United States / Weatherford, TX

all or unphotographed
12216354503 db6d3d2342 m
Clark Cemetery. #17320

1390 Friendship Road, Weatherford, TX, United States

Subjects
12158261015 62a9424944 m
Franco-Texan Land Company Building. In the late 19th Century, this building was a centre for political and economic life for the town of Weatherford and for Parker County. It was built around 1870. James Robertson Couts and John A. Fain established the first bank west of Dallas in this building, after Couts made a fortune selling cattle out west. Couts operated the bank with several partners, including Henry Warren, until 1877. Warren, a freighting contractor and thoroughbred stockbreeder, had previously been associated with the Warren freight train massacre of 1871. Couts and Warren dissolved their professional relationship in 1877 and sold the building to Samuel Willis Tucker Lanham, later Govenor of Texas (1903-1907). Lanham practiced law with other attorneys, such as A.J. Hood Sr., in second storey offices. During the 1890s, the structure served as the officess for the troubled Franco-Texan Land Company, headed by Hood. The Company was integral in the development of Texas land between Weatherford and El Paso along the Texas and Pacific Railway corridor. During this period the safe, from the Fidelity and Safe Deposity Company, was installed at the rear of the building. S.W.T. Lanham sold the property in 1906 to William Boone. The Franco-Texan Land Company building, previously known as the Couts Building and the Western Union Building, is an example of a typical vernacular storefront commercial building found in Texas during the last quarter of the 19th Century. The two-storey masonry fronted building features a brick exterior, stone string courses, french doors with fanlight transoms, and double-hung windows. #17253

118 Houston Avenue, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Chandor Gardens. #16883

?, Weatherford, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Tucker House. #17252

245 Tucker Drive, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Bose Ikard. (July 1834 - January 4, 1929) Born a slave in Mississippi, Bose Ikard came to Texas as a child with the family of his owner, Dr. Milton L. Ikard. He remained as an employee of Dr. Ikard following his emancipation, but in 1866 joined a cattle drive to Colorado led by Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving. Ikard became one of Goodnight's best cowboys and a trusted friend. Following his work in the cattle drives, Ikard settled in Weatherford. He and his wife Angeline were the parents of six children. When he died in 1929 at age 85, Goodnight had a granite marker erected at his grave. (1990) #461

Front Street, at Old City Greenwood Cemetery, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Colonel Alfred G. Cooper. Seminole Florida War, 1836. Captain in Mexican War, 1846. Lt. Colonel Confederate Army, 1862. Born in Tennessee, June 22, 1817. Died February 28, 1883. (1936) #956

Spring Creek Cemetery, on FM 51, S of Weatherford, Weatherford, TX, United States

12136005363 2f329c825c m
On September 20, 1898, Robert P. Lowe and his wife purchased the property at this site. The commonly held belief is that the house was built by Robert Lowe, who retired from Mobile and Ohio Railroad in 1894 and settled his family in Weatherford. He built the home sometime between 1897 and 1899 during construction of the building that would house his hardware business. Due to a fire that destroyed the Parker County Courthouse in 1874 early records of the home are non-existent. The earliest Sanborn map is for 1885 that depicts a home at the current location and the 1894 map depicts the same home which strongly suggests that a pre-existing structure was expanded or remodeled in the 1890s. The Wright House represents the Queen Anne style, but with minimal modifications. In 1905, the back porch was enclosed to create a bathroom, closets were added in the bedrooms and the kitchen was remodeled. The original transoms are still in place as is the stained-glass transom panel over the front door. After the death of Robert Lowe in 1920 and his wife Evalina in 1924, the house was eventually sold to Nannie Hauser in 1927. James Claude and Marie Wright purchased the home from Hauser in 1940. James Wright started a business selling street signs to small towns and established National Trade Days to help promote small businesses. The descendants of James Wright occupied the home until 1972. In 2009, the city of Weatherford purchased the home to prevent demolition and convert the space to city offices. This historic home’s architecture and ties to the Lowe and Wright family enhance Weatherford’s historic fabric. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2012 Marker is property of the State of Texas

202 W. Oak St., Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Plant of Acme Brick Company. One of earliest North Texas brick factories. Built in 1891 by George Bennett. Plant site located here because of large deposits of quality shale near Brazos River. Kilns were fired with locally mined coal; later with wood; then gas. Plant used mule-drawn wagons for short deliveries; the nearby T. & P. Railway for statewide sales. By 1966, its 75th anniversary, Acme is the largest maker of face brick in the United States. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966. #1811

