Open Plaques

Unphotographed plaques in Pottsboro, TX

8 results

NophotosqrBlack plaque № 24017 in Pottsboro, TXPreston Road/Shawnee Trail. In 1840, authorized by an 1838 act of the Congress of the Republic of Texas, Col. W. G. Cooke and the Texas First Infantry Regiment laid out a military road from Austin north through what became Dallas to the Holland Coffee Trading Post on Red River (later covered by Lake Texoma). Coffee developed the town of Preston near the trading post, and Cooke's military route became known as Preston Road between the Red River and Dallas. Immigrants came from Missouri and Arkansas through Indian Territory (Oklahoma) into Texas along Preston Road. In one six-week period in 1845, roughly 1,000 wagons crossed the river into Texas. From the mid-1850s the road marked the route for Texas' first cattle drive. Later known as the Shawnee Trail, it probably was named for a Native American village called Shawneetown north of what became Denison. Cattle swam the Red River at Rock Bluff Crossing, a natural rock formation that served as a chute into the water, later the site of the city of Sherman's water intake station on Lake Texoma. This remained the principal route to the north for Texas cattle until the Civil War. The last large herds moved through Grayson County in 1871. The old route remains visible at Rocky Point on Lake Texoma, and along Hanna Drive. The overall passage is followed by parts of Preston Road in Grayson County, a farm-to-market road and State Highway Route 289, and Preston Road in Dallas. (1998) #11910
NophotosqrBlack plaque № 23649 in Pottsboro, TXGeorge R. Reeves. (Jan. 3, 1826-Sept. 5, 1882) Man for whom 2600-sq. mi. West Texas county was named. Born in Tennessee. Married Jane Moore in 1844 in Arkansas. Came to Texas about 1845. Was Grayson County tax collector, 1848-1850; sheriff, 1850-1854. Served as State Representative, 1855-1861. Commissioned Confederate army officer, 1863. Participant in Battle of Chickamauga and Hundred Days Atlanta Campaign. Returned to Legislature, 1873. Speaker of the House, 1881-1882. Recorded, 1967 #11525
NophotosqrBlack plaque № 19652 in Pottsboro, TXPottsboro. Caddo and Wichita Indian tribes occupied this area before Anglo settlement began in the 19th century. Among the early settlers was James G. Thompson, whose daughter, Sarah Virginia, married James A. Potts (1838-1905), a Confederate veteran, rancher, and land developer who moved to Grayson County in 1868. Recovering from a long construction delay caused by the Civil War, railroads began building lines through this area of Texas in the late 1870s. James and Sarah Potts deeded land for a right-of-way to the Denison and Pacific Railway, a subsidiary of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad, in 1878. James Potts is credited with drawing up the plat for the new railroad town named in his honor. Within a decade Pottsboro boasted homes, churches, general stores, grist mills, a cotton gin, post office, hotel/saloon, and school. The town was incorporated on June 19, 1885. Pottsboro sustained serious damage from major fires in 1892, 1923, and 1924, but the citizens rebuilt and the town prospered. United States government construction of Perrin Army Air Field and Lake Texoma during the 1940s brought additional economic benefits to the town, which continues to play a vital role in the history of Grayson County. #7422
NophotosqrBlack plaque № 19651 in Pottsboro, TXSophia Porter. (1813-1899) Settled 1839 at Glen Eden, a site now under Lake Texoma, north of here. Husband, Holland Coffee, early trader, built fine home, welcomed 1845-60, U. S. Army officers including Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant. During Civil War, wined and dined passing Federal scouts, found out they were seeking Col. Jas. Bourland, Confederate defender of Texas frontier. While guests were busy, she slipped out, swam her horse across icy Red River, warned Col. Bourland, helped prevent Federal invasion of North Texas. #7421
NophotosqrBlack plaque № 19611 in Pottsboro, TXHagerman. In 1904 James Patillo (J. P.) Smith platted streets here in a 10-acre wheat field and established the town of Hagerman. Named for railroad attorney James P. Hagerman, the town consisted of 250 residents, a cotton gin, school, church, post office, railroad depot, and several businesses by 1910. The town prospered and grew to contain three churches and a three-teacher school. However, in the 1920s residents and businesses began to abandon the area when it became known that the creation of Lake Texoma would completely inundate the town. Lake Texoma was created in 1943. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995 #7380
NophotosqrBlack plaque № 19605 in Pottsboro, TXSite of Fort Johnson. Established by William G. Cooke in 1840 as a part of the defense of the Military Road from Red River to Austin. Named in honor of Colonel Francis W. Johnson (1799-1888). Commander of the Texas army at the capture of San Antonio, December 10, 1835. Place of rendezvous for the Snively Expedition which set out April 25, 1843. The settlement in the vicinity was known as Georgetown. #7374
NophotosqrBlack plaque № 19593 in Pottsboro, TXFink. A community grew up near Fort Johnson on the Texas Military Road (also known as the Shawnee Trail) in the 1840s. Earlier called Georgetown and Reevesville, the settlement became known as Fink when a post office (500 feet north) was established in 1897 and named for Fiedrick Finke (1858-1920), a German immigrant who had come to Grayson County in 1884. The post office was discontinued in 1908. Never incorporated, Fink was eventually included within the boundaries of Pottsboro. In the 1960s local residents began annual Fink celebrations. #7362
NophotosqrBlack plaque № 19580 in Pottsboro, TXSite of the Trading Post of Holland Coffee. Established about 1837 for trade with the Indians of the Red River region and the western plains. Here many white captives of the Red Men were redeemed. From its vicinity the Snively Expedition set out for New Mexico on April 25, 1843. Abandoned after Coffee's death in 1846. #7349

Unphotographed plaques in Pottsboro, TX as XML JSON KML GMAP