Wesley United Methodist Church. Methodists who settled in the Greenville area were served by occasional circuit preachers as early as 1848. In 1850 a Methodist congregation formally was organized with thirteen charter members. Early worship services were held in the Hunt County Courthouse and in the Masonic Lodge building. Known as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, at Greenville until 1896, the fellowship adopted the name Wesley in that year. As Greenville's oldest organized congregation, Wesley United Methodist Church has played an important role in the town's development and heritage. #7837

by Texas Historical Commission #7837 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.