Majors Army Airfield. In 1941 the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) informed Greenville officials that the city would receive Federal assistance to build a civilian airport as part of the country's preparation for possible entry into World War II. In April 1941 U. S. Congressman Sam Rayburn notified Hunt County that the civilian airport project would become part of a $5 million Army Airforce training base housing 3,000 to 4,000 personnel and 300 airplanes. The base was named for Lt. Truett Majors, the first pilot from Hunt County killed in action in World War II. Construction of the base and three auxiliary airfields in the county boosted the local economy and provided employment for thousands of area residents. The base became fully operational on January 5, 1943. Majors Army Airfield provided cadet pilots with preflight and primary training. When not exercising, studying, or training in BT-13s and P-47s the cadets visited Greenville for recreation and to socialize with local citizens. In addition to U. S. Army Air Corps pilots, companies of \Women's Army Corps members, Royal Air Force pilots, and Mexican Air Force pilots were trained here. The base became an advanced training center before being deactivated on July 15, 1945. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995 #7815

Majors and FM 2101, Greenville, TX
Google Streetview

by Texas Historical Commission #7815 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.