Bennett Road, 4 mi. off IH 20, W of Weatherford, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First United Methodist Church of Weatherford. Organized in 1857, this congregation built a meetinghouse in 1867 at Walnut and Church Street. In 1886 a tornado destroyed the first sanctuary. This structure was begun three years later under the leadership of the Reverend James Mackey. The Victorian Gothic edifice with its elaborate tower was dedicated in 1893. The same type of limestone was later used in building additions to the church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1979. #1899

S. Main at Columbia, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Spring Creek Community. Settlement of this area of Parker County began in 1854, with the arrival of the T.J. Shaw family from Tennessee. They built a log cabin on the south branch of Spring Creek and the community which built up in the area was named for the creek. As more settlers arrived, the community grew to include a number of homes and farms. Jeff W. Pittillo arrived in 1855 and he and his family eventually donated land to the community for a school, church, and cemetery. A.L. Pickard brought his family and three slave families to the Spring Creek area in 1856. Congregations of the Methodist, Baptist, and Cumberland Presbyterian churches were formed. A tabernacle (built in 1914 from a 1904 brush arbor) and a 1917 schoolhouse remain in the community. The Spring Creek Cemetery contains the graves of many area pioneers. The earliest documented burial, that of Humphrey Price, dates to 1856. Also, included among the burials are a number of unmarked graves and interments of slave families, as well as the grave of Alfred G. Cooper, veteran of the Texas Revolution and the Civil War. Descendants of many Spring Creek pioneers still reside in this vicinity. (1990) #5015

FM 51 S of Weatherford about 8 mi., Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Isaac Parker. To the memory of Isaac Parker pioneer, soldier and law maker. Born April 7, 1793 in Elbert County, Georgia. Came to Texas in 1833. Served in Elisha Clapp's Company in 1836. Member of Congress of the Republic of Texas, 1839-1845, of the Constitutional Convention in 1845. State Senator. Died April 14, 1883 in Parker County. (1936) #2656

Eagle Rd. off FM 730, NE of Weatherford, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Isaac Parker. A native of Georgia, Isaac Parker came to Texas in 1833 as part of the pioneer family that built Fort Parker in Limestone County. He fought in the Texas Revolution and served in the Republic of Texas Congress, representing part of East Texas. He participated in the 1845 Statehood Convention and later represented Tarrant and Ellis Counties in the State Legislature. In the 1850s, Parker introduced the bill creating this county, which was named in his honor. Recorded, 1986. #2655

Eagle Rd. off FM 730, NE of Weatherford, Weatherford, TX, United States

14131429471 f93d45dcdd m
Grace First Presbyterian Church Three congregations, the earliest founded in 1859, joined forces in Parker County to create Grace First Presbyterian Church. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the oldest of the three congregations, focused on education as an important ministry to this church. The Pioneer School at Veal Station was deeded to the church to improve the education of Parker County's youth. The Texas Female Seminary was established in 1889 by the Presbyterians and flourished until 1911 when it was sold to the Weatherford Sanitarium. The Weatherford Presbyterian Church (later the First Presbyterian Church) was established by the P.C.U.S. in 1874. When the Rev. H. A. Tucker, related to the Northern Branch of Presbyterianism, was mistakenly called by the Weatherford Presbyterian Church, the result was the establishment of the First Presbyterian Church U.S.A. Grace Presbyterian Church, a U.S.A congregation, in 1906 grew out of the Cumberland Congregation. Grace and First informally joined forces in 1927 after prayer and consideration. In 1964 the Weatherford congregations merged to organize as Grace First Presbyterian Church. Members have contributed to the community in numerous ways, including the establishment and continuing support of Manna Storehouse, Inc., the first community-based agency to provide food and clothing for Parker County's needy citizens. Grace First members helped establish the Parker County chapter of Habitat for Humanity and are also active in the work of the Fort Worth Presbyterian Night Shelter. In 1974, Grace First Presbyterian Church celebrated 100 years of worship and service in the Weatherford Community by moving into a new building, and continues to worship and serve the Parker County community to this day. (2012) Marker is property of the State of Texas

