South Africa / Johannesburg

all or unphotographed
The square was originally a wagon site on which many striker’s meetings were held. It was named after the activist Mary Fitzgerald in 1939. A militant defender or workers’ rights, she became known as Pickhandle Mary and was a leading figure of the in the strikes of 1911-1914. She became organiser of the Industrial Women’s league, President of the South African Branch of the International Workers of the World, and in the early 1920s, Deputy Mayor of Johannesburg. Throughout the 20th Century, the Square continued to be a popular meeting place for political, community, cultural and worker organisations. The tradition continues to today.

Mary Fitzgerlad Square, Newtown, Johannesburg, South Africa

In 1931, replacing a small building of the same name, architects Emley and Williamson used modern materials and Art Deco motifs for a new "Castle" in Eloff Street, which was then the city's most fashionable shopping street. Pre-cast concrete blocks provide a sense of strength and endurance; the central attic tower hints at a stronghold of the fortress, the keep. The flagpole right at the top which made it the tallest building in Johannesburg at the time enhances the notion of a citadel with pennant flying aloft.

170 Jeppe Street (corner Eloff), Inner City, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

To extend and strengthen the faith" PARKTOWN HOLY FAMILY CONVENT was established in 1905 by the Holy Family Sisters (Founded in France in 1820 by P.B. Noailles). ARCHITECT: J.F. Beardwood

40 Oxford Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, South Africa

The house dating from 1861 is one of the oldest in Johannesburg. For over 130 years, the farm was owned by the family of Cornelius Johannes Smit (born 1829). Each generation added to the character of the house. It began as a three-rimmed structure with walls of mud, a yellowwood celing and thatch roof. A tornado destroyed the thatched roof. A tornado destroyed the thatched roof in 1879, to be replaced with the present corrugated iron roof. By the late 1930s Cape Dutch gables were added. In 2007 the farmhouse was incorporated in the Gables Office Estate.

Gables Office Park, Tennis Road, Weltevreden Park, Johannesburg, South Africa

Pending installation

KPMG Wanooka Place, 1 Albany Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

This home was designed by Baker, Masey and Sloper in 1906 for Attorney Walter Webber and his wife, Margaret Ross, both keen gardeners. Their home was called Ednam. Webber came to Johannesburg in 1902 and established the firm Webber-Wentzel. He was a member of the Transvaal Legislative Assembly and represented Troyeville. In 1956 the house was acquired by Col Arthur Johnstone and his wife Eileen, who renamed it Valley Home, retaining the original garden.

49 The Valley Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The original house was designed in 1902 by architects , Aburrow & Treeby, for Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Aubrey Woolls-Sampson, co-founder of the Imperial Light Horse Regiment. Severely wounded at Elandslaagte, he remained with the regiment until the surrender of Pretoria. Thereafter he became an outstanding field-intelligence officer, ably assisted by African scouts. He was Knighted for his service during the war.

26 Woolston Road, Westcliff, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

This house was designed by Charles Aburrow in 1897 for Thomas Cullinan (later Sir), master builder and diamond mining magnate. Cullinan was not prepared to fight against the Boers. He took his family to his wife's home in the Eastern Cape. There he joined the Wodehouse Yeomanry, a purely defensive group of local farmers, yet they nearly captured General Smuts at Moordenaars Poort.

18 Ridge Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

First called Prospect Terrace in 1904, it was renamed The Valley Road in 1917. This road links Oxford Road, originally a private road, with Government or Old Pretoria Road, later Jan Smuts Avenue (the original mail coach route from the Cape to Pretoria. The north stands were developed firsts. These enjoyed a view towards the plantation of the Sachsenwald, now Forest Town, Saxonwold and the Johannesburg Zoo. The Valley Road forms part of the Parktown Ridge Heritage Area, which is enhanced by the architectural influence of Sir Herbert Baker and his partners. Acknowledgement is given to the financial assistance of the Valley Road Conservation Trust, which was founded by the late Taco Kuiper, who lived in The Bell House.

The Valley Road, Parktown, Johannesburg (Plaques on the Jan Smuts and Oxford Road sides), Johannesburg, South Africa

ZOO LAKE AREA is part of the 81 ha area presented to Johannesburg in 1904 by Wernher Beit and Co. for the purpose of a public park to be known as HERMAN ECKSTEIN PARK. The Dam in this area (originally the old Braamfontein Farm) was enlarged in 1906 and the Coronation Fountain commissioned in 1937.

