United States / Temple, TX

all or unphotographed
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Zabcikville. #17299

Airville Rd. and Hwy 53, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Claudia Potter, M.D.. Born in Denton County on February 3, 1881, Claudia Potter was one of eight children of William Thomas Carr and Laura Elmira Smith Potter. Claudia Potter graduated from the University of Texas Medical Branch in 1904, the only woman in a class of 23, and only the sixth woman to graduate from the Medical Department. After an internship at John Sealy Hospital in Galveston, Dr. Potter worked as a physician in San Antonio for a year. Hired in 1906 by Dr. Arthur C. Scott, Dr. Potter was the first woman to serve as a line physician for the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway, and as an anesthetist for the Temple Sanitarium. Her initial salary was $420 a year, plus room and board, much less than her male counterparts received. Dr. Potter was regarded by her peers as the first full time anesthesiologist in Texas, and was the first to administer nitrous oxide by machine. During her tenure, she trained many nurse anesthetists, and helped to develop Temple Sanitarium (Scott and White Hospital) into an outstanding surgical center. Dr. Potter excelled in her medical speciality and was widely respected. She retired from Scott and White in 1947 after 41 years of service, and died in 1970. (1997) #4098

2401 S. 31st St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Arthur Carroll Scott, Sr., M.D.. (July 12, 1865-October 27, 1940) Born in Gainesville, Texas, Arthur Scott graduated from Bellevue Medical College in 1886. In 1892 he became Chief Surgeon of the Santa Fe Hospital in Temple. He formed a partnership with Dr. R.R. White, Jr., in 1897, and they founded the Temple Sanitarium (later Scott and White Hospital) in 1904. A specialist in surgery, Dr. Scott became a well known authority in cancer diagnosis and treatment. After a remarkable career, he died in 1940. Recorded - 1997 #214

1601 N. Main St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Arthur Carroll Scott, Sr., M.D.. (1865-1940) Born in Gainesville, Texas, Arthur C. Scott graduated from Bellevue Medical College in 1886 and won an internship at the Western Pennsylvania Hospital. Returning to Gainesville, he married Maud M. Sherwood in 1889 and began a private medical practice. In 1892 Dr. Scott was appointed Chief Surgeon of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Hospital in Temple. In 1895 he hired Dr. Raleigh R. White, Jr., and they formed a private partnership in 1897. In 1904 they founded the Temple Sanitarium which they directed jointly until Dr. White's death in 1917. Subsequently, Dr. Scott established a partnership with Dr. G.V. Brindley, Sr., and Dr. M.W. Sherwood and changed the name of the hospital to Scott and White Hospital in 1922. A specialist in surgery, Dr. Scott became an internationally respected authority in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Scott and White received accreditation from the American College of Surgeons as a cancer treatment center in 1933, the earliest in Texas. Dr. Scott was active in many medical and community organizations. The institution he co-founded became a multi-specialty health system renowned in the Southwest. He died in 1940. (1997) #215

2401 S. 31st St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bird Creek Battlefield. Named in honor of Captain John Bird who lost his life here May 26, 1839 With only 34 Texas Rangers he met 240 Indians at this point, and routed them. #409

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bird Creek Indian Battle. May 26, 1839 This marker commemorates the death of captain John Bird, Sergeant William Weaver, Jesse E. Nash, H. M. C. Hall Thomas Gay, and the heroic and successful battle of a Ranger force of 34 against 240 Indians. #410

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Christ Episcopal Church of Temple. Founded as a mission in 1889, this fellowship achieved parish status in 1902 and began raising money to erect this church building. After a public fund drive (1904), construction was started on the Gothic Revival edifice designed by A.O. Watson of Austin. The Rev. Thomas J. Sloan led the first service here Sept. 24, 1905. The debt was paid in 1913, during the pastorate of the Rev. Custis Fletcher, and the structure was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. George H. Kinsolving, Bishop of Texas. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976 #842

300 N. Main, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
City Federation of Women's Clubs. After Temple's first federation of women's clubs accomplished its goal of founding a library and disbanded in 1902, this organization was created in 1915 to coordinate the work of the city's women's clubs. Members met in a variety of locations until a clubhouse was built in 1947-48. The city federation of women's clubs has led efforts to beautify the city with landscaping; worked for health and safety issues; organized youth recreational programs; supported educational reforms and social service programs; and provided leadership for the creative arts in Temple. (1991) #885

201 E. Kings Cir., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ferguson Home. Built 1907 for James E. and Miriam A. Ferguson, each later elected twice to governor's office in Texas. Mrs. Ferguson was the first woman elected Governor in any state. During their terms the Texas Highway Department and public schools achieved great importance. This was family home until Jim Ferguson became Governor in 1915, and again from 1917 to 1925, when Mrs. Ferguson was first inaugurated. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #1591

518 N. 7th St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First United Methodist Church of Temple. The Rev. E.R. Barcus served as the first pastor of the congregation, organized in 1882, one year after the city of Temple was founded. The original structure on this site was destroyed by fire in 1911. The present Romanesque Revival building was finished three years later. Architects were Sanguinet & Staats of Fort Worth. For many years civic meetings and school functions were conducted in the sanctuary, the largest in the area. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979 #1896

102 N. Second St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
James A. Fletcher House. Bell County native James Andrew Fletcher (1858-1944) was a leading Temple businessman. In 1907, with his son Omar, he acquired a local business founded in 1881 by his brother-in-law Early Greathouse. It became the nucleus of Fletcher Enterprises, a prominent banking and industrial firm. This residence was designed and constructed for Fletcher and his wife Susan Jane in 1925 by Ernest Scrivener of San Antonio. It features a mixture of styles popular during the era. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #1918

504 W. Nugent Ave., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Omar L. Fletcher Home. Omar L. Fletcher (1887-1975), a native of Bell County, was an industrialist and civic leader. He and his father James Fletcher were the successors to a family business, started in 1881, which became Fletcher Enterprises, a prominent banking and industrial firm. Ernest Scrivener of San Antonio designed and constructed this house for Fletcher in 1924. The Mediterranean influences include the use of white brick, a tiled roof, and an arched entrance. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979 #1919

1314. N. 9th St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Grace United Methodist Church. Founded in 1882 to serve the area's German population, this congregation originally was known as the Friedens (Peace) Church of the Evangelical Association. This sanctuary was completed in 1883 on land donated by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. The wood frame structure with cedar post foundation features some elements of the Gothic style. The church building stands as an important part of the area's diverse cultural heritage. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #2237

601 S. Main, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
W. Goodrich Jones (1860-1950). Known as "Father of Forestry in Texas." Came to Temple, 1888, as a banker. Planted first tree (a pecan) in town; this led to establishing Arbor Day in Texas in 1889, through legislation introduced by Sen. Geo. W. Tyler. In 1914 Jones organized Texas Forestry Association, which saw creation of Texas Department of Forestry, signed into law in 1915 by Gov. James E. Ferguson. For 60 years, Jones advocated conservation. A state forest at Conroe and this park bear his name. A fellowship in Forestry Conservation and Research has been established by his family. (1970) #2849

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Joseph Dennis. Joseph Dennis (Dec. 10, 1810-Oct. 19, 1894) Tennessee native Joseph Dennis came to Texas in 1849 with his wife, Isa (Seitz), and their children. After Bell County was created from Milam County in 1850, Dennis was instrumental in selecting a site for the county seat, which became the town of Belton. A respected landowner and businessman, Dennis was elected first Bell County Treasurer and later moved to Temple. A number of Dennis family members are buried in this cemetery. Recorded - 1984 #2855

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Lake Polk Park. Soon after establishing the city of Temple, the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad Company built a dam on nearby Bird Creek to create a reservoir and ready water supply. By 1900 a group of investors formed an association to develop a park at the site to be named in honor of railroad general manager L.J. Polk. The park offered such recreational opportunities as boating, fishing, croquet, and tennis. Local citizens assisted in landscaping the area and enjoyed the facilities for a ten-cent admission fee. The area eventually became a private club and, later, a city park. (1991) #3011

2220 W. Avenue D, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Pendleton. Called Pendletonville in 1880's; renamed 1904 for local resident George C. Pendleton (1845-1913), State Representative, 1883-1889 (House Speaker, 1886-1887). As Lieutenant Governor, 1891-1893, became first elected official to preside over both legislative houses. U. S. Congressman, 1893-1897. (1968) #3978

