United States / Waxahachie, TX

all or unphotographed
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Rosemont. This 20-room home was built in 1894 for $12,000 by Eliza and Burt Ringo Moffett, who owned a flour mill nearby. Amanda B. Cox, the mother of 14 children, purchased the residence in 1930 and her heirs occupied it until 1978. Named "Rosemont" by the original owners, the home reflects the elegant architectural stylings of the 1890s in the use of wide verandas, ten fireplaces with carved oak mantels, an elaborate onion dome, and gingerbread trim. #7068

201 S. Rogers St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Homesite of Dr. D.G. Thompson. A native Texan, Dixon Gillespie Thompson received his medical degree from Louisville Medical School in Kentucky and trained at several hospitals in the east. He married Rufa Jones in 1882 and built this residence for his family in 1883 - 84. In addition to his prominence as a physician, Dr. Thompson had large landholdings in Ellis County and owned an interest in three banks. Although he sold his home in 1917 to Mary M. and John Beatty, Dr. Thompson continued to reside here until his death in 1935. #7072

417 W. Main St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Dunlap - Simpson House. A fine example of Queen Anne Revival architecture, this house has among its many rooms two hexagons, two octagons. It was built in 1890-91 by Judge Oscar E. Dunlap (1849-1925), a banker, political leader, chairman of Texas Council of Defence in World War I, good roads advocate, industrialist, humanitarian, founder of the Sims Library, Waxahachie. Later owners have included Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Prince, Mrs. Sadie R. Hardesty, and Mr. and Mrs. Max H. Simpson. #7073

1203 W. Main St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

23672537793 786dfdd2db m
Presiding Elder's House. Built in 1901, this house served as the parsonage for the presiding elder (district superintendent) of the Waxahachie district of the Northwest Texas Conference of the Methodist Church for more than 40 years. Mrs. M.J. Cooke, for whom the house was built, sold it to the Methodist Conference in 1902. The Rev. O.F. Sensabaugh was the first of 13 church officials to reside in the house, which features late Victorian - era detailing in its porch, windows and gables. #7140

201 Oldham Ave., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Ellis county courthouse, waxahachie, texas historical marker (6884672092)
Ellis County Courthouse. Ellis County's first courthouse was made of cedar logs and built here in 1850. A second courthouse was built on this square in 1853 and a third in 1874. In 1894 Virginia native and San Antonio architect James Riely Gordon was commissioned to design the fourth Ellis County courthouse to be built at this site. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1895, and the courthouse completed in 1897 with each of its main entrances purposely oriented toward true North, South, East and West compass points. Faces which adorn the courthouse were sculpted by European stonemasons. The "Richardsonian Romanesque" architectural style used by Gordon to design this building was created by Bostonian Henry Hobson Richardson in the 1870s and popularized in Texas by Gordon. For this structure Gordon deviated from previous Texas courthouses he had designed in the "Richardsonian Romanesque" style by displaying open, two-story arcaded and colonnaded porticos on the exterior of the building and placing entrances at inside angles. Red and gray granite from Central Texas and red sandstone from the Pecos River in West Texas were used to build this courthouse. Gordon's Ellis County courthouse design set a new standard for other public buildings erected in Texas. #7092

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
St. Joseph Catholic Church. The earliest Catholic settlers in Waxahachie were two brothers of English and American ancestry who arrived in 1859. A German Catholic family joined them in 1870 and a number of Irish Catholic stonemasons arrived in 1871 to assist in the building of the third Ellis County Courthouse. They and their families kept the Catholic faith in their homes. Occasionally French Catholic missionaries would minister to this tiny Catholic community. The Bishop of Galveston assigned Father Claude Marie Thion to minister to Catholics in Ellis and Hill counties in 1874. Father Thion organized St. Joseph Catholic Church in Waxahachie with twenty charter members that year. He conducted the first Mass in the new church building in 1875. Father Thion performed the first Catholic marriage ceremony in Ellis County in 1877. In 1890 the Diocese of Dallas was created. Because of the growth of the Waxahachie congregation, the new bishop traded the Catholic church building and land to local methodists in exchange for $1500 and 4.5 acres of land. The graves in the early cemetery were reinterred in the city cemetery in 1892. By this time Waxahachie had a Catholic population of forty. The church grew steadily in the first half of the 20th century, and the Diocese erected a third church building in 1954. The church retained the name of St. Joseph. In the second half of the 20th century the church continued to grow. With 1360 ethnically diverse families in their second century, the congregation is active in worship, religious education, social and civic service and mission work throughout western Ellis County. (2000) #14404

