United States / Longview, TX

all or unphotographed
David Sutton Meredith. #17301

705 Magrill St., Longview, TX, United States

Subjects
David Sutton Meredith, Jr.. #17302

705 Magrill St., Longview, TX, United States

Subjects
Jerusalem Baptist Church. #17300

1327 E. Cotton Street, Longview, TX, United States

Subjects
Noted Texas Leader, Developer, Conservationist, Carl L. Estes. (1896-1967) One of America's giants of journalism. Newsboy, reporter, advertising manager, foreign correspondent, editor-publisher. Born in New Market, Tenn.; came to Texas in youth. Founded Commerce "East Texan", 1919. Worked for Denison "Herald" and Tyler "Courier-Times" before his 1934 founding of "Texas Oil Journal" and purchase, Longview "Daily News" and "Morning Journal". Erected this building, 1935. Published annual special editions of 314 to 624 pages. Estes soon became the most powerful voice for East Texas. Dynamic, forceful, philanthropic-- firm but fair-- he devoted his keen abilities and showman's talents to conserving for human betterment the vast wealth of the East Texas oil field (largest in the world when it was discovered in the 1930's). He fought "hot oil" runners who risked future of entire great field for sake of immediate profits. He promoted highway and air travel facilities, expanded educational and medical resources, and land and water conservation. His work attracted into East Texas manufacturers whose payrolls and investments poured into economy of the area hundreds of millions of dollars. He was internationally known and respected. Fought in World Wars I and II. Married Margaret McLeod. Outstanding Texas Newspaper Publishers Series, 1967 #9947

314 E. Methvin St., Longview, TX, United States

First Baptist Church of Judson. In the 1870s the people of this community met in the Lawrenceville School for Christian worship services. Thirteen local Baptists organized their own church in 1883, continuing to meet in the school building. Founding member Georgia Whatley suggested the name Judson Missionary Baptist Church for a church she had attended in Lawrenceville, Alabama which was named in honor of Adoniram Judson (1788-1850), America's first foreign missionary. In 1886, the Judson Missionary Baptist Church began to support mission work. Members began to plan for their own house of worship in 1891. Georgia and Hiram Whatley donated a plot of land, and the structure was erected in 1894. Baptismal services were conducted in the creek east of the church after the yearly summer revival had taken place. The baptisms later were held on a member's property and then at nearby Whitehurst Lake. In the late 1890s H. A. Whatley gave one acre for a cemetery. Sunday School began in 1901, a ladies' auxiliary was formed in 1902, and the Baptist Young People's Union was organized at the Judson Church in 1924. A new church building was erected in 1935, and the church was able to hire its first full-time pastor in 1941. By 1900 Public School District No. 2, Gregg County, was known as Judson. In 1952, a U. S. Post Office opened in the community, taking the name Judson. The membership, many of them descendants of the pioneers of this part of Gregg County, numbered more than 260 in 1998. The congregation continues to be active in mission work and in service to the community of Judson. (1998) Incise on back: J. B. Baucum, Jr.; Mitchell Billingsley; B. M. Birdsong; Nellie Boyd; Louise Brelsford; E. T. & Martha Briley; Billy R. Cabbiness; Charles Davis; Dwayne Harris, Diane Hollis, Buck Jordan, Judson Lions Club; June Whatley Killingsworth; Jo Ann, Kethryn & Ray Landers; Kathryn McAfee; Thomas McAfee; Edwin McKnight; Jessie McKnight; Mattie Belle Reppond; Byron Roach; Sam Satterwhite; Judge Mickey Smith; Melvin Sparks; Larry Stokes; Harold Stone; Keith Stone; George Whatley; Robert Whatley; Wesley L. Whatley; Linda Whitehurst; Tommy Young. #11917