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Raleigh R. White, Jr., M.D.. Born December 10, 1871, in Tippah County, Mississippi, Raleigh R. White, Jr., was the son of the Rev. Raleigh White, Sr., and Anna Davidson White. The Rev. Mr. White had trained as a physician, but became a Baptist minister who served a number of Texas churches after moving his family to Texas in 1882. Raleigh White, Jr., attended Baylor University and graduated from Tulane University Department of Medicine in 1893 at the age of 21. White practiced medicine in Cameron for about eighteen months before moving to Temple in 1895 when Dr. Arthur C. Scott hired him to serve as house physician at the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway Hospital. Doctors Scott and White formed a medical practice partnership, and were named joint Chief Surgeons of the Santa Fe Railway in 1897. Their practice flourished, and in 1904 they established their own hospital named the Temple Sanitarium, now Scott & White Hospital. Dr. White, a gifted business partner and renowned surgeon, developed a treatment for cancer an actively promoted ethical and humane treatment of patients. Active in a number of medical associations, White contributed greatly to medicine in Texas until his early death in 1917 at age 45. (1997) #4169

2401 S. 31st St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Raleigh R. White, Jr., M.D.. (1871-1917) Mississippi native Raleigh R. White, Jr., moved to Texas in 1882. A graduate of Tulane University Department of Medicine in 1893, White was hired by Dr. A. C. Scott as house physician for the Santa Fe Railway Hospital in Temple in 1895. White and Scott formed a medical practice partnership, became joint chief surgeons for the railway, and established what is now Scott & White Hospital. Dr. White was highly esteemed by both colleagues and patients. Recorded - 1997 #4170

1601 N. Main St., Temple, TX, United States

Temple daily telegram historical marker img 2373
Temple Daily Telegram. The Temple Daily Telegram, which dates to 1907, has had a strong historical impact on the development of the area. It has ties to the earliest community newspaper, the Weekly Times, first distributed in 1881, the year of Temple's founding. The Temple Daily Telegram grew and prospered from its inception, and by 1929, when newspaper executive Ward C. Mayborn and his three sons, Frank W., Don and Ted, purchased the operation, it was an important employer in Temple. In 1930, Frank W. Mayborn became the sole owner and publisher. During Frank W. Mayborn's ownership, the Temple Daily Telegram grew to be an influential community institution. It won numerous journalistic awards, supported and advocated community projects and sponsored civic events. In the 1930s, the newspaper pushed for construction of local reservoirs, and that continuing effort eventually led to construction of Belton Dam (1954) on the Leon River, as well as Stillhouse Hollow Dam (1968) on the Lampasas River, ensuring important municipal water sources. Mayborn and the Temple Daily Telegram led the way in other economic activities for the area, including government projects such as Camp Hood (now Fort Hood) and McCloskey General Hospital (now Olin E. Teague Veterans Hospital); the Temple Industrial Foundation, which assisted in attracting new businesses; and U.S. Department of Agriculture facilities. After Frank W. Mayborn's death in 1987, his widow became the sole owner and publisher of the Temple Daily Telegram. Today, over a century after its founding, the newspaper continues to serve and promote the greater Temple area. (2007) #13887

10 S 3rd St, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Scott and White Hospital. The Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railway established the town of Temple in 1881 and located the Santa Fe Railway Hospital at Temple in 1891. Dr. Arthur Carroll Scott, Sr. (1865-1940) became Chief Surgeon of the Railway in 1892. In 1895 he hired Dr. Raleigh R. White, Jr., (1871-1917) who was promoted to co-chief Surgeon by 1897. Doctors Scott and White formed a private practice partnership in 1897, and in 1904 they opened a hospital known as the Temple Sanitarium. Located in downtown Temple, it was renamed Scott & White Hospital in 1922 and expanded to six city blocks. The hospital became a training facility for nurses and doctors. Several new divisions of specialized medicine were added after World War II, and the hospital gained a national reputation for medical research. Following relocation to this site in 1963, the hospital expanded. By 1995 more than 6,000 people were employed here, and over one million patient visits were recorded. The largest group practice in Texas, Scott & White continues as a leader in the development of health care and has become a world-renowned medical facility. (1997) #4613