504 E. Marvin, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Richard Ellis Monument. #7067

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Williams-Erwin House. Erected in 1893 for Edward Williams, this Victorian home reflects the affluence of local cotton merchants during the late 19th century. Waxahachie contractor C.J. Griggs supervised the construction. Beaded boards and shingling decorate the exterior walls, and elaborate eastlake style detailings adorns the porch. Williams sold the house in 1902 to R.K. Erwin, another prominent businessman. The Erwin family owned it until 1943. #7063

412 W. Marvin, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Joshua Chapel A.M.E. Church. Organized in 1876, this congregation was named for its first pastor, the Rev. Joshua Goins, who started many African Methodist Episcopal churches across the state. Worshipers met in an old schoolhouse until this sanctuary was constructed in 1917. Designed by noted black architect W. S. Pittman, the building exhibits influences of the Romanesque Revival style and has become a landmark in Waxahachie's black community. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984 #7070

109 Aiken St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
St. Paul's Episcopal. City's oldest church. Dedicated by pioneer Bishop A.C. Garrett, 1885. Lance windows, Doors. #7062

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Rogers street bridge, waxahachie, texas historical marker (7040306241)
Rogers Street Bridge. Located on an early Waxahachie Creek fording site that served pioneer settlers of the area, this truss bridge was built in 1889. It was manufactured by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio, and was one of thirteen approved by Ellis County commissioners from 1888 to 1890. The span provided an extension for Rogers Street, a road named for Emory Rogers, donor of the Waxahachie townsite. As part of an important early North-South commercial route, the Rogers Street Bridge was vital to the growth and development of the city. #7069

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Oak Lawn School. Oak Lawn began as an elementary school for Blacks in 1887 on North Aiken Street. In 1893 the school moved to this site. By the end of the 19th Century, High School classes had been added to the curriculum. Two of the first graduates, Prince Goldthwaite and Robert Davis, later became Oak Lawn High School Principals. Oak Lawn experienced tremendous growth during the 20th century, so the elementary and high schools were separated in 1952. The building at this site continued to serve grades one through seven until the school was closed permanently in 1970. #7071

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Waxahachie Chautauqua Building. Some 25 years after Chautauqua cultural programs originated in New York State, annual Chautauqua assemblies in Waxahachie began in 1899. Large crowds from North and East Texas and Oklahoma camped here, studying literature and the arts, attending dramas, lectures, concerts, exhibitions. This 2500-seat hall, convertible into an open-air auditorium, was built by Waxahachie Chautauqua Park Association in 1902. #7077

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Trippet-Shive House. Completed in 1896 for banker and civic leader H.W. Trippet (b.1853), this residence was later sold to Walter E. Shive (b.1873), who owned a successful Waxahachie seed, grain, and coal store. Exhibiting influences of the Queen Anne and Shingle styles of architecture, the Trippet-Shive house is indicative of the houses built in this neighborhood at the turn of the century. Interesting features include the cedar fish-scale shingles, wraparound porch, and octagonal tower. #7078

209 N. Grand Ave., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bethel Methodist Church. In 1853 Bethel Church was begun under a brush arbor at High Springs. After meeting in a log school building at Greathouse, services were moved in 1860 to a schoolhouse at Bethel on Baker's Branch. The first meetinghouse, built south of the cemetery in 1872, was destroyed in an 1892 storm. The second, located north of the cemetery, was replaced in 1924 by the present sanctuary. The tabernacle, built in 1907, served for camp meetings and God's acre sales. A parsonage, erected in the early 1900s on E.M. Brack's land at Boz, was moved to this site in 1952. #7085

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ellis County Courthouse. Built 1895-1897 of Texas granite, limestone, marble. Over east door, sculptor carved face of beautiful local girl he admired. Example of Romanesque Revival building, Victorian period. The architect was J. Reilly Gordon. #7091