Zoo Lake, Saxonwold, Johannesbug (Plaques appear on the boathouse) , Johannesburg, South Africa

In 1898 a Swiss Chalet was built here for merchant Carl Rolfes. In 1906 it was bought by Randlord and MP Sir Lionel Philips, chairman of Rand Mines. His influential wife Florence founder of the Johannesburg Art Gallery and described as 'No Ordinary Women', masterminded the creation of the present Villa Arcadia with Architect Sir Herbert Baker. Certain design features are mirrored in Pretoria's Union Buildings, designed by baker the following year. In 1923, under the S.A. Jewish Orphanage, it became 'The Arc', serving children for the next 78 years. Bought by HOLLARD in 2003, the Villa's original elegance and historic craftsmanship have been restored and are complemented by a modern art collection.

22 Oxford Road (Hollard Campus), Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Westcliff. The original buildings and stables, designed by architect Harvey Clayton in 1903, were built for William Lincoln Honnold, an American mining engineer and his wife, Caroline. They arrived in the Transvaal in 1902. Alterations by Herbert Baker in 1909 changed and enlarged the north facade and added the west wing. Further alterations were done in 1917 by Pearse and Ellis. Honnold was with Consolidated Mines Selection Co. Through his America contacts he helped facilitate part of the establishment of Anglo American Corporation of South Africa, becoming one of its permanent directors. The house was later occupied by Harold Thomson Dickinson, manager of De Beers mine. He was involved in manufacturing munitions during World War I and, in 1936, became a director in the Anglo American Group.

19 Pallinghurst Road (tbc), Westcliff, Johannesburg, South Africa

Built in March 1902 the house was designed by Herbert Baker for himself and members of Milner’s Kindergarten. Herbert Baker (later Sir) became the most influential architect in South Africa at that time. He lived here with his wife and family until 1912. Just north of the house stood one of the blockhouses built by the British in 1900 to guard the approaches to Johannesburg. This one commanded what was then Old Pretoria Road.

5 Rockridge Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The house was designed by EC Choinier in 1904 for Ohlsson's Breweries. The first occupant was Robert Kantor, their manager, who had been extensively involved in provisioning the Imperial Military Railways during the war. Thirsty soldiers gave a major impetus to local breweries including Ohlsson's which bought Thoma Breweries in Braamfontein in 1902 and by 1906 had built a much bigger plant, LION Breweries

Wits Business School, St David's Place, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Built for Richard Feetham in 1906 and designed by Baker, Masey and Sloper, this was the first house to be erected on this street. Feetham was brought to Johannesburg in 1902 as deputy town clerk - one of a group of Oxford graduates (Milner's Kindergarten) who were to assist in the reconstruction of the Transvaal after the Anglo-Boer War. This house became their meeting place. Here they drafted the Selbourne Memorandum, precursor to the Union of South Africa. Feetham was town clerk for four years, represented Parktown in parliament, served in the Cape Coloured Corps in World War I and become Judge-President of Natal and Chancellor of the University of the Witwatersrand. He lived here until 1922.

47 The Valley Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The monument to the mining industry by sculptor David McGregor pays tribute to Johannesburg's mining origins. The group of gold miners represents a typical underground team of 1936. They face west towards Langlaagte where the Main Reef was discovered in 1886. The artwork symbolises the contribution of the mining industry to the wealth and prosperity of South Africa. It was also intended as a peoples' monument and celebrates the working people who built the city. The Transvaal and Orange Free State Chamber of Mines presented the sculpture to the City of Johannesburg in 1964.

Rissik Street (below the Civic Centre), Braamfontein, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The meeting of a group of men including Max Langerman and BJ Penny resulted in the founding of a bowls and tennis club. The club was named after the suburb and permission was granted by the Royal Borough of Kensington, London, for the use of its Coat of Arms as the official badge of the club. The club is proud if its heritage and tradition.

Between Juno and Ivanhoe Streets, Kensington, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The Jameson Raid led the South African Republic (Z.A.R.) Executive to instruct Cmdt. A.F. Schiel to construct a fort around part of the existing gaol. Designed to control the town, railways and mines, the fort had two bastions for long-range guns linked by earth ramparts. Convict labour excavated and loaded rock and soil from the northern slopes.