2401 S. 31st St., Temple, TX, United States

Site of 1920s factory of the temple monoplane, temple, texas historical marker (8517623908)
Site of 1920s Factory of the Temple Monoplane. Pioneer commercial aircraft developed by engineering genius George W. Williams, who with Roy Sanderford, George Carroll, and his brother, E.K. Williams, formed Texas Aero Corporation in 1927. The firm obtained (June 23, 1928) approved type Certificate No. 45 of U.S.Department of Commerce, to make and sell the Temple Monoplane. Primarily designed for airmail, this craft was equipped for night flight--an innovation in that era. Despite successes, plant closed after 1929 Wall Street crash and death on Aug. 15, 1930, of George Williams in a student training disaster. (1970) #4719

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Steakley Home. The F. L. Wright Home was built on old stagecoach road in 1874, seven years before Temple was founded. It is still on original boid d'arc stumps foundation. Has original chimneys, and roof line. The builder was 1867 settler from Alabama, Confederate veteran F. L. Wright. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1964 #5102

2207 Marland Wood Rd., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Wayman Chapel A.M.E. Church. George Connor, a missionary elder of the African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) church assigned to the Temple area, organized this congregation in 1883. A frame sanctuary was built at this site two years later, with Dock Lacy and Green McGrew as church trustees. A growing membership during the early years of the 20th century required a larger house of worship, and the present brick sancturary was completed in 1927. An important institution in Temple's black community, Wayman Chapel A.M.E. church has long been a source of leadership and service. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1985 #5728

407 E. Ave D, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Immanuel Baptist Church. #17180

1401 West Central, Temple, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
C. L. Walker Home. Will Campbell, who constructed many early homes in Temple, built this residence in 1912 for C.L. Walker (1881-1940) and his wife Daisy (1884-1969). Since 1945 it has been owned by their son C.L. ("Chick") Walker, Jr., and his wife Iladene, who raised their three children here. The elder Walker served as mayor of Temple from 1922 to 1924 and his son was mayor from 1950 to 1952. Both were also City Commissioners and both operated a cotton oil mill. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978 #6491

1206 N. Third St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Santa Fe Memorial Hospital, Inc.. The first hospital in Temple, this institution opened in 1891 for employees of the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad. The first section of the present building, completed in 1908, replaced an earlier frame structure. Until 1948 nursing care was provided by Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. Early staff members Dr. A.C. Scott, chief surgeon, and Dr. R.R. White later formed the noted Scott and White Clinic. Now a general care facility, Santa Fe Memorial Hospital serves as a reminder of Temple's early development as a railroad town. (1982) #4579

600 S. 25th St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Claudia Potter, M.D.. (February 3, 1881-February 2, 1970) Born in Denton County, Claudia Potter was one of eight children of William T. C. and Laura Smith Potter. A graduate of the University of Texas Medical Branch in 1904, Dr. Potter was the first woman doctor at Scott and White Hospital, and was a pioneering physician in the medical specialty of anesthesiology. Dr. Potter excelled at her career and was widely respected. After 41 years at Scott and White, she retired in 1947. Recorded - 1997 #909

1601 N. Main St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Baptist Church of Temple. Originally known as Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, this congregation was organized on November 21, 1874, in the small Bell County town of Birdsdale (about one mile west of present Temple). The Rev. Anderson Clark (1829-1925) became the church's first pastor, leading a charter membership of twenty people. A small sanctuary was built on land donated by A.J. Flakes, but was destroyed by a tornado two years after its construction. Following the creation of the city of Temple in 1881, the members of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church voted to move to the new town and rename their congregation First Baptist Church of Temple. A frame church was built on the corner of North Main Street and Barton Avenue in 1882. It was replaced with a brick and stone structure in 1895. After the 1895 building was destroyed in a 1938 fire, the congregation relocated to this site and built a new sanctuary that same year. Additional buildings have been added over the years to serve the growing needs of the congregation. Instrumental in local missionary activities, this church has served the community for over 100 years. (1988) #1680

102 W. Barton Ave., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Lutheran Church. When this church was organized by the Rev. Carl Kreutzenstein in 1886 for Temple's German-speaking Lutherans, it was named Bethlehem Evangelical Lutheran Church. Charter members included the Schmidt, Paulus, Scholz, Koch, Bosl, Jahnke, Rhein, and Haedge families. A small frame sanctuary was built at the corner of Avenue F and Fourth Street. By 1913 the congregation needed larger facilities, and a new building was erected at Avenue G and South First. In 1946 the church was renamed First Lutheran Church. A new sanctuary was built at this site in 1958. (1989) #1737

1515 W. Adams Ave., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
George Valter Brindley, Sr., M.D.. (1886-1970) Born on a farm in Ellis County, George V. Brindley, Sr., graduated from the University of Texas Department of Medicine at Galveston in 1911 and joined the medical staff of Temple Sanitarium that year. Starting in general hospital work, he became a surgical assistant and later joined the surgical staff. Dr. Brindley became a prominent specialist in surgical cancer treatment and a leader of Scott and White Hospital. He was an executive board member and co-administrator in 1940, and a Board of Trustees Governor in 1949. His contributions were recognized as the name of the institution became Scott and White Memorial Hospital, Scott, Sherwood and Brindley Foundation. Dr. Brindley served as Associate Chief Surgeon of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Hospital in Temple and as president of Scott and White Clinic from 1953 to 1955. He authored numerous articles, developed award-winning scientific exhibits, and supervised residency and internship programs. Dr. Brindley was a leader in many community organizations. He and his wife Arabella were the parents of 3 sons, all of whom became doctors. Dr. Brindley retired in 1961 after 50 distinguished years in medicine. (1997) #2161

2401 S. 31st St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Little Flock Cemetery and Primitive Baptist Church. On land donated by J.W. and Mary Moore, owners of a pioneer gristmill and cotton gin. First burial (about 1860) was a stranger who died on a wagon trip from West Texas to Arkansas. Other old graves: fever victims and faithful Moore family servants. Little Flock (named for text in Luke 12:32) was a meeting place for seven congregations camping here annually on first Sunday in May to worship with ritual foot washing. Sunshine Church, founded before 1848, moved here in 1879. (1969) #3097

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
George Valter Brindley, Sr., M.D.. (January 8, 1886 - October 7, 1970) Texas native George Brindley graduated from the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston in 1911, and went to work at the Temple Sanitarium (later Scott & White Hospital). He became a prominent specialist in surgery and cancer treatment and a leader in guiding the development and growth of Scott & White Hospital. After 50 years, Dr. Brindley retired in 1961 and served in several community organizations. Recorded - 1997 #11721

1601 N. Main St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
King's Daughters Hospital. The Temple Charter of the International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons, a Protestant ecumenical group, was formed in 1893 to provide medical care to indigent citizens. The group, made up largely of educated women, rented rooms in a small house and opened King's Daughters Hospital in 1896. In 1898 a board of trustees was elected which appointed the first staff physicians; Cornelia Parsons became hospital superintendent. By 1920 the King's Daughters organization had discontinued support of the hospital facility. Considered ahead of its time from its earliest days, King's Daughters Hospital remains a major provider of affordable modern medical care. (1998) #11725

1901 SW H. K. Dodgen Loop, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
King's Daughters Hospital School of Nursing. Nursing training was implemented at King's Daughters Hospital from as early as 1897, and formal two-year classes began in 1903. In 1906, the hospital revised its charter to officially include a nurses' training school and the curriculum expanded to three years about 1910. Mary Julia Putts provided outstanding leadership as director in the 1920s. In difficult Depression years, an expanded curriculum and facilities helped the school survive, but a shortage of enrollees caused it to close its doors in 1948. The hospital began its own vocational nursing program in 1954. School alumnae formed an association in 1921 and served with distinction in both world wars. (1998) #11726

1901 SW H. K. Dodgen Loop, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Dr. John S. and Mary McCelvey House. Completed about 1906 for Dr. John S. McCelvey (1870-1964) and his fiancee, Mary Horne (1881-1960), this house was erected of concrete blocks cast on the Horne family plantation near Waco. The McCelveys built the north wing addition and garage and servants' quarters in 1927. Dr. McCelvey was a prominent local physician affiliated with the King's Daughters Hospital and was active in state medical associations. Mary McCelvey was active in Temple social and civic affairs. The house was designed in an eclectic Gothic style with an asymmetrical plan, wraparound porch with chamferred corners, and stone piers with urns. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999 #11728