?, Longview, TX, United States

Saint Mark C. M. E. Church. First known as St. Mark Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, this congregation was organized by former slaves about 1867. Worship services were held in a brush arbor built at the present site of Magrill Park. The Rev. Robert A. Hagler served as first pastor, and under his leadership a two-story sanctuary was built in 1876-77. It was replaced by a new frame building in 1893. In 1954 the church name was changed to St. Mark Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. this site was acquired in 1972. Descendants of founding members still attend the church. #9994

1100 Sapphire St., Longview, TX, United States

Judge J. N. Campbell Home. Built 1872. Owned since 1885 by Judge J. N. Campbell and family. Kept open house for Texas judiciary, clery and young people. Negro string band played for dances. The judge's brother, Governor Thomas M. Campbell, was a frequent visitor. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #9937

433 S. Center St., Longview, TX, United States

Cherokee Trace. In 1821 near this site, Cherokee Indians blazed a trail from near Nacogdoches, Texas, to their home reservation at White River, Ark. They slashed trees, cleared path, planted "Cherokee" roses, and established camps at springs. Used by Sam Houston, friend of the Cherokees, on his move to Texas; by David Crockett, other soldiers of the Texas Revolution, and thousands of immigrants. After June 1839, when Texas settlers drove the Cherokees out of the state, the Indians departed over this trail; others traveled it for years thereafter. #9939

?, Longview, TX, United States

Subjects
Alpine Presbyterian Church. (Affiliated with Presbyterian Church, U.S.) Founded Dec. 2, 1881, by the Rev. J. DeWitt Burkhead, evangelist. Elders: L. P. and S. F. Henderson and Curtis Mackey. Deacon: J. L. Henderson. Other organizers: C. N. and Mmes. T. C. and Mary Henderson; Miss Mattie and Mrs. R. J. Mackey; Mrs. R. J. williams, all from Longview church. Also Miss Alice, W. M., R. T., and W. H. Henderson, H. G. Lampkin, R. O. Mackey, Miss L. J. Mattox, by professions of faith. Services were held in Tyron School. Members built church in 1885. The new church adjacent was dedicated in 1964. Reached largest membership (122) in 1967. #9932

4102 Tryon Rd., Longview, TX, United States

Bethel Baptist Church. The Rev. Richard Perry and nine deacons organized this church in 1874. Services were held under a brush arbor on land donated by the Rev. Perry and his wife Betty until a sanctuary was erected later that year. A Sunday School was formed in 1875. A new church building was erected in 1884 and in 1890 a women's missionary society and a youth association were formed. A new sanctuary, built in 1906, was replaced by a fourth sanctuary erected here in 1956. A junior missionary society was organized in 1958. The church continues to serve the area's african American community. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995 #9933

323 S. Court St., Longview, TX, United States

Old Fredonia Townsite. The community of Fredonia was founded by Haden Edwards, a land grantee who contracted in 1825 with the Mexican government to establish 800 families of settlers in East Texas. A later misunderstanding with Mexico caused him to organize the famous Fredonian Rebellion and flee to the U.S. in 1827 in failure. The town of Fredonia prospered, though, as an important ferry crossing and river port. The numerous structures built by residents included a brick kiln, homes and warehouses, mainly for cotton. After the Civil War, the population declined and the post office closed. Residents abandoned the town after it was bypassed by the railroad circa 1870. (1967, 2005) #9959

?, Longview, TX, United States

Dundee Angus Ranch Home, 1859. Built by a pioneer physician, Dr. J. N. Allison, who brought some materials from Virginia. Bricks made by slave labor from clay on building site. Located nearby is Lathrop Discovery Oil Well, extending famous East Texas field. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964 #9945

3401 Dundee Rd., Longview, TX, United States

Site of Earpville. This site was once within the boundary of the community of Earpville, settled in the late 1840s by James Earp (d. 1861) and many of his relatives from Alabama. Located on a stagecoach line, the settlement at its height boasted a post office, stage stop, Methodist church, and retail businesses and was the commercial and social center for farmers in the region. Part of James Earp's original homesite was sold to the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1870. It became the site of the new town of Longview and signaled the decline of Earpville. (1989) #9946

