Old National Road Crossing. One mile NE below junction of Short Creek and Sulphur River. The Central National Road of Texas (Republic) was created by act of Texas Congress, 1844, with intent to give the new nation a unified transportation route. From present Dallas to the head of navigation on the Red River, northwest of Clarksville, road linked to northeast Texas the military routes of west and central Texas; connected with routes east at Jonesborough and Paris. It failed to gain international status Congress hoped for, due to population shifts, coming of railroads and development of other routes. #7822

by Texas Historical Commission #7822 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.