804 N. 11th St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Memorial Baptist Church of Temple. Less than a decade after its founding in 1881, Temple was fast developing as an important commercial center. Reflecting that growth, plans for this church began in the early 1890s. It was formally chartered as Memorial Mission Chapel on June 5, 1892, with 12 members: 9 women and 3 men. The founder and first pastor was The Rev. John Hill Luther, retired president of Baylor Female College, now the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. The church name honored the preacher's son, J.H. Luther, Jr., who died of tuberculosis at age 17. The first building was a small chapel in an early south side addition platted by J.E. Moore, on whose farm the original Temple townsite was located, and W. Goodrich Jones, Luther's son-in-law. Moved to a new site in 1905, the chapel served the congregation until facilities were built here in 1913. Memorial Baptist Church has served its community through such programs as a radio ministry, begun in 1939, and the formation of new churches. It has been associated with several well-known Baptist preachers, including the Rev. H. Carroll Smith and the Rev. B.B. Blaylock. A symbol of Temple's early growth, the church continues to be an important part of the area's religious and cultural heritage. (1991) #3323

801 S. 13th St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Messer-Limmer Farmhouse. This vernacular farmhouse was built in 1895 for Mary Margaret Messer (d. 1919) by her sons and grandsons. It was purchased in 1920 by F. A. Limmer, local landowner and citizen of the nearby community of Alligator. Features of the Cumberland plan house include board-and-batten siding and shed roof. The home and outbuildings are rare surviving examples of the type of farm complexes once found throughout Bell County. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989 #12391

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Stampede Creek. Stampede Creek takes its name from a horse stampede that occurred near this site in 1839. On May 26 of that year, Capt. John Bird and a Ranger force of 34 men encountered more than 200 Caddo, Kickapoo and Comanche Indians at what became known as the Battle of Bird's Creek. The Rangers returned to Bird's Creek a week later to bury their dead and then headed west in pursuit of the Indians. The horse stampede took place on the evening of June 4 while the Ranger force camped along the nearby creek, later named for the incident. On July 4, 1876, the stream was the site of another stampede, this time of cattle being driven north from South Texas. (2002) #12820

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Moffat Cemetery. This burial ground began as a family and Masonic cemetery. Although many, possibly older, graves exist, the oldest marked grave is that of Mary Marshall (d. 1861). In 1869, eight years after Marshall's death, J.A. Grimes sold his farm to Mary E. Dean. The parcel of land excluded two acres set aside for a graveyard. In 1893, Dean deeded additional property for the cemetery to the Leon Masonic Lodge No. 193, AF&AM. R.J. and Hattie Goode conveyed additional land to the lodge in 1916. On July 23, 1921, the Masonic Lodge deeded the property to the Moffat Cemetery Association, which later acquired additional land for the burial ground. The association incorporated in 1976. The cemetery is the final resting place for numerous area settlers, including pioneer Isaac Thomas Bean (1821-1899), who came to Texas in 1823 with his family. The names of prominent families and military veterans are found on the numerous markers, which include vertical stones and stone cairns. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2003 #13051

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Seven Star Cemetery. Temple incorporated in 1882, the same year the Missouri, Kansas and Texas (MKT) Railway built a line through this area. This land was most likely owned by the rail company, but few records exist about the burial ground's early history. Many stories surround the cemetery, though, including that it began as a slave cemetery in the 1860s or as a public burial ground for African American residents. Over the years, the site has been known by many names, including MKT, Temple League and Seven Star Cemetery. The latter name, used today, has particular significance because of the traditions related to the Underground Railroad. It is believed that seven stars, including the North Star, helped guide slaves to their freedom before the close of the Civil War. Although fewer than 100 graves at the site retain their original markers, Seven Star Cemetery is the final resting place of nearly 500 individuals whose stories are part of Temple's rich history. Those buried here include former slaves as well as veterans of the Spanish-American and first World wars. The local chapter of the Juneteenth Association maintains the site. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2005 #13449

1875 N 14th St, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Eighth Street Baptist Church. Soon after the establishment of Temple as a railroad town in 1882, the Rev. L.J. Mackey organized the Saint Love All Baptist Church. The early mission of the church was to serve African American railroad workers in the new town. It was located on the southeast corner of D and 12th streets until 1905, when, as the First Baptist Church (Colored), members moved to this location on what was then Eighth Street. In 1911, during the pastorate of the Rev. J.S. Simmons, members adopted the present congregational name. The church has played a vital role in the development of the community it serves through active ministries that include youth, senior and homebound programs. (2005) #13796

