Site of Henry and Emerson Colleges. Prominent early institutions. Henry College, founded in 1892 by educators Henry Bridges and Henry Eastman, was re-established and renamed in 1903 for writer Ralph Waldo Emerson. Closed 1907. Other early colleges in Hunt County were Calhoun (1887-1899), Texas Holiness (1899-1920), the Elmwood Institute (1898-1906), Burleson (1895-1931) and Wesley (1914-1937). Only East Texas State University (opened in 1894) still operates, in Commerce. Although short-lived, these colleges (like more than 200 chartered in Texas 1836-1875) helped shape early culture. #7802

by Texas Historical Commission #7802 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.