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Rutherford's Crossing Bridge. Constructed in 1919 by the Texas Bridge Company at a cost of $565.00, this Warren Pony truss bridge provided transportation across Red Oak Creek for area residents. Prior to the bridge's construction, the only way for people to cross the creek in this vicinity was by fording the waters, a task which often proved impossible due to bad weather and floods. A once-common bridge type, this structure is representative of early 20th century bridge building technology. It stands as a reminder of early transportation patterns in Ellis County. #7144

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
South Cemetery. Burial place of pioneers and generations of descendants; on a knoll that was in wilderness when cemetery opened, but now overlooks nine urban areas. Founded by Nancy Owen Smith for her family and neighbors. First burial was her husband Hans Smith (1799-1852), lawmaker in Missouri (1830-32, 1834-36) and Arkansas (1844-46), who moved here in 1846. He opened area's first cotton gin, helped organize Ellis County (1850), and was robbed and murdered while buying goods in Houston for his store. The Smith Cemetery Association, organized in 1953, was chartered in 1955. #7150

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Strickland-Sawyer House. Maggie Young Beall, a widow, built a house here in 1888. One year later is was purchased by J.F. Stickland (1861-1921), a cofounder of Texas Power and Light Company and a pioneer of area interurban lines. In 1897 he had C.W. Thrash build the present home over the existing residence. J.W. Sawyer (1868-1927), a druggist, bought the property in 1914 and members of his family lived here until 1945. The Victorian styling features a 3-story turret containing the interior stairwell. #7152

500 Oldham Ave., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Jefferson Dunaway Home. Built 1855 by Jefferson Madison Dunaway for his bride, Sarah Ann Brack. Stone for chimneys came from the nearby creek banks. Cypress wood was used in structure. Two later generations of the family have lived here: The households of Jefferson Richard ("Jeff") Dunaway and of Richard Waldo Dunaway. #7065

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

1889 masonic lodge hall, waxahchie, texas historical marker (6879078382)
1889 Masonic Lodge Hall. A tin cornice decorated with Masonic emblems tops this three-story brick building constructed in 1889 for Waxahachie Lodge No. 90, A.F.& A.M. The first floor was rented to retail stores, the second occupied by professional offices, and the third used as a lodge hall until 1926, when the lodge moved. Sold in 1929 to D.D. Eastham, the structure was later owned by his son, Jack. It was purchased in 1975 by the Ellis County Historical Museum and Art Gallery, Inc. #7120

201 S. College St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Hancock Building. Businessman William F. Lewis and Ellis County Judge M.B. Templeton built this Victorian commercial structure in 1890. Decorative brickwork and cast iron columns highlight the facade. William Pitt Hancock (1872-1955), a well-known defense attorney, purchased the property in 1907 to house his law office. A grocery store, justice of the peace, and real estate and insurance offices have also occupied the Hancock building. #7108

203 S College St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Hawkins house, waxahachie, texas historical marker (6903613452)
Hawkins House. Benjamin Franklin Hawkins, a member of the Peters Colony who was instrumental in the organization of Ellis County, built a one-story house here in 1851. It was incorporated into a two-story house in the 1880s, and was remodeled into its current Colonial Revival appearance by Hawkins' son, Frank Lee, in 1903. Prominent features include its large fluted Corinthian columns, two-story balcony with balustrade, and decorative dentils. #7111

210 S Hawkins St.,, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ellis County. Created December 20, 1849 from Navarro County. Organized August 5, 1850. Named in honor of Richard Ellis, 1781-1846 a Virginian by birth and education jurist and statesman in Alabama, 1813-1825. Moved to Texas in 1825. President of the Constitutional Convention, March 1836. Member of Congress of the Republic of Texas. Waxahachie, the county seat. #7093