215 Martin Luther King, Jr. Dr., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Green Oaks Farm. #15985

5880 Hartrick Bluff Road, Temple, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Hillcrest Cemetery. #16162

1873 N. 1st, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
42nd Reunion of Hood's Texas Brigade. Honored the late General John B. Hood, for whom Fort Hood was named. Meetings were in First Baptist Church. Transportation from Carnegie Library (convention headquarters) was by one of the first auto parades in Temple. J.W. Stevens, Chaplain, Hood's original brigade, conducted the annual memorial ceremony. Other speakers included Dr. T.A. Pope, of Cameron, and Hon. W.B. Lane, State Comptroller. Convention ended with rousing rendition of Confederate war song, "Dixie". This association, founded in 1872, held reunions until 1934. (1967) #39

111 N. Main, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Presbyterian Church of Temple. The first church established in Temple, this congregation was organized on October 19, 1881, under the leadership of A.A. Black, with the assistance of the Rev. C.W. Peyton and the Rev. R.M. Tuttle. The 24 charter members had been dismissed from the Belton Presbyterian Church in order to found the Temple congregation. The first and second buildings for the church were located on the southwest corner of North First and Barton. Construction of the present facility, the third for the congregation, began in 1929, during the pastorate of the Rev. Michael Mar Yosip. (1982) #1848

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Former Site of Scott and White School of Nursing. The School of Nursing was founded in 1904 by Dr. Arthur C. Scott and Dr. Raleigh White, Jr., as a part of their Temple Sanitarium to provide professional training for nurses. Initially a small local student body was instructed by the doctors and nursing superintendent at their facility, a former Catholic convent on South Fifth Street and Avenue F in Temple. Doctor Scott & White based the nursing school on the philosophy of Florence Nightingale, and created an atmosphere of training and education. The school expanded over the years, and changes took place in both the name of the school and the diversity of the curriculum. In 1946 nurses' training included a Liberal Arts education in conjunction with Temple Junior College. By 1949 the school was ranked among the nation's top programs in nursing. In 1968 administrators planned a two-year phasing out of the diploma program in nursing and the beginning of the baccalaureate nursing program at Mary Hardin-Baylor College. During its 66 years of existence as a diploma program, the Scott & White School of Nursing graduated 1,233 nurses who served prominently in health care worldwide. (1997) #1954

2401 S. 31st St., Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Hodge Cemetery. Occupying less than one acre of land, this cemetery is named for J.W. Hodge (d.1920), who purchased the surrounding property in 1870. Burials had taken place before that date, however, as indicated by the tombstones of J.S. and Sallie Clary, area landowners who were interred here in 1868. A native Texan, Hodge was a successful rancher and farmer in Bell County. He and his wife, Martha (1849-1905), are both buried here, as is Joseph Dennis (1810-1894), an early Bell County leader. Hodge Cemetery stands as a good example of a pioneer graveyard. (1985) #2505

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Lancaster Cemetery. Thomas Lancaster (1813-1867), a farmer and rancher who came to Bell County in 1851, set aside a plot of land on the west side of Little Elm Creek for a community burial ground. Although some burials took place here before Lancaster's death in 1867, his is the oldest marked grave. There are a number of unmarked graves, as well as over 175 documented ones. A cemetery association, formed in 1977, maintains the historic graveyard. In addition to fencing the property, the organizations has improved roads on the site and erected a sign at the entrance. (1987) #3029

?, Temple, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ocker Brethren Church. A group of deeply devoted followers of the Unity of the Brethren faith were among the Czech immigrant families who settled in this area of eastern Bell County in the late 1870s and established the farming community of Ocker. The group initially worshipped informally in their homes. Annual visits from 1884 to 1891 by the Rev. Henry Juren and the Rev. Bohuslav Emil Lacjak encouraged them to organize. The Evangelical Congregation of the Bohemian and Moravian Brethren of Ocker was established in 1892. The dedication of their first church building, erected in 1893, was conducted by the Rev. Juren and the Rev. Adolph Chlumsky, noted early-day Czech community preachers. The church cemetery was established later that year. Membership in the church grew from 52 families in 1900 to 92 families in 1925. A new church/Sunday school building was erected at this site in 1931 to meet the spiritual needs of a growing congregation. By mid-1940, English had replaced Czech as the language used in Sunday school and worship services. The congregation was served by part-time pastors until 1981 when a full-time pastor was called. The church continues to serve the local community with spiritual guidance and outreach programs. (1994) #3664

?, Temple, TX, United States