First Methodist Church. City's first congregation and one of the oldest in Texas. Formed 1839 with Henderson Palmer as pastor. Noted Minister Littleton Fowler was presiding elder at organization. Methodists shared a structure with Crockett's other denominations until erecting a frame building on this site in 1864. The church was host to East Texas Annual Conferences on 1862, 1871, 1877, 1888. Present sanctuary, built in 1901-1902 of brick fired at site, is oldest extant house of worship in city. First sessions of newly-merged Texas Annual Conferences were held here, December 3-8, 1902. #11128

Marion & Steve on Flickr All Rights Reserved