Copeland Home (Dr. H. V.). Dr. H. V. Copeland Home Early Grand Prairie resident Barney P. Hale and his wife Ruth built this home for their family in 1902. The white clapboard residence, which features narrow windows and a high-pitched roof, is typical of early area farmhouses. In 1908 the Hales sold their home to local physician Dr. Horace Victor Copeland (1875 - 1969). A native of the pioneer Watson Community in Tarrant County, now part of the City of Arlington, Dr. Copeland was educated at Barnes University in St. Louis and Fort Worth University, where he graduated with a medical degree in 1901. After practicing medicine in Euless for a year, he moved to Grand Prairie, then a small railroad town of 500 people. Here he served residents of the surrounding rural area, often making calls on horseback. During his local medical career, which spanned more than fifty years, he delivered over 4,000 babies. Dr. Copeland was a prominent community leader and was active in the First Presbyterian Church and the Sam R. Hamilton Masonic Lodge. He and his wife Frances Willard Watson Copeland were the parents of two children, Frances and H. Victor. Following Dr. Copeland's death in 1969 the family home was owned by a grandson, Wayne Noble Doyal. 1982 #6658

QuesterMark on Flickr
QuesterMark on Flickr
QuesterMark on Flickr
QuesterMark on Flickr
QuesterMark on Flickr

by Texas Historical Commission #6658 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.