United States / Rankin, TX

all or unphotographed
Weir No. 1 Oil Well. Except for the original Yates Ranch gusher of 1926, most dramatic oil discovery in Upton County. Brought in December 6, 1961. West of this site 3.5 miles. First quadruple completion of petroleum engineers the most important development of the year 1961-- and the most prolific discovery in many years. Drilled to depth of 12,432 feet. Plugged back at 9,925 feet. Produces from upper, middle and lower strawn zones, and from the bend, with perforations in lower detrital gas zone. Contractor was Brahaney Drilling Co. Discovery made by E. G. Rodman, W. D. Noel and Odessa Natural Gasoline Co., founded by Rodman and Noel, and affiliated with El Paso Natural Gas Products Co. Rodman and Noel, who began their Upton County operations in 1940, have been led in the establishment of a vast petrochemical complex in Odessa. This utilizes in the making of such things as plastics, many petroleum by-products once scrapped as waste. Such leadership and such wells as Weir No. 1 have enabled Upton County to remain for many years one of the outstanding production areas in Texas. (1964) #16

SH 329, NW of Rankin, Rankin, TX, United States

Rodman-Noel Oil Field. Discovered 1953. Initial well, about 2-1/2 miles south of this spot, was drilled by E. G. Rodman and W. D. Noel as No. 1 Radford Grocery. It was completed January 13, 1953, for a natural flowing potential of 960 barrels in 24 hours, from Grayburg formation and at total depth of 1744 feet it is located 1980 feet from the south and west lines of section 1 of the gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe survey in railroad commission district 7C. The field has a number of well completed for natural potentials in excess of 3,000 barrels a day. The drillers Rodman and Noel were oil business veterans at the time they brought in this Upton County field. Already experienced in various phases of petroleum development, E. G. Rodman became an independent producer in Texas in 1938. W. D. Noel became an independent producer in Texas in 1940. Their interests extend into international exploration and other phases of oil development, including manufacture of petrochemicals. Their opening of this field substantially to the 1925-60 Upton County total of 272,628,476 barrels of production-- was made 28 years later than the great boom in McCamey. #4334

US 67, E of McCamey, Rankin, TX, United States

Rankin. Made Upton County Seat in 1921. Named for F. E. Rankin, who gave site for railway station-- the center of community life over and above its business dealings; was scene of cowboy dances on Saturday nights, church services on Sundays. Home of Rankin Museum and of world champion rodeo stars Toots Mansfield and Allen Holder. Erected by Upton County Historical Survey Committee. #4200

US 67, E of Rankin, Rankin, TX, United States

Rankin Cemetery. This cemetery was established in 1915. Soon after the founding of Rankin, by civic leaders Ira Yates, J. H. Felps, Tom F. Hickox, and Dr. J. H. Johnson. Johnson's niece, Mary Evelyn Johnson, was the first to be buried here in 1916. Many burials occurred during the 1920s. When population in the area increased greatly after oil was discovered in Upton and Pecos counties. Rankin Cemetery is known to contain the unmarked graves of two bank robbers. The graveyard is a good reflection of the heritage of this area of the state. 1985 #4201

Main St., S of Rankin 1 mile., Rankin, TX, United States

Site of First Church in Upton County. After pioneers of Upland (12 miles N.) resettled here in 1912 on Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railway, they held religious services in the railroad depot, then acquired a non-denominational church site on this corner. Ira G. Yates, later an oil baron, headed building fund donors' list. George E. Blanton, a Baptist; Dr. J. H. Johnson, Church of Christ; and H. H. Russell, Methodist, were trustees. The "Rankin Union Church" building, finished in 1915, housed local school two years. It was county's only church until the late 1920s. This site was sold to the Methodists in 1939. #4785

8th and Half St., Rankin, TX, United States

Square Top Mountain. Named, 1919, by students and professors making a geological survey for the University of Texas. The peak rises 450 feet above its base and may be part of King Mountain, 1.5 miles W. This pioneer landmark contains fossil shells 450 million years old from a prehistoric sea. #5024

?, Rankin, TX, United States

Table Top Mountain. Round, flat-topped mesa rising 475 feet above its base; part of an uplift in Permian Basin, which was once a prehistoric sea. The limestone-topped buttes and mesas in this area are remnants of rock that covered county 115 million years ago, but has now been mostly eroded. #5188