Kotze Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

WALKING AWAY FROM WAR. On 6 October 1899 7000 Zulu workers, mainly men, left this site (the Showgrounds) where they had gathered the night before, to walk to their homes in Zululand and Natal. Unveiled 5-10-1999

Wits Gate, Enoch Sontonga Avenue, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Designed in 1918 for Mr and Mrs. T.J. Welch by Cook and Ralston, architects of the original Pretoria Town Hall, this gracious home was acquired in 1924 by Bridget and Edwin Orlando Leake. A staunch Wesleyan and a Rand pioneer Mr Leake served as a councillor on the Johannesburg Council for twenty-seven years without remuneration, and as mayor from 1925-1926. Orlando Township in Soweto was named after him in recognition of his concern for disadvantaged communities.

5 Wexford Avenue, Westcliff, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

This large double storey symmetrical home was designed in 1919 by J.M. Solomon and A.J. Marshall for W.H. Haig. The house is named for the ship's bell in the koppie stone archway to the entrance porch. Later owners were African Explosives (1928) and Dr. Francis (Pinky) Hill 1951, mining engineer and scientific researcher particularly into ventilation and dust control on the mines.

41 The Valley Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

On March 10 1922 the white miners strike turned into an armed revolt against Smuts' government. During the subsequent Rand Revolt the rebels briefly established control in Jeppe, among other districts. On March 11 over 600 mostly unarmed men of the Jeppe and Denver Workers' commandos led by Captain Hall MC launched a surprise attack on the army depot at Ellis Park. About 3 soldiers of 150 of the defending Imperial Light Horse regiments and unknown number of strikers died.

Corner Appolonia and Erin Streets, Doornfontein, Johannesburg, South Africa

This is one of the independent schools that provided formal education in the pre-apartheid era. After 'Bantu Education" was introduced in 1953, it fell under the control of the state, despite extensive protest action by the community.

44 8th Avenue, Alexandra, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

In 1912 Israel Haymond Commissioned Baker and Fleming to design the house as a gift to his bride. Hayman, an attorney, served with Marshall's Horse in Natal and was wounded at Acton Holmes near Spionkop. He returned to his unit and fought throughout the war, retiring with the rank of lieutenant. He received both Queen's and King's Medals with seven bars.

18 Jan Smuts Avenue, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The house was built in 1895 for Hennen Jennings, a mining engineer. In March 1901 it became the official residence of Sir Alfred (later Lord) Milner, British High Commissioner, and the man generally blamed for the outbreak of the war. As Governor of the Transvaal and Orange River Colonies, Milner introduced civil administration more than a year before the war ended and was responsible for the post-war reconstruction. He left South Africa in 1905.

Princess of Wales Terrace, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The original house was designed by Frank L.H. Fleming of Baker and Fleming in 1918 for Leopold Greenberg in the Arts and Crafts style, which favoured the use of traditional English vernacular forms, local materials and fine craftmanship. Greenberg started his legal practice in Johannesburg in 1909, was appointed judge at age 1939 and Judge-President of the Transvaal Provincial Division in 1938 (when he moved to Pretoria), eventually becoming a Judge at the Appeal Court . One of his famous judgements was in the Daisy de Melker trial. He received an honorary doctorate from the University of the Witwatersrand and was on the controlling board of the University of Jerusalem. Its Institute for Forensic Medicine, created from funds provided by the South African Jewish community, carries his name.

27 The Valley Road, Westcliff, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The first church on this site was built in 1919, and the second in 1930. The Church has long been associated with education in Alex and was used as a venue for meetings during the liberation struggle.

71 1st Avenue, Alexandra, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Architects Baker Masey & Sloper ST. GEORGE"S CHURCH PARKTOWN Main Structure: 1904 Chancel & Tower: 1910

7 Sherbourne Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Founded in 1898 to serve the local Coloured Anglican Community, a magnificent church designed by F.L.H. Flemming replace the old wood and iron building in 1928. The forced removal of the congregation in the 1960s threatened the survival of the Church. But in 1960 the offices of the diocese were located here under Bishop Leslie Stradling, who was then followed by Bishops Timothy Bavin, Desmond Tutu and Duncan Buchanan. St. Albans served as the Diocesan offices until 1987. It remains a potent reminder of the forced removal of the Coloured people from Ferreirasdorp and Marshalltown.

