Greenville's Electric Light Plant. First municipally owned electric plant in Texas. Opened Mar. 4, 1891, on Town Branch. Steam engine, operating only at night, ran 2 dynamos for 40 street arc and 1000 home lights. Daytime use began 1909. Diesel installed 1933. Now has 8 diesels plus steam engine. #7797

2821 Washington St., Greenville, TX
Google Streetview

by Texas Historical Commission #7797 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.