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Graves Cemetery. Robert Russell Graves (1814-1897) came from Alabama to Texas in 1838 with his wife Esther (Hinkle) Graves (1815-1865), their children, and her father Joseph Hinkle (1771-1859). They came to Ellis County in 1857 and settled on 510 acres purchased from Thomas C. Marchbanks. The first marked grave on this site is that of Joseph Hinkle, who was interred here in 1859. Robert and Esther's son C. R. Graves (1857-1938) and his wife Emma Callie Graves (1857-1927) deeded 1.06 acres including Joseph's grave for a family burial ground in 1895. Many early pioneer families of the area near the Rockett community are represented here. Graves Cemetery continues as a chronicle of the pioneer days of Ellis County. (2000) #11861

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First United Methodist Church of Waxahachie. In the spring of 1849, the Rev. Falacius Reynolds and nine charter members met in the cabin of E. W. and Nancy Rogers in the new settlement of Waxahachie and established a Methodist society. The congregation erected its first house of worship in 1852. A new building, built in 1856, was shared with local Cumberland Presbyterian and Baptist congregations. In 1866 the Central Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized at the Waxahachie church. A third building, erected in 1893, was lost to a fire in 1904 and was replaced in 1905. The congregation struggled through the Depression era to flourish in the 1940s and 1950s. A fifth church complex was erected in 1950. Church members remain active in community service. (1999) #11860

505 W. Marvin St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Presbyterian Church Building. The Rev. J. A. Smiley organized the First Presbyterian Church in 1871 with 16 charter members. The first church building was erected in 1876 and replaced by this structure in 1916-17. After this congregation merged with another church in 1979, the building was sold to the Ellis County Art Association for use as a fine arts museum. It is a fine example of a classical church with beaux arts details in its modified Doric columns and art glass windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1997 #11858

501 W. Main St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Ellis county farm cemetery, waxahachie, texas historical marker (6876377120)
Ellis County Farm Cemetery. Ellis County Farm Cemetery This fenced area marks the boundaries of what has sometimes been called the Pauper Cemetery, one of possibly three burial grounds on old county farm land that served as the final resting place for some of Ellis County's poor farm residents. County officials purchased 450 acres between 1893 and 1895 to create the farm for the support and employment of the needy. The earliest death recorded at the facility was that of Albert Estes in 1890, the last was Dave Madison in 1946. Iron pipes driven into the ground once identified the graves of some of the other 73 individuals whose names are recorded in county records. Historic Texas Cemetery-2002 #12835

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Central Presbyterian Church. Central Presbyterian Church Central Presbyterian Church began as a Cumberland Presbyterian church in 1853, with twelve charter members led by the Rev. Daniel G. Molloy. The congregation met in a building on land donated by William Irwin until 1862, when it began sharing space in the Methodist church building with other local churches. The Presbyterian church built its own sanctuary in 1869-70 and moved it to this site in 1892. During the 1890s, the congregation helped bring Trinity University to Waxahachie, which greatly increased membership. Although the university later moved to San Antonio, the church continued to grow in programs, service and outreach, including a close relationship with the Presbyterian Children's Service. (2003) #13193

402 N College, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Ellis County Woman's Building (Davis Hall). Dallas architect Bertram C. Hill designed this building, erected in 1925-26 on land deeded by Quincy Davis Getzendaner for a public park and a "rest room" for rural women who came to town with their families on market days. Intended in part as a memorial to Mrs. Getezndaner's parents, the building includes an auditorium called Davis Hall. Built with financial support from the city, county and local women's clubs, the Woman's Building exhibits Tudor Revival design features in its arched entryways, cross gables, casement windows and patterned brickwork. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2006 #13611

407 W Jefferson St, Waxahachie, TX, United States

4727216523 e97516478f m
Getzendaner Memorial Park Established in 1889, Getzendaner Memorial Park was originally named West End Park as part of Waxahachie’s West End addition. By the early 20th century, it became Chautauqua Park, named for the annual retreat held on its grounds through 1930. Chautauqua assemblies began in western New York in the 19th century as cultural program events, typically held during summer at pastoral settings. From 1900 the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and later local citizens, held Chautauqua retreats here. For two weeks each year, thousands would gather from throughout Texas and Oklahoma for the program, erecting tents for housing on the park grounds. During the assembly, restaurants, a barbershop, a telephone booth and a post office could all be found in the park. In addition, numerous tents served dining, religious and social needs. An auditorium constructed in 1902 replaced the former assembly hall, which the Chautauqua had outgrown. The new structure became the stage for lectures, concerts and other performances. Later, the building would be used for other occasions, such as high school graduations. The park has hosted other events, including a Confederate soldier reunion, which is noteworthy for the participation of W.H. Getzendaner, for whom the park was renamed in 1914. Born in 1834, Getzendaner moved to Waxahachie in 1858 and later served in the Civil War. Residents held many other events at the park over the years, including speaking engagements for orator and presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan in 1909 and humorist Will Rogers in 1927. With historic ties to the early Chautauqua years, the park remains a gather place for civic and religious events.