1107 E. Marshall Ave., Longview, TX, United States

Everett Building. Built in 1910 to house the Citizens National Bank, this structure is the only example of classical revival commercial architecture in Longview. Designed by noted architect and educator Samuel J. Blocker, the Everett Building was constructed by Gladewater and Longview businessman and civic leader Lafayette Johnson Everett. Outstanding features of the building include its rounded bay and recessed main entrance. through the years, the Everett Building has housed numerous banks and professional offices and is part of the heritage of Longview's business community. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #9948

214-216 N. Freedonia St., Longview, TX, United States

Finch Family Home. Early Victorian cottage built 1898 by John Finch on site of family's log cabin. Descendents active in community life. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #9949

2024 E. Cotton St., Longview, TX, United States

Delta Drilling Company. In response to the East Texas oil boom, Delta Drilling Company was founded in 1931 by Bob Stacy, Sam Dorfman, and Joseph Zeppa. Originally housed in an apartment at this site, the firm moved to Tyler in 1937. Delta drilled many of the oil wells that brought wealth to this part of the state and soon expanded over much of the western hemisphere and into parts of Africa and Europe. The enterprise now includes gas processing plants, exploration and production divisions, and has become a technological leader in land-based drilling operations. #9944

107 E. Whaley St., Longview, TX, United States

First Methodist Church of Longview. This congregation traces its history to 1845, when a one-room log meeting house was erected nearby for a church, school and town hall. The church was served by circuit-riding ministers until 1850. The congregation moved to Earpville on the Stagecoach Road in 1860 and moved their church building to Longview in 1874 after the arrival of the railroad. the church has grown steadily over the years and has erected several new buildings to serve its members and expanding programs. The church continues to serve the area as it has for more than 150 years. (1997) #9953

400 N. Fredonia St., Longview, TX, United States

First Presbyterian Church of Longview. This church was established by nine resident members of the Old School Southern Presbyterian Church as a mission in the new town of Longview in 1872. The first church building was erected on land donated by the Texas and Pacific Railroad in 1874. The Rev. James H. Wiggins was installed as the first full-time pastor. The congregation helped establish two mission churches in the area by 1894. A new church building was constructed in 1900 and a third at this site in 1940. The congregation continues to sponsor outreach and missionary programs in Longview and in other parts of the world. #9955

301 N. Center St., Longview, TX, United States

Martin Hays. (1883-1958) Respected Longview citizen. Married Clara Harris, daughter of Gregg County pioneer family. Active in civic affairs, first elected to public office, 1910, as city marshall and district clerk. County sheriff 1924-1932. Seldom carried a gun-- enforced law in a soft-spoken manner. Was among first Texas sheriffs to organize junior deputies. Member, First Baptist Church, a Royal Arch Mason; and Woodman of the World. #9965

?, Longview, TX, United States

Site of James S. Hogg Newspaper. Texas' first native governor (1891-1895), James Stephen Hogg, founded here in 1871 his first newspaper, the Longview "News". He was then 20 years old. In his paper Hogg was a strong supporter of educational and governmental improvements for Longview. He campaigned against radical reconstruction policies, railroad subsidies, lawlessness. This venture, following earlier apprentice news work, showed Hogg's alertness, self-confidence. He was a publisher for 3 years. This experience developed his qualities of leadership and led to later success as a statesman. #9966

102 N. Fredonia St., Longview, TX, United States

Former Site of Longview High School. The first public school offering high school classes in Longview was built in 1880. A larger school building was erected in 1884 to accommodate an expanded student enrollment. The Longview Senior High School Complex, constructed at this location in 1929, was converted to a junior high school in 1932 after an area-wide oil boom contributed to a doubling of the student enrollment and the decision to build a new high school structure on East Whaley Street. successful bond elections in 1972 and 1986 led to the construction of the Longview High School Complex at Airline Road and Loop 281. #9979

