Recently added plaques
Bridge built 1416 site of Civil War skirmish 1645
, Oxford, United Kingdom
This building was a small part of the home of John Winchcombe (c.1489-1557) also known as 'Jack of Newbury' leading Tudor producer of dyed cloth, on an industrial scale two centuries before the Industrial Revolution. Exporter across Europe and beyond. Owner of Bucklebury and Thatcham. Leader of Newbury men to war for Henry VIII. The main part of this house was demolished to make way for Marks & Spencer.
, Newbury, United Kingdom
This building was erected by the famous clothmaker John Winchcombe, known as "Jack of Newbury" in the early 15th century and here he entertained Henry VIII and his queen Catherine of Aragon and Cardinal Wolsey shortly before his death in 1519. It was due to gifts from John Winchcombe and his son that the greater part of the present parish church of Newbury was built between 1500 and 1532.
24 Northbrook Street, Newbury, United Kingdom
Polar explorer Victor George Hayward [full inscription unknown]
Connaught Road, Harlesdon, London, United Kingdom
Roger Fenton (1819 - 1869) Pioneer photographer and co-founder of the Royal Photographic Society was born here 28 March 1819
Crimble Hall, Crimble Lane, Heywood, United Kingdom
Festival of Britain: The above clock was given by the Worthing School Children and accepted on behlf of the borough by The Mayor Councillor Mrs Rita E Summers JP (Festival Clock - The timepiece, known as the Festival Clock, was presented to former Mayoress Mrs Rita Summers in July 1952 by local school children along with an accompanying commemorative plaque)
Clock Tower on Worthing Promenade - behind Splashpoint Leisure Centre, 60 Brighton Road, Worthing, BN11 2EN, Worthing, United Kingdom
St Stephen's Orphanage (founded 1870) moved to this building from Trinity Lane after World War I. With the assistance of many notable patrons, including Dean Duncombe, the Worsley family of Hovingham and Dr W A Evelyn, it provided accommodation, support and training to hundreds of orphaned girls for over a century.
89 The Mount, York, United Kingdom
, Rome, Italy
Pete Curran MP 1860-1910 The pioneering socialist, trade union leader and first Labour MP for Jarrow lived at 1 Pretoria Avenue, since demolished, during the latter part of his life.
Pretoria Avenue, Walthamstow, London, United Kingdom
This Bandstand was restored by The Corporation of Dun Laoghaire in 1990 to mark The People's Park Centenary. It was officially re-opened on 29th Sept. 1990 by An Cathaoirleach Cllr. Barbara Culleton.
, Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
Erected by The Eastern Regional Tourism Organization as a tribute to Mr. Thomas J. Keating for his generosity in restoring James Joyce's Tower. Bloomsday - 16th June, 1972.
, Sandycove, Dún Laoghaire, Ireland
A pub called the Three Pigeons has stood here since the middle of the 18th century. A fire badly damaged the inn in 1916 and it was rebuilt two years later. The design of the new frontage was inspired by a late 17th century house on Oxford's High Street. Like many buildings on Guildford's ancient High Street, it is reputed to be haunted. Up until 1913 there were four other businesses between the Three Pigeons and the corner of North Street. On the corner itself stood the Ram Inn, constricting the width of the High Street and forming a bottleneck for the increasing motor traffic. The Ram and the other buildings were demolished and Barclays Bank built on a widened junction (now the Post Office). Between the Three Pigeons and Abbot's Hospital stood Gates' grocery. In 1882 it was inherited by Arthur and Leonard Gates, whose temperance convictions led them, so it is said, to pour all the wines and spirits into the gutter outside. Instead they concentrated on dairy products, and went on to found the successful firm of Cow & Gate
169 High Street, Guildford, United Kingdom
Edwardes Square 1811-1820 Partly built by a Frenchman, falsely rumoured to be an agent of Napoleon, derived its name from William Edwardes, 2nd Lord Kensington who then owned the land which was part of the Holland House Estate. An Act of Parliament was passed in 1819 for the maintenance of this late Georgian square
The Temple, S.Edwardes Square, Kensington, London, United Kingdom
Site of Highfield Road Stadium home of Coventry City Football Club 1899-2005
Signet Square, Coventry, United Kingdom
The Heroes was a popular local pub frequented by personnel serving at HMS Mercury, the Royal Navy Communications and Navigation School that occupied the 120 acre Leydene Estate a short distance from here from 1941 to 1993. [has not been erected yet]
The Heroes Public House, Waterlooville, United Kingdom
HMS Mercury. The Bat and Ball was a popular local pub frequented by personnel serving at HMS Mercury, the Royal Navy Communications and Navigation School that occupied the 120 acre Leydene Estate 2 miles north west of here from 1941 to 1993. HMS Mercury played cricket on Broadhalfpenny Down from about 1947 to 1992.
The Bat & Ball Public House, Hyden Farm Lane, Hambledon, United Kingdom
HMS Mercury. From 1952 to 1992 Broadhalfpenny Down cricket ground was leased and maintained by HMS Mercury, the Royal Navy's Communications and Navigation School at Leydene a mile to the north-west. It was also used for hockey. It was at Mercury that the Broadhalfpenny Brigands CC was formed in 1959.
Broadhalfpenny Brigands Cricket, Hambledon, United Kingdom
This stone marks the site of the ground of the Hambledon Cricket Club circ.1750-1787
, Hambledon, United Kingdom
HMS Mercury. The Bird in Hand was a popular local pub frequented by personnel serving at HMS Mercury, the Royal Navy Communications and Navigation School that occupied the 120 acre Leydene Estate a short distance north of here from 1941 to 1993.
, Lovedean, United Kingdom