606 Mockingbird Ln., Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Oliver Loving. Founder of three major cattle trails, Oliver Loving came from Kentucky to Texas in 1845 and to Parker County about 1855. During the Civil War (1861-65), he supplied beef to Confederate forces. With Charles Goodnight as partner on a drive to New Mexico, Loving scouted ahead of the cattle, was badly wounded by Indians, lay five days without food before his rescue, and died of gangrene on September 25, 1867. His dying wish was fulfilled when his son Joseph joined Goodnight to bring the body 600 miles by wagon for burial in this county. Recorded, 1977. #3850

Front St. in Greenwood Cemetery, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Parker County Poor Farm and Cemetery. Created in 1883, a farm near this site housed the county's indigent citizens. Farm residents and some county convicts worked to grow crops and raise livestock. Although entire families were once housed at the farm, by the 1930s the residents were mostly elderly. Their barracks-style house was moved to Weatherford in the 1940s after the farm was closed. A small cemetery was created here, and contains one legible marker. Additional grave sites have been marked with bricks. The earliest documented burial is from 1904, and the last was in 1937. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986. #3940

Tin Top Rd., S of Weatherford, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Porter Cemetery. Robert Scott Porter (1795-1877), first Parker County judge, dedicated this land near his cabin as a family cemetery in 1867 after the death of his 3-year-old granddaughter Syrene E. Newberry. Judge Porter's grandson Elbert T. Doss (1847-1869) and the judge's daughter Mary, her husband, W.G. Light, and child were killed by Indians and buried here. This site may contain about 50 burials, but only 28 are identified. The graves of Judge Porter and his wife Nancy Ann (Pearce) (1806-1901) are here. Their daughter Elizabeth Jane Doss Upton (1826-1908) was the last burial. Porter family descendants restored this cemetery in 1976. (1978) #4083

US 180, 10 mi. W of Weatherford, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
R. W. Kindel House. Druggist R.W. Kindel (1847-1931) built this Second Empire-style Victorian home about 1881. The 20-inch-thick native stone walls were topped by a concave mansard roof. A coal furnace in the cellar with vents leading into each room provided an early form of central heating. In 1895 Kindel sold the structure to Jasper Haney. Other owners included W.F. Bowden, who enlarged the lower floor in the 1920s. Mr. and Mrs. William A. Bass purchased the house in 1972. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1975. #4155

402 W. Spring St., Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Santa Fe Depot. Application The Texas Historical Building Medallion enclosed. #4576

Fort Worth St., Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
All Saints' Episcopal Church. #15380

?, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Shaw House. Tennessee native Thomas J. Shaw (1819-1904), a farmer, rancher, and carpenter, migrated to Parker County in 1854. Two years later he built the original log room of the this house. He and his wife Louisa Ann (Long) (1827-1890) lived in the cabin for twenty years during which time eight of their thirteen children were born. In 1876 Shaw enlarged the cabin by adding the board and batten room. This double-pen structure served as the Shaw's residence until their deaths. Later used as a storage shed, the structure remained in the Shaw family until 1975. (1982) #4662

Kemp Rd. off FM 51 S of Weatherford, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
All Saints' Episcopal Church. Bishop Alexander C. Garrett of Dallas visited Weatherford in June 1875. He organized a mission church here the following February with five communicants. The congregation called the Rev. Edwin Wickens, then serving at a mission at Fort Worth, to preach the fourth Sunday of each month as their first pastor. A small stone church was completed in 1879 on land that later became the site of the Weatherford City Hall. The early years proved to be financially challenging for All Saints' Episcopal Church, and by 1921 the bishop had sold the church property. The congregation reorganized, and new property on this site was given by parishioner Maggie Coleman Foat in memory of her daughter. Services were held in the homes of members until a new building was constructed in 1923 for $10,424.00. A rectory was built in the same year. Upon her death in 1943, Maggie Coleman Foat left stock in the First National Bank of Dallas to be used for the salary of a full-time priest. Noted portrait painter Douglas Chandor (1897-1953) served on the vestry from 1945 to 1947. A parish hall was placed on the premises in 1947, and in 1964 the church and rectory were joined to form an educational building. In 1996 the church celebrated 120 years of rich history and heritage. All Saints' Episcopal Church of Weatherford continues to uphold the traditions of its founders. (1998) #12140