410 S. Green St., Longview, TX, United States

Robert Gilmour LeTourneau. (November 30, 1888 - June 1, 1969) A native of Richford, Vermont, Robert G. LeTourneau built his first industrial plant in Stockton, California, in 1921. A self-educated man, he invented and pioneered the use of components now standard in many types of construction equipment. The LeTourneau Company, manufacturers of equipment for heavy construction, mining, logging, land clearing, and offshore oil drilling, eventually operated plants in California, Illinois, Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas. Much of LeTourneau's personal time, energy, and fortune were spent in promoting the LeTourneau Foundation and Charitable Ministries, a worldwide Christian missionary effort he founded in 1935. During World War II, seventy percent of the earth-moving equipment used by U. S. Armed Forces was built by the LeTourneau Company. Following the war, R. G. LeTourneau moved to Longview, where he opened an industrial plant and founded LeTourneau Technical Institute, the forerunner of LeTourneau University. LeTourneau became an influential business and civic leader in Longview, and was instrumental in much of the city's economic development. He was the recipient of many high honors, and is remembered as a highly-regarded citizen of Longview. #9974

?, Longview, TX, United States

Longview. Named for "long view" from Rock Hill when surveyors laid off townsite in 1870. Incorporated June 24, 1871. Became county seat of Gregg County; also railroad, agricultural and lumber center. Its history includes an 1894 bank robbery-- the last raid of the notorious "Dalton Gang". Early home of Governors Thomas M. Campbell and James S. Hogg. Since nearby 1931 Lathrop Well extended East Texas oil field into world's largest, it has been a petroleum, financial, industrial, medical, cultural, religious hub. Home of LeTourneau College. Historic sites marked. #9977

?, Longview, TX, United States

Longview Community Center. Soon aster organizing in 1934 Longview's federation of Women's Clubs began raising funds for a community center. The Federation produced matching funds for an appropriation of the Gregg County commissioners court to build this structure in 1940. It houses an auditorium, foyer, kitchen, two dining rooms, and a drawing room. It is an excellent example of the moderne style and features vertically banded windows with circular accents and a simplified cornice and entablature. The site of numerous activities, the center continues to provide space for important community functions. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994 #9978

500 E. Whaley St., Longview, TX, United States

O. H. Methvin. (March 10, 1815 - February 9, 1882) Georgia native O. H. Methvin came to Texas about 1848 with his wife Margaret and his father, Richard R. Methvin. They settled on land in Upshur County which would later become a part of Gregg County. In 1870 Methvin gave 100 acres of land to the Southern Pacific Railroad to found the city of Longview. The town became the county seat when Gregg County was organized in 1873. O. H. and Margaret Methvin were the parents of three sons. #9982

?, Longview, TX, United States

New Providence Cemetery. This cemetery was associated with the New Providence Missionary Baptist Church, which was founded in the 1880s. The first documented burial was of W. E. Newton in 1896. In 1903 the church was damaged by a windstorm, struck by lightning and later burned to the ground. Without a church building, the congregation disbanded. It was briefly reorganized in 1921 to maintain the cemetery, but broke up again in 1925. Five of the 58 graves are unmarked. Among those buried here are veterans of five wars, a former county judge and a former district judge. #9984

2000 Judson Rd., Longview, TX, United States

Northcutt House. This residence was constructed in 1902 by the Rev. W. B. Allen for Dr. William Davis Northcutt (1861-1931). A prominent Longview physician and mayor of the city for four terms, Dr. Northcutt played a vital role in the development of the area through his active civic leadership. The Queen Anne style of his home features an elaborate two-level wraparound veranda and fishscale shingling. After Dr. Northcutt's death, the residence remained in the family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #9985