Corner of Miriam Makeba Street (Pat Mbatha Busway) and Anderson Street, Ferreirastown (Inner City), Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Erected in 1889 and added to in 1897, 1904 & 1908 ST MARY'S THE LESS ANGLICAN CHURCH is probably the oldest building in Johannesburg. Architects: Arthur and Walter Reid

39-41 Park Street, Jeppestown, Johannesburg, South Africa

Buildings on this property are among the few from old Sophiatown that escaped destruction during the forced removals of 1955-1960. St. Joseph's Home for Coloured Children was built as a memorial to 'Coloured' men who lost their lives in the First World War. The Home opened its doors in 1923. It was run by the Anglican Nuns, the Order of St. Margaret, East Grinstead, who remained in charge until 1978 when they left South Africa in protest against apartheid. The Main Block Boys' House and Priests' House were designed by the Diocesan architect F.L.H. Flemming. The Church successfully opposed removal of the Home because the property was on farm land and not part of the proclaimed township.

Entrance Corner of Hermans & Good Streets, Sophiatown, Johannesburg, South Africa

A highly visible landmark on the peak of this ridge, notable features are the house, terraced gardens and extensive view. Plans were drawn by a Scottish architect, Alexander Forest from 1928 and the house was built by J.M. Fernandez, who recruited mineworkers from Mozambique - they were probably used in the construction of the terraces in the gardens. In 1950 Julius Missak bought it and over twenty years accumulated a collection of ceramics and library of French Classics which he bequethed to the Rand Afrikaans University on his death in 1980 on condition that they established a centre for Armenian and Flemish culture. It is distinctive for its fine garden setting, clearly Madeiran in tradition, and is of a typical Portugese design. In 2005 it was sold and the house, gardens and outbuildings were completely restored.

60 Westcliff Drive, Westcliff, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Here stood the home of Dirk Jan Schuurman, a burgher of the ZAR, public prosecutor and a member of the Wanderers Club. When war broke out he remained at his post, but volunteered for the Rus en Order Kommissie, protecting the property of his absent British neighbours. Later he joined the political party Het Volk, which was bitterly opposed to Milner's programme of Anglicisation.

10 St Andrews Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The rock exposed in this cutting is a siltstone of the Orange Grove Quartzite formation, Witwatersrand Supergroup, formed by the accumulation of under water of particles finer than the usual sand. It is red in colour due to the presence of iron oxides, and consists of layers of slightly differing hue, resulting from the deposition of differing proportions of minerals. These layers were close to horizontal during the orignal sedimentation, but have since been tilted and now dip southward.

Kallenbach Drive, Linksfield, Johannesburg, South Africa

The road is named after Major Louis Irving Seymour, an American mechanical engineer and consulting engineer of Rand Mines. Seymour was the need for technical skills so raised and was second-in-command of the Railway Pioneer Regiment. He was killed in action at Zand River on 14 June 1900.

Seymour Avenue (plaque on the corner of Jan Smuts), Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The house was designed by architects, Leck and Emley, in 1904 for Dr W.T.F. "Billy" Davies, D.S.O., Surgeon-Major, Imperial Light Horse Regiment. Twice mentioned-in-despatches, Davies served as both a combatant and a medical officer and won the Distinguished Service Order during the Siege of Ladysmith. In 1906-7 as Lieutenant Colonel, he commanded the regiment.

13 Jubilee Street, Parktown, Johannesburg, South Africa

In 1924 Rosebank was identified as a test site for a new telephone exchange that was established here. The small building was substantially enlarged in the 1930s when the exchange was extended to cover the north and western areas of the City. Later it housed the Saxonwold Post Office. The building was unoccupied between 1995 and 2005 and was then converted into a boutique hotel, retaining the original facade, which is reminiscent of the 18th Century Cape Townhouse architecture. The building currently houses the Monarch Hotel and is a brief stroll from the Rosebank Gautrain Station.

167 Oxford Street, Rosebank, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

This house was designed in 1902 by architects, Leck and Emley, for Richard Baumann, an attorney who served on Milner's permit committee which controlled the return of Uitlanders to their homes on the Rand. Milner wanted to speed up their return from the wretchedness of the refugee camps, but the military authorities were reluctant to allow this, being more concerned about security and food shortages.

8 Ridge Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

When Johannesburg was proclaimed in 1886 on the triangular site Randjeslaagte the area of the town was nine square km. Randjeslaagte was a piece of ‘uitvalgrond’ – land left over from the farms surveyed around it, which was not considered suitable for farming. The beacon marks the apex of the triangle with its base running along Commissioner Street, from End Street in the East to Ntembi Pilisio Street in the West. This nine square km. remained the municipal area of Johannesburg until 1901. The original surveyor’s beacon was a white pole fixed in a cairn of rock and concrete. It was declared a national monument in 1965 and the cairn smoothed with cement.

