White Rock Community. Originally named Tidwell Creek, the settlement of White Rock began as a stop on the Sherman-Jefferson Trail. According to local tradition, the first settlers were members of the Jonas Havens family. A post office was established in 1857. Businesses in the town included stores, saloons, a blacksmith shop, a mill, and a gin. A school was in operation until the 1940s. Early traveling preachers served the religious needs of the community until two churches were organized. A decline in population occurred as a result of railroad expansion in other parts of the county. #7839

by Texas Historical Commission #7839 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.