313 S. Fredonia St., Longview, TX, United States

Peatown Christian Church. This church traces its history to a Disciples of Christ congregation (Christian Union Church) organized near Camden in 1852. When that church disbanded during the early 1870s, its members formed new congregations in other places. The Peatown Christian Church was organized in 1871 with twelve charter members. It drew families from the ante bellum settlement of Edwardsville, commonly known as Peatown, and neighboring rural communities. Its members worshiped in the old Christian Union Church building for over 50 years and held baptisms in the nearby spring. #9986

?, Longview, TX, United States

Oliver H. Pegues. (November 27, 1847 - March 30, 1937) Descendant of a Huguenot family who migrated to america in 1736, Oliver H. Pegues came to Texas with his parents from his native Mississippi in 1850. He moved to Longview in 1871 and became the town's first postmaster, Jan. 27, 1871. Pegues served as Gregg County Treasurer, 1875-1900. A merchant and banker, he was an early leader of the First Baptist Church. He was married first to Henrie Dyer (d. 1887) and later to Emma Overton (1856-1929), and had 8 children. #9987

?, Longview, TX, United States

Pine Tree Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Organized in 1847. First church in Gregg County; one of oldest in Texas in continuous service. Named for large pine tree (now removed) under which services were held and where Mrs. A. T. Castleberry taught the first Sunday School class. Charter members were Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Soloman Awalt; Messrs. and Mmes. A. T. Castleberry, J. T. Echols, Jesse Freeze, Benj. Fuller, John Rodden and Milton Starnes; J. W. Barnes and James R. White. First church was a log house; present structure built 1932; the educational building, 1950. #9988

1850 Pine Tree Rd. (FM 1845), Longview, TX, United States

John Tyson Smith. (Oct. 29, 1846 - May 15, 1916) In 1855 Alabama-born John Tyson Smith moved with his parents to Upshur County, Texas. A Confederate veteran, he settled in Longview about 1872. He served as city tax assessor and was justice of the peace for two terms. He was elected to five terms as Gregg County judge, 1888-1898. Actively involved in downtown real estate development, he ran the Smith Upstairs Opera House, 1902-1915. Married twice, smith had six children who lived to adulthood. #9999

?, Longview, TX, United States

Early Teague Home. One of few remaining houses of Earpville (early Longview). North boundary of tract on Wm. t. Brooks' stagecoach line from Monroe, La. to Tyler, Texas. Built before 1882, when it was purchased by Latimus and Mary Teague, natives of Alabama. Two daughters, Misses Molly and Sarah Teague, held school sessions and taught music here beginning 1890. Classes moved to separate building where they continued until 1905. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966 #10000

322 Teague St., Longview, TX, United States

Turner Home. Built in 1874, two years after town was established. A fireplace in each room, a stairway of carved walnut. Builder J. C. Turner, Sr., was first East Texan to import jersey cattle. Skilled horseman, thoroughbred owner. Old well and dairy house nearby. #10001

503 E. Methvin St., Longview, TX, United States

Winterfield Methodist Church. This church traces its origin to Methodist camp meetings held here in the farm community of Winterfield as early as the 1870s. The site of the camp meetings, which drew settlers from Gregg, Upshur, and Harrison counties, was set aside in the early 1880s for worship purposes. Two small 1880s church buildings, sanctuaries erected here in 1929 and 1957, and other facilities including an education building have served the church. The congregation sponsors a number of outreach programs and activities and continues to provide civic and religious leadership for the community. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995 #10004

2616 Tryon Rd., Longview, TX, United States

F. L. Whaley House. Constructed in 1871 for hardware merchant Franklin L. Whaley and his wife Mary Caroline Rogers, this was one of the earliest homes built in Longview. Five generations of the Whaley family have lived here. Built in a central hall configuration with lumber cut on the site, the structure features gabled pavilions, three dormers above the front porch, fine milled wood details, and elaborate jigsawn balustrade and piers. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964 #10005