125 S. Waco, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Walker Bend Community and Cemetery. Located in Parker County on a bend in the Brazos River, the Walker Bend Community was named for W.J. Walker (1821-1901) who settled in this area in the 1860's. By 1884 settlers established the Walker Bend School that served students until 1925. The nearby cemetery contains 24 recorded graves including pioneers and Walker Family members. The oldest recorded grave is that of Thomas Walker, in 1878, infant son of W.J. Walker and his wife "Aunt Jenny" Walker. The cemetery, neglected for many years, was restored by the Abandoned Cemetery Association in 1993. (1996) #5705

6705 Horseshoe Bend Rd, Weatherford, TX, United States

Weatherford, texas historical marker (6831795920)
Weatherford. Founded 1856. Named for Jefferson Weatherford, state senator and a confederate soldier. Frontier people found protection here from constant Indian threat during Civil War. Long the only town between Fort Worth and El Paso. Home of Chandor Gardens and Texas Railroad Museum. Nearby is Double Log Cabin Museum. (1964) #5731

US 180 on Courthouse grounds, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Wright Cemetery. Located on land given by early settler L.F. Wright for a Union Church and School in 1874, this cemetery is one of the few remaining physical reminders of the Wright Community. Although L.F. Wright and his wife are not buried here, the cemetery does contain the graves of some of their family. The oldest marked grave is that of the wife and child of Wright's brother, R.A. Wright. Juda F. Connell Wright, with her infant daughter, died in 1876. Other families represented here include Byas, Ewton, Erwin, Mitchell, and Moughon. Plain rocks mark some early burials. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986. #5912

Denton Rd. about 6 mi. N of Weatherford, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Central Christian Church. This congregation was founded in 1894 by sixty-five former members of the First Christian Church (now South Main Church of Christ). Known in its early years as Central Church of Christ or Central Christian Church, the congregation's first pastor was the Reverend W.H. Bagby. W.R. Vivrett and F.O. McKinsey served as the first elders, and the first Board of Deacons consisted of W.H. Hemphill, W.B. Wells, and W.K. Shropshire. The congregation's first building was a stone structure located at the corner of West Oak and Houston Streets, one block south of the Courthouse Square. Dedicated on May 13, 1894, and enlarged in later years, it continued to serve the members for seventy years. The Whitt Christian Church in northwest Parker County disbanded in the 1950s, making the Central Christian Church the only Disciples of Christ congregation in Parker County. The need soon arose for larger church facilities. Land at this site was purchased in 1960, and a new sanctuary was dedicated on May 10, 1964. The original church building became a museum. An important part of Parker County history since its founding, Central Christian Church continues to serve the community with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs. (1990) #790

1602 S. Main Street, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First District Court in Parker County, Site. #14853

?, Weatherford, TX, United States

4818095835 95d62ca185 m
Texas Pythian Home. The Texas Grand Lodge of the Knights of Pythias considered building a home for dependent widows and children as early as 1886. In 1897 the Grand Lodge Convention started a fund to establish such a home. Both the Knights and the Pythian Sisters of Texas contributed to the fund, and in 1905 the decision was made to find a location and to make plans for the construction of the home. The cornerstone for the massive main building was laid at this site near Weatherford in 1907. Of brick and stone construction, the building exhibits Moorish influences and contains 52 rooms. The first floor originally housed the girls' dormitory, a dining room, and the kitchen, while the second floor served as the boys' dormitory and contained an auditorium. Additional dormitory facilities were built later and are joined to the main building by arched walkways. Originally known as the "Widows and Orphans Home and Industrial School", the establishment opened in 1909, with the first residents coming from Amarillo, Sherman, and Beaumont. Over the years, it has served a great need in caring for dependent widows and orphans. The main building of the Texas Pythian Home has long been a landmark in Parker County. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986. #5266

1825 E Bankhead Drive, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First National Bank of Weatherford. Founded in 1880, this is the fifth oldest federally chartered bank operating in Texas. It was started under the direction of Samuel H. Milliken (1846-1931), a Parker County industrialist and civic leader and a founder of the railway company that completed the first lines to Weatherford. Walter S. Fant, who worked here for 54 years, and other bankers maintained a sense of community dedication. For over 100 years the First National Bank has led in the development of the city from the days of frontier Indian raids to the current era of industrial and agricultural growth. (1981) #1801

