United States / Menard, TX

all or unphotographed
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Puerto de Baluartes (Haven of the Strong Points). In this pass between the hills--location of present day Menard--a site for an important Spanish mission to the Apaches was chosen in 1754 by Don Pedro de Rabago y Teran, second explorer sent on the assignment by the viceroy of New Spain. Suitable to be fortified and farmed, this pass had its mission built in 1757. #4136

US 83, 1 mi. S of Menard, Menard, TX, United States

Arroyo de juan lorenzo, menard, texas historical marker (7828876946)
Arroyo de Juan Lorenzo. Name used by Spaniards of Presidio de San Saba (in existence from 1757 to 1770) for this stream now called Celery Creek. Stone to build Presidio was quarried from bluffs along the creek, and deep banks let hostile Indians approach undiscovered, to attack the Presidio, half a mile to the southwest. #211

US 90 at Celery Creek Bridge, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Frisco Depot. Seeking a rail line to speed marketing of their livestock, residents of this area in 1909 asked the Ft. Worth & Rio Grande Railroad, a branch of the Frisco System, to extend track from Brady (40 miles northeast) to Menardville. Ranchers donated right of way, while townspeople erected this depot and shortened the town's name to "Menard". Celebrations marked the arrival of the first train, Feb. 10, 1911, and completion of this mission revival station, July 4, 1911. The Santa Fe system later acquired the line. After rail service ended in 1972, this building became a historical museum. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark--1978 #2068

N of juc. US 190 & 83, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Menard County. Formed from Bexar county Created: January 22, 1858 Organized: June 25, 1866 Named in honor of Michel Branamour Menard 1805-1856. Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, member of the Texas Congress, founder of Galveston. Menard, the county seat. #3328

US 83, N of Menard, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba. This building was originally built as a presidio or fort and the Mission was apart from it. After the Mission was attacked and burned by Indians, all personnel moved into the presidio. #3417

Off US 190 at Menard Country Club, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Sentry Building. Officer-of-the-day station and sentry post on north road to Fort Concho. Constructed 1852, by 8th infantry; Fort McKavett provided protection for settlers from Indians. Guadalupe River cypress with native limestone. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark--1968 #4642

US 190, W of Menard at Fort McKavett, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Pegleg Crossing on the San Saba. An hourglass-shaped pass through the hills were McDougal Creek joins San Saba River. For years a favored Indian campground, it entered written history, 1732, as site of Spanish-Apache battle. Saw passage of adventurers, mustang hunters, Indian fighters, German settlers, gold-seekers. Probably named by landowner Wilhelm Harlen for one-legged land commissioner T.W. Ward. Crossing became station on stage line. Gained notoriety for many hold-ups that occurred at "Robbers' Roost" (1 mile west). Pegleg served in later era as crossing on Great Western Cattle Trail. #3976

SH 29, about 10 mi. SE of Menard, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Pioneer Rest Cemetery. Burial plot was begun by Adam Bradford, who buried his father, Jack Bradford, here in 1863. As the town and cemetery grew, the city bought the tract from Mrs. Gustav E. Schleicher in 1904. Fence surrounding cemetery was built of stone from the old courthouse and jail, razed in 1931, and reputed to have been in the original structure of nearby San Luis de Las Amarillas (Built by the Spanish in 1757). Final resting place for many area pioneers, including soldiers, cowboys, gamblers, preachers, civil war veterans, Indian fighters, and Texas Rangers. #4032

US 83, S side of Menard, Menard, TX, United States

San saba 3
Real Presidio de San Saba. Originally established on the San Gabriel River as the Presidio of San Francisco Xavier in 1751 moved to the present site in 1757 as a protection to the Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba known as the Presidio de San Luis de Las Amarillas 1757-1761. After March 1761 the name was real Presidio de San Saba the stone building was completed in 1761. #4212