US 67, E of McCamey, Rankin, TX, United States

Upland First Upton County Seat. Now abandoned, the town of Upland (10 miles N) was intended as a station on the rail line from St. Louis to Chihuahua, Mexico. It was also located near the stage route of the Butterfield mail line. Henry Halff and his son platted the townsite in 1908 and a school opened the same year. In 1910 Upland was named the first county seat and a stone courthouse was constructed later. By passed by new rail lines and suffering from a severe drought, the town declined. Homes and buildings were moved here by 1921 when Rankin became the new seat of government. #5611

10th and Rankin St., Rankin, TX, United States

The Benedum Oil Field and Benedum Townsite. Field named in 1950 by Texas Railroad Commission in honor of Michael Late (Mike) Benedum, 1869-1959, who devoted 69 of his 90 years to the oil business, and won fortune and fame as "the great wildcatter". His work began in 1890. With a partner, Joe C. Trees, he discovered or developed oil fields in Illinois, West Virginia, Louisiana (the great Caddo field); the Tuxpan in Mexico; de Mares in Colombia, South America; and in Texas the Desdemona, Big Lake, Yates, East White Point, Susan Peak and Benavides. Discovery of Big Lake Field ( 1923 ) on University of Texas land tapped the great wealth of the Permian Basin, which opened in 1920 with a small discovery. Alford No. 1, original well in Benedum field (later reclassified as a gas field), was completed Jan. 4, 1948, at depth of 12,011 feet by Slick-Urschel Oil Co., under a partnership agreement. The field later benefited by dedication of Benedum townside. The "great wildcatter" was an oil pioneer whose work enriched one of the world's large constitutional permanent university funds. Revenues from oil and gas operations give Texas the largest permanent public school fund in the world. #5291

SH 349, N of Rankin, Rankin, TX, United States

Yates Hotel. Built as showplace by Ira Yates, for boom crowds drawn by his $15,000,000 gusher of 1926, on dry ranch with which he was "stuck" in swap off of a general store. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964 #5924

5th and Main St., Rankin, TX, United States

Upton County. Formed from Tom Green County. Created February 26, 1887, organized May 7, 1910. Named in honor of John Cunningham Upton 1828-1862, a distinguished Confederate officer killed at Manassas, August 30, 1862. County Seat, Upland, 1910-1921, Rankin, since. A cattle and sheep raising county. Oil wells dot the county. #5613

US 67, Rankin, TX, United States

First State Bank of Rankin. Founded in 1911 on the Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railroad, the town of Rankin saw for immense oil fields discovered in its trade area in 1923-1926. Local business expanded greatly. The first state bank of Rankin-- Upton County's first financial institution-- opened June 4,1927. Original officers were John F. Lane, business and civic leader, president; J. P. Rankin, rancher, vice president. Directors: Harry Baldwin, oil man; T. J. Murphy, Rancher; G. W. Newberry, merchant; W. M. Noelke, rancher; B. S. Taylor, merchant. W. H. Holcombe served as the bank's first cashier. #1872

10th and Main St., Rankin, TX, United States

First Baptist Church of Rankin. #14417

?, Rankin, TX, United States

Rankin's All-Kid Rodeo. #16271

?, Rankin, TX, United States

Subjects
Elliott Ranch. Built 1880 near old Butterfield Stage Road by Geo. Elliott, from San Antonio, one of first to go so far out on open range. Had to haul water from head of the Concho, 50 miles. His home was first polling place in what became Upton County in 1887. Headquarters 1905-1928 for Mayer Halff and brother's J. M., "Quien Sabe", Circle Dot herds. After Upton County organized, 1910, served as a mail station, a salt house, cowboys' bunkhouse. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965. #1460

5th and Main St., Rankin, TX, United States

John C. Upton and His Brother, W. F. Upton. County named for Texas Confederates (Star and Wreath). Colonel John Cunningham Upton (1828-1862) Born Tennessee. Came to Texas 1859. Raised company outbreak of Civil War. Attached to 5th Texas Infantry, Hood's famed Texas Brigade, fighting in the campaigns in and around Virginia. Rose to Lt. Colonel of his regiment. The day before his death at the Battle of Second Manassas, led charge upon the enemy rear guard which was a seldom seen, yet brilliantly executed move. Colonel William F. Upton (1832-1887) Born Tennessee. Came to Texas 1853. When Civil War broke, enlisted Texas state troops mustered in for Texas frontier protection. He served in various military units in Texas, helping to successfully guard the 2000 miles of frontier and coastline open to Union or Indian attack. Promoted to Lt. Colonel of Mann's regiment, stationed in Galveston area along with other Texas troops to prevent expected mass Union invasion in 1865. Member of State Legislature 1866, 1876-82. #2771

10th and Rankin St., Rankin, TX, United States