101 E. Whaley St., Longview, TX, United States

Harmon General Hospital Chapel. Authorized by the U. S. Army n 1942 and named for Col. Daniel Warrick Harmon, Harmon General Hospital was in operation from November 1942 to December 1945. This ecumenical chapel opened in January 1943. Protestant, Catholic and Jewish clergy served here. The hospital property was acquired by the Le Tourneau Foundation in 1946 for use as a college. Despite several years as a storage facility, the chapel retained enough of its original fabric for renovation in the late 1950s and again in 1983 when it was formally named Speer Chapel. The structure remains a well-preserved vernacular chapel. Its notable features include a front-facing gabled roof, center projecting entrance with the roof below a central steeple, and wood sash windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997 #11918

?, Longview, TX, United States

Longview Municipal Building and Central Fire Station. Longview Municipal Building and Central Fire Station The city of Longview was incorporated in 1871, and there is evidence of a volunteer fire department as early as 1887. A new city hall complex with fire station was constructed in 1905, but the 1930s East Texas oil boom and subsequent population explosion in Longview made the offices too small. In 1935, voters approved the issuance of bonds for the construction of a new municipal building and central fire station. Contractor A. M. Campbell completed this building in 1936. Combining Neoclassical and Mediterranean architectural influences popular at the time, the structure features a red tile roof and fossilized limestone veneer. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2001 #12759

100 E. Cotton St., Longview, TX, United States

Pleasant Green Baptist Church. Following the Civil War, emancipated slaves established the Freedmen's community of Pleasant Green. On December 20, 1871, pastors Henry Moses and Charles Anderson led local residents in organizing a Baptist congregation. The Rev. Henry Mass served as the church's first pastor. Originally meeting on a small farm, the congregation moved to this site in 1884, constructing a frame sanctuary. Simon and Mealy Claiborn deeded the property to the church. In 1909, the congregation built a larger house of worship to which it made additions throughout the 20th century. Today, the church remains a central part of the historic African American community, fostering education and spirituality. (2004) #13059

9270 FM 349, Longview, TX, United States

Grable Cemetery. M.H. Graybill acquired land here in 1888. He set aside a tract to be used as a burial ground for local African American sharecroppers and their families. In 1910, Graybill (the cemetery spelling changed over time) sold this tract of land to the people of the area's African American communities, many of whom were former slaves or descendants of slaves. Since that time, residents have maintained the burial ground, which is managed by a cemetery association. The earliest marked graves date to the early 1900s, and unique features include rows of white crosses denoting burial sites of former slaves. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2003 #13060

?, Longview, TX, United States

Subjects
The Grove. The Grove The Grove was a natural timber stand within what became Longview in 1870. Tradition holds that the area's freedmen gathered in the Grove for worship services as early as the 1860s. In 1871, John R. Magrill sold the one-acre grove tract to the town's African American population. Acting on their behalf were O.J. Taylor, Silas Billup and Alick Berry. Over the years, the Grove was an important gathering place for the local African American community. Efforts in the 1930s to acquire the land for oil production failed due to confusion over the title, and the city later adopted the land for use as a park, now known as Magrill Plaza. (2003) #12967

600 N. Green, Longview, TX, United States

Hogg's Newspaper, Site of. #14907

102 N. Fredonia, Longview, TX, United States

Longview Womack High School. #16967

?, Longview, TX, United States

Subjects
Summerfield Methodist Church. #16965

7078 Tryon Rd, Longview, TX, United States

Subjects
Brown-Birdsong House. Victorian home built 1879 by early settler, Rev. B. W. Brown, Methodist lay minister, who as a member of the Texas Legislature helped to create Gregg County in 1873. Only minor changes such as porch lattice. Residence of Mrs. Lawrence Birdsong. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #9935