220 Palo Pinto, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Redgate, Samuel J.. #14867

?, Weatherford, TX, United States

Parker county courthouse, weatherford, texas historical marker (6977913189)
Parker County Courthouse. Scene of many noted trials. Built 1884-86. Cost $55,555.55. Fourth courthouse in history of county, organized 1856. An oak on Fort Belknap Road was court site that year. In this building practiced S.W.T. Lanham, who was Governor of Texas 1902-1906. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965. #3939

College St. & US 180, Courthouse Square, Weatherford, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
James Robertson Couts. (1833-1904) A native of Tennessee and a veteran of the Civil War, James Robertson Couts brought his family to Parker County in the mid-1860s. With proceeds from a cattle drive to California, he opened a bank in Weatherford (now Citizens National Bank). An influential citizen of the town, he left an endowment to Weatherford College in his will. Married twice, Couts was the father of six children. He is buried here next to his first wife, Martha. Recorded -- 1990 #14430

?, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Samuel Willis Tucker Lanham. S.W.T. Lanham was born on July 4, 1846 to James and Louisa (Tucker) Lanham in South Carolina. He joined the Confederate Army in 1861, serving in the Third South Carolina Infantry, and was wounded at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, 1864. He wed Sarah Meng in 1866, and they moved to north Texas, relocating in 1868 to Weatherford, where he became a lawyer. He gained notoriety as a district attorney in the Warren Wagontrain Raid cases, and he served five terms as U.S. Congressman between 1882 and 1903. He began his first of two terms as Governor in 1902. Lanham retired to Weatherford in 1907 and served as a University of Texas regent. He died in 1908. (2006) #13301

Front St, N Mill St, Weatherford, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Weatherford College, Old. #15030

?, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Greenwood Community. Greenwood formed by the 1880s on land sold to T.D. Wythe and W.J. Fain, developing as a farming community. There were a number of vital institutions here, including the general store owned by Millard Cleveland, a sheriff from Missouri; the Greenwood Cemetery; Greenwood School, built in 1883 and home to area social activities and early worship services; and several church buildings, two of which were constructed by 1906. In 1928, local women organized the Greenwood Home Demonstration Club. By the 1960s, Greenwood also boasted a community center and volunteer fire department. The early settlement never developed as a town, but its story remains a vital part of Parker County history. (2007) #13911

1504 Greenwood Rd, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Holland, Gustavus Adolphus. #14924

?, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Double Log Cabin. #15585

?, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Baptist Church. #16994

306 Palo Pinto St., Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Fred Rider Cotten. #17010

?, Weatherford, TX, United States

Subjects
1933 city hall, weatherford, texas historical marker (6974295889)
1933 Weatherford City Hall. The construction of this city hall created many jobs for the unemployed in Weatherford during the hard times of the Great Depression. Weatherford citizens passed a bond election to provide funds for a new city hall and fire station in 1933, and construction began immediately on this structure, built on land designated early in the century for city hall and fire department use. Dedication ceremonies for the new facility were held on January 16, 1934. The art deco brick structure features vertical corbelled pilasters and stone coping and inserts. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1987. #35

100 block of Palo Pinto St., Weatherford, TX, United States

Citizens national bank, weatherford, texas historical marker (6977932307)
Citizens National Bank. James Robertson (J.R.) Couts (1833-1904), a native of Tennessee, brought his family to Texas in 1858. Soon after the end of the Civil War, in which he served with a Texas frontier guard unit, Couts embarked on a long cattle drive to California. After wintering in Colorado and selling his stock in California, he returned to Weatherford in 1868 with $50,000 in gold. In partnership with John A. Fain, he set up the Couts & Fain Bank on the Courthouse Square. By 1871 Fain had left the partnership and was succeeded by W.E. Hughes. At that time the bank was known as Hughes, Couts & Company. Two years later Hughes left, and Couts' new partner was Henry Warren. The institution was renamed J.R. Couts & Company. By 1882 Warren had left the company. Couts applied for a federal banking charter, which was granted under the name Citizens National Bank. A two-story stone building was completed on the corner of the Courthouse Square and N. Main Street in 1885. The bank continued to grow and prosper over the years, and in 1927 a merger was completed with the Parker County National Bank. Located in the same building for over one hundred years, Citizens National Bank is an important part of Weatherford's history. (1988) #869