Getzendaner Memorial Park, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Parsons cavalry c.s.a., waxahachie, texas historical marker (7022432191)
Parsons' Cavalry C.S.A.. Originally comprised of men from Ellis and surrounding counties. Organized for Civil War service at Rockett's Spring (4 mi. E. of this site), Sept. 1861, unit was trained and commanded by Col. William H Parsons, Mexican War veteran, colorful duelist, editor, merchant, and lawyer. In a confederate brigade, this unit was joined with 12th, 19th, and 21st Texas Cavalry regiments, Morgan's Battalion and Pratt's Battery, to scout and fight in Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Indian Territory. It was famous for attacks on federal ironclad ships, Red River campaign, 1864. #7137

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Old Ellis County Jail. Due to overcrowding in the existing jail facility, this structure was completed in 1888. The Ellis County Commissioners Court awarded the contract to Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri. A round turret with conical roof dominates the design. Decorative brick corbeling runs below the cornice. The two-story brick and stone jail contained the Sheriff's family residence on the first floor. There were twenty 4' X 8' cells which accommodated two prisoners each. The solitary confinement and death cells were in the basement. A rotary system, one of the few in the United States, was installed to prevent escapes. A cylinder contained a group of ten cells. The outer walls were stationary jail bars with only one opening. The cylinder turned to provide access to the single door. The entire jail yard was enclosed by a fence of iron bars. Bloodhounds were kept in the yard in the early days. After a new county jail was constructed in 1929, this facility housed the relief work commission during the depression. Afterward a variety of commercial enterprises occupied the space. #7094

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Waxahachie city cemetery marker
Waxahachie City Cemetery. The first burial here occurred on Jan. 1, 1852, after the death of pioneer merchant Silas Killough (b. 1805), one of the founders of this community. The original 4.16 acre tract was given in 1858 to trustees of the Methodist church by Emory W. Rogers (d.1874), who was Waxahachie's first settler (1846) and donor of land for the townsite. About 1900, the cemetery was transferred from church to municipal jurisdiction. By gifts and purchases of additional land, the site has grown to 65 acres and contains about 10,000 graves. #7157

W. Hawkins St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Site of Marvin College. The Northwest Texas Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church South, built a college named for Bishop E.M. Marvin at the site in 1870-71. Waxahachie Methodists and others gave land, services, and money to develop the college. Distinctions were attained in music and chemistry teaching. The astronomical observatory was an outstanding feature. The enrollment reached about 250. Financially troubled, the college stressed practical studies in the 1880s, but closed in 1884. The City of Waxahachie then bought the property and used it to house its original public school. #7119

101 E. Marvin, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bessie Coleman. (1892-1926) Born in Atlanta, Texas, pioneer aviatrix Bessie Coleman grew up and went to school in a Waxahachie neighborhood a few blocks north of this site. At age 23 she moved to Chicago and first expressed her desire to fly. Since there were no flight schools in this country that would teach African American women, Coleman learned to fly in France and obtained her international pilot's license in 1921. Upon her return to the United States, she was hailed as the first black woman pilot. Extremely popular, "Queen Bess", as she was known, performed as a barnstormer for integrated audiences at air shows and exhibitions around the country before her death in an air accident in Jacksonville, Florida. (2001) #12451

430 E. MLK, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Baptist Church of Waxahachie. Organized in 1861 by twelve citizens meeting in the Methodist church, the Baptist congregation elected W.H. Stokes as its first pastor. The group met in several locations until their first church building was completed in 1883. Several successive structures were built, and the present facilities were begun in 1949. The present sanctuary was dedicated in 1959. A part of Waxahachie history for over 125 years, the First Baptist Church has concentrated its efforts on Baptist missionary activities and community assistance projects. #7102

