Pioneer's Rest Cemetery. This burial ground was started in the summer of 1850 upon the deaths of Sophie and Willis Arnold, children of Major Ripley A. Arnold (1817-1853), commander of the troops at Fort Worth. Arnold's friend, Doctor Adolphus Gouhenant, set aside a three-acre burial site at that time. In 1871, after a cemetery association was begun, Baldwin Samuels gave three adjoining acres. Many early Fort Worth settlers, including 75 Civil War veterans, are buried here. This site also contains the graves of Major Arnold and General Edward H.Tarrant (1799-1858), for whom Tarrant County was named. #4038

QuesterMark on Flickr
QuesterMark on Flickr

600 block Samuels Ave., Pioneer's Rest Cemetery, Fort Worth, TX
Google Streetview

by Texas Historical Commission #4038 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.