101 N. Main Street, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Governor S.W.T. Lanham. A South Carolinian, Samuel Willis Tucker Lanham volunteered at age 15 and fought 1861-65 in the Civil War. In 1866 he married Sarah Beona Meng and moved to Texas. The Lanhams taught school, first in Bowie County, then in Weatherford. Admitted to the bar in 1869, Lanham in 1871 became district attorney for five counties, including Parker. Also in 1871 he began to build his home at this site, enlarging it later. His speeches in 1871 at the trial of Indian chiefs in the Warren Wagon Train Massacre brought him fame at age 25. Elected United States Congressman in 1882 for the 98-county "jumbo" district of West Texas, he served as a national lawmaker for 17 years. S.W.T. Lanham was the last Confederate veteran to be governor of Texas, 1903-07. He led in reviving East Texas iron works, began fiscal balance practices in state government, and invoked social justice. Laws made in response to his policies covered vital tax reforms, child labor curbs, uniform textbooks, and the Terrell Election Law to enable voters to nominate officials by ballot rather than in conventions. Governor and Mrs. Lanham had eight children, including U.S. Congressman Fritz Lanham. The Ex-Governor died here at his home and is buried in Weatherford. (1978) #2235

604 S. Alamo St., Weatherford, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
First Plant of Acme Brick Company. First manufacturer in Texas to make high-grade pressed brick. Founded 1891 by industrial pioneer George Bennett (1852-1907), developer of coal mining and other natural resources. Located here because of large deposits of shale near Brazos River. Bennett Community grew up around plant, with dormitory and store. The kilns were fired with local fuel; coal, then wood. Brick were shipped out by mule-drawn wagons or nearby Texas & Pacific Railroad. Before 75th anniversary in 1966, Acme became the largest maker of face brick in the United States. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966. #3872

IH 20 West, at Parker/Palo Pinto County line, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Old City Greenwood Cemetery. This cemetery was formally established by the Weatherford town council in 1863 when lots were surveyed and the exact cemetery location was staked. Previous interments were made in the unmarked streets of the town. The mayor directed those remains be moved to the new cemetery. Historian H. Smythe noted in 1877 that the cemetery was a "sadly neglected spot," without a fence. By 1925 the civic league and cemetery association had been formed. The accomplishments of its women members were many. In addition to site beautification, the driveways were widened and graveled. A water well and windmill were installed, and a sexton was employed to secure the grounds. Cemetery care declined in the 1930's and later. Among the estimated 1,000 graves are Civil War medal of honor recipient Chester Bowen; trail drivers Oliver Loving and Boze Ikard; cattleman and founder of the Citizens National Bank J.R. Couts; Governor of Texas (1902-06) S.W.T. Lanham and his son, congressman Fritz G. Lanham; veterans of many wars; and pioneers of early Texas history. Restoration of the cemetery began in the late 1980's. The site continues to serve the area. (1996) #3708

400 Front Street, Weatherford, TX, United States

Subjects
Parker county c.s.a., weatherford, texas historical marker (6990194243)
Parker County, C.S.A.. Part of a colonial grant to S.M. Williams and Stephen F. Austin, father of Texas, but with no permanent settlers before 1850, this county was created in 1855 and named for Isaac Parker, its legislative sponsor. By 1860 it had 4,213 people and in 1861 its voters favored secession 535 to 61. Oliver Loving, a settler, was an official stock raiser, furnishing beef to the Confederacy in the Civil War. He and 18 other men organized a full-time patrol against the frequent, bloody Indian raids. Citizens of adjacent counties took refuge here. In 1864 three local men were charged with treason. One admitted inviting federal General J.G. Blunt to come from the Cherokee nation and give Parker County protection from the Indians. General John R. Baylor, a local rancher, was an officer in the Arizona-New Mexico campaign to make the Confederacy an ocean-to-ocean nation, and after victories there became Governor of Arizona. He was in the Confederate Congress from 1863 to 1865. Parker County sent the Confederate army nine companies. Its Company E, 19th Texas Cavalry, served in Parsons' Brigade--which fought over 20 engagements in three years with considerable distinction. (1964) #3941

College St. at Courthouse Square, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Soldier Spring Park. Confederate soldiers are said to have camped here in the 1860s because of the inviting spring. In 1890, veterans used the site for their 25th reunion. During the next year, 55 acres were set aside as "Soldier Spring Park". Chautauqua programs (1910-28), circuses, town gatherings, other reunions, and the public hanging of a criminal (1908) occurred here before the park fell into disuse. The city dump, 1934-53, and then a caliche mine, the area reverted to park use in 1973. Civic groups joined to develop recreational facilities and restore natural beauty with native plantings. (1976) #4975

Thrush St. at Soldier Springs Park, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Thomas C. Snailum. A native of England, Thomas C. Snailum came to Texas in 1834, settling in Bastrop. He enlisted in the Texas Army in 1836, served during the Texas Revolution, and settled in Nacogdoches. After the war in 1840 Snailum married Mary Ann Rogers (1825-1875) of Robertson County, and the family lived in Robertson, Grimes, Leon, and Freestone counties before coming to Weatherford about 1866. Snailum was a cattle rancher until 1871, when he and his wife began operating the St. Charles Hotel. He remained a Weatherford citizen until his death in 1884. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986. #5466

Front St. at Greenwood Cemetery, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Weatherford Post Office. A postal station was first established in Weatherford in 1856. Facilities were located in several early buildings before this structure was completed in 1914. Judge J.M. Richards was postmaster at the time. Built on the site of a gasoline service station and an earlier wagon yard, the post office building was designed in the Classical Revival style. Prominent features include arched windows, quoins, a massive portico with columns, and an elaborate cornice topped by a balustrade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1988. #5732

117 Fort Worth Street, Weatherford, TX, United States

Merchants and farmers state bank, weatherford, texas historical marker (6831803976)
Merchants and Farmers State Bank. Chartered on January 22, 1889, as the Merchants and Farmers National Bank of Weatherford, this institution opened for business on March 15, 1889, with capital of $100,000. In 1909 the bank's directors voted to apply for a state charter, and the institution's name was changed to Merchants and Farmers State Bank. Originally located on the southwest corner of the town square, the bank has occupied this site on the northeast corner since 1893-94. Early leaders of the bank included E.H. Eddleman, President from 1889 to 1915; W.R. Woodhouse, President from 1915 to 1919; and J.H. Doss, Sr., President from 1919 to 1945. The Merchants and Farmers State Bank has played an important role in Parker County history as the primary lending source for many agricultural enterprises, local businesses, and home mortgages. The bank has maintained a strong civic commitment since its founding and supports a number of community and charitable activities. Continued growth over the years has led to the construction of modern banking facilities. Renamed Texas Bank in 1986, this bank has contributed to the growth and development of Parker County for over a century. (1990)

Cnr Trinity Ave and N Main Street, Weatherford, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Woolfolk-McCall House. One of the first brick homes in Weatherford, this structure was begun in late 1860s and occupied by Joseph A. Woolfolk (1836-1918), one of two attorneys who defended Indian Chiefs Satanta and Big Tree, charged in 1871 wagon train massacre. In 1879 it was purchased by lawyer George A. McCall (1849-1915) and greatly enlarged with stone and frame additions. After almost 100 years of ownership, the McCall family sold the house in 1972 to Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Wiley. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1975 #5904

202 S. Waco, Weatherford, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Newberry Commuinity. Robert S. and Nancy Ann Porter settled on the fertile land in this area in 1855. Robert Porter became the first county judge for the newly organized Parker County the following year. Among their early neighbors were the Baker, Cowan, Dick, Dillard, Doss, Hemphill, Hightower, Johnson, Kidwell, Lane, Nevil, Newberry, Peters, Potter, Simpson, Strain and Witherspoon families. The Brazos congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized on the fifth Sabbath in May 1868, near the town of Dennis. By 1871 many families had moved north to the Grindstone Creek area. Robert C. Newberry and his family hosted a Cumberland Presbyterian Church service in their home on April 23, 1871. The church became known as the Grindstone Congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, meeting in members' homes until Jim D. Newberry gave land for a church and cemetery in 1874. The earliest marked grave in the cemetery is that of sixteen-year-old R. W. Newberry, son of R. C. Newberry, who drowned in the Brazos River in 1879. A new frame building was erected for a church and school in 1880. The church became known as Newberry Cumberland Presbyterian Church in 1892, and the community took the Newberry name, as well. A tabernacle was built in 1901 and the school was moved to this site in 1903. In 1929 the school was consolidated with the Millsap School District. At the dawn of the 21st century, there were about 625 identified and 75 to 100 unidentified graves in the cemetery. Church meetings were held once a month. The Newberry church and cemetery remain as chronicles of those who shaped Parker County. (2000) #12149

?, Weatherford, TX, United States