3411 Morrison Street, Longview, TX, United States

Edwards Cemetery. This site was used as a graveyard for settlers of this area as early as the mid-1850s. The earliest recorded burial here was that of the infant Josephine Rucker in 1855. The cemetery is named for James William Cartwright Edwards (1836-1913), who with his parents John King and Elizabeth Billings Edwards, moved to Texas from Tennessee about 1850. James acquired 1.6 acres, which included this graveyard, for use as a family cemetery in 1912. His daughter, Margie, fenced a part of the cemetery in 1956 and set up a trust fund for its upkeep before her death in 1962. #11308

?, Longview, TX, United States

Lewis-Bivins House. This house was constructed in 1885 or 1895 for local merchant B. F. Lewis and his wife, E. A. Lewis. In 1905 the Lewises sold their home to James Knox Bivins, a Confederate veteran and lumberman, who presented the deed to his wife Viola (Cobb) as a gift. The Bivins family moved to Longview to be close to his sawmill in the nearby Talley community. Viola Bivins restored the structure in 1941 with an inheritance from her father. The Lewis-Bivins house is among the last Victorian dwellings in Longview. The structure exhibits mixed folk Victorian elements with cornice returns, spindlework porch balusters and decorative porch post brackets. A simple folk form with Queen Anne accents, the design remains largely intact. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1999 #11678

208 E. College St., Longview, TX, United States

Campbell "Honeymoon Home". Thomas Mitchell Campbell (1856-1923), a native of Rusk, worked in the Gregg County clerk's office in Longview before becoming a lawyer in 1878, the same year he married Fannie Bruner. This small frame cottage served as their first home. Campbell was later a railroad executive before serving two terms as Governor of Texas, 1907-1911. The Campbell's former home was moved here from its original location (across Second Street) in 1982. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #9938

500 N. Second St., Longview, TX, United States

Rockwall Farm. Large colonial home built 50 yards north, 1854. Overnight stop on Wm. T. Brooks' stagecoach line from Monroe, La., to Tyler. From here, mail went to Earpville, a site now in Longview. Slaves hewed lumber, made the chimney brocks from trees and clay on the place. The first floor partitions folded away to make big ballroom. The black walnut coffin built for house owner John Harris was favored table for poker upstairs. Last owners, J. Roy Sparkman and Jack Castleberry families, restored, opened to visitors. House burned in 1952. #9992

?, Longview, TX, United States

General John Gregg. (1828-1864) Star and Wreath Born Alabama. Came to Texas 1854. Judge, Confederate congressman. Organized 7th Texas Infantry as colonel 1861. Captured at Fort Donelson, Tenn. 1862. Promoted brigadier general after exchange. Commanded brigade Vicksburg Campaign 1863. Severely wounded Battle of Chickamauga Oct. 1863. Returning to action 1864 led Hood's Texas Brigade in heavy fighting in Virginia. Killed in action near Richmond, Oct. 7, 1864. A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy; erected by the State of Texas 1963 Texas Secession Convention This meeting, which had John Gregg as a key member, was extra-legal governing body of delegates from over Texas, held January-March 1861. Drew up secession ordinance - ratified by 3 to 1 popular vote. Selected delegates to convention of southern states in Montgomery, Ala. Declared office of Anti-secessionist governor Sam Houston vacant, putting in Lt. Governor Edward Clark. Ratified C.S.A. Constitution. Raised troops to seize U. S. property, getting $3,000,000 worth by surrender. Placed troops at outposts to protect frontier. #9961

?, Longview, TX, United States

Longview Junction. This community originated in the 1870s with the junction of the Texas & Pacific and International & Great Northern Railroad tracks. Churches, residences, hotels, restaurants, businesses, boardinghouses, and school developed in the area to accommodate workers and travelers. A mule powered street railway system operated from 1883 to 1912 to facilitate transportation between downtown Longview and the junction. Annexed to the city of Longview in 1904, Longview Junction remained an identifiable community until automobiles provided greater mobility. #9980

901 E. Pacific St., Longview, TX, United States