Edward Gibbon 1737-1792 historian lived in a house on this site 1773-1783

A (Royal) Society of Arts plaque was erected on Gibbon's original house on this site in 1896, removed when that house was demolished in 1906-7. A proposal to 'medallionize' the rebuilt house in 1925 came to nothing, the question arising again in 1949 - it being ultimately decided that as No.7 was the only surviving house in London with any connection to Gibbon, an exception to the 'site of' rule could be made - before again coming to nothing due to refusal of consent from the house's owner. The LCC waited for a change of ownership and finally erected the replacement plaque in 1964.

Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Spudgun67 on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Spudgun67 on Flickr
Gwynhafyr on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
See also...
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons