Open Plaques
United States

Malone, TX

See unphotographed plaques

Nophotosqr

German Settlers in Hill County. Germans first came to Texas in 1821, immigrated by the hundreds in the 1840s, and in the 1880s began to move into Hill County. Here land was made available by such earlier settlers as G. W. McNeese, the Savage family, A. D. Walling, the Whites, the Worleys. First to arrive (1882) were Fritz Lentz and Alex Radke. Later came families named Degner, Dietz, Gehrels, Gehring, Geltmeier, Hodde, Huse, Kaddatz, Kelm, Klein, Klinkert, Krueger, Kunkel, Maas, Manske, Manthei, Meyer, Neumann, Piel, Reinke, Schronk, Schulz, Sonnenberg, Schmidt, Steffer, Strauch, and Zettler. Pastor J. C. Rieger came from west (16 miles southwest) and held church services in settlers' homes. Salem Lutheran Congregation was organized with 15 charter members on June 6, 1886, and erected a church building three months later. St. Peters Lutheran Church was founded July 1, 1906, at Walling with nine charter members. Religious leaders (some of whom also taught in the Parochial school) have included pastors Bartel, Finke, Gaertner, Heinmeier, Hodde, Hopmann, Kramer, Liefer, Machina, Oertel, Seils, Walters, and Wunderlich. By diligence and thrift, these people made garden spots of their farms; and with love of God, of family, and of music, they created a goodly heritage. #2176

?, Malone, TX, United States
#2176 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

Salem Lutheran Church. This church reflects the rich German heritage of this area of Hill County. German immigrants, who settled first in Washington County, began moving here in the 1880s. On June 6, 1886, fifteen families joined together to organize the Salem Lutheran Congregation. The Rev. J. C. Rieger of West held worship services in homes until completion of the first building. Salem community, which the church first served, was a forerunner of nearby Malone. For over a century, Salem Lutheran Church has led in the area's educational and religious development. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #4497

?, Malone, TX, United States
#4497 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

The Savage Schools. Three schools in this area were referred to as Savage School. The first, built on land donated by George W. Savage in 1885, was a one-room facility where classes were scheduled around students' farm work. The second, built in the Walling community, closed in 1920 after its students began attending class at the original Savage School, which had moved into larger quarters at this site. The third, Savage Colored School, served black students in the area until they transferred to Pelham School in nearby Navarro County. The last Savage School closed in 1950. #5425

?, Malone, TX, United States
#5425 of the Texas Historical Marker series
Nophotosqr

George Washington Savage born on march 14, 1826, in Tennessee, George Savage was an early pioneer in Hill County. After moving to Texas in 1847 with his first wife Sarah, they established a farm to breed race horses. He was a successful horse trainer and a Confederate cavalry soldier. He assisted German immigrants by selling parcels of land and helping them start farms. In 1885 Savage donated land for Savage School No. 1, the first school in the area. In the late 1880s, he donated land for a second school in the burgeoning community. Upon his death on April 11, 1899, he left behind his second wife Annie and ten children. George Savage is remembered for helping populate Hill County and providing opportunities for German settlers. #16406

?, Malone, TX, United States
#16406 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Data about Malone, TX plaques as XML JSON KML GMAP