipful master. Members included veterans of Texas War for Independence, Mier Expedition, Mexican War, Indian campaigns. They quarried stone, hauled it to site by ox-cart, completed hall 1871. In it churches met; children were educated. Members served in every American war; in Civil War were in Hood's Texas Brigade, Terry's Texas Rangers, Parsons' Texas Cavalry, Cibolo Guards, Mustang Grays -- from Chickamauga to Atlanta to Mansfield to Appomatox. To Brahan Lodge veterans of that war this marker is dedicated: Robert Adams, Irvin H. Armstrong; Thos. H. Barry, James Edwin Beck, Haywood Brahan, Gen. Robt. W. Brahan, Emery C. Barker, M.A. Broach, Sanford Brown; Stephen T. Cook, R.B. Curry, H. Fournah, T.B. Fowler, Ed Frances; W.F. Gardner; Bennett Henderson, Connally F. Henderson, S.L. Herron, David H. Houston, Ross Houston, Russell Houston, J. Humphries; T.D. James, J.T. Johnson, John Rhodes King, W.A. King, Felix A. Knox, V.R. Knox; R.N. Leigh, Robt. Lenox; Levi Maddox, J.G. Maddox, Emil Morosa, Sam H. Milam, Wm. Morris, J.M. Morrison, R.G. Murray, Chas. A. McAlister, Sam W. McClain, Richard D. McGee, G.M. McKay; J.K. New, D.C. Newton, Jas. Newton, N.M. Newton, Wm. Northcraft; C.R. Patton; T.J.C. Reese; Jas. D. Sanders, Wm. D. Scull, J.A. Sharpless, Robt. Sharpless; J.W. Thompson, Eli Toole, Jas. M. Trainer; L.J. Vivian; J.E. Watkins, R.B. Watkins, John A. Wells, L.S. White, Hugh W. Wiseman, Wm. R. Wiseman; Henry Yelvington. (1965) #487

FM 775, La Vernia, TX, United States

Immanuel Lutheran Church. German immigrants settled in the nearby New Berlin community on Elm Creek in the 1870s and founded a congregation known as Christ Lutheran Church. After the arrival of the San Antonio and Gulf Railroad in 1893, many church members moved to La Vernia, and for a time they made the weekly journey back to New Berlin for worship services. In 1901, however, 20 families gathered to form a local congregation to serve German Lutherans in La Vernia, and they called the Rev. H. W. Schmidt as their first pastor. Immanuel Lutheran Church members worshiped at the Presbyterian church until their own building was completed on this site on Cibolo Creek in October 1901. An associated cemetery (2.1 mi. NW) began on donated land the following year. After Pastor Schmidt left in 1903, the church issued a joint call for a new pastor with Christ Lutheran Church, and this shared pastorate continued for many years. The congregation grew steadily under the leadership of the Rev. Nic Frueh, who served as pastor from 1911 until 1943. In 1932, due to deterioration and a violent storm, a new church building was erected to replace the original. During pastor Frueh's tenure, English language services were added and one member was ordained into the Lutheran ministry. Although damaging floods in 1913, 1973 and 1998 have proved challenging for the congregation, the members have sustained their various ministries and programs, including education and outreach. Immanuel Lutheran Church remains an important part of the ethnic and religious heritage of Wilson County. (2001) #12469

310 Seguin St., La Vernia, TX, United States

Suttles Pottery. Following the Civil War, two brothers, both Union veterans, moved from Zanesville, Ohio to Texas. Isaac Suttles (c. 1840-1884), who wed Mary Ann McBride in 1866, appears in the 1870 census for Seguin, where he worked at Wilson Potteries. Records indicate his wife may not have moved to Texas with him. His brother George Washington Suttles (1844-1930), who married Elizabeth Strate (1845-1905) in 1861, first appears in Wilson County records in 1877. They reportedly moved to Texas in 1876 for her health. George joined his brother at a kiln in the sand hills near La Vernia, where they fired bricks and household and decorative stoneware. An 1877 newspaper article highlighted the brothers' workmanship and noted the high demand for their products. Around 1882, they moved their operation into La Vernia to a kiln near this site. The Suttles were members of the Asbury Methodist Church, now La Vernia United Methodist Church. In September 1884, Isaac was killed in Abilene, Texas, possibly during a robbery attempt. George continued operating the kiln in La Vernia for many years. He and Elizabeth reared four children, and their descendants remain in the area. Few records exist about the Suttles Pottery operation in La Vernia, but firsthand accounts and archeological excavations, as well as ongoing investigations, indicate George had an updraft-type kiln and probably used a salt glaze, Albany slip techniques and perhaps an alkaline glaze technique in his work. His operation here would have included a clay mixing area, a potter's wheel, the kiln and waster piles of broken pottery sherds. Although no apparent physical evidence of the kiln remains, the Suttles operation was a significant part of La Vernia's past and of the history of Texas industry and artistry. (2004) #13047

13066 US 87W, La Vernia, TX, United States