Corner of Boundary Road and Louis Botha, Upper Houghton, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Mbuku 'Joe' Nhlanhla was a member of the ANC Youth League in the 1950s. He returned from exile in 1990 and participated in negotiations for a peaceful settlement in South Africa. He served as the Minister of Intelligence in President Mbeki's cabinet.

34 12th Avenue, Alexandra, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Erected 1904 St. Mary's College Architects: Brown & Cottrell A fine unaltered example of Free Style Classicism

61 Berg Street (Cnr Main), Belgravia, Johannesburg, South Africa

Frank Emley designed this home in 1913 for Henry Melville Taberer, a keen cricketer who headed the Native Labour Board. The house in the Arts and Crafts Idiom, expressing the philosophy of William Morris and repeating elements from his Red House. In 1937 Dr Bernard Friedman M.P. bought it. He was an ear, nose and throat surgeon and a founder of the Progressive Party. In 1986 it became the home of Dr Johan van der Wat and family. Like his father, he became a prominent gynaecologist. He was a member of the team that, in 1986, pioneered the world's first mother/daughter surrogate triplet pregnancy.

35 Valley Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The Poliso home is one of the original core houses built in Alex in the 1940s. It was the home of Topsy Piliso an activist in the 1950s and and founder of the anti-TB Association. -- It is interesting to note the May 2012 opening of 'Heritage Enterprise' a shop attached to the Piliso Home. Along with 'Heritage Corner' opposite the Mandela Home, it indicates a healthy growth in entrepreneurial activity associated with Alexandra's Heritage Sites.

82 3rd Avenue, Alexandra, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The first community hall in Alexandra was a venue for political meetings and cultural events and performances. Samora Machel, later to become President of Mozambique, lived in a room at the rear of the hall in the 1950s and 1960s." This information has been questioned and therefore needs further investigation by historians.

47 9th Avenue, Alexandra, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Situated on the South boundary of the property the Coach House was designed in 1903 by architects Baker, Masey & Sloper for Archibakd Balfour. Apart from stabling horse, it house the fodder and carriages to service the property. To the north was a tennis court and gardens which extended up the hill to the main house which is still standing. The Coach House was converted for office use in 1981/2.

Eton Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

In May 1976 learners at Phefeni Junior began boycotting classes in protest at the imposition of Afrikaans as a medium of instruction. Protests spread to Belle Primary, Thulasiswe Higher Primary, Emthonjeni and Khulangolwazi Higher Primary School. On June 16 all schools were to pass via Phefeni Junior en route to the destination of the march. It was near Phefeni Junior that police   began shooting and using teargas against students

7340 Vilikazi Street, Orlando West, Soweto, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The original house was based on a design done by Herbert Baker in 1903 for Raymond William Schumacher (Ffennel), but was only built some years later. Schumacher was a Captain in the Rand Rifles, the corps raised in 1900 to guard the gold mines from attack by the Boers. During the war the British erected a blockhouse on this property overlooking what was then Old Pretoria Road. The historic building and land were donated to the Hope School by Schumacher. Feel free to send additional photographs to jamesball01@gmail.com

Hope School, Pallinghurst Road, Westcliff, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

Albert Victor Lindbergh,co-founder in 1892 of the Central News Agency (CNA) bought Marienhof in 1916 during the First World War and changed the German name. CNA had its beginnings distributing newspapers, delivering directly to householders and vendors. It expanded into selling stationary and books, then began publishing school textbooks and the work of South African writers. After her death in 1939, Gladys Lindbergh continued living here until 1969 when her house was expropriated and demolished for the motorway. Parts of the stone garden walls, the gum trees and entrance gates remain.

32 Oxford Road (near M1 onramp), Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

This school, dating back to 1927, was built by the Apostolic Church. It was established when a number of smaller mission schools joined together to form a single institution, from which secondary education developed in Alexandra.

27, 32, 34 12th Avenue, Alexandra, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa

The house was designed by Baker, Masey and Sloper for John Dale Lace, owner of the Lace Diamond Mine, and his glamourous wife Jose. In January 1901 Dale Lace raised, and after the war commanded, the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles. Jose organised fundraising events and celebrated Peace on 31 May 1902 with a picnic for the children of nazareth House.

21 Rockridge Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, Johannesburg, South Africa