Llano Woman's Culture Club. Local music teacher Jennie Clopton (1861-1904) organized the Woman's Literary Society with 16 charter members in 1901. The club established a public library, first called Clopton Library for the club's founder. Other projects of the renamed Woman's Culture Club included landscaping in public areas and scholarships. Club members coordinated a Works Progress Administration project to build a public library building here in 1938-39. Meetings were held at the library until 1953 when George Watkins bequeathed his home to the club. (1997) #12034

Photo of Black plaque № 24136
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
Photo of Black plaque № 24136
QuesterMark on Flickr
Photo of Black plaque № 24136
QuesterMark on Flickr

107 W. Sandstone, Llano, TX
Google Streetview

by Texas Historical Commission #12034 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.