Site of R. E. McConnell Property. John McConnell (1818-98) came to Crockett form Ireland in 1847 and opened a blacksmith shop at this site. Later, with his sons, he moved to another location and started a hardware business. An active civic leader, McConnell served as county treasurer and as city alderman. His son Robert Emmett McConnell (1867-1918). who built a home at this site in 1901, continued his father's business and also served prominently in local government. As a member of the city council in the early 1900s, he was an effective leader during a period of dramatic growth and change for Crockett. (1981) #11240

Photo of Black plaque № 23366
Jpo tx113 on Wikimedia Commons
Photo of Black plaque № 23366
Jpo tx113 on Wikimedia Commons

617 East Houston, Crockett, TX
Google Streetview

by Texas Historical Commission #11240 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.