201 McMillian St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The Mahoney-Thompson House. Constructed in 1904 by Dennis Mahoney, contractor and builder. He came from Connecticut to Texas in late 1800s to build Trinity University in Waxahachie (now in San Antonio). Cornerstone was laid March 21, 1902. He later moved to Waxahachie and erected this stately house, which later belonged to family of his son-in-law, W.B. Thompson. The building is now restored by the Ellis County Historical Museum and Art Gallery, Inc. #7118

604 W. Main St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Eddy O. Hawkins Home. Eddy Pennell Hawkins, a member of a pioneer Ellis County family, built the first two rooms of this home soon after he wed Netta Lewis Carson in 1878. In 1900 he enlarged it to its present three-story style, a reflection of his position as a successful businessman and civic leader. The Late Victorian style home exhibits Queen Anne and Shingle style influences. It features beveled window glass, neo-classical porch details, and a shingled second story. #7112

200 S. Hawkins St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
N. P. Sims Library and Lyceum. A pioneer among privately - endowed Texas libraries. Situated in Getzendaner Park, which had been donated to the city on Dec. 31, 1895, by Capt. W.H. Getzendaner (1834-1909), and attorney, Confederate veteran, banker, and president of the Dallas & Waco Railroad. Nicholas P. Sims (1806-1902), a native of Virginia who settled in 1833 in Ellis County and prospered as a farmer and investor, endowed the library and lyceum in 1902, naming as trustees his stepsons O.E. and S. W. Dunlap, along with George H. Cunningham. Architect S. Wemyes Smith of Fort Worth designed the Neo-Classical building, using Carrara marble and other fine structural materials. The library opened in April 1905. Books and reading rooms were on the first floor, with the auditorium, athenaeum, anterooms, and stage for performing arts on the second floor. Braden and Jones designed the wings. The west wing was financed (1958) by an Ellis Countian, the talented inventor, J. Harry Phillips (1872-1962). Industrialist W.H. Larkin and Mrs. Larkin financed (1965) the east wing. Other major gifts were received from sale of the home bequeathed by 1938-52 city secretary Robert A Watson and Mrs. Watson, and from sale of the farm of Judge Oscar E. Dunlap. #7149

515 W. Main, Waxahachie, TX, United States

6890232470 eee7595c0c m
210 feet north 36 east of this point is the exact site of a Confederate Powder Mill. Erected in 1862 by William Rowen. On April 29, 1863 it was destroyed by an explosion and its owner killed. Also killed was Joshua G. Phillips. #7989

300 Block of N. Rogers St., Waxahachie, TX, United States

4727924814 6e589b30e6 m
Paul Richards Park. This ballpark has hosted athletic events since the early 20th century. By 1914, local officials began planning for a field to attract a major league baseball team to train in Waxahachie. After various team representatives visited in 1915, local businessmen formed the Waxachie Ball Park Association to raise funds. The Detroit Tigers decided to train here in 1916 if facilities were satisfactory. Builders soon completed the field, known as Jungle Park. It included a grandstand and bleachers, and its field measured 360 feet down both foul lines and 412 feet from home plate to the center field fence. The Tigers trained here in 1916 and 1917, and the Chicago White Sox and Cincinnati Reds, as well as the Kansas City Blues of the American Association, followed in subsequent seasons. The Reds won the World Series the year they trained here (1919). The diamond also served as an athletic field for Waxahachie High School. In 1922, when the Chamber of Commerce began managing the property, a flood damaged the site. Although the grandstand was dismantled and rebuilt at the high school campus in 1923, Jungle Park continued to be used by teams, including one organized by the Woodmen of the World; for a time the field was also known as Woodman Park. During World War II, it fell into disrepair until Waxahachie native Paul R. Richards, a major league player and manager, again stirred local interest for baseball. Renamed Paul Richards Park, the field reopened in 1946 with lights for night games and a terrace system to prevent flooding. In following years, many local teams and organizations have used the field, which the school district purchased in 1965. (2007) #13956

?, Waxahachie, TX, United States