US 190, at Menard Country Club, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Sacred Heart Catholic Church. Roman Catholic worship services were held in Menard as early as 1872, when J.J. Callan set aside this lot of land for the construction of a Catholic Church Building. Visiting priests held occasional services in various homes and in the courthouse until 1899, when this building was constructed under the direction of the Rev. P. Beaudrillard for Sacred Heart Parish. The Gothic Revival Building features native stone and lancet windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1984 #4431

Canal & Bevans Streets, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Jones, Sheriff John L. #15424

?, Menard, TX, United States

Subjects
Fort mckavett 3
Site of Fort McKavett. Established March 14, 1852 by the United States war department as a protection to frontier settlers against hostile Indians. Named in honor of Captain Henry McKavett, who fell at the Battle of Monterrey, September 21, 1846. Evacuated by federal troops, March 22, 1859. Reoccupied April 1, 1868. Abandoned June 30, 1883. #4795

FM 864 at Fort McKavett, off US 190, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Puerto De Baluartes. #14333

?, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Fort McKavett, C.S.A.. Located 21 miles west. Upon secession, Confederate cavalry occupied this post to give protection against Indians. Early in 1862 this fort confined group of Union troops from surrendered U.S. forts who were seeking to leave the state at start of Civil War. Permanent personnel left the post in April 1862 when the frontier defense line was pulled back more than 60 miles east. However scouting parties and patrols of confederate and state troops used the fort intermittently in aggressive warfare to keep Indians near their camps and away from settlements and to check on invasion by Union forces. Usually supplying their own mounts, guns and sustenance, these men guarded the frontier until war's end. Texas had 2000 miles of coastline and frontier to defend from Union attack, Indian raids, marauders. Defense lines were set to give maximum protection with the few men left in the state. One line stretched from El Paso to Brownsville. Another had posts set a day's horseback ride apart from Red River to the Rio Grande. Fort McKavett and other U.S. forts used by scouting parties lay in a line between. Behind these lines and to the east organized militia, citizens' posses from nearby settlements backed the Confederate and state troops to curb Indian raids. A memorial to Texans who served the confederacy Erected by the State of Texas 1963 #1998

Canal and Gay St., on Courthouse lawn, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Paseo de la Santa Cruz. #14530

?, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Paso de la Santa Cruz. Spot where in 1753 Juan Galvan, Spanish explorer, put up a huge cross, to show his choice of site for Mission San Saba. Indians gathered at the cross, remaining to participate in the first known Christian worship service in this area. The Mission, 2 miles east, and the River ford were both named for the cross. #3952

US 190/83 intersection, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Menard County. #14262

?, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Irrigation Ditch. #14451

?, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ditch, The. #14511

?, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Menard County Courthouse. #14993

?, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Menard County. #14973

?, Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Mission Santa Cruz De San Saba. #15104

?, Menard, TX, United States

3764743890 70a06a4e45 m
The Ditch. The Vaughn Agricultural and Mechanical Canal Company was chartered in 1874 by William J. Vaughn, President; William Tipton, Director; and James H. Comstock, Director and Secretary. Major H.M. Holmes was appointed attorney. Irrigation for 2,000 acres of valley land and power for grist mills are furnished by gravity flow from San Saba River. Use of "The Ditch," running from 5 miles above town to 5 below, began in 1876. Vaughn sold his controlling interest to Gus Noyes in 1886. Since 1905 "The Ditch" has been operated by Menard Irrigation Company, using the original dam. (1972) #12

US 83 at Canal St., Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bank of Menard, 1903. Built of native stone for settlers then keeping money in merchants' safes or riding 60 robber-infested miles to do banking. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964. #297

Bevans & San Saba St., Menard, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Site of Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba. Founded among the Lipan Apache Indians by Franciscan Missionaries in 1757 through the financial aid of the Count of Regla. Sacked and left in ruins by the Comanches in 1758. Here perished Padres Alonso Giraldo de Terreros and Jose Santiesteban, martyrs to the Christian cause. #4835

FM 2092, E of Menard, Menard, TX, United States